Poll: Occasional OTC Painkiller Experiences from Tinnitus Patients

Discussion in 'Support' started by Jack Straw, Jun 13, 2020.

?

Did occasional OTC painkiller use affect your tinnitus?

1. NSAIDs (Ibuprofen): Yes, Temporarily

2. NSAIDs (Ibuprofen): Yes, Permanently

3. NSAIDs (Ibuprofen): No

4. Acetaminophen (Tylenol): Yes, Temporarily

5. Acetaminophen (Tylenol): Yes, Permanently

6. Acetaminophen (Tylenol): No

7. I have not taken any since my tinnitus started

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
    1. Jack Straw
      Balanced

Jack Straw Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      1990s
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Infection, Acoustic Trauma
      Many people with tinnitus need to occasionally use OTC painkillers, but are worried about its effect on their tinnitus. I am hoping a small poll like this can become a general consensus for the forum regarding this topic. The majority of threads on this topic seem to have conflicting information.

Please answer the below question keeping in mind that it is meant for occasional (less than one week) use within recommended dosage. Please refrain from responding if your experience is outside of this criteria. Also, please give additional information regarding your experiences.

• Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    2. Gabriel5050
      No Mood

Gabriel5050 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure (most likely)
      Ibuprofen has been my go to all my life, so including before tinnitus. Never had any adverse effects. That's my experience.

• Like Like x 2
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jack Straw
      Balanced

Tinnitus Since:
      1990s
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thanks for posting!

4. Kriszti

Kriszti Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2016/2017/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I have suffered all my life from headaches and for about 15 years I used Ibuprofen like every other day. First time I used it after tinnitus onset, either the pill or the anxiety spiked me, but because paracetamol does nothing for my headaches, I still take Ibuprofen occasionally, when I really cannot bear the headache, and except for the first time it's been fine.

• Like Like x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jack Straw
      Balanced

Tinnitus Since:
      1990s
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I also suffer from bad headaches occasionally. I usually try to rough it out, but maybe I’ll try some OTC painkillers next time.

6. aot
      Depressed

aot Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2016. Worsened 11/2019.
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably noise induced, worsened due to noise exposur + flu
      Taken Tylenol once or twice since my worsening in November. Maybe Ibuprofen aswell, I think. No changes.

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jack Straw
      Balanced

Tinnitus Since:
      1990s
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Good to hear!

8. Nobody19

Nobody19 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Clubbing
      I've had a few periods where I took 2 Ibuprofen pills a day for about a week. Back then I only had tinnitus but it had no effect.

After getting TTTS I haven't taken any yet, only paracetamol which had no effect.

9. Lane

Lane Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Single 25 mg dose of (anticholinergic) drug Promethazine
      Just to throw in something that's probably going to strike most as something totally bizarre (coffee enemas): I've suffered very intense headaches for decades. Pain medication was a toss up as to whether it might moderately relieve some of the pain, or almost immediately send me into a "rebound" headache, where the pain became twice as bad.

I tried so many kinds of non-drug therapies, with little effect. I then discovered that coffee enemas would almost always give me literally instantaneous relief, and I could normally expect the relief to last for several hours at least. I eventually learned that coffee enemas were used in World War I by German medics out on the battlefield.

They often didn't have anesthesias available to do surgeries, and so this was a major problem. I can't vouch that this story is true, but apparently they were low on clean water one day, and couldn't give the normal pre-op enema. As a last resort, they used some left over coffee. Lo and behold, the patient was able to endure the surgery and remain relatively pain free for several hours afterwards. After this, CEs apparently became routine for pre-op enemas and post-operative pain.

I'm famililar with some of the physiological reasons why this works, with the top two apparently being coffee enemas' ability to dramatically increase the body's glutathione levels (major detoxification enzyme) by about 6 fold. Secondly, is its ability to stimulate the vagus nerve, which has a parasympathic (calming response) on the brain and nervous system. The New England Journal of Medicine also reported in 1922 that in some clinical trials, CEs were found to be very effective in treating depression.

My understanding is a normal water enema will also stimulate the vagus nerve, which is why people with heart conditions need to be aware that any enema can stimulate energy in the heart area and rapidly increase the heart rate.

• Winner Winner x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jack Straw
      Balanced

Tinnitus Since:
      1990s
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Never knew this. Very interesting.

• Like Like x 1
    11. Jazzer

Jazzer Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      1/1995
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Funny @Lane - I got in the habit of drinking mine.
      For what little good it did me I might just have well have ‘stuck it up my a**e!’

• Useful Useful x 1
    12. Deamon22

Deamon22 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Head Trauma
      Before tinnitus I used Ibuprofen rather often for headaches (with often I mean once or twice a month a dose of 400mg). Since tinnitus I use it maybe three times a year. I sometimes try Tylenol but that does not work as good for a headache as Ibuprofen.

I never noticed any difference in my tinnitus.

13. LukeYoung
      Frantic

LukeYoung Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      A loud Concert - Noise Exposure
      Taken a bunch of Ibuprofen, doesn’t have any effect on tinnitus.

• Like Like x 1
    14. ASilverLight
      In pain

ASilverLight Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably noise, stress and a neck injury.
      Originally voted haven't taken any, but recently took some Ibuprofen. Meds usually have a short lived effect on me but it actually made my tinnitus lower for a bit.

• Like Like x 1