Recommendations for Good Over-Ear Tinnitus Friendly Headphones?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Sven, Dec 17, 2019.

1. Sven
      Fine

Sven Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/1999
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      I rarely use headphones, except sometimes at work or when traveling. (Music and streaming video). I've used a pair of studio phones (Sennheisser 380 HD Pro) the last few years, but even though they're supposedly very good as studio headphones they have a flat sound without much bass. (Hardly any).

Can anyone recommend good over-ear tinnitus friendly headphones that I can use and have good sound without playing too loud?

2. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      I'm happy with my Bose noise cancelling headphones. They cancel out outside noise so I can keep the volume low and still hear my content.

3. Kriszti

Kriszti Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2016/2017/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      So, you don't think or don't experience that using headphones worsen your tinnitus? Yours is not noise induced, is it? So if it's probably noise induced, headphones are a no-go?

4. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      No.

No, but its physiological outcomes are very similar: loss of hair cells in the cochlea and its associated hearing loss.

I haven't seen any study, heard any logical argument, or been told by any of my doctors (I have asked them) that headphones themselves were bad for T.

Loud noise is dangerous, whether it gets to your ear via headphones, speakers, a burglar alarm, or a firetruck... That's what I personally worry about, not the delivery method.

I'll take low volume music via "dangerous headphones" over a loud concert via "safe speakers" any day.

YMMV - we're all different.

5. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Since your tinnitus was caused by loud music, you are playing with fire using any type of headphones even at low volume but it's your choice. Be careful of listening to people that tell you using headphones is fine as long as the volume is kept low, it's not, especially for people with noise induced tinnitus, as there's always a risk of the tinnitus becoming worse. People that don't have noise induced tinnitus may not be so easily affected.

All the best
      Michael

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Sven
      Fine

Sven Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/1999
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      That's why I want over-ear, preferably noise cancelling so that I can hear well without it being too loud. I use headphones now and then and it's mostly so that I won't disturb my surroundings OR so that I can concentrate when there's too much noise at work. I'm quite comfortable after all this time to measure what's too loud and not, but thanks for your concern. (And it's not even once a week I listen).

I think Greg was spot on right here.

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Sven
      Fine

Sven Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/1999
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      Now I had time to do some research. These are expensive, but seems to be what I might be looking for: Sony WH-1000XM3

8. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      It is up to you @Sven but remember I warned you. There are people in this forum that have noise induced tinnitus, the same as you and have used Overhead and Noise cancelling headphones and their tinnitus has got worse. I have had tinnitus a long time and corresponded with many people that have noise induced tinnitus, who have used headphones and their tinnitus becomes worse. It is true, some people with noise induced tinnitus are not affected but many people are.

The Member you have mentioned is on my ignore list so I don't see his comments. If I remember correctly his tinnitus was not Noise induced, but caused by an underlying medical problem within the ear.

I advise you again not to use any type headphones even at low volume.
      Take care.
      Michael

9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Sven
      Fine

Sven Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/1999
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      Thank you.

Like I said it's not very often and sometimes it's talk radio I listen to, so they're not necessarily for music, should I buy any.

10. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      It doesn't matter whether it's music, podcast or speech. You are taking a risk using headphones because your tinnitus is Noise induced. I counsel people with tinnitus. People have telephoned me crying because they are in distress because of headphones. I am not trying to frighten you I know what tinnitus can do so please be careful.

Take care
      Michael

• Like Like x 2
    11. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I like open backed cans more than closed, but my go-tos these days are Sony WH1000-MX3s, because they're wireless and pretty high fidelity and the noise cancelling means I can use them at an extremely low volume and still hear music or conference calls clearly.

I am on calls for work a lot and I do a bunch of audio beeps / music production dabbling, so I have done a lot of experimentation; my go-tos are the Sonys, and then Grado SR80s for corded open-backed.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    12. boliston
      No Mood

boliston Member

Tinnitus Since:
      30th April 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Idiopathic
      i have got Sennheiser HD590 - had them a good 20 years and work well, I think they have been replaced with a new model now though.