New University of Michigan Tinnitus Discovery — Signal Timing

Discussion in 'Research News' started by Hudson, Jun 20, 2013.

1. DoNotGoGentle

DoNotGoGentle Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/15 got worse 11/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Earbuds, inner ear infection NHL and high frequency loss
      Yeah I spoke with her asked her about the trial she said still waiting for funding. Call back in a couple of months. Not much more to add sorry :(

• Informative Informative x 2
    2. Fabrikat

Fabrikat Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis then volume then viral infection
      Thanks for replying @DoNotGoGentle. You'd think if the device had already demonstrated efficacy, there'd be a pile of cash waiting to take it to the next level. Interesting!

• Agree Agree x 2
    3. NatureHiker
      Angelic

NatureHiker Member

Sad to hear that. I normally donate to Mass Ear and Eye, but maybe I'll shift it to Kresge. Not like it'll make any difference though.

I was really looking forward to this treatment advancing. Sucks it's stalled.

4. DoNotGoGentle

Tinnitus Since:
      10/15 got worse 11/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      The problem is it is government funded if it was private then it go much faster! They want to start phase II. We shall see!!!

5. NatureHiker
      Angelic

NatureHiker Member

Crossing my fingers NIH funds the next phase.

Additionally what phase are they on??? The clinicaltrials.gov page doesn't say https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT02974543 and I thought they didn't test efficacy in phase 1. Just safety. Unless they're doing the phase 1/2 then phase 2/3 kind of thing I've seen before.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    6. Aaron123

Aaron123 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      00/0000
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Irrelevant
      This isn't a drug trial so there aren't three phases. She presumably wants to do a larger study and/or to tweak the approach in some way.

Two things are worth noting:

1) According to the clinicaltrials.gov entry, the average reduction in TFI for the treatment when treatment was given before sham was 10 points. When treatment was given after sham, the reduction was only 5.3 points. Both of these are smaller than the usual definition of a clinically meaningful change in the TFI of 13 points (https://www.audiology.org/sites/default/files/publications/tinnitusFunctionalIndex.pdf). Of course it is hard to learn much from 20 people.

2) Dr Shore and two colleagues have a patent on this approach: http://www.freepatentsonline.com/9682232.html

• Like Like x 3
      • Winner Winner x 1
    7. NatureHiker
      Angelic

NatureHiker Member

Thanks! I guess a larger study and improvements would be great to further solidify this treatment. I've heard great things about it which is why i can't wait.

Frustrating to see that the it's not clinically significant. I heard other researchers are flustered because their treatments don't show much clinical significance in trials too. I don't get it either. Something should be working by this point. Is everything just ineffective or are the results less promising because its hard to stratify each person by their type of tinnitus and each treatment works best on some types of tinnitus and bad on others?

8. jer

jer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Again, as I have said so many times. Once they stop using mice as test animals, who biologically in no way even closely resemble humans, is probably going to be when we have less baffled researchers that they methods are not working.

We need to be testing drugs on animals that actually resemble humans to get sound results!

• Agree Agree x 1
    9. DoNotGoGentle

Tinnitus Since:
      10/15 got worse 11/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Correct but it is proof of concept! I agree once we have proof it works then stop with the animals maybe use on people on death row!

10. threefirefour
      Peeping tom

threefirefour Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      5/15/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      140dB B R U H moment
      When does Susan Shore's signal timing end their second trials? I hear it's in fall 2017.

People who have been in the first ones like @DebInAustralia, do you think there's potential? I hear funding is an issue but I can't find anything on it.

11. Markku
      Inspired

Markku Founder Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      September 2017 Update on the trial

Dr. Shore stated the following:

"We have secured funding and will begin the trial next year."

• Like Like x 11
      • Informative Informative x 1
    12. Paulmanlike

Paulmanlike Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Link? Or did she contact you direct? Thanks.

• Like Like x 2
    13. Alberte

Alberte Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Markku, can you give me the address of the website of the research of Dr. Shore. Thank you!

• Like Like x 1
    14. Markku
      Inspired

Markku Founder Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      • Like Like x 4
    15. threefirefour
      Peeping tom

Tinnitus Since:
      5/15/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      140dB B R U H moment
      Markku, thank you for reaching out to Susan Shore for me. Personally I fully believe that Susan shore's signal timing is the way to go in reducing or eliminating tinnitus, and I'm glad she will be participating in human trials next year, which I assume will go over well after the modifications made after the last trial. I'm still sad that they won't be beginning this month like I thought they would.

• Like Like x 1
    16. Paulmanlike

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      How's this different to other VNS methods such as MuteButton, and the stuff out of Helsinki Ear Institute?

• Good Question Good Question x 4
    17. Paulmanlike

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Isn't Susan Shore's device only aimed to help those with somatic tinnitus? (tinnitus that can be changed by moving the neck, pressing the face)?

18. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      This device is a "reductionist" or ground-up model: they started by doing research that led them to identify one very specific mechanism that seems to relate to tinnitus, then devised a technology aimed at targeting that mechanism in a very specific way. On the other hand, AFAIK VNS has been a "holistic" or top-down approach: they started with the observation that some people who get VNS for other reasons reported a reduction in their tinnitus.

There are advantages and disadvantages to either approach.
      Yes, and probably only a subset of even those people. However, 80% of tinnitus patients have some degree of somatic involvement. If Dr. Shore's model of noise-induced tinnitus is remotely accurate, it basically means that essentially all noise-induced tinnitus has a somatic component (though in some people the sensory component could relate to nerves which are not directly accessible through basic movements or poking yourselves).

Having basically decent hearing as well as a somatic component that can be manipulated through muscle movement is necessary for using this device, because the theory is that the device works by stimulating the same muscles that are connected to the tinnitus hyperactivity along with the auditory nerve with noise, in a way which is very precisely timed and causes a homeostatic mechanism called "spike-timing dependent plasticity" to reorganize information pathways in the dorsal cochlear nucleus in a way that reduces the tinnitus hyperactivity.

• Informative Informative x 5
      • Like Like x 2
    19. Paulmanlike

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Did you try it in clinical trials? What was your experience? Did it reduce it and if so by how much?

Does this mean for those sufferers who can't manipulate their tinnitus with face and neck movements etc won't benefit from this device? Thanks

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    20. Paulmanlike

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      • Like Like x 1
      • Useful Useful x 1
    21. BuzzyBee
      Bookworm

BuzzyBee Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not Sure
      Does it matter what ear has the "decent hearing"? For instance, if the tinnitus is mostly in the left ear and the left ear is deaf, can the device work if the right ear is fine?

22. linearb
      Psychedelic

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      It's hard to provide a "how much" for such subjective experiences. My feeling was that it worked to some significant extent but definitely was not a cure.

Yes.

Unknown based on the current data, though in phase-I they tested unilaterally and some people did report bilateral effects, so it's possible that treating the right ear could help the left. People with bilateral deafness will not be treatable in this way.

23. Paulmanlike

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Hhhmmmm. I wonder if my tinnitus is modified through these indirect somatic components if I have any? I certainly can't manipulate it with basic movements or poking myself, although when I yawn it appears louder - is that a somatic component?

24. threefirefour
      Peeping tom

Tinnitus Since:
      5/15/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      140dB B R U H moment
      In what way did it "significantly" help? Did it lower the volume? If yes then it's a success but if not then it's a failure.

• Agree Agree x 1
    25. linearb
      Psychedelic

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I've written about this extensively in the past, and I'm not interested in arguing about it. Unlike nearly everyone else with an opinion in this thread, I've used the thing, I thought it worked, and I'm chomping at the bit for them to get something to market.

My subjective ratings for distress and volume plummeted after 2 weeks of using the device, and rebounded back to baseline within a week of the trial being over. I don't have access to the data about the objective volume measurement that they did during the study, so I can't tell you if it "really lowered the volume".

I've also had tinnitus for a long time, and I personally do not need silence/"a total cure"/etc to be happier and more functional. My tinnitus never really seems to change in volume, exactly, it's a question of to what extent it's passive background and to what extent it's piercing/painful/very foreground data. The latter two weeks of the trial, the noise was comfortably doing a quiet thing in the back of my mind, and I suspect that if that was my baseline, I would quickly stop regarding this as any kind of problem. 20 years in, a constant tape hiss does not seem like a problem to me; a piercing/stabbing/physically uncomfortable jab in my ear definitely does. That's the spectrum of my tinnitus, and I can not with certainty say there is a difference in "volume" from one extreme to the other.

If you're in the absolutest camp who demands an absolute return to silence before we can say "success", then you will need to look elsewhere.

I am sorry if I am being combative; I am extremely tired, hundreds of miles from my home my wife and my kid, and pretty much every time I login here I end up getting drawn into something that makes me regret it.

• Informative Informative x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    26. linearb
      Psychedelic

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      IANAD, but, sure sounds like it -- jaw muscles were one of the two common treatment targets they used in phase I.

27. threefirefour
      Peeping tom

Tinnitus Since:
      5/15/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      140dB B R U H moment
      A definite cure is the endgame but a treatment to reduce noise is definitely a good thing. If it doesn't do that though it's not a success. I do think it will succeed though and be sold in late 2018 or early 2019.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 2
    28. linearb
      Psychedelic

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I'm also optimistic, and might see about participating again in the next round of trials.

• Like Like x 3
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    29. Onsdag

Onsdag Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown, maybe stress
      We can make our tinnitus less loud in 2019! I'm jumping in joy.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    30. threefirefour
      Peeping tom

Tinnitus Since:
      5/15/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      140dB B R U H moment
      I'm certainly not optimistic considering the tinnitus community is basically the Haiti of medical communities, but off of reviews of signal timing I think that it has some serious potential. My main grievance was the fact that's the trial was too short, and had very little time for results to come into fruition. I hope this time around the trial is longer.