Scalp Acupuncture

Discussion in 'Alternative Treatments and Research' started by lcj, Oct 6, 2019.

1. lcj

lcj Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      medication
      • Helpful Helpful x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    2. LostOutWest
      Not amused

LostOutWest Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hi there - I've had a few scalp acupunture therapies to date - no material results but I am going to continue. We have added some electrical pulsing. It is relaxing, not sure if it is impacting my tinnitus. I'm still in the early stages here at about 2.5 weeks into the onset.

• Like Like x 2
    3. MargMan
      Wishful

MargMan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      March 3, 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Virus
      Starting to work for me. I’ve been doing acupoints & acupuncture with electrical stimulation since June. After today’s treatment I had near silence. Probably won’t last but it shows we can get there. I’ve gone for treatment twice a week for at least 2 hours a day.
      I pray this treatment works for you

• Winner Winner x 2
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      lcj

lcj Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      medication
      Great! Any idea which points were used, especially points on the face/scalp?

• Like Like x 1
    5. Cher2

Cher2 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Do you go to aspecial kind of acupuncturist for the electrical stimulation? I don’t think the one near me uses that.

6. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      I have tried accupuncture and it also provides temporary relief from H and T. It is like going to the physiotherapist, stretching etc. They all can help with the symptoms but cannot cure T or H, specially when they are triggered again by noise.

• Agree Agree x 1
    7. Lane

Lane Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Single 25 mg dose of (anticholinergic) drug Promethazine
      Hi @Juan -- It's quite fortunate you're able to get at least temporary relief from your t & h. Many on this board would give their eye teeth to get even a little bit of temporary relief by whatever means. -- Not to necessarily disagree with you about whether acupuncture can or cannot cure t or h, but I would postulate there's a good chance temporary relief could become more durable and longer lasting if acupuncture is used regularly.

By regularly, I'm thinking in terms of learning how to do acupuncture on ourselves, and doing it every day, or maybe every other day. And what if we were to do that for a thousand days? I think we often make the mistake of not fully realizing or appreciating that some things in the body--like ears and brain experiencing t & h--need long-term therapy(s) that run into the years.

I'm committing myself to learning as much as I can about all the acupuncture points that might help with t & h, and doing them for the forseeable future. I'm doing the same with mHBOT, where the traditional thinking is a dozen or so sessions will tell you whether or not it's going to help. What about a 1,000 sessions--or more? I have other therapies in mind as well. -- Anyway, just sharing a little on my own perspectives on what I think is the importance of playing the long game.

All the Best...

• Like Like x 2
    8. HeavyMantra
      Bugridden

HeavyMantra Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Steadily worsening since 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I've been thinking the same thing. Although acupuncture is very complicated there should be certain safe points to do self-acupuncture on, especially if you would get an experienced practitioner to tell you what points to use so you're doing an informed decision.

• Like Like x 2
    9. MargMan
      Wishful

MargMan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      March 3, 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Virus
      My acupuncture with electrical stimulation is done by a doctor through a sports therapy center. The acupoints (Reiki) are primarily scalp, base of skull & temple. After last weeks session I had total silence for 3 days and .5 out of 10 for 2 days. The weather changed, damp, cold,rainy, and my T spiked to a 6. It came down a day later to a 3 and remains at a 2.
      Does anyone else’s T change with the weather?

• Winner Winner x 1
    10. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      Accupuncture is part of tradicional Chinese medicine and takes years to learn. I went to a Chinese clinic for it.

11. StubbyJ

StubbyJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/02/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Noise Exposure
      I had electroacupuncture done (needle left side under ear) and the current ran over to the right side inducing chirping (with electrical sensation), pulsatile T and 2 new tones in right ear. Have yet to fully recover 3 years out. Be careful with this stuff.

• Informative Informative x 1
    12. arctic_penguin

arctic_penguin Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Music
      I did acupressure / acupuncture. He did acupressure around my neck and ears. Then he stuck 3 needles around each ear. 1 needle near my pinky fingers. 20 minutes. My tinnitus went from severe to mild (totally livable level). But I was walking near the street without earplugs and a super loud honk next to me got it spiking again. That night was severe again. But after 2 days it went back to mild and moderate. So it did work, but my hyperacusis made it spike.

I went to Zhang Tong Acupuncture in Oakland, CA. They had good reviews.

I suggest anyone should at least try acupuncture. I paid only $75.

• Like Like x 2