On My Way to Recovery from Tinnitus and Hyperacusis

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Vassili, Apr 11, 2020.

1. Eleanor89
      Approved

Eleanor89 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hello @IntotheBlue03, my tinnitus started 26 years ago, and I habituated.

However, I remember my tinnitus feeling as if it was in the back of my head but over time that resolved.

And I got on with my life.

It magnified eight months ago with hyperacusis following major surgery.

But I remain positive and it is getting better. It just takes time and prayers.

• Like Like x 2
      • Hug Hug x 2
    2. Taw

Taw Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Pain hyperacusis since 03/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma (drum lessons)
      @Vassili, congratulations for your recovery, reading a success story always helps our morale.

Maybe I missed it, but what was the cause of your tinnitus and hyperacusis? And did you have burning/stabbing pain in silence?

Thanks!

• Like Like x 2
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Vassili
      Dreaming

Vassili Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise-induced
      A really loud rehearsal with a Heavy Metal band in a small room.
      Yes, I had it all. Nowadays, when I'm in silence, I feel a bit pressure in my temples or forehead, or feel almost nothing.

I hope for a full recovery in the course of 4-5 years. Who knows? Time will tell. I am already extremely grateful for where I am now after 2 years and 4 months.

Have a great day, bro!

• Like Like x 3
      • Good Question Good Question x 1
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    4. Taw

Taw Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Pain hyperacusis since 03/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma (drum lessons)
      Thanks a lot for your answer. My case is almost identical to yours. Same acoustic trauma (music in a small room), burning pain even in silence, and I have also pressure in ears.

I hope I will recover, I did not spot anything special that you did to recover, so I guess it's time + silence (but not overprotection).

Cheers.

• Like Like x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Vassili
      Dreaming

Vassili Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise-induced
      And heroin every now and then... nah, just kidding. :LOL:

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
    6. Traumasux

Traumasux Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Fireworks
      Hello @Vassili, great to read about you recovering!

I have a couple of questions.

-Did you have TMJ issues after the acoustic trauma?

-Did you have a heightened sensitivity in your skin, hands or feet (you wrote nerve pain all over your body)?

-Did you feel an airy feeling in your ears/Eustachian tubes? Almost like breathing with your ears.

Any other tips? I'm like 8-9 months into an acoustic shock...

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Vassili
      Dreaming

Vassili Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise-induced
      Thank you!
      No.
      Yes, I had lots of strange stuff.
      Yes.
      No special tips. Just protect your ears in loud environments and take it day by day.

• Like Like x 2
    8. Traumasux

Traumasux Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Fireworks
      Did the "airy" feeling subside also?

Did you have a loud crackle when swallowing?

Did you use earplugs in the beginning? I started using them pretty late in and they seem to worsen my sensitivity.

9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Vassili
      Dreaming

Vassili Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise-induced
      Yes, it gradually did.
      No.
      During first 6 months I did not use any earplugs because my ears were in so much pain that I couldn't even touch them, not to speak of plugging them. Then for 1 year I wore old simple in-ear headphones when I was outside or in a public place. In loud environments I used musician's earplugs. Also, I never protected my ears at home because I started introducing everyday sounds straight away. Protected only when vacuuming. After 1.5 years I stopped using ear protection (I still only use ear protection if it's loud and I'm uncomfortable).
      Overprotection can cause that. Do not wear earplugs 24/7.

• Like Like x 1
    10. Traumasux

Traumasux Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Fireworks
      How long did it take for the "airy" feeling to subside, and would you describe it like breathing through your ear?

Problem is I have a VERY loud 6-month-old at home. I don't know how I should tackle that. Now I use musician's earplugs and earmuffs on top when playing with him.

You are the first I have spoken to that suffered an acoustic shock but didn't get TMJ issues, that's weird!

11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Vassili
      Dreaming

Vassili Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise-induced
      It took about a year for sure, maybe more. I wouldn't describe it like breathing through my ear.
      That's fine. Only you know what works best for you.
      I would say I had very severe muscle spasms, yes. I never had TMJ-related problems in my life. Explain to me how can one occur after a noise trauma? Not a spasm but a particular problem with a joint? Anyway, I've been to the dentist surgeon and I was told that I do not have this problem. But every case is special. Maybe you had this problem before your acoustic shock?

12. Bry

Bry Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      • Like Like x 1
    13. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Vassili
      Dreaming

Vassili Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise-induced
      Nowadays my condition is very livable.

• Hug Hug x 1
    14. rogerlee

rogerlee Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise, medication
      Hi Vassili, can I ask if you have done a hearing test and if you have hearing loss at certain frequencies?

Also, can I ask what supplements or medication you have been taking and are still taking?

Thank you,
      Gary

15. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Vassili
      Dreaming

Vassili Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise-induced
      Hello, Gary!

I've done hearing tests two times. First one was done 3 weeks after my acoustic trauma and second one two years later. Both times my ENT doctor did not find any problems with my hearing.

As for supplements and medications, everything I've taken did not help me at all, there's no medication, no magic pill for this. So don't waste your money. Only time and avoidance of loud environments plus a healthy lifestyle help. If you have hearing loss then, I'm afraid, tinnitus is here to stay but do not make fast conclusions at this early stage. Miracles do happen. Give yourself at least two years time. It's a long and tough ride but there's no other way, unfortunately. Try to stay positive.

Have a great day, Gary! Take care!

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    16. rogerlee

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise, medication
      Hi Vassili,

Thank you so much for answering my questions. Was your hearing test done for frequencies from 100 Hz to 8000 Hz? Have you heard of extended or ultra high frequency hearing test that goes from 8000 Hz to 20000 Hz? It's not common but I am just wondering if you have heard of this test or done it yourself. Thank you.

Gary

17. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Vassili
      Dreaming

Vassili Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise-induced
      Sorry, I know nothing about test parameters because I didn't speak about it with my doctor. I've read about this ultra high frequency hearing test on this forum so I know it exists but I'm not sure which test I had.

All I can say is that with time my condition got much better and continues to improve but really slowly. I don't feel that there's something wrong with my hearing at all so if, presumably, there's some ultra high hearing loss, it doesn't affect my quality of life at all. Plus, I am 34 now and I'm sure that at this age my hearing differs from the one I had let's say when I was 18 years old. It's an ordinary thing. People lose hearing with time. Anyway, the brain is an amazing organ and it will sort things out.

Give your ears a chance. Protect them. ;)

• Like Like x 2
    18. rogerlee

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise, medication
      Hi Vassili,

Sorry just one more quick question. Did you try steroid treatment after your noise induced incident?

Thanks.

19. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Vassili
      Dreaming

Vassili Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise-induced
      No, I didn't. If there's no hearing loss, there's no need.

• Agree Agree x 1
    20. rogerlee

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise, medication
      I see some people take steroid after sound trauma. Anyways, I thought it was a precautionary strategy. Sorry to bother you. It is too late for me anyway. I'd I wish I knew earlier. I feel there is hearing loss that did not show up on my audiograms because things sound quite different after my sound trauma.

• Hug Hug x 1
    21. makeyourownluck
      Magical

makeyourownluck Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I’m going to be an exception to this rule. Watch this space! :D Very good journal you’ve got here. I should have done something similar. How are you doing now?

• Hug Hug x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    22. audioprog

audioprog Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably stress
      @Vassili, I've been reading your posts and taking some inspiration as I have some similar experiences to you, though I am less than 6 months in. Reading your posts and seeing your progress gives me hope.

Sending best wishes and support to all of you - Stay positive and we will all get through it in our own time.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    23. Jinxy2301

Jinxy2301 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      COVID-19
      @Vassili, can I have an update on your condition now?

• Agree Agree x 1
    24. Esra47
      Sad

Esra47 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SNHL
      Well even if you have hearing loss, your tinnitus can subside! I had a talk today with an audiologist. She had hearing loss (high frequencies) probably because of stress and she said to me that it took a long time to recover (1-2 years) but now she is tinnitus free and her hearing tests are normal again (even in the high frequencies).

I thing we need to be patient. Time is a great healer :)

• Optimistic Optimistic x 2
      • Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    25. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Vassili
      Dreaming

Vassili Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise-induced
      You've got a very good attitude. If the cause of your tinnitus is unknown, then you can be an exception for sure. I know one woman who had tinnitus for seven years. It came suddenly and went away suddenly. The cause was also unknown. ;)

26. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Vassili
      Dreaming

Vassili Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise-induced
      This is great news! :rockingbanana:

27. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Vassili
      Dreaming

Vassili Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise-induced
      Ok, a small update on my condition coming...

It's been 2 years and 10 months from my trauma. Now the loudness of tinnitus is usually something like 2/10, sometimes 3/10 in the evening after a long stressful day.

I still have mild headache and nerve pain every day but it's mild enough to not to think about it, to hold it somewhere in the background of my consciousness.

I think hyperacusis is 95% gone or even more. I usually don't notice it but when I'm tired or because of some other reasons it can come back a bit but it's not nearly as severe as it once used to be.

Very rarely some mild balance issues still occur but I am coping very well because it's not a full-blown vertigo anymore or a nasty feeling of falling into a trap door every second of your existence.

One more game changer for me is that I've started sleeping in absolute silence 3-4 nights a week. It is amazing. I thought I would never be able to do that again in my lifetime.

So, what can I say? I am coping pretty well. My condition is livable. Things are getting better but really slowly.

Have patience everyone, try to stay positive, visit doctors if needed and turn to God for help.

Have a wonderful day, everyone! Autumn is beautiful. :cat:

• Winner x 7
      • Optimistic x 3
      • Like x 2
      • Hug x 2
      • Friendly x 2
      • Helpful x 1
    28. Marshall
      Anime

Marshall Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barotrauma/virus/loud noise/antibiotics
      Sleeping in silence really calms my tinnitus down for the next day. It’s been a game changer for me too. If you give your body a rest, might as well give your ears a rest too.

I’m glad things are looking better man. I’ve read your posts so many time. Patience is key.

• Like Like x 2
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
      • Useful Useful x 1
    29. makeyourownluck
      Magical

makeyourownluck Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Good to hear about your friend @Vassili. I’m 14 months in now and some days are still a struggle.

Glad you are doing well. This thread has helped so many people through a such a dark time. Thank you for the consistent updates. Wish you all the best for the future.

• Friendly Friendly x 3
      • Hug Hug x 1
    30. ZFire
      Pacman

ZFire Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      2012 (mild) & 04/2021 (severe)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ototoxicity (2012) Unknown-likely noise induce (2021)
      It helps with habituation IMO too. Deliberately and actively seeking out the noise while sleeping has helped me trivialize the tinnitus to the point where I’m starting to view it as a part of me now.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 4
      • Hug Hug x 1