Poll: Did You Know Loud Noise Could Cause Tinnitus or Hyperacusis?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Dubbyaman, Apr 19, 2016.

?

Before Your Onset, Did You Know Loud Noise Could Cause Tinnitus or Hyperacusis?

1. Yes

2. No

Results are only viewable after voting.
    1. Dubbyaman
      Angry

Dubbyaman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Excessive loud noise
      How many of you knew that loud noise could cause tinnitus or hyperacusis?

Just a random observation. That's all.

• Good Question Good Question x 2
    2. Aussie Lea
      Dramaqueen

Aussie Lea Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2013
      I knew of the ringing ears after clubs and gigs but not that it could stay indefinitely.

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Yes I knew...lots of love glynis

4. Sarah Russett

Sarah Russett Member

Tinnitus Since:
      August 2015 - April 2017 (now T-free)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise-induced
      I knew about it but thought it would only happen if you really battered your ears. And that's just not true. I mean, it's true to a certain extent, but most people here are just people who are just susceptible to tinnitus for some reason.

5. Mario martz
      Creative

Mario martz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      Never knew,
      i would get the ringing after a loud concert.
      but never knew about it being a condition.
      when people say "you will go deaf if you listen to a lot of music"
      they should add "and get ringing ears too"

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    6. Ears Hurt

Ears Hurt Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Whiplash or Buzzer (abuse from ex)
      I knew about it; I didn't know that it could become permanent. I always protected my ears; however, you can't control people around you that can cause it. Mine was due to either being harassed with a loud buzzer I couldn't escape due to being trapped hearing it in fear to move away from it or me getting rear-ended in a car accident.

I'll spend the rest of my life wishing I opened the door, because if he hit me at least those scars would have healed. I also wish I stayed home the day I was rear-ended. I wouldn't have to deal with this torture. :cry:

• Like Like x 2
      • Hug Hug x 1
    7. Telis

Telis Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      Thought it was something that always went away, never heard of a single case of it or even the word tinnitus.

• Agree Agree x 1
    8. NineNails

NineNails Member

I knew about T but not hyperacusis hence I always protected my ears with foam earplugs to no avail apparently. There's more than acoustic trauma.

9. bill 112
      Fine

bill 112 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      Didn't have a clue what T was until I got it.I did't know what H was until I got it either.I never really experienced T before in my life except once after a concert and maybe a few other occasions,I always though it was something that just went away.I thought you lost hearing and that was it,not this hell!

• Agree Agree x 1
    10. zombiechick
      Probing

zombiechick Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Medication and hearing loss
      Nope. I was always told I would go deaf if I exposed myself to loud noises but I had never heard of tinnitus until the ringing started.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    11. Dave AUS
      Depressed

Dave AUS Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Too Loud Indoor Rock Concert
      Not at all. In forty years of living I'd never heard the word tinnitus or that ringing in the ears after a concert could become permanent or even that they rang because of nerve damage. Not one written or spoken piece of advice from anyone to be careful around loud noise because tinnitus can happen let alone hyperacusis.

I honestly blame the government. The ENTs I've seen tell me they see this all the time yet nothing ever from the government that has control. At least in Australia.

If I knew that ear ringing could be permanent I would not have gone to any amplified music venues full stop. There are not even laws on how loud they can but not that the punter knows this!!! Totally utterly ridiculous. Poor public. This has ruined my life and health. Almost a year in since silence.

• Agree Agree x 2
    12. Sebastians

Sebastians Member

Tinnitus Since:
      13/10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Guitars, loud girls and guns
      Yeah i knew, drummer buddy of mine has it for 7 years now. He warned me for it so i wore earplugs to shows and rehearsals. Never stood close to speakers etc.
      Got it anyways by a cruel twist of fate

• Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    13. Bobby B
      Fine

Bobby B Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Large caliber rifles&machine guns, +30 years of loud clubs
      I always thought it would go away eventually

I had it before and it went away after 2 weeks one morning woke up and it was gone just like that.

This time is more serious , but who knows I haven't lost hope.

There really isn't enough info about this whole issue - I was at least lucky enough to grow up In a country where there are laws against max noise levels in clubs and events
      I'm suprised that not many other countries have done the same to protect their citizens

• Agree Agree x 1
    14. Jason_Cohen

Jason_Cohen Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2015
      I think I had only heard the word tinnitus for the first time a week or so before I got it. I'd been to two concerts and never got temporary tinnitus, only the fullness. I even have two uncles who have it, and neither of them ever said anything.

• Like Like x 1
    15. Miranda
      Breezy

Miranda Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I had never even heard of Tinnitus until I got it

• Like Like x 1
    16. LukeYoung
      Frantic

LukeYoung Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      A loud Concert - Noise Exposure
      Never heard of it.

Needs a lot more awareness.

• Agree Agree x 2
    17. Reinier
      Not amused

Reinier Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Explosion starting engine
      Tinnitus, yes. Hyperacusis and distortion, no.
      Also I could not have envisaged the level of discomfort.

18. Sam Bridge

Sam Bridge Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music/gigs probably
      No i had never heard of it. Now i think about some concert venues have small warning notices saying loud music could damage your hearing.. How many people read this or even take it seriously? 5,10 percent maybe. Even if i go to a gig now many aren't wearing plugs. Of course if a big deal were made about hearing loss and tinnitus due to loud music people would possibly not go and then the live music industry would suffer financially right?

• Agree Agree x 1
    19. Tamika
      No Mood

Tamika Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      One loud indoor concert
      What country are you in? I've never heard anyone mention warning signs before. I think there should be warning signs in every venue and on tickets that hearing protection is advised. I didn't know, but I would have taken it seriously.
      Some people like myself who wouldn't normally go to concerts do not know hearing protection is needed even though we may be very careful using power tools etc.
      Yes I think you are right!

Some things like mandatory warnings need legislation to happen - just like protecting people from smoking.

• Agree Agree x 1
    20. Andi Wijaya

Andi Wijaya Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I know that loud noises can damage hearing but I always thought it was deafness. Tinnitus is a new word for me.

21. Sam Bridge

Sam Bridge Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music/gigs probably
      I am in England, and in yes there are small and vague notices stating that loud music could cause hearing damage. Usually these signs are seen just as you are going into the actual stage area. Of course many a time i and many many others did not notice this sign or looked at it and thought something like" surely they wouldnt have the music loud enough to damage ones hearing".

• Hug Hug x 1
    22. Beste
      Disappointed

Beste Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/16/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzo/Clonazepam, Stress
      No. But I'm still in doubt it is like that for everyone. I have always been the one who stays away from night clubs, concerts etc.(really do not like that places) but I am the ONLY ONE who got T. My friends go to clubs every Saturday. In Turkey, the sound in clubs is ridiculously loud. But I have never had a friend who got T from these places.

Btw, my answers is "No". I always thought loud noises could cause partial deafness but I never heard about tinnitus and hyperacusis till benzo w/d.

23. Tom Cnyc

Tom Cnyc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Warehouse event after years of enjoying music.
      I knew about tinnitus. Hyperacusis I've never heard of before a few weeks ago.

Reasonably I knew your ears could buzz forever, but I had no idea YOUR HEAD would buzz from it or that it would come on so suddenly. I've been to hundreds of events in my life, and never had a problem until 1. I went from admittedly a little hearing loss / occasionally noticing that silence had "changed" to dealing some seriously distressing shit. Fingers crossed, its fading.

24. TC426
      Hungover

TC426 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      I knew about T as a condition (some friends suffer from it as well), had no clue about H tho.
      Although knowing that extended times at exessive volumes may trigger T, I did not expect it to come from 0 to 100 with a single stumble.