Retigabine (Trobalt, Potiga) — Petition to the ATA

Discussion in 'Awareness & Fundraising' started by valeri, Nov 19, 2014.

1. lapidus

lapidus Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      I see. I always though the syringing was a noisy procedure since so many people have gotten T from it and therefor thought it was noise induced T. So what you are implying is that potassium modulators probably won't have any effect on us who got T from loud noise? Well that sucks :(

2. OddV
      Assassinator

OddV Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear Infection
      For those of you in the double super secret working group... how does the data look for those of us that got it from ear infections? DannyBoy is the only one I'm aware of that is on RTG that got it in that fashion.

Also, is there anything I can do to assist? East Coast of the US, so could take some action items that needed to be taken care of during US time.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    3. attheedgeofscience
      No Mood

attheedgeofscience Member Podcast Patron Mighty Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Resolved since 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown (medication, head injury)
      I would say there is too little data to support anything too concrete in relation to specific etiologies. What can be said is that there appears to be two groups of people: those who experience significant relief and those who experience little when measuring start vs. end improvement (not interim improvements) and the etiologies behind those two clusters can be grouped (and seemed to indicate certain pre-liminary findings)

The purpose of a study would be to have a greater pool of data allowing a clear pattern to emerge in terms of efficacy (and etiology). We also have to recognize that the data we have collected so far is not of the same rigour as that collected in a trial setting.

Thanks for the offer. We will need to see what the immediate future brings in terms of workload; as such there is no timezone issue with this particular project. We will keep you in mind.

Thanks.

4. Hudson
      Cowboy

Hudson Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Feel free to hit me up for money or time if it is needed.

• Helpful Helpful x 2
      • Winner Winner x 1
    5. Markku
      Inspired

Markku Founder Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      Trauma of some sort, in my case (since it caused tinnitus), certainly I think it was. But I don't think it was excessive noise exposure. That was my point.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    6. SoulStation
      No Mood

SoulStation Member Ambassador

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise / Possible Medication
      I don't think that's true. Definitely got my t from noise partially and trobalt helped me but I couldn't handle the side effects.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    7. Philemon

Philemon Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Mild NIHL
      yeah, quite the same for me, i think my T definitely came from too much noise exposure only and even if retigabine is not magical for me as for @Mpt , it's doing great, at least for now ... or maybe a proper study will reveal that it works less well for people like me but that some people from this category are simply outliers for whom it's doing good as well ... for now we can't know

• Like Like x 2
    8. TomKA
      Thinking

TomKA Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2004 -> 03/2014
      I will start with RTG later today and the cause of my T is otitis media like DannyBoy - so we have a second case of an ear infection induced T

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    9. Steve
      Creative

Steve Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Flu, Noise-induced, Jaw trauma
      The study is pretty small so it can easily be something random. If we can get a much larger study off the ground then we will know an awful lot more, we can see if this is replicated.

• Agree Agree x 7
    10. David S

David S Member Benefactor Ambassador

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      How are studies like this typically conducted? Does ATA have their own medical expertise to conduct this or would they collaborate with somebody else?

Would it be double blind? Would it measure both subjective and objective factors? How many candidates would be needed? What type of T? Severe for at least 6 month?

I would imagine that just getting the right candidates from just one hospital would take a lot of time. Maybe we could start to find candidates here. I might fit the criteria then. I have been prescribed Trobalt but have decided not to try it yet. Maybe that would be a good approach to get candidates fast. Try to gather people that already got it prescribed but are willing to wait a little before they try it. If there are plans to do a more specific pre study here on TT I might consider that as well.

11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      valeri

valeri Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2011
      Is GSK aware of the results of TT members Retigabine trial?

12. attheedgeofscience
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      Resolved since 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      There has been work ongoing all weekend; some of you may have noticed that I (and other members) have been online "constantly" since Friday.

I do not wish to be too specific about developments right this very minute. There will be follow-up with a number of points of contact tomorrow or Tuesday. Whether we will have something to share before x'mas, I don't know for sure.

But the process we are involved in will take time (please remember that the average clinical trial period from preclinical to end phase-III can easily take 10 years!). Even if we had all the resources in the world available to us (which we don't), a study in itself would take a certain period of time to actually execute before results can be established eg. participants need to actually follow a treatment protocol for a certain duration (needless to say).

When there are developments, we will share them.

attheedgeofscience
      21/DEC/2014.

• Like Like x 2
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    13. Rube
      Fine

Rube Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud shit
      I would like to give my thanks and appreciation to everyone on team trobalt as well as the trialees. If there is anything the rest of us can do please let us know.

• Agree Agree x 2
    14. Dr. Nagler

Dr. Nagler Member Clinician Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1994
      Let's say ATA agreed to fund a Retigabine study ... or let's say any research group agreed to do such a study.

It may be a silly question, but I wonder how they could do the blinding. I mean, judging from what I've been reading on this board, the side effects of Retigabine are such that those in the treatment arm of the study would likely know that they weren't receiving a placebo. That was the huge flaw in the alprazolam (Xanax) study back in 1993. Those in the Xanax arm pretty much knew that they weren't receiving sugar pills purely by how they felt.

I'm sure that a properly blinded Retigabine study could be developed, but it would require a good bit of thinking and creativity.

Dr. Stephen Nagler

15. attheedgeofscience
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      Resolved since 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Without thinking too deeply about your question, Dr. Nagler, my immediate response would be: how did Trobalt make it to the market in the first place as a treatment against epilepsy (in a double blind study)?

I suppose that is what you are hinting at with your reference to the Xanax study. I do not know the answer, and as such, I am not bothered by it, because one way or another, I will not be the one who has to deal with the issue (in the end).

Personally, I do not require studies (to always) be double blind (or even single blind). I don't believe in the placebo effect (personally) ie. either the stuff works or it does not, and if I was taking a placebo say - for a pain condition - I am sure I would not notice an effect (just like I am pretty sure a person with severe back pain would notice the difference between Morphine and a pill made of flour). My (simplistic) opinion.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Funny Funny x 1
    16. Dr. Nagler

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1994
      You make a good point. Like I said, it might be a silly question. I'm sure there would be a way of doing it, I just couldn't think of it off the top of my head. Good thing I'm not a researcher, huh? Perhaps they might use a placebo that produces some of the same symptoms that Retigabine produces. I dunno.

Anyway, I hope that you and the rest of Team Trobalt are successful in your efforts.

Dr. Stephen Nagler

17. tomm
      Thinking

tomm Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma (club drumming)
      Has the paper mentioned by the researcher been published yet ATEOS?

How is the project progressing?

18. Markku
      Inspired

Markku Founder Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      I'm not @attheedgeofscience but I can respond to your inquiry @tomm.
      No it hasn't been published yet. We'll announce it the moment it is.

It's going great:

Screen Shot 2015-01-06 at 20.18.02.png

But we can't announce anything in public yet. Quite a bit has been happening behind the scenes however, including some exciting new and unexpected turns. Some key people are still away on holidays, but we should hopefully have something more concrete to say within a month or so.

• Like Like x 5
    19. RaZaH
      Cheeky

RaZaH Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2012/04
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzo + loud noise
      You guys are so amazingly proactive about this whole mess , I feel ashamed of just sitting here feeling sorry for myself :p

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
    20. Champ
      Woot

Champ Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma from headphones
      Just taking it and being involved is doing a lot @RaZaH =)

Being involved in the discussions at all is enough for most people. We just need more and more of us who have tinnitus to get involved!

21. luigilo
      Stalking

luigilo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma but little earing loss...
      The secret group intended to prepare a solid report for submission to the ATA if I understood correctly ?

Ps :The forum UI/UX is very well developed :rockingbanana:

• Agree Agree x 2
    22. Hudson
      Cowboy

Hudson Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      I am patiently awaiting any updates on this! I am very excited about it!

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Genius Genius x 1
    23. luigilo
      Stalking

luigilo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma but little earing loss...
      I think this is an issue that is ready to be submitted to the ATA , or other confidential informations from ATA :)

• Agree Agree x 1
    24. Steve
      Creative

Steve Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Flu, Noise-induced, Jaw trauma
      As an announcement of what we are doing with the results...

tri.jpg

We have been communicating with the Tinnitus Research Initiative about the informal Trobalt trial on TT. They are very interested in this and very interested in the concept of this kind of informal, internet based trial.

We have given them the results to date and they are going to submit an article summarising the activity to the journal "Expert Opinion on Pharmacotherapy".

We can't stress enough how important it is for all people doing their own trial to complete the new user and update forms. What's happening here is really making a difference, voices are being heard. The more data we have the better the assessment that can be made.

The more "out there" this gets the better we can engage others to progress to potential off label use and potential further trials on a refined version for tinnitus - if it continues to show efficacy.

• Winner Winner x 4
    25. Dr. Nagler

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1994
      Excellent. These folks are the REAL DEAL. I cannot tell you how impressed I am with Team Trobalt's focus and resolve.

Here is a link to TRI's latest newsletter ...

http://www.tinnitusresearch.org/en/news/pdfs/TRI_Newsletter_2914.pdf

Well done, Team Trobalt!

Dr. Stephen Nagler

• Like Like x 5
    26. Hudson
      Cowboy

Hudson Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      I agree! Their interest in this is very encouraging to say the least. Thank you all for the work on submitting what we have so far to the TRI.

• Like Like x 1
    27. attheedgeofscience
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      Resolved since 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      UPDATE

A manuscript based - in part - on the data submitted by participants of the informal trial of Trobalt (here on the forum) has been submitted by TRI to the pharmacological journal "Expert Opinion on Pharmacotherapy" last week. The manuscript has (also) been read and reviewed by Team Trobalt and is now pending independent peer review with researchers of the journal.

One weakness has been highlighted within the manuscript in relation to the collection of data: points of assessment were not standardized. This essentially means that arbitrary days were chosen for the progress reports that have been filed. This - from a "clinical trial" point of view - is a flaw. Going forward, it would therefore help enormously if participants could report their progress daily or weekly (and if weekly, on the same weekday each time). Just fill out the basic skeleton data (no need to write a whole "novel" each time in the comment section) - it takes less than one minute to do so.

There is plenty of evidence that Kv7.x channel modulators play a role in the treatment of tinnitus (and other neurological diseases). There are currently a number of researchers and pharmas that have "2nd generation" drugs of this type in their pipeline:

SF0034 (www.scifluor.com/our-approach/our-approach-fluoro)
      xxx (http://knoppbio.com/research/show.php?2)
      yyy (www.audres.pitt.edu/people/tzounopoulos.php)

We will try to track down more information on these developments and share (what we can) in public.

attheedgeofscience
      19/FEB/2015.

• Like x 12
      • Informative x 3
      • Helpful x 2
      • Genius x 2
      • Optimistic x 2
    28. attheedgeofscience
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      Resolved since 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      It has come to my attention that the research paper I have previously quoted is now available in its entirety (for free) @:

www.researchgate.net/publication/261220232_Pharmacodynamics_of_posstassium_channel_openers_in_cultured_neuronal_networks

It has also come to my attention that the group of researchers behind the paper (headed by Prof. Moore) have the capability to engage in further research of the drugs mentioned in the paper as well as engage in research of more advanced compounds with a more specific selectivity of the K+ channels (improving both side-effects and potency for tinnitus suppression). As with all basic research done at public institutions, funding is frequently an issue. This also applies in this instance.

attheedgeofscience
      28/MAR/2015.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    29. preslys

preslys Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
    30. marqualler
      Nerdy

marqualler Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection / Mild Noise Induced Hearing Loss
      Is there a preferred method of funding that the researchers would use to receive funding for interested parties? Would setting up a Kick starter a type funding request be appropriate for their needs?

Thanks for doing this important leg work, ATEOS!