Poll: Do You Listen to Music with Headphones? Has It Made Your Tinnitus Worse?

Discussion in 'Support' started by PureNoise, Jun 11, 2019.

?

Do you listen to music with headphones?

1. Yes, it has not worsened my tinnitus

2. Yes, it has worsened my tinnitus

3. No, but I did for a while after my tinnitus onset, and I stopped because it worsened my tinnitus

4. No, not after I got tinnitus

5. I've never listened to music with headphones

Results are only viewable after voting.
    1. TheDanishGirl
      Sad

TheDanishGirl Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2017 (H since 06/2017)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      long term noise exposure (headphones), maybe some stress.
      Not anymore. Haven't touched them for about 1½ year now. They caused my tinnitus, so I can't risk the possibility of them worsening it further.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    2. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Anyone in this forum that has tinnitus which was caused by "exposure" to loud noise and not caused by an underlying medical condition, and still uses headphones no matter how low the volume, risks the tinnitus becoming worse. The evidence is overwhelming. If you choose to ignore this truth and still use headphones, then you have no-one else but yourself to blame if the tinnitus gets worse!

Do not listen to doctors that may tell you using headphones at low volume is safe because it's not. These doctors are physicians and know about the anatomy of the ear. They can treat it medically or surgically and any underlying medical problem causing the tinnitus within the auditory system. They are not tinnitus experts and most (but not all) know absolutely nothing about tinnitus.

Michael

PS: My advice is for people with "noise induced" tinnitus. Not tinnitus that was caused by a medical problem.

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    3. Mister Muso
      No Mood

Mister Muso Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2011 / April 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      I just know that, in the days after my trauma when I continued to try and use headphones, my ears hurt after a few minutes. Even with earplugs in.

And some things still hurt my ears. So I'm still avoiding headphones, concerts etc.

I'm three months in, following an acoustic shock. I still have tinnitus and hyperacusis. I've been made worse by a couple of things, but in each case my symptoms have subsided almost to the original April baseline tinnitus level. Neither of these spikes was through headphones, but it seems obvious that, if something hurts, you should stop doing it.

4. RichardGuy
      Depressed

RichardGuy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/16/17, At Age 20
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acute
      I got my tinnitus from acoustic trauma, and initially I did not have much issue with the use of headphones. I used them straight through April/May 2018. However, my tinnitus continued to worsen, and each time I've tried to use headphones I've noticed at least a slight increase in the intensity the following day. Even if I've had them turned down low enough I've strained to hear people talking it seems to just be worse. Could also be anxiety, but I don't feel the need. Plus, just wearing them means I can hear it more clearly.

5. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      wow, so we have ONE whole person who THINKS headphone use worsened their tinnitus, and FIVE who stopped because it might have, comprising less than 10% of responders here?

Clearly this is an epidemic of tremendous proportions.

I mean, seriously, when you look at the graph, discount obvious problems with unblinded self-reported data, and then look at the threads about this over the past several years... just lol.

• Agree Agree x 1
    6. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      I am sorry to know that your tinnitus got worse but pleased to hear that you stopped using headphones. Without doubt, it was headphones that made your tinnitus worse not anxiety....

Take care
      Michael

7. Mister Muso
      No Mood

Mister Muso Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2011 / April 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      Laugh if you want to, but when I started to get stabbing sensations in my ears whilst using headphones at low volume, that was enough reason to stop. I wasn't going to wait to see if I would become another statistic.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    8. RichardGuy
      Depressed

RichardGuy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/16/17, At Age 20
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acute
      Calm down.

Over 50% of responders did not listen to music through headphones after getting tinnitus. I don't even use headphones to talk to friends unless necessary. I hate the sensation, and I can definitely feel a difference in my tinnitus afterwards. You want to try it out, go ahead.

9. MattS
      Balanced

MattS Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Power Tools
      @Starthrower

It does make sense, quite a lot actually.

I'm pretty new to the tinnitus game, but am also a reasonably quick study, and am starting to learn what does/doesn't work for me. The tv speakers are bugging me at the moment, and so I probably need to invest in a better soundbar for less high frequency tinny-ness. So far I seem to be okay with earbuds, and have started playing around with noise cancellation, but I do expect that I could end up gravitating to the over-the-ear variety too. Bluetooth interference is bugging me a lot, so so far I'm sticking to wired buds (no more than 20% volume; often less).

I think that's very interesting about the digital versus analog music. There obviously is something different about it - audiophiles around the world prefer vinyl for it's slightly reduced purity (which really means greater purity).

But your comment also jives with something else I've been thinking about: they say that tinnitus is increasing because of the increased noise in modern day society. But I wonder if it isn't also increasing because of the increased electricity and radio frequencies running through the air. We all know that neurons carry electrical current down their axons, and that tinnitus has something to do with these electrical currents going awry (either not firing, or firing too much, or firing in synchrony, blah, blah, blah). And medical science has shown over and over again that you can actually get neurons to fire via electrical stimulation. I wonder if what we're actually doing is picking up on all of the frequency floating through the air. Grabbing Bluetooth signal, and wifi signal and radio frequencies and fridge hums and light bulb filaments, etc., etc., etc. Maybe what's happened is our damaged neurons have now lost their insulation from all these external signals, and so we're literally "hearing wifi". I dunno...maybe I'm just conjuring up pretty little narratives, but there's a part of me that *feels* like something like that is what's going on with my head.

Anyway, a bit off topic, but your comment got me thinking.

Regardless - thanks for the explanation re your setup and preferences. It helps. Hearing about what others have done. Knowing you're not crazy for being so 'particular'. It all helps.

10. GlennS

GlennS Member Podcast Patron Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      And so the debate continues...

So much of having T is this constant mental polling of your noise and connecting this to recent events to determine whether you've made things worse or not. I really think beyond a certain point it's paranoia and it's a big part of what constitutes T suffering. I also think in a lot of cases a false connection is made. So much of T is subjective that it's all too easy to build a cause and effect case whether it's there or not. In my case there is only one thing that I can directly connect to worsening my T, and it wasn't headphones, it was going to a movie not realizing they had special speakers behind the headphones and only using napkin earplugs (which are more than adequate for normal movies). That was a screwup, and why I'm now hitching my hopes on neuromodulation. But I don't believe headphone use has made my T worse. In fact it's been instrumental in coping as I use it as discrete masking in a way some people use special masking hearing aids. To never use headphones would require bathing myself in talking heads or music from external speakers at almost all times, which is simply impossible, let's say, in an office environment. Nevertheless, some of the people on this forum feel like they have to go on a crusade on this issue. I'm just saying that with a condition like T, how people manage it is really our own prerogative. If you want to avoid headphones, be my guest, but don't attempt to guilt-trip or fear-monger those who see them as more of a treatment for T than a risk-factor for worsening it. So many of us are living in such a way that our coping mechanisms just barely keep us functional. What works for one person may not work for others. Find your own way through it but don't try to impose on others.

BTW, as I've said before, not all headphones are the same. It's been explained many times that "closed" earphones like what are used for music mastering are the most dangerous. Foam earplugs and other designs that allow more air to "breathe" around the ear are safer. And the volume of headphone use is what's most important. Feel free to disagree if you like, but that's my feeling on it and it ain't gonna change anytime soon.

• Agree Agree x 1
    11. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      I have been an Audiophile for many years and you are correct, we do prefer the sound of vinyl records to digital. This is further enhanced by the sound quality of the source components. Music replayed on a good analogue turntable will sound warmer, more three dimensional and engaging than any digital source. Digital has come a long way and does have it place. For instance, the sheer simplicity of this medium has to be recognised and appreciated, something that records cannot match. I listen to both formats and use vinyl for serious listening.

If one really wants to appreciate and be moved by music, whether digital or vinyl it must be replayed through a Valve/tube amplifier preferably using 300b triode tubes. These play in class A mode unlike many solid state amplifiers that are class A and B. Class A 300b amplifier, will sound warmer, more musical than any solid state amplifier and that is a fact. For this reason all "true" audiophiles use valve amplifiers instead of solid state.

Michael

12. TheDanishGirl
      Sad

TheDanishGirl Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2017 (H since 06/2017)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      long term noise exposure (headphones), maybe some stress.
      Some of you sound almost offended that some of us stir away from headphones now, as we don't want to risk it :D

To each their own. You want to use headphones? That's totally fine by me... It's your ears after all.

• Agree Agree x 3
    13. Fifth Business

Fifth Business Member Podcast Patron

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Deafening applause (ppl clap loudly after reading my posts)
      I don't think anyone is offended and I don't want to be some pro headphone warrior, but... people make hyper-authoritative sounding posts filled with imperatives about their use and it just sounds like you're stepping into self-styled guru territory when you do.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    14. Zigs

Zigs Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      What are people’s views and experiences on using normal headphones (i.e. usually used to listen to music)? My tinnitus is very bad at the moment and I can’t focus at work. Is it risky to put earphones in and listen to white noise?

• Hug Hug x 1
    15. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      @Zigs

All headphones are bad for people with "Noise induced" tinnitus. If you use them even at low volume you risk your tinnitus getting much worse. If the tinnitus isn't noise induced, there is still a risk of it becoming worse using headphones. Please read the post below.

Michael

I have expressed many times in the forum that it is a risk for anyone that has tinnitus which was caused by exposure to loud noise to use any type of headphones even at low volume. There are people in this forum that have tinnitus which was caused by "exposure to loud noise" and use headphones without any problems. However, there are many people that have "Noise induced" tinnitus and used headphones at low volume and regretted it, because their tinnitus has increased and wil lnot reduce to its previous baseline level.

The ear canal is approximately 26mm long. When sound is directed into through headphones, it has only one place to go and that is towards the eardrum. This can cause irritating to the cochlear situated behind the eardrum, due the syncopation within music. When listening to music through speakers, there is some dispersion before it is picked up by ear and enters ear-canal. However, if music is too loud one can still cause irritation to the auditory system which can spike the tinnitus and possibly make it worse.

There are people in this forum that have tinnitus which was not caused by exposure to loud noise, and are quick to say using headphones causes no harm for people with Noise induced tinnitus. These people do not have NIT and therefore, know nothing about the condition. If you choose to follow their advice because they are telling you what you want to hear, that is your choice. Just remember, should your tinnitus increase then you will be the one in distress all by yourself with no-one to help you. Peruse some of the posts in this forum from members that have NIT and used headphones and regretted it.

• Like Like x 1
    16. Zigs

Zigs Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      Thank you.

• Like Like x 1
    17. Bartoli

Bartoli Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2009,worsened 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      @Michael Leigh
      What's your view on hearing aids? Aren't they essentially earbuds with a microphone, that have their maximum volume and amplification levels set by the audiologist? They're given to people with tinnitus all the time. These people would all qualify as having compromised hearing one way or the other, with more than a few having noise-induced hearing loss (and tinnitus).

Personally I don't wear headphones or earbuds. I believe the proximity to the eardrum has a greater potential for damage, but not for low level listening. There are also many musicians using in-ear monitors as a way to lower the volume on stage. In this case, it's likely the better option in comparison to the music levels on stage through stage monitors.

• Like Like x 1
    18. MattS
      Balanced

MattS Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Power Tools
      What is this evidence you speak of Michael?

19. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      According to this poll, about 10% of the people felt their T worsened.
      Personally, I still use headphones. I'm careful about volume. My doctors didn't have a problem with it - they actually encouraged me to listen to music and continue playing.
      Good luck!

• Like Like x 3
    20. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Peruse the many posts in this forum by people that have used headphones and regretted it and you will see the evidence that I speak of. Headphones are dangerous for people that have noise induced tinnitus. As I have said many times. Not everyone with NIT tinnitus will be affected by headphone use. However, it is a risk using them, as the tinnitus only needs to spike once and this usually means it will increase to a new permanent level. Since you have noise induced tinnitus, I advise you to be careful if you intend using headphones. If the tinnitus increases you cannot say that you were not told of the risks.

I wish you well.
      Michael

21. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      No they are not. They are completely different from earbuds. Earbuds use a diaphragm or small speaker to produce sound into the ear. The sound is unregulated and can cause irritation to the inner ear. Hearing aids and White noise generators work completely differently. The sound is emitted through a very small hole/aperture within a plastic tube that wraps round the back of the ear and enters the ear canal. The sound is smooth regulated and will not usually irritate the inner ear.

Many musicians do use ear monitors and there's nothing wrong with that and some of them have tinnitus. However, I assure you, their tinnitus is not at the level of severity that many people in this forum have. If it was they wouldn't be able to be playing loud music and wearing ear monitors I promise you.

Tinnitus comes in many forms and intensities and no two people experience it the same. Please be assured of this: When tinnitus becomes severe enough and this level is sustained it becomes seriously debilitating to a person's mental and emotional wellbeing. Please read the post below.

Michael

What is severe debilitating tinnitus?

People that are new to tinnitus have often told me, they didn’t realize it was such a common condition. When discussing it with a friend or family member the reply is: “I just ignore it” “Mine only bothers me at night once asleep I’m fine”. Another might say: “It plays a tune, it was strange at first but I’m used to it now”. And so the story goes on. These comments can make a person think, what is wrong with me, why can’t I just ignore it and get along with my life?

The truth of the matter is this: Tinnitus is a very common condition and comes in many forms and intensities and no two people experience it the same. Fortunately, most people are able to live with it or rather “habituate" and carry on doing all the things that they want to, without it impacting too much on their life. I have covered habituation and the habituation process, in many of my posts and articles that can be found on my started threads.

Although most people eventually habituate to tinnitus naturally or with the help of medication, counselling and sound therapy. There is darker and more sinister side to tinnitus, that is not often talked about but I believe is relevant and should be addressed, especially if one wants to carry on with their life. Under these circumstances, it is absolutely vital that a person seeks the best help that is available to them.

What is severe debilitating tinnitus and what are the best ways of treating it?

I have read posts where people say: “My tinnitus is severe and I’m still able to work”. “My friend has ragging tinnitus, plays in a band and isn’t affected by it”. Some famous musicians say “I hear tinnitus over everything I’m still able to play loud music”.

The answer by those mentioned above to people that have difficulty coping, managing and working with tinnitus because they find it debilitating, it’s all about mind over matter. If you don’t allow tinnitus to get the better of you then you can accomplish anything that you want to do.

In reply to those people I want to say that you are talking absolute rubbish. You are able to continue playing loud music in your band or able work and carrying on doing all the things that you want to do because, your tinnitus has not reached a critical level of intensity yet. I hope it doesn’t because if it ever does, then you will come to know and realize the full wrath of what tinnitus able to unleash someone. Your tinnitus may indeed be intrusive and noticeable over many things. However, I am here to tell you it is not severely debilitating.

When tinnitus reaches a severe level of intensity and this is sustained, it becomes seriously debilitating and affects a person’s mental and emotional wellbeing profoundly. The affected person, will often be under immense pressure trying to cope with not one but often a cacophony of noises in their head and ears. Under these circumstances. It can be very difficult to do some of the most simple every day tasks. Medication in form of antidepressant, benzodiazepine such as clonazepam have often proven to be helpful. So is counselling with a Hearing Therapist or Audiologist, trained in the treatment and management of tinnitus. Contrary to what some people believe, medications do not necessarily make tinnitus worse.

It is reading posts and listening to people that don’t know better who say, antidepressants and benzos make tinnitus worse. These people often have low to moderate tinnitus and are able to manage it quite well, even if its occasionally severe they are not overly troubled by it. Therefore, they have no need to find help taking medication, having counselling or using sound therapy for treatment.

Not seeking professional medical help can result in a person spiralling down into deep depression and having suicidal thoughts due to the immense distress they are put under by intrusive tinnitus. It can sometimes result in a person having to be admitted into hospital psychiatric unit.

Please seek medical help if you are having difficulty coping with tinnitus.

22. Bartoli

Bartoli Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2009,worsened 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      I myself am a musician who quit because of it. But then there are guys like Jeff Beck and Al DiMeola who soldier on. Al DiMeola has it, in his own words "catastrophically". This is the exact term they use to grade tinnitus severity. Him using that clinical term makes me think he had his tinnitus measured and fell into this category. Nevertheless he seems to soldier on regardless. I agree that no one can gauge someone else's tinnitus. However, in DiMeola's case it makes me think I'm just not made of the same stuff as him...

• Agree Agree x 1
    23. eagerUser

eagerUser Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      I've never listened to music with headphones or earbuds.

24. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      I respectively disagree with some of the comments in your post although you are entitled to them. You had to stop being a musician for the very same reasons that I have mentioned in my post: What is severe debilitating tinnitus. Please do not think, to use your terms: Not made of the same stuff as DiMeola, and believe that you are lacking in some way, because this is definitely not the case. I have counselled people and correspond with some at tinnitus forums, that have said, their tinnitus is low but are still distressed by it and want to know the reasons? It's all to do with how it affects a person's mental and emotional wellbeing. We are all different and that makes us unique and no-one can know what we as an individual is experiencing with tinnitus.

Comparing yourself to another person that says their tinnitus is "catastrophically" loud and they can cope with it and you can't is a deafest mentality and I advise you try and change this way of thinking and direct your thoughts to more constructive and positive things like getting yourself better. Try not to dwell on the passed because you cannot change it. Look forwards and hopefully to a brighter future by seeking treatment for help with your tinnitus, if you are having difficultly with it. My post: The habituation process, in the link below I advise you to read. There are other links you may find helpful too.

I say again and please be in no doubt of this. People such as DiMeola, that say their tinnitus is catastrophically loud, I assure it has not reached a critical level of severity yet "For Him" where it is sustained. If it ever does he will have to stop being a musician as you have had to do, like so many others that have been affected by Noise induced tinnitus.

All the best
      Michael

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/tinnitus-a-personal-view.18668/
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/hyperacusis-as-i-see-it.19174/
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/acquiring-a-positive-mindset.23969/
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/tinnitus-and-the-negative-mindset.23705/
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/the-habituation-process.20767/
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/is-positivity-important.23150/

• Agree Agree x 1
    25. Star64
      Kick ass

Star64 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      I am going to respectively disagree with you on this Michael, I know you will always warn people about headphone and earbud usage because you have noise induced tinnitus. I also believe your intention when you do this is to try and help people by giving them this warning, as it may make their hearing loss and tinnitus worse. I have previously stated I respect all the help you give others and that has not changed.

However, when you make statements that people on this site make posts about medications such as benzos, antidepressants or many other medications making tinnitus worse because they don't know any better!!! that statement is insensitive to those that are on this site due to medication induced tinnitus.

There are many people on this support forum because they have tinnitus that was caused by a medication, including the ones you have listed above.... so I think they know what they are talking about.. plus many have had there tinnitus made worse by certain medications not just headphones.

I suffered noise induced tinnitus just like you, it was low or even absent at times for a ten year period, then it become moderate for the next nine years at certain times which led me to take medication Michael, and now I have severe tinnitus. Not all medications will affect everyone the same, just like headphone usage probably wont affect others either, but given that both can cause tinnitus and hearing loss, I think people should be aware of both.

26. Harley

Harley Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      From my understanding, "catastrophic" is one level higher than "severe" in clinical terms.
      Large portion of severe sufferers are already debilitated by their Tinnitus.

The fact that this guy is not debilitated by his Tinnitus tells me, that his Tinnitus is not debilitating.

He most likely has mild to moderate Tinnitus, coupled with some kind of a superhero complex.

What do I base this on?
      I base this on my understanding, that Tinnitus has no upper limit (or a cap if you will) to how bad it can get.
      Humans have limitations (all of them, no matter how strong they sound). Tinnitus does not.

This guys Tinnitus could easily get 5x more intrusive, but if (or until) that happens, this guy can carry on with his "catastrophic" act with no major issues.

But I have witnessed what happens to these guys, once their number comes up.
      Usually it's just bunch of unarticulate horror induced jibrish, from which it becomes clear, that they had no idea this could happen.

27. Bartoli

Bartoli Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2009,worsened 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      If that's so, it doesn't help for those who are wondering why they have trouble with tinnitus. "See, this guy has it catastrophically loud yet he carries on".

We don't have anything to go by apart from the person's testimonial. I would be paralyzed by fear of making mine worse so I wouldn't be able to perform. DiMeola does but switched to acoustic guitar and seems alright.

It's so bloody hard finding a balance between over and underexposure I find. Constantly living in fear of sound is definitely not the way I want to go on.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Useful Useful x 1
    28. MattS
      Balanced

MattS Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Power Tools
      I'm not going to get too embroiled in this again, because Michael knows my opinion re his positions already, and because I am dedicated to keeping this board positive and supportive. So I'll just say this:

* The issue, Michael, is not that you are wrong. Truthfully, nobody knows if you are right or wrong, because - as you will admit - nobody can know another's tinnitus. Including you. You simply can't know some of the things you propose to know. You are not in my head. You are not in Bartoli's head. So you simply can't know.

* The way you have made it seem like you know is by using circular reasoning. In your world, an individual with catastrophic tinnitus quits everything they are doing, and an individual who quits everything due to their tinnitus has catastrophic tinnitus. They are one and the same. Inseparable. It gives no audience to the possibility that some people cope differently than others, that some people may persevere with more severe tinnitus that would befall others. The possibility cannot exist, because you have circularly *defined* catastrophic tinnitus as tinnitus that gets the best of you. This logic is a great way to "prove" your position, but is also one of the most classic ways to come to incorrect conclusions.

So the issue isn't that you are wrong; it's that your method of getting to your conclusions is flawed. That, also doesn't make you wrong - but it certainly raises the possibility.

My intention isn't to get into a back and forth with you. I don't want to argue. In fact, I think that you have a lot to give to this board, and that many of your messages are very important for new tinnitus sufferers to read. But there are a number of places where your logic is flawed. Classically flawed. And I think it's important that Tinnitus Talk members be aware of that too, so they can make the most informed decisions they can re what is best for their life, their tinnitus.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    29. Fifth Business

Fifth Business Member Podcast Patron

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Deafening applause (ppl clap loudly after reading my posts)
      meooooooow. salty.

30. Bartoli

Bartoli Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2009,worsened 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      That means piping sound into your ear via a plastic tube makes it better? I would say this only enhances certain frequencies and muffles others... There's still a diaphragm at work in the actual device. Some hearing aids go in the ear canal too. I just don't believe this makes a difference. Loudness does. When I'm eating a carrot, the sound would be very close to my eardrum because of bone conduction. I doubt it will do anything to my tinnitus.

I don't mean disrespect. It just doesn't add up. Again, I don't use headphones, but it's not like there has been studies about this, just anecdotal evidence.

• Like Like x 1