Suicidal

Discussion in 'Support' started by jeremy06, Oct 14, 2018.

1. Mathieulh
      No Mood

Mathieulh Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/24/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Chronic headphones use and acute noise induced trauma.
      I am not saying he shouldn't take Benzodiazepines, but he needs to be aware of the very serious side effects and he should try other treatments before resorting to Benzodiazepines, as I've said, it should be a last resort drug, if his GP didn't want to prescribe those to him, there had to be some reason as well.

• Like Like x 1
    2. PeteJ
      Aggressive

PeteJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma?
      You guys read that I asked my Dr if he would prescribe a benzo and he said no? Let me make it clear: I can't get a benzo from my family physician. :rolleyes:

3. PeteJ
      Aggressive

PeteJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma?
      Probably all the negatives you and others mentioned. I am not making a judgment or arguing against them at all. I value all the opinions and comments here. I am just guessing this Dr agrees with the negative perspective. I can't really share my contemplation of suicide. I don't know what the dr will do.

4. jay777

jay777 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      benzo/ headphones
      Show me where this is documented? You do not know what you're talking about. This could be the very thing that saves him and taking it for a week will do him no harm.

• Agree Agree x 5
    5. TheDanishGirl
      Sad

TheDanishGirl Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2017 (H since 06/2017)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      long term noise exposure (headphones), maybe some stress.
      I agree that he should try everything else first. But if he is at that point where he is ready to tie the noose and go ahead with finishing himself, then he needs something that with calm him down ASAP........and benzos may be the only thing that does that.

ALTHOUGH I would advise on trying his amitriptyline or mirtazapine first.....those can have a very strong drowsy effect and I have found that that also helps one to calm down somewhat (I am on mirtazapine myself).......it's hard to be real panicky and angsty while being knocked out to the point, where all you can think about is sleeping.

• Agree Agree x 1
    6. jay777

jay777 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      benzo/ headphones
      @PeteJ What country are you in bro?

7. Mathieulh
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      05/24/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Yes, I do know what I am talking about, do you? How about you do a 2 minutes search before posting?

Do you know how many YEARS it takes on average to taper off a chronic use of Benzodiazepines?

I shall add it is one of the family of drugs containing the most extensive list of side effects, including (but obviously not limited to), tinnitus. This is not something you or anyone should ingest lightly, someone who intents to use this drug should be plenty aware of the possible consequences this may bring.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benzodiazepine_withdrawal_syndrome

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7841856

https://www.sahealth.sa.gov.au/wps/...nagement/benzodiazepine+withdrawal+management

https://www.mind.org.uk/information...anquillisers/side-effects-of-benzodiazepines/

https://www.rxlist.com/benzodiazepines/drugs-condition.htm

https://www.webmd.com/mental-health/addiction/benzodiazepine-abuse

• Agree Agree x 2
    8. dayma
      Pacman

dayma Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1/6/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      UNKNOWN
      mirtazapine is really only sedative at 15mg and below. At 30 and above it’s general not. Most psychiatrists will start directly at 30mg. It’s one of the ADs that works differently the more you take.

9. just1morething
      Benevolent

just1morething Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      TMJ disorder, airplane barotrauma, noise exposure.
      I believe you could if you would let Dr. Shulman intervene and talk to your Doctor. You could get diazepam or clonazepam. With the opioid crisis Dr.'s are reluctant to prescribe benzos, but in your case they are needed ASAP. My recent psychiatrist talked to Dr. Shulman. I actually didn't think she would. It helped as he has some clout regarding treating tinnitus and realizes how seriously it can affect your mental state.

10. Contrast
      No Mood

Contrast Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      It's sad most tinnitus sufferers don't realize that it is literally stereotypical behavior for them to be benzo addicts.

I always find it pathetic and disheartening when I see everyone making the same predictable mistakes like failing into a benzo addiction trap and not learning from others experience. This forum helps us learn from each others mistakes but most don't use it that way.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
    11. dayma
      Pacman

dayma Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1/6/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      UNKNOWN
      Btw I do agree. You have to worry about the short term in these cases. Long term is really secondary.

• Agree Agree x 1
    12. Mathieulh
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      05/24/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I agree that mirtazapine is a much better option to try out first. If he has to take Benzodiazepines he needs to be aware that this is supposed to be taken during very short periods, the main issue is that because they do have a beneficial effect, short term, on the perceiveness of tinnitus, he may be tempted to start using Benzodiazepines chronically/more often, and he may start to build a tolerance and addiction very fast (Benzos are very addictive, some become hooked after less than a week at 0.5mg... when I said it's more addictive than Opioids, I don't exaggerate things).

While tinnitus will improve in the short term, this will only work until the tolerance builds up so high that the drug no longer holds any positive effect (depending on the dosage it can take a few years to reach that point), then the nightmare begins, as he will be forced to withdraw and it's the very harsh withdrawal symptoms that will get you, they do possibly (and likely) include (much) increased tinnitus perceiveness and new tinnitus noises which can last months AFTER being off the drug, which itself can take years of slowly tapering it off.

I shall add that Benzodiazepines is one of the few drugs for which withdrawal symptoms can be fatal (yes, you read that right, they can outright kill you, especially if you "cold turkey" after chronic use), that should give you a somewhat acute representation of the severity of these symptoms (which, shall I remind you, can last years), the faster you stop Benzodiazepines, the more severe the symptoms will be.

Benzodiazepines do have their uses, especially against depression, but they must only be used for a very short period and under strict supervision, unfortunately many (most) medical professionals are very keen on prescribing all kinds of pills for all kinds of ailments, most often irresponsibly, regardless of their long term side effects.
      "Having some back pain? No problem! Take this Oxycodone pill!"
      "Having too much Cholesterol? Here's some Statin!"

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    13. TheDanishGirl
      Sad

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I take 30 mg and it still has an effective drowsy effect on me.......mostly......Every now and then, I don't get the drowsy effect, for some reason, but that might be because I have been on it for nearly 2 years now, and I am building tolerance to it.

But in generel.....yes, it is said that doses under 30 mg are the best to get the drowsiness effect, so if I were Pete I would start at 15 mg, and build up from there if needed.

14. jay777

jay777 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      benzo/ headphones
      You are just showing me what can happen with long term dependency. Where is it documented that you get addicted in 2 days and you will have withdrawals?

• Agree Agree x 1
    15. Tinniger

Tinniger Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Uncertain, now very somatic, started with noise?
      When it comes to life or suicide, it is complete nonsense to warn of the addiction risk of benzodiazepines.

A dead person does not have any withdrawal problem.
      In individual cases it is irresponsible to withhold benzodiazepines from severely suffering people.

Does anyone have to make a suicide attempt first in order to receive effective medicine?

• Agree Agree x 7
    16. dayma
      Pacman

dayma Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1/6/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      UNKNOWN
      I am on 30mg myself and moving to 45mg. I was a mess at 15mg and 30mg was totally different. Such a weird AD. These drugs are also different per person. Sometimes you just need to try and see what works best for you.

• Agree Agree x 1
    17. Mathieulh
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      05/24/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I have talked to someone who had been desperate enough to ingest a large dose of Benzodiazepines in an attempt to kill himself so there is that. Thankfully and by some miracle, nothing bad and permanent happened (fun fact, Benzodiazepines are a very inefficient way to commit suicide).

If you do choose to somehow end it using medications, Benzodiazepines and Paracetamol are among the worst choices available, the first would likely fail to kill you (but may leave you crippled) and the other will kill you (short of getting an emergency liver transplant) in the most painful and agonizing way possible.

18. Bobbette

Bobbette Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      What I find outrageous is how in several European countries it is extremely difficult to get benzodiazepines prescribed even when you absolutely guaranteed would benefit from them.

They rather put you in a psychiatric ward and pump you up with antipsychotics like Quetiapine or Olanzapine.

The benzo fearmongering is harming patients.

• Agree Agree x 4
    19. TheDanishGirl
      Sad

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Don't know about that. Doctors in my country (Denmark) are very eager to prescribe them.

• Informative Informative x 1
    20. Mathieulh
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      05/24/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      It's surprisingly easy to get a Benzo prescription in France, I even have some Prazepam and Bromazepam at home (mostly because the GP put them on the script (on a use sparingly when/if needed basis) and the pharmacy/drug store just ended up giving those to me (we don't pay for pills here)), I haven't taken Benzodiazepines more than twice in my entire life though, because I know better.

• Funny Funny x 1
    21. jay777

jay777 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      benzo/ headphones
      A severe tinnitus sufferer should get any drug which may help, legal or otherwise.

• Agree Agree x 2
    22. Tinniger

Tinniger Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Uncertain, now very somatic, started with noise?
      Complete nonsense introducing paracetamol as a suicide drug here. Of course an overdose leads to a miserable liver failure.

Yes, of course benzodiazepines should not be prescribed carelessly. But, they are always better than a stay in a closed psychiatric ward after a suicide attempt...

23. TheDanishGirl
      Sad

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      What? Who in this thread did that. @Mathieulh wrote their a VERY BAD choice for suicide.

24. PeteJ
      Aggressive

PeteJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma?
      Canada aka another shithole country which neglects and ignores tinnitus sufferers including severe ones.

• Agree Agree x 1
    25. PeteJ
      Aggressive

PeteJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma?
      It doesn't work that way.

• Agree Agree x 1
    26. PeteJ
      Aggressive

PeteJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma?
      I make no stand either way. I didn't want any medication. But, the tinnitus is so loud.

I don't know if it will lower the noise but that is the only reason I am willing to try something. I don't think it will help me cope or relax but any bonus is welcome.

My doctor refused to give me a benzo after I suggested to try one.

I have had Ativan before.

27. PeteJ
      Aggressive

PeteJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma?
      What is your recommended treatment for severe tinnitus in which the phantom noise is super loud and high pitched?

Note: therapy does squat. I don't think there is one and people generally push drugs although doctors vary in what they are willing to prescribe.

I don't think there's anything else unless it is suicide.

28. TheDanishGirl
      Sad

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      You know what I think is pathetic? Making judgement of other people who are merely taking the means to save their life. I was a "benzo addict" for about a year and it quite possibly saved my life, so what's the wrong in that?

But I guess you think it's better that people just kill themselves, instead of trying whatever possible to stay alive, then......

• Agree Agree x 6
    29. Contrast
      No Mood

Contrast Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      Why won't the FDA allow people to try experimental therapies to treat cochlear neuropathy such as NT-3 and BDNF injections in the cochlea or the Lenire device?

The science is optimistic, the regulations aren't.

30. jay777

jay777 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      benzo/ headphones
      I am from england sounds like the same system benzo phobic and CBT cures all.

• Agree Agree x 1