Preventative Supplements for NIHL (Noise-Induced Hearing Loss) & Ototoxicity

Discussion in 'Alternative Treatments and Research' started by Jack Straw, Oct 19, 2018.

1. Jack Straw
      Balanced

Jack Straw Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      1990s
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Infection, Acoustic Trauma
      As we all know, we randomly get exposed to different noises and potential ototoxic chemicals in our lives. We always get hit with an event such as this and then scramble to do whatever we can to minimize the effect and damage of it. I was doing some research on some preventative measures that can be done for NIHL and Ototoxicity and came across some interesting information.

Let me just say that I understand that we can avoid NIHL with ear plugs and staying away from loud places. Same goes for avoiding ototoxic chemicals by just not taking them, but realistically shit happens and we can't always avoid these things. Sometimes they randomly occur and we have no possible way of avoiding them.

In my research I found that once the event for auditory damage has occurred, preventative supplements taken after the fact don't work as effectively as if they had been taken before the event. This is because these supplements need to build up in our system so they are readily available to be used when something happens.

Here are some studies / quick information on different vitamins, minerals and supplements. All of them touch on the fact that these supplements need to be taken before the event occurs to be effective. Since it is impossible to know when something random will happen, it would be best to just take them everyday.

https://www.lifeextension.com/Protocols/Eye-Ear/Tinnitus/Page-07

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28826625

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1347861317301093

I included two studies on curcumin because it has been shown to be a one two punch when it comes to both NIHL and ototoxicity. Also, the first link states that the more supplements you take that have protective properties, the more likely they will have a compounding effect on each other. This means that someone taking vitamin C and E potentially will have more protection against a damaging sound than someone who only takes vitamin C.

Another important thing to keep in mind is that certain mineral, vitamins and supplements need to be absorbed into the body properly to gain the full benefit and effect. A good example of this is magnesium. Magnesium oxide is what you will find in most multi-vitamins and store brands. This is because it is very cheap, but not very effective. Oxide isn't very bio-available when taken, which means that your body isn't absorbing the magnesium as well in this form versus other forms such as magnesium citrate. So if you are looking to get these supplements please make sure your getting a kind that will actually be absorbed into your body and not just excreted. Additionally, please talk to your doctor before taking any supplements to make sure they are safe for you to take!

Remember, this DOES NOT mean that you can take these supplements and partake in dangerous levels of noise again without repercussion. There is no alternative better than ear plugs and ear muffs if you have to expose yourself to dangerous levels of sound. These supplements should be used as a secondary preventative measure for our daily lives when we come in contact with those random noises that could potentially damage our hearing further.

I hope this can help some of you who want to have a second line of defense when it comes to NIHL and ototoxicity. If you have more information about these topics please post below so we can all be more educated about it!

All the best,

Jack

• Like Like x 3
      • Informative Informative x 2
    2. Lane

Lane Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Single 25 mg dose of (anticholinergic) drug Promethazine
      Hi @Jack Straw,

I like the way you think about prevention. -- You may find the below-linked thread interesting. Sodium Thiosulfate is apparently being used for people getting chemotherapy to dramatically reduce the incidence of chemotherapy-induced tinnitus. Seems like it would likely work with other ototoxic situations as well.

Sodium Thiosulfate — "May" Help w/ Hearing Loss and/or Tinnitus

• Informative Informative x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jack Straw
      Balanced

Tinnitus Since:
      1990s
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I did not know about this. Thank you for posting it! Going to look into it.

• Like Like x 2
    4. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      • Like Like x 2
    5. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      p.s. I had been taking Acetyl-L-Carnitine for many months. Eventually I began suspecting that it was causing my T to be more high pitch. If you decide to take it, see if you also notice this particular pattern...

p.p.s. I have been taking Magnesium, NAC, Meltonin (very small doses), Zinc, Omega 3, Vitamins C and E. I also noticed that it takes a louder noise (compared to what it took before) to give me spikes. Who knows, perhaps one of those substances ended up being effective. Just make sure not to exceed the recommended daily dosage of NAC (1200).

• Agree Agree x 2
    6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jack Straw
      Balanced

Tinnitus Since:
      1990s
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Take a look at curcumin too. Many users on here have noticed a change in their T when taking it. Some people reported a decrease in their Ts intensity, others like @JohnAdams reported that his T would disappear occasionally while taking high doses. Its similar to NAC in the sense that it is a strong antioxidant but also has anti inflamitory properties.

• Like Like x 1
      • Useful Useful x 1
    7. PolishSoldier87
      Moonlighting

PolishSoldier87 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acustic trauma, neuro-lyme/rx co-op toxins
      • Like Like x 1
    8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jack Straw
      Balanced

Tinnitus Since:
      1990s
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      • Agree Agree x 1
    9. vttbx

vttbx Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2001
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      Great post Jack! I ordered my Theracurmin today. Protection is very important to me as I'm around sound daily. I've been taken NAC for about eight years. I don't think it has helped much as I'm still prone to spikes. I may try this sustain released NAC I found recently:
      http://www.jarrow.com/product/323/N-A-C_Sustain

I also take ALCAR but I found it can give me insomnia even when I take it in the morning.

There is one protection supplement that doesn't get much talk on this forum: D-methionine. The clinical trial made it to phase three before running out of money.

https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT02903355

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21924333

https://hearinghealthmatters.org/he...ug-study-for-noise-induced-hearing-loss-cure/

https://www.entandaudiologynews.com...eatures/post/what-s-new-in-protecting-hearing

Unfortunately, D-Meth isn't for sale. I take L-Methionine but Dr. Cambell told me it's not as effective as D-Met. I figured it can't hurt.

10. PolishSoldier87
      Moonlighting

PolishSoldier87 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acustic trauma, neuro-lyme/rx co-op toxins
      • Informative Informative x 3
    11. Teddy Westside

Teddy Westside Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2011, Recent Spike 08/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Earwax Removal (Onset), Noise/Ototoxicity (Spike)
      @Jack Straw @Bill Bauer @vttbx Any particular brands of the these supplements that you all would recommend? I'm looking into ordering but I don't feel informed enough to know what's best.

12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jack Straw
      Balanced

Tinnitus Since:
      1990s
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      It kinda depends on which supplement you are getting. Overall I think Pure brand is good and trustworthy. I suggest doing a quick search to see what you think is best for what your looking for.

• Like Like x 2
    13. Teddy Westside

Teddy Westside Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2011, Recent Spike 08/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Earwax Removal (Onset), Noise/Ototoxicity (Spike)
      At the moment I'm looking into NAC, Curcumin, and Lipoic Acid. If there are others you would recommend based on your experience, feel free to suggest.

• Like Like x 2
    14. IAmCalifornia
      Wishful

IAmCalifornia Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      this year
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      i wish i knew
      Very helpful thread!

• Like Like x 1
    15. IAmCalifornia
      Wishful

Tinnitus Since:
      this year
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      i wish i knew
      I know supplements will probably not reduce my tinnitus, but I am looking to be proactive in protecting my hearing.

Currently, I'm taking a basic men's multivitamin (Centrum), and as detected in a blood test, I am severely deficient in Vitamin D, so I take 3000 units a day as prescribed by my doctor. I used to take Magnesium Citrate but that would wake me up in the middle of night; the second I stopped taking it, my sleep returned to normal. I was thinking of giving Glycinate a shot instead, and trying curcumin pills.

Anything else anyone recommends on top of my stack?

• Agree Agree x 1
    16. Kste Adams
      Studious

Kste Adams Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      TMD, Noise?
      Take a look at nicotinamide riboside (NR), which is a form of vitamin B3. It has been shown to prevent noise induced hearing loss in mice.

I started taking it last summer because I had complete loss of a small range of frequencies in one ear (result of a car backfiring). I'm now able to hear those frequencies again, although I still need to point my ear in the direction of the sound. Pretty amazing stuff: it has also dramatically reduced the number of migraines with aura, cleared up pre-cancerous skin lesions, reduced arthritis pain in my knees and feet, and generally made me feel more alert and energetic. It is classified as GRAS (generally recognized as safe) by the US FDA, and you can buy it from Amazon or order it directly from the company that makes it (ChromaDex, sold under the brand name of TruNiagen).

• Like Like x 3
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    17. Zeneth
      Wishful

Zeneth Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Maybe noise?
      Do you think that'd be safe for a young person to try? I read that NAD goes down as you age but I'm only 15. I'm willing to try anything that could prevent my tinnitus from getting even worse, but I don't want to cause myself anymore problems.

18. vttbx

vttbx Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2001
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      You're too young. Don't take NR.

• Like Like x 1
    19. IAmCalifornia
      Wishful

Tinnitus Since:
      this year
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      i wish i knew
      How old should one be?

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    20. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jack Straw
      Balanced

Tinnitus Since:
      1990s
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Does this have side effects which is why your saying this?

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    21. vttbx

vttbx Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2001
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      Older than 15. :) Maybe wait at least wait until you are fully grown would be a good start.

• Like Like x 1
    22. vttbx

vttbx Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2001
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      I'm not sure if my side effects are NR related but I've stopped taking it as of last week. I started it in July 2018 and most of the time took below the recommended dosage (125mg x2 daily). My biggest concern is how much my hair has thinned. It could be just a middle age issue. Regardless, after a bad noise incident in July, it has been a game changer for my T. I'm sure I'll cycle back on at some point.

23. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jack Straw
      Balanced

Tinnitus Since:
      1990s
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Interesting. What is the full name of NR?

24. IAmCalifornia
      Wishful

Tinnitus Since:
      this year
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      i wish i knew
      I'm in my 30s

25. Kste Adams
      Studious

Kste Adams Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since: