Only 15, I Have Somewhat Bad Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Support' started by Entity, Dec 18, 2016.

1. Entity

Entity Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I always had SOME ringing, in a completely dead silent room, I'm sure almost everyone did, but roughly a month ago, it suddenly turned worse, into something i could actually call tinnitus. I've read up on it, apparently having a sound machine barely quieter than the ringing can help, but that doesn't work. If i lie down, it's so loud even a white noise device right next to my head can't drown it out. I only have problems with it when I'm sleeping so i could use some advice here. As far as i know, i don't have any hearing lose, in fact i have very sensitive hearing make it harder for me to sleep sometimes. I've always hated loud sounds because of this, so i don't think that's the cause. It could be earwax, so I'll investigate into that further.

The worse part is, the ringing is almost 2x worse when I'm tired. I got a bad sleep night a week earlier, now the ringing is so loud that it only lets me get at most 6 hours of sleep which keeps me in a perpetually tired state. I'm a person who needs his sleep to function and i can't sleep well with this ringing :/

Edit: I'll probably try to clean my ears and hope it makes a difference, i hope it's that simple.

2. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      @Entity
      Hi Entity,
      It is not uncommon for people to hear some slight tinnitus in a very quiet room as you have experienced. However, as yours has got louder it could indicate that something is causing it. You are right that earwax could be responsible. I don't advise putting anything into your ears to help remove it, such as a cotton bud. Often this will push the wax closer to the eardrum. Therefore, it's best to make an appointment to be seen at your GP surgery for ear irrigation.

The most common cause of tinnitus is exposure to loud noise. Have you been listening to music through headphones or playing computer games wearing a headset? Visiting places of entertainment were loud music is played?

If you have been doing any of the above this could be the reason you are experiencing tinnitus. By all means listen to your music or play computer games wearing headphones/headset. Just be careful not to turn up the volume too high. It might be a good idea to give your ears a rest for just a while. I think it's a good idea not to listen to any music through headphones. Just for a one or two weeks.

Using a sound machine at night takes time to get used to. Try not to turn up the volume so that it masks your tinnitus. Set the level slightly below your tinnitus. Please click on the link below and read my post: Tinnitus, A Personal View. You might find it helpful

All the best
      Michael https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/tinnitus-a-personal-view.18668/

• Winner Winner x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Entity

Entity Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I play games very often with a headset, but i never put it incredibly loud, or participate in loud events. However there is one thing, I sometimes go target shooting with my father. I wear ear protection so i don't think that caused it since it's somewhat uncommon. As far as i know, i have no noticeable hearing loss. Putting the sound machine at any level hardly helps. Even if i try to tell myself the noise isn't real, it just blares in my ears regardless of anything. it's a matter of distraction for me, if I'm distracted playing a game I'll never notice it, but if I'm sleeping there's nothing to distract me. Since i have very sensitive sleep regarding sound, using cricket sounds or something that could distract me would just keep me from sleeping anyway. I need a very silent environment to sleep at all, that's why I'm in the quietest part of my house. That mixed tinnitus doesn't make an especially convenient combination. Any raises of volume in any kind of sound is a problem. My ears hone in on any sound that isn't white noise, making it very difficult to sleep unless I'm in an entirely silent environment or white noise is drowning everything out so nothing is distinguishable as varying volume.

4. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      You would be surprised how high the volume levels can get when wearing a headset to play computer games or listening to music through them. What you might think is not loud very often is too loud. The fact that you often wear a headset suggests to me this could be the reason for the increase in your tinnitus.

Even though you wore ear protection when shooting the gun, no ear protection is 100% safe.
      Since the most common cause of tinnitus is exposure to loud noise, I advise you to consider what I have said about giving your ears a rest for 1 or 2 weeks. Many people at Tinnitus Talk developed tinnitus due to headphone use. Just be careful and keep the volume low.
      Michael

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Entity

Entity Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Thanks for the tips, hopefully that's not the problem, since this only recently is causing a problem for me, which would seem odd for headphones.

6. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      It is not odd believe me. You are young so I don't want to scare you but tinnitus can become a very serious condition if you don't take notice of the warning signs...Just remember what I have said.
      Michael

7. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Hi entity .
      Try keep sound on low around you and use hands free on a mobile phone if on it a while.
      TRY keep to a sleeping pattern as will help and not on a computer or playing games an hour before you sleep giving you time to unwind.
      Take time out for yourself in the day to relax or a relaxing walk in the fresh air and see your doctor if find yourself feeling low.
      We are here to support you around the clock so ask away anything you need to know.
      Keep ear plugs with you if you know you will be going in to loud places ...lots of love glynis

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Entity

Entity Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Managing my sleeping is difficult, as it is very touchy. If anything messes it up it will throw everything off.

9. glynis
      Feminine

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Melatonin can help and not addictive and other medication if needed.
      Have a chat with your doctor .

Try a relaxing bath at night and milky drink and some reading or relaxing music as might help ....lots of love glynis

10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Entity

Entity Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I tried melatonin once years ago, i had a severe reaction to it, i had terrible hives. So unfortunately, that's not an option. I could try a drink however.

11. glynis
      Feminine

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      A low dose antidepresant can help sleep so might be worth considering...lots of love glynis