Road Noise and a Flare in Tinnitus Level

Discussion in 'Support' started by JRS, Jul 28, 2015.

1. Telis

Telis Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      Short trips I use compressed cotton, it's not a lot of protection but takes it down a notch. For longer drives I use ear muffs which looks a little stupid but whatever.
      You could always just undercoat your car, this helps a lot. Should cost you about 500 dollars.

2. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      JRS

JRS Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2014
      Tells, thanks with the undercoating suggestion. I have had no luck in finding soundproofing, $500 would be a bargain, and quieter tires maybe after that. I will look into that.

3. Steve
      Creative

Steve Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Flu, Noise-induced, Jaw trauma
      This is the UK site I've looked at before, looks like they are UK only but hopefully it may help out for searching for a similar supplier in your area http://www.nkgroup.co.uk/product-category/vehicles/

4. Rube
      Fine

Rube Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud shit
      Most stereo places do dynamat interior sound proofing installs. You can try them if you haven't yet. Take some db readings before and after to see if it has helped.

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      JRS

JRS Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2014
      I was looking for this at stereo places and they don't list it so I will call, thanks. I did find Zeibart has an undercoating but read mixed reviews and it is not convenient... Thanks, and sorry for the type on Telis' name, for some reason I cannot edit it.

6. Thongjy
      Balanced

Thongjy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unsure
      is it safe to drive with obstructed hearing?

7. Telis

Telis Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      Sure, I think so. I have driven around with my stereo turned up (as many people do) for all these years, this is the same thing as plugging your ears. I'm pretty sure deaf people are allowed to drive as well? I was never given a hearing test when I received my license.

Also, there are a ton of people on loud motorcycles along with wind noise obstructing their hearing.

If it were not safe I would imagine there would be laws against these other things.

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      JRS

JRS Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2014
      I have been test driving vehicles known to be quiet, my ears are still not happy. I have a very high spike today, maybe it started last night. I drove vehicles for over an hour yesterday. They were nice Luxus', known for contained noise. Makes me question if i should bother even selling a car and sprnding more money, lot's more money. Very frustrsting. Will try Ginkgo Biloba when it arrives next week.

9. Jamie
      Worried

Jamie Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/1989
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      1989 Ear Infection 2015 Coming off Benzo
      I have taken out many cars trying to find a quieter one at the road noise spikes my T. I am in New Zealand and european cars are very expensive here, espically if they break down, the best I have found is a 4X4 ute, I'm not sure why but the bigger the wheels the less road noise. I have a ford ranger 2012 which also has a lot of sound proofing as standard. It's fine driving around town but if I'm on the open road I wear bose noise cancelling headphones, these are great at taking out that low down roar but you can still hear people talk. I will still get a bit of a spike after a long trip like this but nothing like it I wear nothing. If I come to a small town or slow down for what ever reason I take them off, I only want to wear them for the shortest time possible. Maybe a good reson to speed??;)

10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      JRS

JRS Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2014
      Bought a Luxus GS last week due to the seats which seem great for my back. Also had the dealer swap the tires after a lot of research To Pirelli P7 all season plus. They seem very quiet. More than i wanted to spend, not one drop of wind noise(test drove 3 and picked what i felt was the quietest. Time will tell but i think I got the right car, right color and right tires. Thanks again.

11. Blujay

Blujay Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/1900
      Possibly, by the time you are ready for your next car, you won't need such a quiet one. There are many accounts of people whose sensitivity or reactive T reduced over time, and they were able to drive and ride in louder cars.

This is not your imagination. If you test-drive cars and look at a decibel meter, you'll see a huge variance between models.

Driving a car is probably the loudest thing you'll do in a day. Road noise and bumps can reach damaging levels, even for those with normal hearing. Those people just can't hear it like you can.

12. Bobby B
      Fine

Bobby B Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Large caliber rifles&machine guns, +30 years of loud clubs
      The best solution for road noise are the Bose noise cancelling earbuds
      You can hear what people say and of course listen to music but the road noise is cut by a large portion
      And as for cars - the latest models have to be fuel efficient and energy absorbing in terms of collision shocks so the body is built with very thin steel
      Try the older larger luxury cars like an older Mercedes form the 80's or 90s or a Cadillac
      Had one - whisper quiet , huge difference with the recent models even the more expensive ones

13. Bertman
      No Mood

Bertman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      concert
      For me, cars are my passion in life. In particular, loud, fast sports cars. I love the sound of a wailing Porsche flat-six, but my ears can't tolerate it anymore :(. If anyone else is like me I just read about a product called dynamat(Second skin is another brand), which is like aftermarket sound insulation that you can put under the floor carpet, on the doors and in the trunk and hood. If fully installed it can provide around 10+db reduction, so with that I hope that one day I can drive any car I want, and if I'm going to drive it hard I can put in my earplugs for good measure. But for most people, I think that with some kind of product like this, we can buy almost any car we want, not just the quietest one.

And btw, @JRS, Congrats on the new car! Post some pics if you wouldn't mind :)

Edit: Just saw that someone else mentioned dynamat already, guess I'm late to the party

14. Blujay

Blujay Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/1900
      Noise cancellation technology is now starting to appear in less expensive cars. And Bose is working on one that works through Bose car radios.

15. LeQuack
      Gloomy

LeQuack Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bad luck and bad genes
      I just can't get a break it seems. Today I was driving as usual on the freeway and a rock must've hit the windshield, but it sounded so loud, like a small explosion. Seriously, I've had pebbles hit my windshield before but this sounded like a large rock hitting it, although I couldn't see any damage. And now I'm scared of what effect it will have on my hearing an tinnitus. It just felt so loud and it came out of nowhere. Anyone else had this happen?

16. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      I have had a similar experience in the past. You could have hyperaucusis (sensitivity to sound) have you been examined at ENT and had any treatment? Do you listen to music through headphones, if so I advise you to stop even at low volumes. In the car, do you listen to music at high volume levels? If there are no other medical conditions causing the tinnitus and hyperacusis, loud noise exposure is usually the cause. Please click on the link below as you might find the posts helpful. See your Dr and get referred to ENT is my advice.
      Michael
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/search/member?user_id=3134&content=thread

• Like Like x 1
    17. LeQuack
      Gloomy

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bad luck and bad genes
      Not sure if its hyperacusis but more an extreme fear of loud noises. I can listen to headphones fine at low volume, never listen to loud music.

But today was just one of those days where things were somewhat fine or at least manageable and then this happens. A lousy pebble hits my windshield and of course creates a loud noise and instantly my day is ruined. That will teach me for thinking it can get better.

18. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      @LeQuack
      If you have tinnitus even if it's slight, then it's not a good idea in my opinion to listen to music through headphones even at low volume.
      However, it's up to you.
      Take care
      Michael

19. LeQuack
      Gloomy

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bad luck and bad genes
      Well my T does seem higher today, so that sucks. It may just be my nerves but who knows.

Everyone who's ever experienced a rock hitting the windshield can confirm that it is usually very loud. I mean I take so many precautions and stuff so I don't get exposed to loud noises but then something unexpected like this totally screws with me. It was probably one of the loudest sounds I've experienced in the last few years, that's what has got me worried.