Punched in Ear. Will My Tinnitus Go Away?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by ZachB, Feb 5, 2019.

1. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      ZachB

ZachB Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Is anyone’s T louder than an air conditioner? I can’t believe some medications made my tinnitus this bad

Hopefully temporarily, I can’t do this

2. Drone Draper
      Jaded

Drone Draper Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      NIHL, ETD and work stress
      There are people on here who describe 90db drills and similar sounds.

But loudness of tinnitus does not have a 1-to-1 correlation to how severe the suffering is. In other words, you can have two people with the exact same tinnitus sound and pitch, one person thinks of it as mild, one as severe.

Don't think about measuring your tinnitus right now, it's not conducive to your betterment.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      ZachB

ZachB Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Can my tinnitus go away like the ENT said? I guess I’ll only know in a few months.

It has to fade. I can’t live my life with this noise constantly there and spiking so often.

I can’t believe I am so young and need to suffer with this potentially forever

4. Drone Draper
      Jaded

Drone Draper Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Yes, it can! Read all the success stories I sent you. There's also so many cases of habituation.

I have a friend with loud, intrusive tinnitus who isn't bothered one iota. I also have a few friends with milder tinnitus who don't make a big song and dance. My brother has mild tinnitus in one ear from being a professional musician and he doesn't care. I think you and I are both probably people who are more likely to be able to habituate to mild T, let's hope that's where we end up.

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      ZachB

ZachB Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      What about the tinnitus going away completely ?

6. Drone Draper
      Jaded

Drone Draper Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Look at the success stories I sent you in PM. It does happen!

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      ZachB

ZachB Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Yeah. I really hope this is currently just a spike and not permanent from the medication it’s horrifying

• Hug Hug x 1
    8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      ZachB

ZachB Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I don’t think my T is mild anymore if this isn’t just a spike. Quiet public place 65 DB and my ears are hurting ringing really loudly and badly. Does this ever fade and stop? Am I always gonna be this sensitive to sound? Is this just a spike from my medication?

I’m so scared

9. Drone Draper
      Jaded

Drone Draper Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I told you not to measure it, lol. You are not an audiologist and are probably not matching it correctly.

Like I said, many people here have been sensitive to sound and have had the sensitivity fade.

10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      ZachB

ZachB Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I have an app that measures DB. It’s like sirens it’s so loud I don’t know how I’ll survive this for another 50+ years

11. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      The idea is not to use masking to stop hearing T. The idea is to give yourself something else to listen to, besides T. Cricket sounds work well for high-pitch tone T. At first you will still be focusing on your T. Hopefully after 15 minutes you will be able to mostly focus on the sounds of the crickets...

• Agree Agree x 1
    12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      ZachB

ZachB Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      My T is so severe the loud ringing flares up even in my apartment and stays and switches from sirens to other things. Louder then the sink louder than the fridge louder than almost anything. I think the blow to my ear messed something up so badly that I am now cursed permanently with this horrific sounds

It’s not T, it’s worse than death. I can’t ever function again the ringing is so loud and uncontrollable

• Hug Hug x 1
    13. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      After the onset, I could hear my T over the sound of a car on a highway... I played nature sounds at the highest possible volume, and I could still hear T over it. Like I said, the idea is not to play masking sounds so loud that you can no longer hear T, the idea is to give yourself something else to listen to, in addition to listening to T.

• Agree Agree x 1
    14. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      ZachB

ZachB Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      How the hell did my T go from just hearing it on my pillow to this in 4 weeks? Will this ever be livable?

If it stays this loud at this pitch I don’t think I can work or do anything ever and it’s torture

I put my ear on the pillow either one and hear static

In public my ears ring so loud it’s coming from my head and it’s louder than everything around me even if I’m perfectly calm

If mine is this bad at 6-7 weeks will it ever go away or has that ship sailed? Will it get back to only hear it in a quiet room and it’s a soft hiss ?

15. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Don't think about the long term. Focus on surviving until the end of the day... In two years you will hopefully feel a lot better (either due to fading or some habituation), but even in the best case scenario you will still need to live through many bad days...
      Static is a big improvement over a high pitch tone. Hopefully in a month or two it will change to a hiss (first a high-pitch one, and then a more bearable one).

• Agree Agree x 1
    16. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      ZachB

ZachB Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      It’s usually high pitched. Very. Piercing. At this point am I a lost hope for quiet rooms only and for this ever going away?

2 years to cope with this? And avoiding pretty much all social environments? 2 years for this to fade a lot??

I can’t do my professional obligations with this or go back to school it’s too much it’s terrifying I may eventually be homeless due to this

17. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Not at all (although that ototoxic medication that you had taken really worries me). What matters is the monthly trend and the global lows. It is normal to have huge spikes on some days. Hopefully in a couple of months the average level of your T will be somewhat quieter than it is now, and that by that time the quietest T that month will be quieter than the quietest T during the previous month. As long as you experience those things, you don't need to worry about what might happen on any given day.
      What kind of work do you do?

18. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      What happened with the guy who attacked you? Was he arrested, or did he just walk away?

19. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      ZachB

ZachB Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Let’s just say I am in quiet room all the time nearly everyday reading. I can’t do that I can’t concentrate or do anything

I really hope the ototoxic meds effects aren’t permanent. TMS warned me it could make things worse and they weren’t specialized in it so I’ll probably skip that.

I feel like my life is over and I’m in my 20s. Right now it’s so loud I wouldn’t survive a year of this.

I hear it in my head then also something different when I put my ear on my pillow. My ears were ringing super loud uncontrollably for hours after being in a public place.

Will I always hear this high pitch thing or can it be relatively mild by August?

Is there no hope for mine going away completely now, does what the ENT say not apply to me after this?

Last edited: Feb 16, 2019
    20. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      ZachB

ZachB Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Walked away didn’t find him

• Hug Hug x 1
    21. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      How long of a sick leave can you have? If you quit your job, how long will it take for you to find a new job in your field, when you are ready to go back to work?

At least your job doesn't involve noise. One person here (about a year ago) had a landscaping business that involved power tools and a wood chipper. Others drive loud trucks...

I know exactly how you feel. I've been there. It gets better for many people... Also there are those potential cures that will be introduced soon. Two years ago, when I got T, that wasn't the case. It is my understanding that Neuromod's device works better the louder one's T is.
      You might consider protecting your ears against all noises that, in your experience, spike your T. But of course, please don't overdo it.
      It might switch to a hiss over the next 2-5 months.
      Don't say that and don't think that. Right now there is still hope. If it stays at the same level for over six months, then the probability that it will improve will be lower at that point. If you notice it improving (global low starts getting quieter and quieter), the probability will become greater.

Tell yourself that you will assume that it is temporary but that the next several months will not be fun and you will do what you can to ride it out.

• Hug Hug x 1
    22. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Good night.

23. Drone Draper
      Jaded

Drone Draper Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hope you are doing better today, Zach.:huganimation:

• Agree Agree x 1
    24. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      ZachB

ZachB Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Not really. Still getting 1-2 hours of sleep per night.

Is there any hope my T will go away completely like the ENT said?

Ototoxic effects I should know in a few weeks if this increase is permanent...

25. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      ZachB

ZachB Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I’ve lost hope. From high pitch sound to now new tones including cricket sound and alarms. Spikes randomly or when someone speaks medium voice, it’s hurting my ear drums and is louder than the sink. Plus high high high pitch screeching sound in there too.

I officially have extreme tinnitus and my ears are like jet engines when I press on my ear drum. Pulsating too. Ears constantly popping

Sometimes during the day when it’s quiet at home I’m able to put my ear on the pillow and it’s not horrible

Do I have any hope of returning to low baseline level or did this ototoxic stuff ruin my life forever? I can’t fodus enough to read a book even and slept 1-2 hours a night with sleeping pills before this

26. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      There's hope, but you will need to wait for months before finding out just how much hope...

27. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      ZachB

ZachB Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      So all this could just be the ototoxic stuff that will wear off? Was yours ever this bad?

Will it for sure fade a lot and stop spiking so high pitched and loud? Will my sleep ever be normal again?

How do people LIVE and WORK and enjoy life with bad T with different pitches and spikes?

I may have hypercausis or it’s just ringing so Loud it hurt my ears

I feel incapacitated and nearly brought myself to the ER for this but they can’t do much

I fear what happens if I get 1-2 hours sleep for weeks

Is my T considered severe or is this pretty normal for the beginning <kinda beginning cause of the meds>

28. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      It is likely due to that ototoxic exposure.
      There is a chance that it will. If it begins fading within a month or two, the chance that it will continue to fade will be pretty high. So you will need to wait for several months before you can get a better idea of what will happen in the long run.

No matter what happens, after about 18-24 months you will be able to bear it better than you can now.
      Hopefully eventually you will be able to start sleeping again. The more sleep deprived you are, the easier it is to fall asleep (holding T level constant)...

29. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      ZachB

ZachB Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Will the ototoxic spike go away? This isn’t a baseline right? This is impossible to live with this level of T is so loud and piercing I can’t imagine anything but constant misery and torture literally every second if it stays this way

• Hug Hug x 2
    30. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I don't know much about the likely prognosis for T caused by an ototoxic medication. I remember reading posts both by the people whose T as a result of taking ototoxic medication hasn't gone away And by the people whose T began fading several weeks after they discontinued their ototoxic medication. You might consider searching this forum for posts by people who had a bad reaction to the drugs that you took. You could then contact them asking them to let you know what happened to them during the first year after the onset...
      Two years after the onset, some people with debilitatingly loud T have reported not having as strong of an emotional reaction as before upon waking up and hearing T...