Stop Eating!

Discussion in 'Support' started by NiNyu, Aug 18, 2015.

1. NiNyu

NiNyu Member

Tinnitus Since:
      29/12/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      barotrauma? stress?
      I heard if you stop eating, T gradually lowers.

There's a story about a girl that suffered from severe T and once she changed her diet T disappeared; all together with her.
      She only drank silent water and ate a lot of greens to fill her little stomach, and some fruits. Of course by doing so she lost a lot of body weight. Became *pretty emaciated*, which is an oxymoron. Skin and bones. Weak as a dead leaf. But her T was *virtually* gone. She couldn't hear it anymore.
      ###
      I'm already a lean person so now I wonder if I should try this or not. What do you guys think?
      I mean, I've nothing to lose but weight, right? ^^

• Creative Creative x 2
      • Like Like x 1
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    2. marqualler
      Nerdy

marqualler Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection / Mild Noise Induced Hearing Loss
      @NiNyu That's an interesting story--is there a link to it somewhere online?

I have heard anecdotal evidence about changing ones diet helping to lower tinnitus, specifically in lowering consumption of food that is thought to facilitate inflammation (ex. food high in carbs, processed foods, etc.)

There is also a "juice cleanse" place near my work that I have thought about looking into. Again I've heard anecdotal evidence of it being a generally good thing to help reduce one's addiction to processed carbs.

My wife is pregnant and has gestational diabetes which means she is eating far less in processed carbs, which means I am as well, and I did notice a bit of tinnitus relief in doing that.

Of course, the power of french fries is extremely strong...

3. nills
      Barefooter

nills Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      I did several juice fasts and lived on raw foods for a whole year to cure myself from T ... it doesn`t help :(

what this way of deits and juicing does do is change your energy and mind set your self worth and spiritual energy ...

that alone is worth it i think.

If you really want to go ahead with this you are even better of with adding fast days into your week where you eat no more than 200 calories for 1 or 2 days a week ... this will bring a huge change in health. It will also create new pathways in your brain because the brain `thinks` it needs to be smarter to find the food it is missing on those fast-days and it will create new neural pathways ...

• Informative Informative x 1
    4. marqualler
      Nerdy

marqualler Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection / Mild Noise Induced Hearing Loss
      Good info--thanks @nills!

5. Richard zurowski

Richard zurowski Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      27/12/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection.
      Well different foods and diets have a huge bearing on tinnitus.

6. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      Paul Tobey who was a feature speaker for ATA for a time, a concert pianist who had struggled badly for a few years, is known for saying that his change of diet has led to his recovery from very intrusive T.

7. awbw8
      Balanced

awbw8 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2013
      I do not think "not eating" or eating so little that one becomes emaciated is ever a good solution to anything. Whether her diet was the sole cause of her perceived change in volume is also only circumstantial (I am assuming). I say this only because I would not want someone desperate to perhaps go out and develop an eating disorder to try and cure their tinnitus.

That said, eating a healthy, chemical-free/organic (especially important in the US where restrictions on chemicals in food are relatively lenient) diet (which includes greens and fruits, but also fats, carbohydrates, proteins etc.) has made my T easier to bear and less noticeable for me. But eating a really clean, healthy diet makes a lot of things easier for me and helps my stress/anxiety levels immensely. I also know a couple of people who have had volume reductions because of diet changes, however, their T was not caused by noise damage. I imagine if you T was caused by something like blood pressure/circulation, a chemical sensitivity or some kind of nutritional imbalance, then this might really help.

8. uae96
      Thinking

uae96 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/14/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Yes I believe a good diet that can benift brain and nervous system can definetly do something to tinnitus , when I first got it had moderate h and reactive t when I ate lots of vitamin b12 and6 Rich foods it got much better the reactivness and h is almost gone now and make sure to eat lots of fish and magnesium rich foods specially salmon fish really good for the brain and heart
      Keep in mind salmon can be very expensive )))

• Agree Agree x 1
    9. vasil

vasil Member

Tinnitus Since:
      July 2014
      I am currently trying to cut the gluten from my diet. I think it has some effect, but also can be placebo.

10. snow86
      Surrender

snow86 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      2006 - Extreme T since 12/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      see "information" on profile page. Crippled by extreme T
      • Funny Funny x 3
      • Hug Hug x 1
    11. Sailboardman
      Frustrated

Sailboardman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/21/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sensorineural hearing loss right ear.
      I eat a Mediterranean diet with primarily veggies, Salads, fish, some poultry, no red meat and some cheese once in awhile, whole grain pasta. Does It make a difference? Kinda doubt it. My T is from severe hearing loss, so eating habits, might not play a big role in lowering my T.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    12. Andrey

Andrey Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2015
      I am probably going slightly off-topic here but I would advise you to read some good trusted sourses before subjecting yourself to that - my understanding that juice is getting more and more bad reputation - it's too much quick sugar, fruits & veg as they are are just so much more healthy.

13. Martin69
      Artistic

Martin69 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      (Health) Anxiety
    14. dan
      Chatty

dan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      If your T is from hearing loss, changing diet will only have impact on your overall well being.
      If diet alone could cure T, why would we need drugs like AUT63.
      However if tinnitus is from psychological origins -stress, emotional trauma, etc, I could see diet and stress reduction have a positive lowering effect. This is true especially for people who say their T fluctuates greatly with stress, lack of sleep, etc. etc. i.e. psychological dependent.
      Some people have combined psychological and neurological tinnitus, so there could be some benefit in a better lifestyle. Curing T would be a longshot though.

• Agree Agree x 4
      • Like Like x 2
    15. Gosia
      Balanced

Gosia Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      earplugs/ hearing loss
      I would say a diet is definitely worth trying, but not as strict as you describe in the first post. A diet means eating normal amount of food but different one. What you described will lead to terrible consequences in the body forever due to lack of vitamins ( which can in itself cause T ) , minerals , hormonal unbalance which may never go back to normal. It's apparently good to starve from time to time and purify the organism. It's also better not to eat much in general (I remember watching a document saying mice in a lab which ate little lived much longer than those which ate more ), but not eating cannot become a way of life :/ I still don't have the balls to quit sugar , but otherwise I consider my diet healthy and I eat little ( around a 1000 cal) . Can't imagine eating even less. We all carry bacterias; viruses, parasites and often fungus in our organisms. Each of these can mess up with our brains and organs.

• Agree Agree x 1
    16. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      NiNyu

NiNyu Member

Tinnitus Since:
      29/12/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      barotrauma? stress?
      @marqualler, no there's no online link AFAIK. It is just a said story, which a friend mine told me. But this story has no *happy ending*. The girl eventually dies.
      @nills, I see, so it didn't work in your case. A pity. Or perhaps you still ate too much?
      @awbw8, you are cute. Always concerned about others. But I wouldn't mind having an eating disorder if T dissipates or becomes **mild** in the process. ^^ Anything but T IMO. And I mean it.
      My diet always has been top notch. My dad is a grand chef. So nutritional imbalance isn't applicable in my case. Perhaps, chemical sensitivity though or barotrauma, hit to the head, stress, sleep deprivation.

17. Sailboardman
      Frustrated

Sailboardman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/21/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sensorineural hearing loss right ear.
      @NiNyu,

Very cool your Dad is a Grand Chef. Then you know the value of a good healthy diet.

My friend is a master chef and he believes, a well balanced diet will give you all the vitamins and nutrients your body needs. He use to laugh at me, when I told him I took vitamin supplements. He said, "you're throwing your money away!"

• Agree Agree x 1
    18. Kathi
      Balanced

Kathi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/30/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      HFHL and stress
      At onset of my tinnitus I gave up sugar, caffeine, msg, salt, nicotine and whatever else my ENT said to give up. I lost 12 pounds in about a month and a half--partially because I had no appetite. I decided at five months to try to take back my life and added these things back to my diet. It didn't make a bit of difference. This is just my personal experience so don't take my opinion without a grain of salt. :) Tinnitus is different for us all--it's totally unpredictable--what may help one person won't help another.

• Like Like x 2
    19. uae96
      Thinking

uae96 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/14/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Why is that ? Sounds interesting

20. Gosia
      Balanced

Gosia Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      earplugs/ hearing loss
      I would also add checking allergies to food. Very often we don't realise we are allergic to sth, cause the symptoms may not be easy to observe on the outside. That's sth I'm about to do since 2013. Note that blood tests are not precise enough.