Overview: Promising Future Treatments for Tinnitus and Hearing Loss

Discussion in 'Treatments' started by Erlend, Mar 16, 2014.

1. Thuan

Thuan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection right ear 2018. Sound trauma left ear 2020.
      For neurotinnitus (non-somatic tinnitus), I'm keeping an eye on three Frequency Therapeutics, Otonomy, and Hough, which are initiating or are in the process of Phase 2 clinical trials. From what I understand they all propose restoration of the cochlear hair cells which they did pre-clinical tests on animals. We don't really know what specific frequencies these restoration do (but FX-322 suggests it will restore high or ultra high frequencies). Most of these companies' phase 2 trials will end by this year or next year. If they gather more data and refine their delivery/drug, they might restore lower frequencies too but I suspect that will be much harder.

But, who knows? Who even knows if this will even help tinnitus? My least hopeful is that if it does restore hearing, it will at least suppress some tinnitus since it will allow people to hear better background noises to mask their tinnitus. Let's all hope that everything is as promising as these companies make it out to be.

2. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      • Agree Agree x 1
    3. WillBeNimble
      Buzzed

WillBeNimble Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Damage from earphones
      It was Lim's device from University of Minnesota, not Shore's device. They are similar. Lim moved on to Lenire for now though, and I don't know if his work is being continued. I would not bet on Lenire, though.

• Informative Informative x 1
    4. WillBeNimble
      Buzzed

WillBeNimble Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Damage from earphones
      FX-322 is doing hair cells, Hough is working on the synapses, and Otonomy has drugs that are trying to do both separately, OTO-313 and OTO-413. OTO-313 didn't seem to work that well and targeted the acute stage. OTO-413 looks more promising. These cover the hearing restoration side.

Then there's Shore's device, which needs a phase 2 trial but has been delayed by COVID-19.

And finally, in the future there is Reformulated Trobalt for safety and Gateway Biotech's pill to watch.

• Informative Informative x 2
    5. FGG
      No Mood

FGG Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      OTO-313 is not regenerative. It acts on the NMDA receptor.

For otonomy, OTO-413 is for synapses and OTO-6xx (in pre-clinical) is for hair cells.

6. FGG
      No Mood

FGG Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      Overview of drugs to watch:

Hair cell drugs:

FX-322: Inner and outer hair cells. In phase 2A. They have had positive testimonials for tinnitus in phase 1 and now are measuring it to get hard data in phase 2A.

CGF-166: Novartis' drug. This drug required a really destructive surgical technique to implement and the trial continuation was postponed twice (see thread for more info).

OTO-6xx: In pre-clinical. Seems like they will file an IND soon since they are hyping it a lot on corporate presentations.

Hough anti-sense mRNA therapy: Hair cell restoration of some sort. Little public data at this time.

Synapse drugs:

OTO-413. In phase 1/2A. Results should be out end of this year.

Hough Pill: Between phase 1 and 2. Timeline unknown.

PIPE-505: recruiting for phase 1 now. May also regrow outer hair cells to some degree.

Other:

Dr. Thanos Tzounopoulos' reformulation of Trobalt to make it safer and more specific for the target ion channel.

Oto-313: acts on NMDA receptor and is specifically a tinnitus treatment (but being tested on acute cases).

Sound Pharmaceuticals: They have glutathione peroxidase inducing small molecule. Currently being tested for Meniere's.

For Meniere's they saw improvements in tinnitus even with chronic cases:

https://www.audiology-worldnews.com...drug-to-relieve-tinnitus-in-meniere-s-disease

They are now testing the drug for acute noise induced cases concurrently but i think if your tinnitus has a significant inflammatory component, this pill might help even chronic cases.

Other companies to watch:
      • Gateway Biotechnology
      • Decibel Therapeutics: They have a new hearing loss drug in pre-clinical.
      • Akouos: They are using gene therapy mostly for genetic deafness but they have a drug in pre-clinical using a viral vectured technique for hearing restoration too -- this technique whether by this company or others could be used in more severe hearing loss cases or eventually to transduce fibroblasts into support cells)

• Informative Informative x 6
      • Winner Winner x 3
    7. sensualmosquito
      Confused

sensualmosquito Member

Tinnitus Since:
      June 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      6-8 khz HL, T and H from gunshots
      I'm hoping for FX 322... seems to be pretty close to something real, and hopefully they can find a solution for restoring lower frequencies in the cochlea. I'm going to try to get in to their phase 3 trials if possible.