New University of Michigan Tinnitus Discovery — Signal Timing

Discussion in 'Research News' started by Hudson, Jun 20, 2013.

1. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

DebInAustralia Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      I believe someone in this thread already has?

2. Harder Calm
      Frustrated

Harder Calm Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress/TMJ
      I think for the animal experiments, the guinea pigs were exposed to loud noise, and their symptoms could be measured by their behavior and brains scans. Appearently bimodal stimulation worked their as well, even though that seems more like noise induced instead of somatic. So maybe there's hope indeed also for people beyond somatic tinnitus, however their exact percentage is.

3. GlennS

GlennS Member Podcast Patron Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      But that naturally leads one to ask... why the heck should that matter in this device's efficacy??? It seems like an arbitrary requirement of test subjects.

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    4. Tomas80

Tomas80 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknow. Maybe stress?
      The new COVID-19 variant will be the reason for the delay in the sale of the device for another 10 years.

• Funny x 3
      • Like x 1
      • Agree x 1
      • Hug x 1
      • Creative x 1
    5. AfroSnowman
      Balanced

AfroSnowman Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Nonnatural energy source
      Limiting the clinical trials to those who can already impact their tinnitus through moving the same nerves they are targeting for stimulation seems pretty reasonable. I don't know that they think that it is more effective on the somatic subtype, just a surer bet that stimulating those same nerves would impact the tinnitus of those that can already change their tinnitus through those nerves.

The cleanest, most unambiguous results is what we want from this study so that it can go to market quickly. Adding an unknown as to whether this will work on non-somatic wouldn't seem to add anything on that top line goal.

• Agree Agree x 6
      • Like Like x 2
    6. twa
      Busy

twa Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2017- mild /Sept. 2020-moderate
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      meds/acoustic trauma
      @linearb, I agree with you on the dangerous part. I have taken both of these and they were very difficult to taper off of. It was during the taper, my initial very mild tinnitus began.

• Hug Hug x 1
    7. Mathew Gould

Mathew Gould Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neck/Jaw misalignment
      My jaw, ears and teeth had moderate pain for about 5 days and in those 5 days my tinnitus was very low which is uncommon... Makes no sense.

• Hug Hug x 1
    8. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      And I've just sent an email to David Martel, who is the post doctorate working in bioengineering with Susan Shore.

If anyone has Jon Pearson's email (CEO of Auricle), I am happy to send him an email? I can't find it.

• Like Like x 2
    9. Gb3

Gb3 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL
      jon.pearson@auricleinc.com

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    10. Paul1980

Paul1980 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music, prescription drugs
      I don't know what is going to slow them down more - COVID-19, or Tinnitus Talk members sending emails to everyone but Santa Claus asking ad nauseam questions about when it will be ready.

• Funny Funny x 3
      • Agree Agree x 2
      • Creative Creative x 1
    11. Gb3

Gb3 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL
      I wrote the CEO. He responded in like 10 minutes. I’m sure it isn’t hindering anything.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    12. Tom Soria

Tom Soria Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Hey all, I'm really curious to know if Dr. Shore's treatment might help with other tinnitus related problems like pulsatile tinnitus, TTTS, hyperacusis, diplacusis?

13. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      I don't think we know the answer to that, but I know from my brief email interactions with Dr. Shore over the years, she has indicated this as being helpful for those with somatic tinnitus.

However, I did read that some people can have a somatic element to their tinnitus without realising it, so maybe this could be of some benefit to you.

I also read on the forum here that the device may help those with hyperacusis.

14. Mnq16
      Surrender

Mnq16 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown- Visual Snow related
      Would the fact that my tinnitus gets louder when I clench my teeth mean I have somatic tinnitus or is this something everyone can do?

15. GoatSheep

GoatSheep Guest

Yes that means it's somatic.

• Helpful Helpful x 2
    16. AfroSnowman
      Balanced

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Nonnatural energy source
      I've always wondered how this common somatic attribute should color our thoughts about whether long term tinnitus resides primarily in the brain. At first glance it would seem to indicate that it is outside the brain. Can anyone opine?

• Good Question Good Question x 2
    17. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Interesting question.

Didn't Prof. Shore hypothesise that loss of auditory input to the brain engages the somatic nerves of the face and neck to try to compensate = making everything noisy?

For those who do have somatic tinnitus, can you take advantage of residual inhibition also?

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Creative Creative x 1
    18. AfroSnowman
      Balanced

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Nonnatural energy source
      Not really for me. But that is interesting as a concept. For me a I’ve had remarkably little change in my tinnitus since the moment it happened. Maybe it is a little less variable but that’s it. Under that theory that rechanneling to somatic nerves would have occurred basically at onset not as a gradual transition from ears to brain

19. Mnq16
      Surrender

Mnq16 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Well my tinnitus came about neurologically alongside visual snow (had no hearing loss/ear damage at onset at 20) and it has a somatic component to it, although I can't make it quieter, only louder. This would suggest it doesn't mean it's outside the brain.

20. BigNick

BigNick Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      My tinnitus is somatic in as far as I can modulate it by clenching my jaw. I agree with the theory that it engages nerves of face and neck making everything noisy because at exactly the same time as my ringing started I started to hear / feel my pulse thudding especially when lying down.

I've also found that if I sleep with just one pillow I tend to have a milder tinnitus next day.

I do experience residual inhibition in as far as some sound therapy will knock my tinnitus back a bit more often than not.

• Like Like x 1
      • Useful Useful x 1
    21. Lilah
      Mellow

Lilah Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Not sure if this is residual inhibition, but I can alter my tinnitus sound temporarily when I listen to sound therapy (for example from more tonal to more white noise, or to a slightly lower pitch) but I cannot lower the volume. However, that change may be because I may feel more calm after sound therapy. However, sometimes I think my tinnitus increases after noise. Maybe this is reactive tinnitus? I think in the early days I could lower my volume, but not anymore.

• Informative Informative x 2
    22. Gb3

Gb3 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL
      I think I have somatic tinnitus.

• Agree Agree x 2
    23. Harder Calm
      Frustrated

Harder Calm Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress/TMJ
      Same here. It gets more intense from yawning, and by tensing jaw muscles. Additionally, certain neck movements also seem to have that effect. Afterwards, it gets quickly back to the normal level. Found it weird in the beginning, but from reading posts here many experience this. Well, let's hope that Auricle can do something for us...

• Agree Agree x 1
    24. Bjjwal

Bjjwal Member

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Just an FYI for anyone wondering, I emailed Dr. Shore asking her if my tinnitus (which gets more intense when yawning) counts as somatic and she confirmed that it does.

It would appear that I am a suitable candidate to try this device...

• Like Like x 3
      • Good Question Good Question x 1
    25. Mnq16
      Surrender

Mnq16 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      It seems the majority of people have a somatic component to their tinnitus.

• Agree Agree x 1
    26. Gb3

Gb3 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL
      I could have told you that. You seriously did that?

27. Mentos

Mentos Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced, loud rock concert
      She is consistent in interpretation, she mailed me the same when I asked about my tinnitus (I can increase my tinnitus by pressing forehead with my hand).

28. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Me too.

29. Bjjwal

Bjjwal Member

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Yes I did, as I wanted to make sure I was a suitable candidate for her device and not have false hope.

As nice as it would have been to have confirmation on this forum, I'd rather get my information from the person who pioneered the device and should know the statistics.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    30. Martin69
      Artistic

Martin69 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      (Health) Anxiety
      I am not here that often these days.

What is the roadmap (trials, release dates etc.)?

When can we expect to have final trial results and "real world" experiences?

Thanks in advance.