Notched Music Therapy (DIY, AudioNotch, etc.)

Discussion in 'Treatments' started by Scarred, Mar 16, 2011.

1. Gabriel
      Balanced

Gabriel Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I focused on verifying if I had tinnitus
      Hello everyone.

This thread has been going for quite some time.

What are the results so far for the ones using notched music therapy?

• Agree Agree x 1
    2. Mister Muso
      Creative

Mister Muso Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2007 / April 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      I tried it for white noise but didn't find any difference. Maybe I didn't use it for long enough.

I can't listen to white noise any more because it aggravates my hyperacusis, so I'd be interested to hear about people's results using notching with regular music or ACRN.

3. Pink Noise
      Artistic

Pink Noise Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably headphones (Overear) coupled with age (sigh)
      I'm an audio engineer and I have just created a pink noise masker which mask some of the tones.

I used iZotope RX to generate a 30s loop of white noise and then used a Eq with a high Q factor to notch out my tinnitus frequencies. It successfully hides the tones.

I'm not sure if this would delay habituation but it gives me a little relief for a minute.

I thought I share.

I'm going to synthesise my full array of tinnitus tones before my ENT appointment so that the Audiologist can get an idea of my situation.

Attached Files:

4. mikki_

mikki_ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress / High frequency hearing loss
      ^ I plan to do the same with Audacity. I cannot figure out my tinnitus frequency. However, by running a pure tone sound through all frequencies I found I am half deaf in left ear between frequencies 7100-7300 Hz. It is very strange when the pure tone sound completely disappears in that range only to reappear when moving past the frequency range. I never realized hearing loss can be in so narrow area.

• Like Like x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    5. morgothaod

morgothaod Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      I just got done making an hour's worth of notched music for 8000 Hz tinnitus.

Attached Files:

6. Eric N

Eric N Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2012, 03/2016, 05/2017, 05/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise + 3 major increases via (shouting / MRI/ flu+Tylenol)
      What's the long-term subscription for AudioNotch.com for? It's mainly for the counselling? Does anyone know if they allow you to upload some sound clips and just download the notched version?

Also has anyone here been able to notch a sound clip for 1150 Hz tinnitus? I have a terrible spike at that frequency and am at my wits' end.

7. PearlEarRing

PearlEarRing Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hello! I'm new here and searching for solutions... anyway I'm trying to make a notched music file to listen to, but I can't seem to find any audio files that have frequencies as high as the tone of my tinnitus (I used a website to figure out what frequency it seems to be) - 177.39.69Hz. I've tried two different files, an hour of harp music and an hour of crickets, but neither have frequencies that high so notching doesn't seem like it would do anything. How do you find appropriate audio to notch? Thank you for any advice!!

8. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

DebInAustralia Member Benefactor Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      30/12/13
      What are the studies telling us about the effectiveness of notched sound therapy for non tonal tinnitus?

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    9. Frédéric

Frédéric Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      11/19/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      A Three-arm, Single-blind, Randomized Controlled Trial Examining the Effects of Notched Music Therapy, Conventional Music Therapy, and Counseling on Tinnitus

Objective:
      To compare the efficacy of three common interventions for tinnitus patients: notched music therapy, conventional music therapy, and counseling.

Study Design:
      Randomized, single-blinded, controlled, three-arm trial.

Method:
      This study was conducted from January 2018 to January 2019. Eligible subjects were randomized into three groups. The first group received notched music therapy (n = 25), the second received conventional music therapy (n = 24), and the third received counseling only (n = 26). The three groups did not differ in terms of demographic data including age, sex, tinnitus duration, affected side, hearing level, side of tinnitus, and frequency of tinnitus. The patients were followed up on at month 1, 2, and 3 after initiation of therapy.

Results:
      Tinnitus Handicap Inventory scores gradually decreased in all groups. The mean differences in Tinnitus Handicap Inventory score from baseline for patients who received notched music therapy, conventional music therapy, and counseling only were 20.49, 27.83, and 17.79 points, respectively (p < 0.05). However, there was no statistically significant difference among the groups (p = 0.246).

Conclusion:
      There was no difference between the treatments. The selection of these therapies for tinnitus treatment may depend on the unique needs and proclivities of patients.

10. ryand
      Artistic

ryand Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Dec 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      TMJ Jaw Inflamation and Clenching
      • Use an app (Noise Gen is free) on your phone to determine your tinnitus frequency. Mine's 7220 Hz.
      • Use Adobe Audition and import your music track.
      • Select Effect > Filter and EQ > Scientific Filter.
      • Select Butter Worth and Band Stop.
      • For Low Pass, choose your tinnitus frequency/1.41 = LP, and for High Pass = LP x 2.
      • Choose 20 for Order.
      • Click Apply and Sync to your phone somehow.
      I do 20 songs together. Jazz track, classical track, workout track, etc.

Hope this helps.

11. PeterPan
      Nerdy

PeterPan Member Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Heat Exhaustion
      These types of results seem to be extremely common for tinnitus treatment trials. Usually there is a large highly significant drop in THI, but normally for both the control arm and the treatment arm. Which means there is no evidence the treatment works and the results we are seeing are likely due to placebo effects.

The other thing which seems to be common for tinnitus trials is the extremely small sample sizes!

12. Christiaan
      Inspired

Christiaan Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      2016: headphones, 2020: worsened thanks to Rammstein
      Broadband Sound Equalized by The Hearing Loss Curves as an Improved Stimulus for Tinnitus Retraining Therapy-A Pilot, Non-Controlled Observational Study (Cuesta & Cobo, 2020)

OBJECTIVES
      This study aimed to assess if a short tinnitus treatment, combining counseling with broadband noise filtered by the hearing loss curves, provided significant relief in tinnitus patients.

MATERIALS and METHODS
      25 tinnitus subjects of heterogeneous etiology were subjected to sound therapy, 1 hour per day, for 4 months. All of them underwent a unique initial counseling session aimed at undoing previous negative perceptions of tinnitus and highlighting the real expectations from tinnitus therapies. Customized stereo sound stimuli were designed by filtering broadband noise using the hearing loss curves of each ear. A monthly follow-up was carried out by assessing the severity of tinnitus through a validated Spanish version of the Tinnitus Handicap Inventory (THI).

RESULTS
      88% (22 of 25) of the patients completing the treatment obtained significant relief after 4 months. After 4 months of treatment, the average decrease in THI from its initial value for the 22 successful participants was 29.

CONCLUSION
      The average THI score reduction after 4 months of treatment can be considered to be an excellent improvement when compared with other similar studies. The proposed customized sound therapy was effective in reducing tinnitus in patients of heterogeneous etiology.

Link:
      https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7419093/

• Like Like x 1
    13. Christiaan
      Inspired

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Successful Aplication of Sound Therapy to a Patient with Severe Tinnitus: Case Study (Cobo, 2021)

Abstract

Tinnitus is an auditory disorder difficult to treat due to its heterogeneity. Therefore, there is not a unique treatment being effective for 100% of patients. Nevertheless, practical guideline for tinnitus treatment recommends the combined use of sound therapy and counselling. The tinnitus relief provided for this treatment depends greatly on the specific sound and the time of treatment. The present report describes a case of successful application of sound therapy combined with counselling to a 63-year-old with severe tinnitus primarily resistant to treatment. A sudden increase of his Tinnitus Handicap Inventory after the third month of treatment, due to a traumatizing sound exposure, caused his distress became catastrophic. However, a careful design of a new sound stimulus, combined with subsequent counselling sessions, was crucial to achieve the adherence of the patient to the treatment. After 24 months, his tinnitus handicap became quite light. Therefore, the persistent combination of directive counselling and customized sound therapy provided a very relevant relief to the primarily resistant patient after 24 month of treatment.

Link: https://www.heraldopenaccess.us/ope...-to-a-patient-with-severe-tinnitus-case-study

14. td48

td48 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Cold?
      I developed a 9450 Hz tone in my left ear early in February at the onset of a sinus infection.

Doctors haven't been much help (sum total results of visits: GP = "go see an ENT". ENT = "learn to live with it").

I am curious about notch therapy.

I have an app that can generate sounds / noise with the appropriate notch.

That being said, does anyone have advice on how/what I should be listening to?

White noise seems to be more even across the spectrum on both sides of the notch.

Should I listen in both ears or just the left?

What volume should I use? Obviously not "loud" but should I be using just enough so that the tinnitus fills in or should it be louder?

I realize there are no hard and fast answers with this. I'm asking more to see if others in similar situations have had success.

Thanks.

15. Christiaan
      Inspired

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hi there @td48. What kind of app do you use? Does it allow you to remove the frequency range in which your tinnitus resides?

I personally use Adobe Audition to adjust the frequency spectrum of my Spotify playlists and it's a project that I've recently started, so it's too early to tell if it does something for my tinnitus. Anyway, it's one way to apply a kind of DIY notch therapy at home.

If I'm not mistaken, listening to broadband sound (e.g., white noise) seems to be considered as the most effective treatment for addressing tinnitus. Here's one paper in which broadband music is mentioned as an effective intervention:

Broadband Sound Equalized by The Hearing Loss Curves as an Improved Stimulus for Tinnitus Retraining Therapy-A Pilot, Non-Controlled Observational Study

The exposure to the main intervention is by the way stereo + it's adjusted to the volume just under the level of one's tinnitus, so it seems to help even those who have unilateral tinnitus. More specifics about how they applied the method is mentioned in the paper.

I hope I have informed you well enough. Please let me or anyone here on Tinnitus Talk know if you have any questions.

16. td48

td48 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Cold?
      Thank you for the info.

The app I use is called TinnitusPlay. It is a free app. It removes approximately a 1 kHz notch centered on the frequency entered from a bank a sound options (white/pink/brown noise, static, rain, etc).

17. Christiaan
      Inspired

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      No problemo. I've read some things about TinnitusPlay on this forum, but I have not used it. Seems interesting though. Please let us know how things are going with your notched therapy (y)

18. Fields
      Busy

Fields Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise trauma
      I've been trying notched therapy since December. I haven't noticed any difference, to be frank.

19. Christiaan
      Inspired

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @Fields I'm sorry to hear that it didn't work for you so far. Did you use an app or is it a program that is offered to you by a university?