One Day at a Time

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Nima Aflatooni, Jan 9, 2017.

1. Nima Aflatooni
      Worried

Nima Aflatooni Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hi Everyone

I'm 37 and developed tinnitus roughly 9 months ago. I think it may have started due to ototoxicity caused by exposure to chemicals but I'm not sure. I have a fluctuating hissing sound in my left ear and sometimes right. There are "clicks" and I sometimes feel pressure also. An MRI revealed no pathology except for two arachnoid cysts that are benign and likely not causing the tinnitus. I have very high frequency hearing loss.

Habituation has been incredibly difficult, and although sometimes it's not as bad, it is always there. This hissing sound is somewhere at around 18kHz. So very high. I'm hoping it will diminish over time or there will be some therapies that will work. The anxiety associated with it has been rough, but i'm trying hard not to let it alter my quality of life.

I'm a dentist and I have a patient who lost half of her face due to a hospital-acquired bone infection. She has no left eye, or orbit, or zygoma, or maxilla... yet, she is one of the most positive and hopeful people I have ever met... I think about her anytime my tinnitus bothers me. Life is a series of tests and challenges and it's all about how we react to them. Good luck everyone

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    2. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Welcome to Tinnitus Talk Nima,
      You might find noise reduction plugs helpful when doing a lot of tooth drilling or cleaning.
      Your patient sounds like a lovely person and her positivity for life will reflect on other people...lots of love glynis

3. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      Welcome to the forum. I have ultra high pitch T too and severe hyperacusis on top of that. I struggled badly initially and had no idea how to survive the both of them. But thanks to learning from the guiding lights, people who are positive even in the face of tough trial like the lady you mention above, I have learned to climb out of the tunnel. Today, my T doesn't bother me like before. It is still there super high pitch but the body is hardened to this sensation. So hang in there. It will get better. God bless.

If the success stories will help you, here is the link to mine and try to read up many others too so you can learn their insights to habituation:

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/thread...w-i-recovered-from-tinnitus-hyperacusis.3148/

This is the success story of a doctor:

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/how-cbt-helped-me-live-again-dr-hubbards-story.4608/

4. Kelvin

Kelvin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      June 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Dental Work
      Interested to see you are a Dentist ! My T started after a visit to my dentist for a routine filling. Not sure if it was the very high Frequency drill noise ( which is truly awful ) or the pressure on my jaw muscles. Whatever happened I was a person without T when I went in and within a few hours of my treatment I developed a continuous High Frequency Hiss in one ear and sometimes in both. Delightful. Not found anything to help as yet but if I was you I would sure mask out some of that drill sound if you listen to it often. I think you have to learn to love it or at least live with it. I find walking outside helps me ignore it...but its always there waiting to make it presence known.Wishing you a quiet day.
      http://tinnituscontrolcenter.com/tinnitus-and-dental-issues/

5. Bobby B
      Fine

Bobby B Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Large caliber rifles&machine guns, +30 years of loud clubs
      I know a dentist and he got severe high frequency hearing loss but is ok in the low frequncy - he says he cannot hear the S sounds
      Watch out for that drill - over the years it can damage the ears unless they have recent silent ones