Stopped Eating Sugar, Dairy, Bread

Discussion in 'Support' started by Daveyrvancleef, Mar 20, 2017.

1. Alex Prime
      Anime

Alex Prime Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      From what I have read, diet does not affect T, no matter what they tell you...

2. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      This is the third time that I managed to forget about dairy foods having an impact on me. I bought some cheese. I ate it in the evening on Thursday and Friday. Both times, my T got more shrill and louder in the evening and the following morning (and got better as the day had progressed). Without a doubt, dairy foods have an impact on my T.

One poster above had suggested that dairy foods might impact mucus production
      https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/common-cold/expert-answers/phlegm/faq-20058015

I wonder whether making my mucus less thick would have a positive impact on my T. Not sure how I could achieve this.

Also, it is strange that mucus would influence T. Shouldn't it T depend only on brain neurons, by now? If the problem is with my ear (that can react to mucus)(Eustachian Tubes?), can't something be done to fix it?

Here are some posts by other people who had observed this link
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/thread...ears-or-eat-dairy-products.11427/#post-140393

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/my-tinnitus-is-reducing-in-volume.13393/#post-166273

(And here is Michael's take:
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/food-drink-and-tinnitus.12063/ )

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    3. Mellow7

Mellow7 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I too notice changes to my tinnitus after consuming dairy products. I also attribute it to the production of mucus and the impact it may have on my Eustachian tubes and middle ear (which chronically pop and crackle anyway). Yesterday, I had some Burger King, with some cheese on the burger and I also thought my tinnitus was more high-pitched and noticeable in bed tonight. That is not the first time. The only dairy I use nowadays is butter.

I looked it up and found one study dealing with diet and its possible influence on tinnitus: http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0114711.
      It seems, however, that the restults regarding dairy avoidance show the opposite. But:

• Useful Useful x 1
    4. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      The finding is that having T and eating dairy products are negatively correlated. Since correlation does not imply causation, there can be two interpretations. One of them is that people with T tend to avoid dairy products. This is consistent with those people finding out that consuming those products causes T spikes.

• Like Like x 1
    5. housemzk

housemzk Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Jan 18, 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      concussions, wisdom teeth removal, neck, jaw, stress, noise?
      For those that go the gluten and dairy-free route, I've tried a number of the food alternatives and have some recommendations:

DAIYA Foods make a really tasty dairy, gluten, and soy-free cheddar and mozzarella cheese alternative. I've tried a number of cheese alternatives and this is by far the best. Both taste just like cheese.

Mission gluten-free soft tortillas are fantastic. Combine with one of the cheeses mentioned above, along with a grilled meat and some chopped veggies and you have a nice snack. The tortillas are high in salt though.

Not as good, but does the job of a gluten-free bread - Whole Foods Gluten-Free Bakehouse All Natural Prairie Bread is a decent alternative as well if you're craving bread. The bread breaks rather easily, but tastes decent enough. I imagine there's something better but I haven't found it yet.

• Like Like x 1
    6. J.Hartog
      Worried

J.Hartog Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Life
      Thats not 100% true, there are definitley things that I can eat that make it worse. Like msg, caffeine, alcohol. Also it is dependable on the individual. If you have certain intolerance or sensitivities for foods or drinks you can spike your T.

If you are eating these things and cut them out your T could go down.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    7. Alex Prime
      Anime

Alex Prime Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Actually a little bit of beer or wine helps me with T and a cup of coffee doesn't harm... but I don't drink more than that anyway. I did decrease salt, though.