Solsaem Clinic (Dr. Minbo Shim) Experience

Discussion in 'Alternative Treatments and Research' started by JohnAdams, Feb 2, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    1. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      JohnAdams
      Festive

JohnAdams Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Aspirin Toxicity/Possibly Noise
      It's not approved for human clinical use yet, even in S. Korea. He has told me that if something else came along that was better than what he is doing that he would do it once approved. If FX-322 gets approved and is superior to bone marrow and PRP then I'm sure he will treat patients with it.

• Like Like x 4
    2. GlennAz

GlennAz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Young child
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Lord only knows
      It’s amazing how fast another country can get something approved for people use, yet in the US, it can take forever. These other countries (most of them anyway), care about their citizens’ health, too.

Possibly if enough people were yelling, in the west, approvals could go faster.

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Like Like x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      JohnAdams
      Festive

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      You mean like all the vets living with hearing loss and tinnitus that don't know about this stuff?

• Agree Agree x 3
    4. Flamingo1

Flamingo1 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      4-15-2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Maybe Belltone was trying to sell you a hearing aid.

5. Artemis2K
      Kick ass

Artemis2K Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I had tinnitus for as long as I can remember. Got bad later.
      That would make sense only if the audiogram showed a worse loss than the others, but it was the opposite.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    6. just1morething
      Benevolent

just1morething Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      TMJ disorder, airplane barotrauma, noise exposure.
      Seems like most audiologist's mark up their hearing aids 200-300%. I'm happy with Audicus. I think you can do your own hearing test on their website, but I sent them my recent audiogram. My noise is just bad when I wake up in the morning and after naps.

https://www.audicus.com/the-online-hearing-test/

7. just1morething
      Benevolent

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      My awakening tinnitus is so bad. I suppose my brain is turning up the gain for the damage? I’ve been taking Advil plus diazepam when I wake up. It’s almost painful to listen to.

Anyone have any ideas for severe awakening tinnitus...static type hissing? I thought it could be neck related but I’m not sure. Sometimes I think it’s ETD as my ears don’t crack much when I swallow so I try using an EarPopper. I use some Flonase also.

8. grate_biff
      In pain

grate_biff Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma using headphones
      I have periods of this as well, but it calms down in matter of minutes. More often it is the other way around.

9. just1morething
      Benevolent

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Yeah I seem to be pretty normal right now. Awakening tinnitus sure can be alarming. Maybe it would have quieted down without the diazepam?

• Like Like x 1
    10. Flamingo1

Flamingo1 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      4-15-2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Do you think riding your motorcycles might have something to do with it?

• Agree Agree x 1
    11. just1morething
      Benevolent

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I rode my motorcycle today and I'm fine. I usually take gabapentin plus diazepam and I quiet down. I have been wearing a custom made oral appliance when sleeping the last couple nights. I'm kinda busy today on a project so distraction seems to help too. Positive type thinking is always helpful also.

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/thread...hanges-in-brain-chemistry-and-the-body.28503/

• Like Like x 1
    12. Rugoba
      Ape-like

Rugoba Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Hello,

First time into his forum. Does anyone, just by chance, know if this treatment is useful for hyperacusis?

My hearing is actually pretty normal, with a slight decrease of 30 dB around 6000Hz, so still in the normal hearing area. But since I got hyperacusis because of acoustic trauma I developed tinnitus in my left ear over these 9 years. Not a terrible tinnitus, but along with the pain sensation, it feels debilitating.

13. Agatha

Agatha Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure
      I'm not sure it's useful for ANYTHING. Please save your hard earned money...

• Agree Agree x 2
    14. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      JohnAdams
      Festive

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      It has helped me tremendously. Don't pay any attention to the users that claim that it doesn't do anything. How could they possibly even know? There is a group of people on this site that have already made up their minds that there is no possible way this is legit. Also, they other user that tried this out, has had to have his hearing aids turned down, which may suggest that his hearing is improving as well. I'm getting have an appointment to get my hearing tested very soon, and shortly thereafter Glenn is having his hearing checked as well.

• Like Like x 5
    15. Rugoba
      Ape-like

Rugoba Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Thank you John,

I recently found out about PRP treatments, as some people used it for Meniere's disease, so I think it makes sense PRP is included in Dr. Shim's injection cocktail. I am really glad you benefitted from it and hope the best for Glenn as well.

Do you suffer from hyperacusis too? And the treatment helped you with it?

• Like Like x 1
    16. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      JohnAdams
      Festive

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Well, my hyperacusis has always fluctuated from being bad, to gone, seemingly totally randomly. Since my treatment it has been much better but I cannot for certain ascribe any change in my hyperacusis to it. I am leaning towards yes.

It's certainly not debilitating anymore. It was so bad for awhile that I couldn't even be around my child laughing and playing with toys. I look at it like this, there are no published trials regarding this treatment for hearing loss/tinnitus and that is a huge turn off for many people, with some going so far as to label this a scam, which it is certainly not. The more of us that try it out and share our results, the more validity it will or won't have depending on our experiences.

17. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      JohnAdams
      Festive

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sorry for my seemingly bad grammar and misspelling. I write many of my posts on my phone and the Android spell checker seems to have a mind of its own sometimes. I guess shame on me for not proof reading more.

18. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      JohnAdams
      Festive

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      There are several things that exist now that may drastically improve our situations.

These things include:
      FX-322
      Bone marrow/PRP
      IGF-1
      7,8 DHF
      NT-3
      BDNF
      and IT injections of dexamethasone for acute cases

We need to be demanding loudly that thorough research into these things happens ASAP. This stuff already exists and all have shown some evidence in helping to regenerate cochlear nerves and hair cells.

Unfortunately, the people that are central to tinnitus research really seem to me to have zero interest in these things and in some cases downplay them with no/bad evidence.

One example in particular is intratympanic injections of dexamethasone, a steroid that has shown effectiveness in restoring hearing in acute cases of hearing loss to restore hearing. The British Tinnitus Association has a mention of this on their website but the study they cite had patients that were years into their tinnitus and the studies that showed improvement were acute, just days to weeks into their situation.

The standard of care is to take oral steroids. Eardrum injections of steroids are much more effective and perhaps many of us would not be here today if that had been offered to us.

What I am saying is that the people that are running the tinnitus research world are not doing a good job and perhaps holding back progress.

For those of us with chronic hearing loss and tinnitus, we need to be loud about accelerating research into things like BDNF, NT-3, hair cell regeneration etc.

The treatment that Dr. Minbo Shim does could even be done now in America without further FDA approval. We need to be demanding progress.

• Agree Agree x 6
      • Winner Winner x 2
    19. Earing
      No Mood

Earing Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise
      I am trying some Apo-Prednisone 50mg for 5 days for my tinnitus and hearing loss and some hyperacusis. It all happened about 6-8 weeks ago. Am I on the right track? Should I go for a longer dose or oral dexamethasone? I have called to get my prescription filled for 2 weeks. I understand tapering is also recommended? My doctor said he doesn't know anything about this but is just giving me what I want.

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    20. dan26
      Frustrated

dan26 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      very bad concussion motorcycle accident
      Many vets suffer from tinnitus. I wonder how many actually complain to the VA and their reps in congress to get more money for research and finding a cure.

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    21. Artemis2K
      Kick ass

Artemis2K Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I had tinnitus for as long as I can remember. Got bad later.
      Did you look at the scientific papers provided by John and I that talk about the method used? The method does have some scientific credibility. We also now know from research that Shim's method isn't completely original.

I think it says a lot that there are multiple studies that have been done for growth factors alone that showed that nerves can be regenerated, and there have been plenty that have shown that they have regenerated ear nerves.

At the very least, the fact that it can help SSNHL has absolutely been proven, so to say that it can't help with anything is not true. I will give you the benefit of the doubt, and I think you are posting out of genuine concern. However, I am unsure if you've actually paid attention to the material that has been discussed. Your posts, from my view, haven't been very contributive to the conversation, and that makes me think you're not paying attention.

I do agree that people shouldn't waste their money. That's why it's important to do proper research before they make big decisions. I also would prefer it if people didn't go to South Korea and tried to find a way to do the treatment at home. It's a lot safer and less expensive that way. However, if there are no other alternatives, then in my opinion South Korea should be a consideration for in the future.

Also. Hi everyone. I've been kind of inactive lately. Life got busy. Hope everyone is well.

• Like Like x 2
    22. Jazzer

Jazzer Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      1/1995
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Keep banging the drum @JohnAdams
      (only not too loud) - you just might wake a few people up my friend.
      You’re a ‘mover!’

• Agree Agree x 4
      • Winner Winner x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    23. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      JohnAdams
      Festive

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I don't know. My research revolves around eardrum injections of dexamethasone.

24. just1morething
      Benevolent

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Do you have awakening tinnitus? That is my major problem... loud static like background noise. If I take diazepam plus gabapentin it usually calms down in an hour or two.

25. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      JohnAdams
      Festive

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Like loud tinnitus when I wake up?
      No.

26. ajc

ajc Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2002; spike 2009; worse 2017-18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music - noise damage
      @JohnAdams do you hear your tinnitus when you're outside in traffic? In what situations do you hear your tinnitus?

27. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      JohnAdams
      Festive

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Dead quiet rooms or with ears plugged only.

• Like Like x 1
    28. ajc

ajc Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2002; spike 2009; worse 2017-18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music - noise damage
      So no tinnitus basically, happy for you man.

Idea, could Shim give free treatment to 10 people?

29. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      JohnAdams
      Festive

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Well, I work in a very quiet office, and it bothers me sometimes. It's weird it will flare up sometimes usually around 12-2 PM but go back down. It's been that way for about 3 weeks and I hope that stops.

30. RaZaH
      Cheeky

RaZaH Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2012/04
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzo + loud noise
      Did you have that before the procedure? That is also my biggest gripe, horrible metal ringing head sensation always when I wake up, I would have the procedure just to get rid of that.