Poll: How Much Does Your Tinnitus Volume Fluctuate?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Alue, Jun 14, 2016.

?

How much does your tinnitus volume fluctuate?

1. A lot; sometimes it will go away completely and then come back with a vengeance.

2. Moderately; it never goes away, but it will fluctuate a lot in volume and intensity.

3. Slightly; it's always there, but it will go up and down depending on stress, sleep, etc.

4. Not at all; it is always the same volume no matter how I'm feeling.

Results are only viewable after voting.
    1. Alue
      No Mood

Alue Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      How much does the volume of your tinnitus fluctuate on a day to day basis?

• Like Like x 1
    2. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      For me it doesn't fluctuate so much as increasing monotonically from morning to night. I typically wake up with a softer tinnitus, which ramps up all day until it's time to go to bed, at which point it's really horrible. Usually noon is the tipping point that turns it from bearable to unbearable.
      The only consolation I have at night is that I expect it will be more "livable" by the time I wake up in the morning.

I don't know what "resets" my tinnitus, as I've noticed that when I wake up in the middle of the night, the tinnitus is sometimes screaming and at other times softer. Maybe it depends on how much REM sleep I'm getting.

• Hug Hug x 1
    3. Mario martz
      Creative

Mario martz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      i choose
      Moderately; it never goes away, but it will fluctuate a lot in volume and intensity.
      BUT
      it has gone away for a few minutes before..but mostly its there changing in volume

4. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I feel like the volume and pitch are pretty much constant, but it moves around in my awareness, sometimes seeming like more or less a boring background stimulus, and sometimes seeming like an emergent, painful siren. The volume is always quieter than the sound my fingers make if I rub them together right next to my ear, and yet paradoxically can seem overpowering, deafening at times.

Benzos cut the actual volume in half or more, though.

5. Tinniger

Tinniger Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Uncertain, now very somatic, started with noise?
      Bump.

6. Wrfortiscue
      Cowabunga

Wrfortiscue Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Trauma
      Random ups and downs all day. Lately it has been going down but night times have been bad.

• Hug Hug x 1
    7. Matchbox
      Wishful

Matchbox Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced, Prednisone (drones), Barotrauma (distortions)
      It only goes away if I almost pass out standing up or take tons of benzos/steroids.

8. T Toledo OH

T Toledo OH Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/26/20
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Likely loud noise and earbuds
      My tinnitus has gone away for up to 14 days and then returned. Every month I will have a couple of episodes where it is gone for 2-3 days and then returns.

9. Jebbis
      Dancing

Jebbis Member

Tinnitus Since:
      September 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown, I suspect stress/smoking/tmj/neck issues
      I chose "a lot" because if I really really want silence, I know I can go for a really vigorous walk or run, and I can experience a lack of my main tinnitus tone for up to 1 minute I'd say.

For the most part, though, my tinnitus tends to be the opposite of @GregCA. When I go to bed it is much quieter, almost static like, less irritating. I wake up to a more piercing and intrusive ringing. I also always wake up with my jaw clenched together, though.

10. Momma28

Momma28 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Dec 18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I got tinnitus while pregnant. It was pretty horrendous and loud 24/7 for 10 months.

Then one day it just went quiet for a few minutes and returned at 95% less volume than before. It stayed that way for over a year an half with some periods of silence and increases in volume for a few minutes.

Since having the COVID-19 vaccine, I’ve got a spike which will hopefully settle back down!

11. Poseidon65

Poseidon65 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      A loud live music show
      According to my daily log, my tinnitus fluctuates between these levels:

"Tinnitus was pretty mild again today. It didn’t distract me from work or leisure at all."

"Tinnitus was extremely annoying today. I thought about it nearly every waking moment."

I wish I understood why, or if there is anything I can do to keep it at lower levels.

• Hug Hug x 1
    12. Óscar PP
      Psychedelic

Óscar PP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Nov 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Coronavirus
      Nothing changes my tinnitus. It is the same constant annoying ringing, 24/7.

I know many people say it's easier to habituate that way but I'd give out a limb in exchange for one day a week of silence.

13. Poseidon65

Poseidon65 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      A loud live music show
      I think fluctuation does make it harder to habituate.

However, if we could choose between "always loud" and "sometimes loud, sometimes quiet," I think we would all pick the latter.

14. Psych
      Wishful

Psych Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Many moons...
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Quite a bit, at the moment. It's bearable, then super-annoying, then bearable, then super-annoying or worse. Totally over it, but it's not over me yet!

15. Jebbis
      Dancing

Jebbis Member

Tinnitus Since:
      September 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown, I suspect stress/smoking/tmj/neck issues
      If I plug my tragus with pressure, I can make my tinnitus vanish.

16. Compo

Compo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Head injury/whiplash injury
      I have tinnitus only nearly 6 weeks now but it seems to fluctuate a lot. It was barely noticeable on Sunday, then extremely annoying on Monday, a bit better Tuesday, a little worse on Wednesday and better today. Is that a sign that the tinnitus might eventually go away? I think my tinnitus is because of a neck injury/head injury.

• Hug Hug x 1
    17. ASilverLight
      In pain

ASilverLight Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably noise, stress and a neck injury.
      Mine changes with the second sometimes. What it reacts to is never ALWAYS the same thing. Sometimes the shower spikes it, sometimes it doesn't, etc. I'm trying to stop wondering and caring, I just have incredibly intrusive and reactive/fluctuating tinnitus.

That said I picked moderately because it never goes away entirely.