Really Loud Megaphone

Discussion in 'Support' started by Apocalypse77, Aug 30, 2017.

1. Apocalypse77
      Loved

Apocalypse77 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/8/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma (go-kart racing)
      A ****head in our school was walking in the hallway with a megaphone.

In our school we have doors that separates the hallway. I did not notice him until he opened the door. I was about 8 meters away from him.

I had computer on my other hand and my phone on my other hand so I quickly ran to behind a wall and plugged my ears. I still got exposed to that noise for 15 seconds-30 seconds.

I am so pissed. What the hell was he thinking. I think my tinnitus will become really loud now. :(

Some of my friends said it was pretty loud. And some said even pffx... you think that is loud?

• Hug Hug x 2
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    2. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Negative thinking about sounds in the environment being harmful reinforces the belief that even slightly raised sounds are cause for alarm which isn't the case. Please try and get out of this mindset as you are not helping yourself. The stress and anxiety this creates can cause tinnitus to spike and not necessary caused by the megaphone.

Michael

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Like Like x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Apocalypse77
      Loved

Apocalypse77 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/8/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      The megaphone was really loud. Luckily I was 12 meters and when he came closer only 8 meters and behind a wall. I don't remember how long I got exposed to it. About 20 seconds. My tinnitus will be definitely worse now on. :( The megaphone was probably 119 dB.

I should have plugged my ears, but I couldn't.

• Funny Funny x 1
    4. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Try and calm yourself down and put this incident behind you. Focusing on it and writing about it reinforces negativity which isn't going to be help you. Read my post: Hyperacusis, As I see It. Click on my "started threads" and I suggest you read some of my positivity posts. Accentuating the positive things in your life will help you negative thinking holds you back.

All the best
      Michael

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Apocalypse77
      Loved

Apocalypse77 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/8/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I really can't believe I ruined my life again. This mistake, this thing ruined my life. I hate him who used that megaphone, he deserves tinnitus, making me suffer more.

Last year was so bad, and now I will go back? I can't take this.

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Apocalypse77
      Loved

Apocalypse77 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/8/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      upload_2017-8-30_19-8-32.png
      This is the exact same megaphone. I finally found it after an hour of research.
      The site that sold these doesn't tell how loud this thing is.
      db_chart.png
      I found also this. :( So the megaphone could have been even 122 dB.

7. victoria9273
      Amused

victoria9273 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Hyperacusis since 2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Use of earbuds
      I'm very sorry for your distress and I fully understand how you would feel. The thought's occupying you at the moment and there is nothing you can do about it unless it dies with the time or other big and wearisome sound takes its place so that you forget all about it and start your fear anew. That's the way we live, I think.

I've been exposed to horrible, mentally agonizing sound several times in a row these few days and I don't know what's happening to me. Never was like this moment when I am fully confident about what i'm doing and diligently doing what I like, having been recently recovered from bad depression, and not wearing earplugs when I go out and suddenly these things happen to me. It feels like I'm the one who hears those sound so loud that other people might not possibly hear in their lives; That's how my brain interprets all these to be.

Just let it all pass. Indulging in a depression might not be so much a bad idea after all, as it gives us much time to think and contemplate about it so that we wouldn't be scared by the thought later.

• Like Like x 1
    8. Rubenslash

Rubenslash Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bad luck and bad decisions
      Are you really going to freak over every loud sound the next 60 years?

• Agree Agree x 1
    9. fishbone
      Shitfaced

fishbone Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noise and very bad sickness
      I say this in a friendly way - Please seek some counseling.

• Agree Agree x 1
    10. MRItechssuck
      Disappointed

MRItechssuck Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Severe 10/17/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise, MRI
      I’m surprised more people on the receiving end of the megaphones aren't getting tinnitus or... hyperacusis.

11. Badger19

Badger19 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Are you sure about the 120 dB? That is comparable to a very loud concert.

12. whatdidyousay

whatdidyousay Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud volumes
      Looks like the same or similar megaphone someone was using tonight. Was in line in a store a few minutes before closing and one of the employees used one of these to remind shoppers the place was closing soon. The store was pretty big and shoppers a long ways away in the store seemed to hear it just fine. It had an alarm/siren and then her voice. The siren was pretty dang loud and I was much closer than the originator of this post - about a meter away in my case. Not sure if it was quite as loud as the 119dB chart referenced but perhaps lower 100s. Probably what angered me a bit was that the employee used it more than once when I was still in line. Exposure time maybe about a minute in total but still very annoying.

• Hug Hug x 1
    13. Gman
      No Mood

Gman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ototoxic earwax drops, worsened by MDs (Muppet Doctors)
      It will never happen, but they should make inflicting loud noise onto others a crime. Sound can be a weapon.
      Seems like everything else is a crime these days. You can into trouble shining lasers at others, oh but that's right, you can actually SEE lasers.

14. MRItechssuck
      Disappointed

MRItechssuck Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Severe 10/17/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise, MRI
      That’s why it’s important to protect ourselves against the carefree Idiots without tinnitus. Earplugs every time you leave the house.

• Agree Agree x 1
    15. lymebite
      Vegged out

lymebite Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Interesting events in England last week with a trial regarding a police officer injured by a megaphone used very close to her ears.

“A police officer told a court she was left with ringing in her ear "like a fire alarm going off" after a protester pointed a megaphone at her.”

“PC Ann Spinks told Southwark Crown Court Mr Farrar "blasted" his voice into her left ear, causing tinnitus for several days.”

“Mr Farrar, from Bordon, Hampshire, had been told not to use the megaphone at ear level before to the alleged assault after an incident involving Mr Lewis, the trial heard. However, Ms Spinks told the jury Mr Farrar continued shouting through his megaphone, which was about a foot away from her head.”

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-london-51117451

• Like Like x 1
    16. Gman
      No Mood

Gman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ototoxic earwax drops, worsened by MDs (Muppet Doctors)
      He was found not guilty of assaulting the police with the megaphone and no evidence that he had committed a crime. If the police can't even get justice, then what hope is there for the public? None. Revenge with sound is the only way, because assault with loud sound isn't considered a crime.

"Neither police officer suffered lasting hearing loss as a result, the court was told."
      Maybe not with a standard hearing test. Who knows, maybe these police officers will show up on the forum at some stage when the real tinnitus kicks in.