No Hope Left — Warning Negative Post

Discussion in 'Support' started by valeri, Jan 11, 2018.

1. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      Do you have a source for that? It seems interesting.
      How do they store electricity?

2. Harvest King
      Studious

Harvest King Member

Tinnitus Since:

Yes . . . . .
      Biomedical Acupuncture for Sports and Trauma Rehabilitation E-Book: Dry Needling Techniques 1st Edition, Kindle Edition
      by Yun-tao Ma (Author)

3. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      I was hoping we wouldn't have to fork out $75 to learn the secret. :rolleyes:
      Is there any resource online that explains it?

Perhaps you can answer?

4. bob bauer

bob bauer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      hearing loss- medication
      I'm tapering remeron with capsules from compounding pharmacy, I can't take the noise anymore it's killing me.

• Agree Agree x 1
    5. Harvest King
      Studious

Harvest King Member

Tinnitus Since:
      • Agree Agree x 1
    6. MBH

MBH Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Overloaded stress
      Hello Mr bb,. I hope the doc draws you down. What have you done to distract your T. There is stuff you can do. You must keep a routine all day everyday. So you don't think about it. The minute you think get in you car turn on the radio go for a drive and on the drive stop and pick something. Hopefully, help take your mind off T.

7. Harvest King
      Studious

Harvest King Member

Tinnitus Since:
      The human body is made up of 11 elements - oxygen, carbon, hydrogen, nitrogen, calcium, phosphorus, potassium, sulfur, sodium, chlorine, and magnesium. Basically an electromagnetic chemistry set. We have muscle nerves and like any electrical circuit it needs to run it's course and expel the charge (muscles move as required etc). Muscles tighten for many reasons but lets say to protect the spine due to overexertion, the electrical impulses become trapped in the muscle tissue.

Now you might ask, what does this have to do with the auditory system?

I could write a number of chapters on it but I will say this, it's not only the neurotransmitters, is their effect on the cilia, cochlear nerve and auditory cortex.
      Neurotransmitters constantly keep the auditory system active like they keep everything active. The cilia (tiny hairs) move/respond to sound waves. Cilia have potassium ion tips that set of electrical impulses and so on. Any damage, restriction (thickening of the cochlear fluid through infection or other causes) or flattening of the cilia (loud noise etc) thus resulting in an erratic electrical discharge. Neurosensory response is a basic function of the nervous system . The brain sends millions of electrical impulses though the body eliciting a response (a full circuit).
      Say the micro fibres in the skin react abnormally (due to extreme cold for instance), the neurotransmitters increase the electrical impulses, increases blood flow etc until an equilibrium has been reached.
      Hair fibres are extremely delicate and the increase in electrical impulses to the auditory system from the neurotransmitters act the same as a loud noise and continue to flatten the cilia. After a while it becomes a normal function due to the neuroplasticity of the brain. So any increase in electrical impulses through the body will affect the already flattened or affected cilia. That's why tinnitus has spikes due to alcohol, caffeine, stress, tightening or stiffening of muscles and so on.
      Once the stored electricity was discharge from the dry needling tinnitus reduced, but only for a short while because the brain's default level of electrical impulses is higher than it should be . . . . and also because of alcohol, caffeine, stress, tightening or stiffening of muscles and so on. A life style change is in order no doubt.

8. Harvest King
      Studious

Harvest King Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Are you talking homeostatic plasticity or hebbian plasticity?[/QUOTE]

Alue,

Both . . . . . . . Integrating hebbian and homeostatic plasticity . . . . . . and more.
      Neurons regulate their own excitability relative to network activity but when this activity remains constant (hyperactive) the neurons remain constantly excitable.

9. Zug
      Woot

Zug Member Benefactor

@valeri a lot of us have been suicidal at some point. Maybe you should separate your issues, go see a psychiatrist, they won't make your Tinnitus go away but they will help with all this helplessness you report.

I got medical help for sleeping and some advice to deal with the rest, it helped a lot.

Please seek a psychiatrist, don't give up.

Best,
      Zug

• Hug Hug x 1
    10. Halsy

Halsy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Sept. 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Abscess tooth
      Speaking of which I got a response from them and I'm on the list for potential candidates. I'm in Toronto but told them I have zero problem driving down as much as they need at this point. So we'll see.

11. Halsy

Halsy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Sept. 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Abscess tooth
      Yes, you are bitter, but that's ok because it's understandable. However, you need to work on it, because carrying that around only makes it worse. And, point in fact, you're wrong. The Helix Corporation has invented - and it passed all it's clinical trials with flying colours - a PoNS device. Long story short, it repairs brain neuroplasticity. Yes, you read that correctly, it actually repairs brain neuroplasticity. They've seen a ton of success specifically with MS and Tinnitus patients. People with MS confined to a wheelchair and actually regaining mobility enough to walk again, overall improvements of over 70%. That's huge. People with T have been cured as well. Helix expects to have these on the market in the latter half of this year.

http://heliusmedical.com/index.php/divisions/neurohabilitation/the-pons-device

https://seekingalpha.com/news/33132...ons-device-next-year-despite-perceived-hiccup

https://tcnl.bme.wisc.edu/help/pons-use

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/glo...earance-for-its-brain-device/article33495524/

You need to remember that the brain is like an electrical panel. When something short circuits the circuit breaker trips and needs to be reset. The problem is the brain has a difficult time resetting but it can be done - and often is. This is what Dr. Shore is working on. They've found that by even interrupting the DCN by five milliseconds resets the brain and stops T in it's tracks. There findings are tremendous. In the Canadian portion of the study at McMaster out of 20 people 2 were cured outright and the rest saw major reductions in their T. So don't tell anyone it can't get better or there's no cure or there's no hope because there is. A lot of people live with T for years or even decades, but it does stop. Within the next decade - I surmise probably within 5 years - we're going to see major leaps forward in the treatment of all neurological trauma. The research has been doubling year over year for the last decade alone. I'll bet dollars to donuts we see some sort of (virtual) cure within that time, or a way to mitigate to a point where no one needs to suffer like so many do with this bloody condition.

I say this a lot and I'll keep saying it because it bears repeating. It should be a mantra for everyone with T regardless of how it came about...the body is ALWAYS trying to heal itself. That's what it does. That's its job. Otherwise we'd all have significantly shorter lifespans. If it can't start, it can stop. And for people with T that means a complete lifestyle change if you wish to have any chance of that happening. Diet/excercise/physical therapies. That's the holy trinity that will either do it completely or mitigate it to a point where it's not life destroying. And the psychological aspect of it can't be overlooked. It's been proven unequivocally that a large part of T is how well people are psychologically equipped to deal with it. Those who tend toward OCD or don't handle stress well have a much harder time of it and need to be trained/conditioned to do so. No different from any occupation like law enforcement, military, etc. Operant training and muscle memory make all the difference in the world. There are all manner of paths to lowering or getting rid of T outright but it takes dedication. If you don't want to research, learn, and put the work in and are going to be wholly reliant on doctors and pills than yeah, you won't get better. You need to treat this with the seriousness as if you were proscribed with terminal cancer. You can sit back and let it consume you or you put the work in and beat it.

You're talking about a condition that literally affects 100s of millions of people on this planet and except for the tiniest percentage who are really unlucky people and that overwhelming majority learn to deal with it. There's a literal fortune out there waiting to be made which is why research in neurological conditions is blowing up. I don't care what their motivations are so long as it happens...and it will, sooner than later.

12. Halsy

Halsy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Sept. 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Abscess tooth
      Have you tried it or do you think it's worth trying - or know anyone who has? I'm making a list of things to try/look at with my neuro at the end of the month. I've got my suspicions about my condition - I believe the issue is physical for several reasons - but at least tyring some blockers and modulators would rule potential issues out if they don't work. Thanks for all your input, King. It's most edifying and greatly appreciated.

While I've been reading a lot of papers on Pubmed and such do you have any recommended reading? Is there a good Neurology 101 primer that you're aware of? I'm a quick study. :)

13. Halsy

Halsy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Sept. 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Abscess tooth
      Yet, that's the main issue with the furimon (sp) hyperactivity in the DCN. This is what Dr. Shore and co. are doing. A 5ms interruption via an electrical current stops that hyperactivity. This was built on the knowledge that already existed and has been proven time and again to help immensely, if not cure outright, with TENS devices, electroacupuncture, bio/neurofeedback, PoNS, et al. I've subscribed to the idea that the brain is - at it's simplest - an electrical panel. And the various neurological problems people endure is - barring heavy physical trauma - is simple(ish) because the circuit breaker needs to be reset but the brain has a difficult time of doing that. Inject outside stimulus to do that and bingo bongo you're on your way to freedom from a lot of these accursed conditions.

• Genius Genius x 1
    14. Gl0w0ut
      Inactive

Gl0w0ut Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      "The body is ALWAYS trying to heal itself"

You don't really know autoimmune diseases do you?

When a brain loses area, which is what actually happens in the case of the medial prefrontal cortex, then that tissue is gone and replaced with cerebrospinal fluid. I shouldn't have used plasticity so loosely, so I apologize. You can't replace those things. And besides, what if your tinnitus is caused by TMJ, ETD, or a non-auditory related problem? That tech won't fix it. I have been researching. I've read several papers on tinnitus, one I read this morning disputed several studies which indicated grey matter reduction in the limbic system. It even suggested that the tinnitus was the brain's way of trying to prevent grey matter loss in the auditory cortex.

So maybe the brain is my friend after all. Still annoying and I still resent it.

15. Autumnly
      Wishful

Autumnly Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise-induced
      What about Susan Shore's device? It's meant for somatic tinnitus. Can you modulate your tinnitus by head and neck maneuvers? Also, this is me purely speculating, but people go to clubs, concerts, bars and other loud events and places throughout their lives, I could imagine a lot of people are suffering from hidden or mild hearing loss without even knowing.

• Agree Agree x 2
    16. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ETD directly affects hearing thresholds, this is probably the most likely causative factor for tinnitus. (This is on my mind lately because I've been dealing with a minor case of it after an upper respiratory infection, though it seems to be abating). To the extent that we can pinpoint TMJ as a cause of tinnitus, well, TMJ can also affect hearing thresholds, and possibly cause ischemic events because of compression of blood vessels; both of these things are auditory phenomena.

I'm not disputing that there's some small subset of non-pulsatile tinnitus cases which probably truly have nothing to do with direct auditory damage... but I think it's pretty few and far between.

Also, to nitpick more -- I'd classify autoimmune disorders as a case of the body's tendency to heal running amok, just as cancer is generally the body's tendency to grow running amok.

17. Kathi
      Balanced

Kathi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/30/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      HFHL and stress
      Hi valeri, I hope you feel a little bit better--I do understand your pain and terror. YES, STEROIDS CAN CAUSE MAJOR ANXIETY, as well as other ups and downs. I have taken IV steroids for 18 weeks. It is one of the premeds given when one has chemo. I had my chemo on Thursdays and by Saturday I would be so depressed that I would sit and cry--really. I talked to the therapist assigned to me about this reaction and she told me this is how the steroid can cause me to react. I have just finished chemo and I'm hoping that my tinnitus will return to baseline--it got very loud either from the platinum anti cancer drugs--the premeds (there were 5 of them each week) and the IV antibiotics. I am making progress. You can too. Drugs take time to leave our systems. I am here for you as you were for me 4 years ago.

lots of love and support,
      Kathi

18. Halsy

Halsy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Sept. 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Abscess tooth
      It's not that body isn't trying to heal, it simply isn't doing it the right way. The brain is far from perfect and has just far too many problems - if you ever want to shoot down some intelligent design clown anyone with a neurological disorder is living proof that there is no creator or he's a really bad one. The main reason the body can't heal is because it's generally fighting chronic inflammation. And just like the many paths to (P)T, there are many more to inflammation.That, in a nutshell, is what somatosensory T is... it's neuromuscular inflammation. Even for direct neurological damage with fistulas, collapsed transverse sinus, vestibular paroxyisma, and trigeminal nerve damage, the body can and does heal those things. Granted it can take far too long and surgery and medicine are the shortcut but it happens.

It's long been theorized that T is a result of diminished neuroplasticity in the first place. PoNS simply takes tVNS one step further. It rebalances the nervous system through parasympathetic response by creating new neural pathways bypassing the old broken ones.. It creates them! Again, that's something the body does as well, but this expedites the process which can mean the difference between suffering from T for years as opposed to months.

What if your T isn't somatic?

New Stem Cell Transplantation Method Restores Damaged Auditory Pathways
      https://www.ata.org/news/news/new-s...ion-method-restores-damaged-auditory-pathways

Boom! So that's coming too.

Shitty a deal as this is, we're actually pretty goddamned lucky all things considered. The meds and knowledge - and access to it - today is the difference between life and death for a lot of people. Things that even a few short decades ago would have been a dream. And that says nothing of all the people on this planet who suffer from this and don't live in the first world and have access to anything close to what you or I do. So that's one thing to count your lucky stars for. Bad as it is it could be a whole lot worse. Carrying around that stress and anger is only going to hurt in the long run. All that cortisol isn't helping, the exact opposite in fact. You have to learn to let go. Which is why CBT, etc. helps people so much. Otherwise you end up in a self-reinforced negative feedback loop which is nothing but a downward spiral. And again, they're closing in on this. I foresee a functional "cure(s)" - even if not outright, good enough that it makes it entirely manageable for even the worst cases - within 5 years, 10 at the outside. As I mentioned before not only has neurological research for conditions like T been doubling over the last 10 years they're more like quadrupling over the last 5 and still increasing. Within 25 years people will ever wonder why it was such a problem in the first place. If that doesn't give you some hope than you're hopeless, and that's sad.

Look, I don't have all the answers and I'm certainly not a doctor - though I play on TV :) - but I'm a pretty sharp, pretty well educated fella' who knows how to research and learn quickly. And you certainly don't need to go to med school - though I've had reasons in the past with my own experiences to learn a lot more about neurology than the average layman - to understand the underlying mechanisms of the condition or what's coming down the pipe for it either. You just have to be willing to put the work in all around. Do that, and you'll beat it sooner than later. Wait for someone to come along with a cure and it'll happen eventually but you'll likely be waiting a lot longer that way too.

It's hard to keep your spirits up, I get that, but you have to find a way to get there because the alternative is unthinkable. And when you can get past all that, that's when you really start getting on the mend.

19. Harvest King
      Studious

Harvest King Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Valeri,

I've been researching tinnitus for the past 4 years . . . Neuroscience+.

What most people have is neurogenic tinnitus ( controlled by the nervous system). Many things aggravate it, whatever the initial cause . . . even if the cause has dissipated, it continues.

It can't be explained easily. I know academics that have gotten lost whilst I try to explain it.

Think as your body as a chemistry set and the nervous system (starting at the brain) as a complex electrical system.

It is adaptable, it can change . . . the brain is neuroplastic (see Hebbian theory).

Basically it adjusts and re-adjusts, sometimes to the detriment of it's host (that's us).

Three things bring on neurogenic tinnitus.

1. An acute neurogenic event. (this can mean continued loud noise, as sound is converted into an electrical impulse.)

2. Continued excessive neuro activity changing the benchmark in the brain's understanding of what is required - A lot if this happens without you even knowing.

3. The over flexibility of the stereocilia in the inner ear.

To many on this forum . . . . all this sound like double speak . . . . like I said it can't be explained easily.

The anomaly with tinnitus is that stress/coffee/alcohol, mainly stress, aggravates tinnitus, raising the electrical activity in the nervous system. However continued tinnitus causes stress. Seems like a no-win situation.

Until I finish my research all everyone can do is work on lowering stress levels and relax the body. Yoga, massage, physiotherapy and so on . . . . chill out!

Buy the way, I have been able to lower my tinnitus by up to 80% but unfortunately only for 3 or 4 days then in slowly increases again over time . . . damned neuroplasticity!

20. Apolonia
      Disappointed

Apolonia Member

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced, acoustic trauma
      Don't understand... You are a neuroscientist?

21. Harvest King
      Studious

Harvest King Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Kako si
      No yet, but working on it out of necessity. Why do you ask? I did say it was complicated.
      I'm writing a draft thesis.

22. Harvest King
      Studious

Harvest King Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Halsy,

Neurogenic tinnitus by it's nature involuntary.
      I disagree with the theory that T is a result of diminished neuroplasticity. I believe it's the opposite.
      As the article states damaged hair cells contribute to both hearing loss and tinnitus but it's not the complete picture.
      It also states the process produced only varying results.
      Read my previous post to Valeri.

Cheers

23. StubbyJ

StubbyJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/02/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Noise Exposure
      Electroacupunture gave me pulsate T and a chirping I can not only hear but feel as well. The odds of it helping are beyond minimal and not worth the damage it can cause. Stay away; far away.

• Useful Useful x 1
    24. Harvest King
      Studious

Harvest King Member

Tinnitus Since:

Electro-acupuncture?
      Was this done by someone adding a mild electro magnetic imput?
      If so, I have NOT recommended it.
      Even using TMS (Trans cranial Magnetic Stimulation) is not recommended. This is used for those with depression but can cause tinnitus. Trials have been carried out using TMS to reduce an overactive auditory nerve.
      https://tmsaustralia.com.au/blog/2017/06/21/tms-tinnitus/
      Cheers

25. Contrast
      No Mood

Contrast Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      No it is not a role, tinnitus is not caused by bent hair cells sending a false signal, it is caused by higher regions of the brain compensating for hearing loss. Unless of course there is an alternative cause for tinnitus, but I haven't heard any real research hint at that hypothesis.
      https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4208401/

You post something that has an outdated hypothesis and make it look true. Tinnitus is centralized in the brain compensating for lack of input for the auditory nerve, not coming from the auditory nerve.

• Like Like x 1
    26. Contrast
      No Mood

Contrast Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      I wish tinnitus was centralized in the ear, it would make things a whole lot easier.

Tinnitus doesn't even stay centralized in the audiotory brain, it spreads like a cancer to regions of the brain that have nothing to do with hearing whatsoever. My main question and the one anyone with a functioning brain should be asking is "would reversing hearing loss also reverse tinnitus" We already see some examples of it in ear wax removal, middle ear surgeries, CI's, steroids and ear plug experiments so it's safe to say it will help some people maybe as far as say the majority but obviously there are some exceptions in which CI's don't help tinnitus, even people on this forum got tinnitus from a temporarily virus and hearing recovered.

Tinnitus isn't playing by any consistency. If they could prove there was an alternative cause such as bent stereocillia
      that would make a lot more sense for some cases in which cutting the audiotory nerve does help tinnitus.

Maybe brainscans of some tinnitus patients would determine if more or less input is coming from the audiotory nerve if your hypothesis is true about tinnitus being generated in the ear.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    27. Greg Sacramento

Greg Sacramento Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing + Somatic tinnitus from dental work
      @Contrast Tinnitus with a physical cause: I had scored almost a perfect grade with direct cervical on Quitlet and other cervical medical professional testing exams. I didn't test myself on the very complex facial/mouth areas. One problem that still remains per a few conditions is how the auditory nerve has influence. Most of the numbered nerves, arthritis or whatever that can relate to directly to neck tinnitus is usually easy to understand.

The problem is finding the problem and there be more than one problem. There's many medical issues that can cause tinnitus and many of them are related to the mouth and facial. Sometimes standard radiological testing won't show a tinnitus related problem or a condition that's causing it. Medical professional sites discussing any medical condition is advanced with lots of information on most conditions, not like the doctor question and answer sites. By visiting multiple professional medical sites for a somewhat narrowed suspected problem, usually valuable information can be eventually found. Sometimes there's a condition that crosses over to another area or there is trauma moving back and forth between more than one area such as facial, jaw, c spine and neck muscles.

The problem is that many doctors/dentists can't even find or treat many conditions because of time restraints and lack of getting involved in a team effort. When there's a medical problem causing tinnitus and doctors/dentists don't have the knowledge in just finding the medical problem then that's scary. When we tell them that we have tinnitus we become secondary citizens. Then they pull out the prescription pads to issue some coping meds.

I think your posting is brilliant.

• Like Like x 1
    28. Harvest King
      Studious

Harvest King Member

Tinnitus Since:
      If you read my previous posts you will see what I mean, 4th of April and before.
      Yes it comes from the brain caused in effect by the brain's neuro-plasticity but it also affects the cilia . . . . a complicated interaction called neuro sensory response.
      There is no one answer but a combination of elements.
      It's like the battle between different view points in Psychology . . . . genetic verses environment . . . but it's both.