Slowly Going Insane

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Julia Szyjko, Jun 12, 2017.

1. Julia Szyjko
      Fine

Julia Szyjko Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/5/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Cold
      I've had tinnitus for 3 weeks I'm going insane

• Hug Hug x 4
    2. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      • Helpful Helpful x 2
    3. TuneOut

TuneOut Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Worsened 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert
      Hi Julia. Do you know the cause of your tinnitus?

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Julia Szyjko
      Fine

Julia Szyjko Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/5/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Cold
      I had a cold a few weeks before the tinnitus started, I woke up 3 weeks ago with vertigo so bad I had to go to hospital I told them I had buzzing in my ear too, the vertigo has basically gone now but the noises in my ear never go away, I'm making an appointment tomorrow with an ENT surgeon, if they don't see me very soon I think I'll go insane, I had an MRI last week and they found nothing wrong with my ear at all but they did find a lesion in my right frontal lobe, I'm not sure how much more noise I can take.

• Hug Hug x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Julia Szyjko
      Fine

Julia Szyjko Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/5/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Cold
      I've put myself on valium to try and cope

6. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      Sorry about your suffering from tinnitus. Have you tried masking it yet?

• Agree Agree x 1
    7. LukeYoung
      Frantic

LukeYoung Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      A loud Concert - Noise Exposure
      Please don't put yourself on drugs, Valium can actually worsen it if you're not taking it correctly.

I know it's hard, especially in the first few weeks. Try masking it with white noise, rain sounds, a fan or any sounds you find on YouTube to mask it.

You should mask it just below your sound so your brain can learn to filter it out. It's tough, but it gets better.

Do all this up until your ENT visit, and after if there is no cause found.

• Like Like x 2
      • Hug Hug x 1
    8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Julia Szyjko
      Fine

Julia Szyjko Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/5/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Cold
      Thanks Luke, you are right the valium made it worse and gave me a headache, I'm struggling at the moment to not let this overtake my life, I need to know it gets better, thanks for caring Luke

9. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      If valium is not good for you, you may need some natural stuffs to help calm the nerves. you can try natural alternatives such as Melatonin, Lemon Balm, Valerian, Hops, Catnips, Passion Flower, Chamomile, Lavender, Kava, etc. You can do google search or check Amazon.com for each of them to know how people review these products, and see if you can take them as a supplement. Check out this site on using natural herbs for helping to sleep or to calm the nerves.

http://www.christopherhobbs.com/lib...ealth/herbs-and-natural-remedies-for-insomnia /

Also instead of getting too stressful with hearing the ringing, you can try masking it with pleasant nature sounds. If you haven't tried it yet, here are some suggestions. Take care. God bless.

1) Mask at bed time so you can sleep better. Find whatever sounds/music that are soothing to you. You can use a sound machine or sound pillow for this, or a computer with speakers.

2) If you need masking on the go, try load an ipod with nature sounds or music using itune. If you have a smart phone, you can download free APPs for soothing or T-masking sounds. Don't try to overpower T with loud headphone sound. Just set the volume below that of T so you can get used to your T.

3) If you have computer and speakers, you can try these excellent masking sounds too:

TT's audio player: https://www.tinnitustalk.com/audioplayer/

or click play to mix sounds from this simple sound generator: http://asoftmurmur.com/

or this sound library, particularly the self-mix nature sounds: https://mynoise.net

or download free sound generator ‘aire freshener’: http://www.peterhirschberg.com/mysoftware.html

or search youtube with words like 'tinnitus masking sounds', 'white noise', 'rain sound' etc.

• Agree Agree x 1
    10. Richard J Lyons

Richard J Lyons Member

Tinnitus Since:
      DEC. 1988
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Premature birth. Exposure to loud noise.
      I am 67 & have had tinnitus for 29 yrs.+. I highly recommend masking. My brother also has tinnitus and he has used masking tapes to tone down the noises. Takes patience, however. You may want to try SRI type antidepressants also. Paxil worked well for me. Zollof (sp) did not.
      Also, never lose hope ! The level of research on tinnitus is going-up particularly now that the US Sep't. of Defense is getting involved. I also suggest getting on an exercise program. I power walk 4 miles/day and manage to sleep well despite the tinnitus.
      ...and I am no preacher but prayer helps.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    11. AmericanJosh

AmericanJosh Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise exposure while doing work on home
      I am glad the SSRI anti depressants worked for you, but I've read that class of drugs can actually cause or increase tinnitus.

12. RobertFahey

RobertFahey Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Maybe sinus infection
      Update, Julia?

• Good Question Good Question x 2
    13. louis86
      Alienated

louis86 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/9/19
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      earbuds
      I'm new here and new to tinnitus. I've had it for about a week and it is pretty scary. I bring ear plugs for places that get loud and put on a fan when i'm just sitting in a room. I'm not sure how I am going to deal with this but I know staying proactive about it and not giving up is the only thing I can think of right now.. peace

• Hug Hug x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    14. vinceVv

vinceVv Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Aug 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Antidepressants
      Be very careful with valium, its addictive and you could easily form a dependance which can be extremely difficult and painful to break. Other members on this forum have been through hell because of it.

I know its very difficult right now, but the great majority of people do habituate. You will get used to it and eventually, even when its quiet it'll cease to enter your consciousness.