Put a Spotlight on Tinnitus Research

Discussion in 'Research News' started by Tinnitus Talk, Sep 18, 2016.

1. Mic
      Buzzed

Mic Member

Tinnitus Since:
      -
      No... not yet... but with our help some day they will... and with them we will...

• Agree Agree x 4
      • Like Like x 3
    2. Steve
      Creative

Steve Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Flu, Noise-induced, Jaw trauma
      A personal message from Prof. Dr. Berthold Langguth (a neurologist at the University Hospital of Regensburg, and the chairman of the Tinnitus Research Initiative):

langguth.jpg 500 years of reformation

Would Martin Luther have better treatment options for his tinnitus nowadays?

Today it is the five centenary of the day, when Martin Luther published his Ninety-Five Theses on the Power and Efficacy of Indulgences, which was later dated as the reformation day. The theses debated and criticised the Church and the papacy, but concentrated upon the selling of indulgences and doctrinal policies about purgatory, particular judgment and the authority of the pope.

What is less known about Martin Luther is the fact that he suffered from severe tinnitus. In his own words he wrote: "When I try to work, my head becomes filled with all sorts of whizzing, buzzing, thundering noises." The pain became so severe that in his late life he hired a strong man or even two to prevent him from physically hurting someone or even himself during very painful bouts of tinnitus.

When we consider how much changes mankind witnessed in the last 500 years, it is almost completely incomprehensible, that nowadays many people still suffer similarly from tinnitus like Martin Luther did 500 years ago.

But even if treatment options haven’t changed so much there is a difference between 1517 and 2017: we are now able to tackle the problem by a systematic scientific approach. Whereas Luther perceived the tinnitus bouts as satanic punches, we are now able to classify them as alterations of neuronal activity. With this knowledge it is only a matter of time and effort till we will be able to have better therapeutic means available. And in the quest for these treatments we might be able to learn from Martin Luther.

He was a well trained scholar, but this did not prevent him from rebelling against established structures. This mixture of excellent science together with innovative approaches and thinking out of the box has been introduced in tinnitus research by the Tinnitus Research Initiative and has now deeply infiltrated the tinnitus field.

The diversity and the creativity of the Research Topic “Towards a Better Understanding of Tinnitus Heterogeneity” is just an example.

In order to support this approach, please visit the research topic and browse through all the different articles.

Best,

Berthold

• Like Like x 16
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    3. Zwraven

Zwraven Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Viral Auditory Nerve Damage
      This would all be much more helpful if tinnitus didn't have so many mechanisms of action.

By that I mean it can both start and be perceived in many different locations and caused by many things. (i.e. sounds in the ear, sound in the head, unilateral, bilateral, buzz sound, whoosh sound etc., caused by nerve damage, sound exposure, drugs etc.)

Tinnitus is much like cancer, no two people are exactly the same and with that like cancer no one treatment works for everyone. Not being pessimistic, just don't think it can be nailed down.

• Agree Agree x 5
      • Like Like x 1
    4. 400runner
      Thinking

400runner Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Anti inflammatory medication
      Thank you for this article. It helps me to know that a prominent person 500 years ago suffered as much as I do.

I'm at work today and there is excavation on a site next door. They will be drilling down over six months to create a 6 storey underground car park.

The combination of the drilling (two at once into the bedrock) and my tinnitus makes it very difficult to work.

Sending kind thoughts to everyone dealing with background noise on top of our tinnitus.

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Like Like x 2
    5. Zok

Zok Member

Tinnitus Since:
      not sure, likely 10+years
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      don't know maybe loud sounds
      It is the same as 500 years ago.

He can't say there will be better methods, because now no method exist.

• Agree Agree x 4
    6. DRP

DRP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Interesting and fascinating point about Luther and tinnitus, but there are more than a few RC's who have researched his life and theology and who would take serious issue. That he boldly addressed abuses initially is outside-the-box thinking, but the tale of the tape reveals a severely problematic follow up. Do the research.

7. Harvest King
      Studious

Harvest King Member

Tinnitus Since:
      That's not a very optimistic view.

Let's put it this way. Tinnitus has many causes i.e. conditions albeit many only temporary that trigger tinnitus but the mechanism is the same. The temporary cause or condition can be rectified but the mechanism persists.

However the mechanism has a number of parts and at least one has little to do with the original cause. Identifying these is the first step.

I'll continue later . . . . . . . .

• Like Like x 1
    8. threefirefour
      Peeping tom

threefirefour Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      5/15/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      140dB B R U H moment
      Of course he wouldn't. Sure we know more about it, but there's just absolutely nothing for it. I guess we know WHY we're suffering, but not how to stop it.

Although watching Martin Luther beat some modern tinnitus "therapist"s ass for telling him to "get used to it" would be pretty funny.

• Funny Funny x 2
      • Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    9. Steve
      Creative

Steve Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Flu, Noise-induced, Jaw trauma
      Understanding the why is a hugely important step in figuring out what treatments will work and how they may work. Without a full knowledge of the mechanisms we cannot progress.

I think back to when I got tinnitus. 2003 isn't a lifetime away but in terms of the level of understanding and scientific rigour that has been applied since then it feels like it.

We have made a staggering progress and a huge part of that has come following the formation of the Tinnitus Research Initiative.

For those new to tinnitus I can understand the frustration that there is no cure. But you really should take stock of the position we are in now. I have traversed from a relatively isolated person with tinnitus who saw little help or understanding, to someone who is genuinely humbled by the level of interaction and progress of the scientific community.

• Like Like x 16
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 5
      • Winner Winner x 1
    10. Joe Zaffiro

Joe Zaffiro Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2014
      Well. As much as it sucks having this, I've concluded that at least it is not painful, annoying as hell and distracting at times, but not painful, and mine is loud. I doubt a cure will be found, too many variables with this. It is comforting to know that you are not alone. Unfortunately, millions deal with the same thing.

• Agree Agree x 2
    11. mjs 89
      Frustrated

mjs 89 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      1st noticed in '88, really bad since Xanax >8 yrs ago?
      I wonder how much Martin Luther spent on indulgences, believing they would cure or ease his tinnitus. This explains his motivation for publishing the Theses! So, if the Protestant Reformation began even in part because of tinnitus, what else could a cure solve? War on Terror? Partisan politics? Global warming?!
      OK, maybe not global warming, but think of it - if tinnitus is so frequently the root of insomnia and distraction, so many other afflictions will be eased. Kind of like a simple bulging disc causing pain and numbness from head to toe. Let’s get it done!

I am confident a “cure” will be found, but it will require a different way of thinking - fourth dimensional, so to speak - where instantaneous measurements of physiology give way to identification, analysis and prediction of system interactions, with a healthy dose of chaos-theory based math - like meterology is doing with weather prediction - but far more intense. We have to learn how the brain learns and stores detailed information - not the ability to find a specific image or memory, but involuntary stimulus-response imprints. Do we even know what “normal” is? Do we know for certain that people WITHOUT tinnitus are truly capable of “hearing” silence? Or are those people exceptionally rare? Once tinnitus is recognized by the individual, does it actually have anything to do with hearing?

“Doc, insomnia is causing me eye pain.”
      - “When did it start?”
      “This morning, while drinking coffee.”
      - “Take the spoon out of your cup.”

Please let it be this simple.

Not long ago, we bled patients to treat many afflictions. Antibiotics only appeared around WWII. Now, we’re using holographic imagery to plan and simulate complex surgery, implanting devices to allow the deaf to hear, and more. Unfortunately, we also now have many industries and professionals who would suffer if we cured things like cancer, mental illness... tinnitus... The obstacles are not always the limits of our abilities.

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Genius Genius x 1
    12. Mic
      Buzzed

Mic Member

Tinnitus Since:
      -
      Please stop spreading BS from depressed feelings without any factional arguments (referencing to WW2... yeah right).

This is the chart on PubMed showing the number of research papers since 1979:
      SmartSelectImage_2017-11-01-18-57-29.png

And this is the same chart projected on an exponential curve:
      7edbd1ab380efb207cf72aa25850838ef6c05824.jpg

Do I need to say more... a cure will be found... be patient!

P.S.: Please don't react to this post if you don't know what exponential growth is.

• Like Like x 6
      • Agree Agree x 4
      • Genius Genius x 1
    13. Zok

Zok Member

Tinnitus Since:
      not sure, likely 10+years
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      don't know maybe loud sounds
      Well for tinnitus this is not the reason. As I think not much money is made from selling the cure for tinnitus because there is no cure. And just a few treatment options available and most treatments are just stupid.

But maybe with stem cells, but first there would be cure for deafness and only after that for tinnitus. So not for another 20 years or so.

14. threefirefour
      Peeping tom

threefirefour Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      5/15/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      140dB B R U H moment
      You're probably completely right.

15. acufenero
      Starving

acufenero Member

Tinnitus Since:
      August 2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Sometimes I truly think guys like these really don't deserve any kind of cure or even some relief. Truly. They're not only spreading their bullshit like there's no tomorrow, but trying to make people feel as shitty as they are, too.

Don't excuse them by saying they're depressed or they don't know the research. They don't give a fuck. They're simply bad people wishing the worst for the rest of us so we can all share their miserable life.

They feel better the worse we get. That's their cure.

16. grate_biff
      In pain

grate_biff Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma using headphones
      Is it the "boner" of growth?

• Funny Funny x 2
      • Like Like x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    17. Markku
      Inspired

Markku Founder Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      Thanks everyone!

One observation I do have and it's that the groups of people and doubters who often seem to be vocal - on a discussion board out of all things - about what they are convinced of are the issues with the current state of research or awareness and prospects of a future cure or effective treatments, pretty much never try to do anything to change things, or even attempt to be part of any positive angle, to the contrary, it can almost feel as if they would rather everyone threw in the towel and accepted defeat... Rarely do you even see them giving a like on social media. Sometimes they do have lots of ideas though; should do this, should do that, morons not seeing or attempting this or that, but hey my PhD in arm chair criticism allows me to competently and objectively state these things as facts, however when push comes to shove... when it would be time to practice what you preach, suddenly it's quiet.

I for one am very glad these folks aren't actually responsible for advocating for the patient community's benefit, let alone playing any kind of part in current and future research.

So, as you can imagine, the potential "return on investment" in relation to time and effort spent trying to reason with the naysayers is not really there and hence, as a rule of thumb, it's better to direct the focus and efforts where optimism, encouragement and continued improvement are the daily drivers. These are all found, for example, in the work of Tinnitus Research Initiative, and now the research topic on tinnitus. I and @Steve have first hand been able to see how people like Winfried Schlee (scientific coordinator of TRI) and Berthold Langguth (chairman of TRI) attack tinnitus on a positive, yet persistent force. The drive to push for more and better research and more awareness is palpable. I have often exchanged messages when it's middle of the night, and gotten instant responses - many of our collaborations are the fruit of some seriously whacked hours. Seriously, quite a few of the naysayers would be surprised how many researchers respond outside of office hours, even during their holidays, and how dedicated they are to what they are doing. These are the people you want to surround yourself with.

"In order to succeed, we must first believe we can." —Nikos Kazantzakis

• Like Like x 23
      • Winner Winner x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    18. Zug
      Woot

Zug Member Benefactor

I just wanted to say congratulations to @Markku and @Steve and everyone on Tinnitus Talk who's working to make a difference.

Even if you don't want to be very active, you can always do something. Donate some money to Tinnitus Talk, TRI or even ATA, spread the word, etc. Anything is better than becoming a "PhD in armchair criticism".

Best to you all,
      Zug

• Like Like x 6
      • Agree Agree x 2
    19. Markku
      Inspired

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      We have just received word that the research topic on tinnitus has been shortlisted for consideration as one of the ten finalists.

The shortlisted research topics are (in no particular order):
      • Towards an Understanding of Tinnitus Heterogeneity
      • Cognitive and Brain Plasticity Induced by Physical Exercise, Cognitive Training, Video Games and Combined Interventions
      • Computers and games for mental health and well-being
      • Vestibular Contributions to Health and Disease
      • The Gut Microbiome in Health and Disease
      • Optimizing the delivery of multiple ecosystem goods and services in agricultural systems
      • Students at Risk of School Failure
      • Deep Carbon in Earth: Early Career Scientist Contributions to the Deep Carbon Observatory
      • Precision Public Health
      • Affective and Social Signals for HRI
      • Mega Quakes: Cascading Earthquake Hazards and Compounding Risks

• Like Like x 6
      • Winner Winner x 1
    20. Markku
      Inspired

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      The best new research: Finalists announced for the 2018 Frontiers Spotlight Award
      2018-spotlight-finalists-announcement-image.png
      From more than 400 outstanding article collections published in 2017, 10 finalists are now in the running for the 2nd annual Frontiers Spotlight Award – and the chance to win US $100,000 to organize an international conference on their topic’s field.

Published as Frontiers Research Topics, these shortlisted article collections each address a globally important field of research with the potential to drastically impact our future — from artificial intelligence to better health to sustainable agriculture. They bring together the latest, cutting-edge research to advance their fields, present new solutions – including to address the UN’s Sustainable Development Goals – and foster essential, large-scale collaborations across multiple disciplines and research groups worldwide.

Which one will be judged as the most important research set to shape our future? We are very proud to introduce this year’s Spotlight finalists … and stay tuned for the winner announcement later this year!

READ THE FULL ARTICLE ON FRONTIERS' BLOG

The winner will likely be announced in September/October.

We live in exciting times - if tinnitus wins the award, then there will be a conference in Switzerland next year, bringing together a vast number of tinnitus researchers across the globe.

Of course being in the top 10 is already a significant achievement and brings good publicity - winning the award would be nothing short of amazing in terms of increased awareness for tinnitus research.

• Winner Winner x 8
      • Like Like x 3
    21. Deamon22

Deamon22 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Head Trauma
      Awesome. Could the Tinnitus Talk community do something to help? I‘ll read the papers tonight.

• Agree Agree x 2
    22. IvanRus

IvanRus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ototoxicity
      @Markku,

How can we help, so that tinnitus researchers and hearing treatments collect all possible victories?

• Good Question Good Question x 2
    23. Markku
      Inspired

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      I suppose there's not a whole lot you can do at this point.

The campaigning time lasted for well over a year. Now that the submissions have closed and the top 10 research topics have been shortlisted based on numerous factors (academic excellence, Frontiers' article and author-level impact metrics, Altmetric score, interdisciplinary reach, international reach, subject novelty), it's all about waiting for what the Jury of the Frontiers' Editorial Board members decides (they select the winning topic from the 10 shortlisted ones, this announcement is expected in Sep/Oct).

During the campaigning time, the tinnitus community was able to boost the impact metrics for the topic and articles by visiting the topic and reading and sharing the articles, etc.

Of course you can still do that, it won't hurt the cause. And you might pick up some new knowledge in the process, too.

But thanks for asking - wish more tinnitus sufferers were as eager to help. Surely there will be other projects / campaigns in the future that you can help with.

• Like Like x 3
      • Winner Winner x 1
    24. IvanRus

IvanRus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ototoxicity
      I hope this will not be necessary.

And all effective discoveries / studies will be carried out in the near future.

25. Deamon22

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Head Trauma
      They should announce the winner shortly. Damn, it would be awesome if tinnitus would win this thing...

I just looked through all the finalists, the research topic for tinnitus has incredible 2.2 million views? None of the other finalists come even close...

So that should give it a great chance to win? Am I missing something?

• Optimistic Optimistic x 3
      • Agree Agree x 1
    26. Markku
      Inspired

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      frontiers-spotlight.png
      spotlight-award-tinnitus.png

Unmasking phantom sounds

The 2018 Spotlight finalist Towards an Understanding of Tinnitus Heterogeneity explores the diversity of tinnitus sufferers and their circumstances, with an equally diverse approach to research and treatment. In all, 78 articles were contributed by 331 researchers from across the medical sciences — geneticists, neuroscientists and pharmacologists — as well as clinicians and even software engineers and data scientists.

These articles have already received more than two million views, 27,000 article downloads and 3,600 shares on social media: an emphatic reflection of the enormous interest in, and relevance of, this research.

Dr Christopher Cederroth and Dr Winfried Schlee explain why they and fellow members of the Tinnitus Research Initiative (TRI) and the EU-funded TINNET project launched this Research Topic, some of its outcomes, and what winning the 2018 Frontiers Spotlight Award would mean for the field and for patients.

Spotlight Finalist 2018: Unmasking phantom sounds

Read the full update here:
      https://spotlight.frontiersin.org/neuroscience-tinnitus

• Like Like x 4
      • Winner Winner x 4
    27. Autumnly
      Wishful

Autumnly Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise-induced
      Article collection on the vestibular system wins Frontiers European research prize
      spotlight-2018-winner-banner.png

Research Topic showcasing effective new treatments for common health disorders wins this year’s Spotlight Award, with second and third place awarded to collections on tinnitus and megaquakes.

An outstanding research collection on the vestibular system — the inner ear organ responsible for balance and orientation — is the winner of the 2018 Frontiers Spotlight Award.

Vestibular Contributions to Health and Disease gives new hope to millions of people suffering from dizziness, vertigo and fainting. Edited by Dr Bernard Cohen, Dr Richard Lewis and Dr Jose Antonio Lopez-Escamez, the research collection brings together powerful new methods for the diagnosis and treatment of these common disorders. This includes the first-ever effective treatment for Mal de Debarquement Syndrome, where people continue to feel off-balance long after a boat, plane or lengthy car journey.

“The burden of vestibular disorders is growing, especially in aging populations,” says Dr Cohen. “But at present, most physicians have very limited ability to diagnose and treat such disorders — and may not even be aware of some of them.”

“Patients suffering from vestibular disorders deserve access to better diagnoses and new therapies,” adds Dr Lopez-Escamez. “Winning the Spotlight Award is an opportunity to raise awareness of the impact of these disorders and to attract new researchers to this topic.”​

(At least people are paying more attention to the inner ear? :dunno:)

• Like Like x 4
    28. Deamon22

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Head Trauma
      Well, I mean, like @Autumnly said, at least it has something to do with the ear... :rolleyes: Although a shame that tinnitus didn't win.

• Agree Agree x 4
    29. attheedgeofscience
      No Mood

attheedgeofscience Member Podcast Patron Mighty Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Resolved since 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown (medication, head injury)
      Given the low-view count, the non-existent social media virality, the modest number of articles, as well as the almost absent altmetric score, it is hard to understand how this year's research topic took the prize. There were people in the background campaigning very hard for the "tinnitus heterogeneity" item to succeed. If I had had severe tinnitus on top of all this, I would have felt very defeated some two years down-the-road. Instead, it feels mostly like a distant memory.

On a slight side-note, one has to wonder if the tinnitus community is cursed:
      • The Danny Boy campaign will probably go down in the history books as the worst performing GoFundMe campaign ever (when considering re-shares vs. funds raised).
      • The ATA got heavily criticized for not supporting its chronic member base earlier this weekend.
      • And now the Frontiers Research Topic didn't win even though it was leading in pretty much every way.
      How much worse can it get...???

• Agree Agree x 6
      • Like Like x 1
    30. JohnAdams
      Festive

JohnAdams Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Aspirin Toxicity/Possibly Noise
      Yeah. We are. You'd think the high prevalence of tinnitus in veterans would drive more interest, but just look how many vets are even on Tinnitus Talk...