Subwoofer Type Tinnitus Sounds — Am I the Only One?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Rb86, May 26, 2020.

1. Rb86

Rb86 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      5/31/19
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Am I the only one who gets occasional subwoofer sounds? Very low end tinnitus sounds.

I kind of feel alone in that. It's in addition to my high pitched eeeee.

How does one get both due to acoustic trauma?

I've had it for a year and it's really just not fair. Sounds lame to say but it's just bothering me deeply.

• Agree Agree x 1
    2. HootOwl

HootOwl Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Explanation in About You
      I’ve had these very low subwoofer sounds too, but being on a low sodium diet for the last 2 months has completely eliminated most of them.

One that’s seems to be sticking around is a highly somatic one that I can hear if I move my neck up or to the side... but I’m glad to be rid of the others for right now.

Having both low and high frequency tinnitus sucks... I completely understand.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    3. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      Yup, I also got both constant high pitch and sporadic subwoofer.

• Like Like x 1
    4. Pink Noise
      Artistic

Pink Noise Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably headphones (Overear) coupled with age (sigh)
      Just got to over the last few days @HootOwl . Did yours subside?

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    5. Christiaan
      Inspired

Christiaan Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      2016: headphones, 2020: worsened thanks to Rammstein
      Mine are exactly the same! Does your subwoofer also only appear around morning & evening? It doesn't really add to the groove with my constant high pitch squeal

6. HootOwl

HootOwl Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Explanation in About You
      It did, and has returned. I'm 99% sure mine this time around is from Eustachian tube dysfunction. It was really bad in both ears about a month ago (after I stupidly breathed in too hard, which plugged up my ears something awful), and now it is gone in my right ear almost entirely.

Still in my left somewhat bad, but that left side of my face feels very congested and the nostril is extremely clogged. Can’t even really breathe out through it.

The few times my nostril has opened up the “boom boom boom” subsides. The sound is also highly somatic - I can cause it to get louder by even minuscule clenches of my jaw or ears. And if I’m talking or crying, it will thump very loudly with my jaw movement, Which would make sense since by doing these things I’m compressing my Eustachian tube even further.

But some good news! I don’t want to jinx it but I woke up today and the booming was less in my left ear. I hope to see it improve further if I give my left ear/nostril more time to unplug.

I did try Flonase to speed up the process, but apparently I’m one of the few people who’s allergic to an inert preservative in the spray. Yaaay... My entire lips turned numb for three days... so I have to let my nose decongest the old fashioned way which is just hard because it could easily take another several months to see more progress... sigh...

I might go back on Claritin, not sure yet. Was on it for 8 years with no problems so it might be a good alternative to nasal steroids.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    7. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      I do notice it more when I lay down, yes, but I'm not sure it's because it's more prevalent there. It may simply be because it's generally quieter when I lay down (bedtime).

Right now, for example, it's the middle of the day, and I do notice it's there if I pay attention to it.

• Like Like x 1
    8. Utopia

Utopia Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1997, then resolved til recent worsening
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert, Acoustic Trauma
      @HootOwl, I read in your profile that you have similar tones to what I hear - insane metallic bells, distortions, among other things. After a recent acoustic trauma. Can we please chat about how you cope? It's beyond overwhelming. I didn't see an option to send you a direct message. Thanks.

9. Pink Noise
      Artistic

Pink Noise Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably headphones (Overear) coupled with age (sigh)
      I have been using olive oil on my ears and I think i've screwed them up with it. :cry:
      I can hear the sub tone most of the time now. If I use musicians ear plugs it does stop it. I might try sleeping with the plugs in tonight to see if I can get a better nights sleep.

10. HootOwl

HootOwl Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Explanation in About You
      Olive oil in the ears or around the outside? Is it somatic in any way?

Don’t beat yourself up over the olive oil tho, the likelihood of that causing tinnitus is extremely low. Unless you had a perforated membrane and it somehow got into your middle ear, which I HIGHLY doubt is what happened.

11. HootOwl

HootOwl Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Explanation in About You
      I’m so sorry to hear you have the same thing. It’s fucking rough... you’re not alone tho.

I basically cope by telling myself that future regenerative medicine will help alleviate it, because tbh I can’t really live like this forever. If you want an optimistic coping strategy I unfortunately don’t really have one. I kind of just drift throughout the day and then go to sleep. It’s incredibly unfulfilling...

• Hug Hug x 2
    12. Ryan Jones
      Curious

Ryan Jones Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Maybe wood saw noise
      Yup, I get the deep sub woofer sound every once in a while. Honestly it’s kinda a welcome distraction from my contant high pitch T friend I have with me all the time.

13. Matchbox
      Wishful

Matchbox Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced, Prednisone (drones), Barotrauma (distortions)
      Nope, you aren't alone.

14. Matchbox
      Wishful

Matchbox Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced, Prednisone (drones), Barotrauma (distortions)
      Have things in the thudding department eased up for anyone here?

If my own voice would stop hurting my ears and the thudding would go, I could probably live with this even though distortions fucking suck.

15. HootOwl

HootOwl Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Explanation in About You
      Distortions truly do suck...I have them too, the worst ones now being within my own voice and it’s just... god there are no words...

I know exactly how you feel. If your thudding is ETD it will clear, but it could be a very slow process. I tried to speed it up with Flonase but had an allergic reaction so I had to wait a full 5-6 months. Patience is key here.

16. Leila
      Daring

Leila Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      1 chiropractic treatment, 2 and 3 no cause
      Two of my tinnitus noises are just like that; high frequency pitch and very low subwoofer like hum.

I know where the high pitched noise originated from (chiropractic treatment gone wrong) and have a theory, or more like an observation, when it comes to the low frequency hum, and I would like to know if maybe you have observed something similar in regards to your low tinnitus noise.

First of all, my low humming or buzzing noise is there all the time. However, I have noticed that over the course of the day it infrequently seems to get some kind of an extra kick.

This is what I have observed:
      I live next to a reasonably busy street. The house I live in is separated from the street by a pavement that is approximately 60cm / 2feet wide, so not very wide at all. When there is a steady stream of cars my humming sound remains pretty much the same. If there is an ebb to the cars, though, my tinnitus seems get spiked every once in a while for no obvious reason. However, half a minute / a minute after the spike there almost always is car driving by.

What I've been wondering is the following: Could it be possible that the rolling friction / the vibrations created by cars may travel along the surface material of a road (a bit like rails giving of a humming sound way before the actual train can be seen) and, because it is all connected: street, pavement, wall, create some kind of sonar wave that people who suffer from tinnitus are more likely to pick up on?

Maybe that's just me trying to find an explanation where nothing is to be found, but if somebody here has made similar observations, I'd be happy hear their thoughts. And everybody else's thoughts, too, of course :)

17. Kriszti

Kriszti Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2016/2017/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I'm a bit lost in translation, and I tried to look up subwoofer sounds on YouTube, but I may not hear that frequency anymore. When you say subwoofer, does it sound like there is a party in the distance when you can not actually hear the music, but the thumping/thudding of the bass rhythmically?