Suicide Is NEVER an Option

Discussion in 'Support' started by Bobbie7, Jun 15, 2017.

1. TuneOut

TuneOut Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Worsened 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert
      Why not?

2. Sen
      Caffeine

Sen Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      dunno
      About 2 years now.

Yes I have. I spent the first 2 years in near total silence whenever I could manage it, and the 3rd year I only listened to sound enrichment during the day while I was awake, and would sleep in silence.

24/7 sound enrichment is often recommended for people with sound sensitivity.

Because I haven't been prescribed them. When I was a teenager, they tried multiple different types of antidepressant to treat my generalized anxiety and a depression I had been going through. I had a very bad emotional reaction to all of them, and they determined I was incompatible with them.

More recently, when I saw a psychiatrist, he decided that I didn't need them. My history was likely factored into this decision.

I'm not interested in taking them anyway.

3. Wojtek Kalka
      Badass

Wojtek Kalka Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Very loud concert.
      To the topic ..

Damn what wrong with some humans, why do many great people like YOU want kill themselves or thinking about about it . Chester Bennington just hanged himself ..so sad ... ladies and gentleman .. . STAY AWAY FROM SUICIDE AND THOUGHTS of it IMHO .. it is such a shitty way out .. really big nonsense, .... well I take it back ..............if you are a shitty person that does bad to other people like for example tons of religious leaders, some politicians etc ... please kill yourself .... Interesting is that really horrible people do never think about suicide .. often nice and gentle ones ... well you guys know my opinion don't whine about it .... take it or leave it ..

Suicide is never an option .. and I do not make your Tinnitus down .. I know it can be horrible and a life time torture .. well deal with it .. :)

There are people out there who help you ... if you accept it

Any I agree with the opinion ... why do people keep opening threads that already exists ...

4. TuneOut

TuneOut Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Worsened 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert
      Interesting. How were your ears during each of these three periods?

That's an easy fix.

I tried a bunch of them on and off throughout my youth, too. Finally, settled on a particular one.

Lol

You sound pretty depressed to me. Locked in a cycle of despair and hopelessness. That doesn't mean you automatically need drugs, though. You do need something and that something must not be the same old thing.

How depressed are you? Maybe you should give them another shot. Drastic times call for drastic measures.

5. Sen
      Caffeine

Sen Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      dunno
      My ears were at their worst during the initial 2 years. At their best during the middle 1-2 years, and for the past year have been worsening again (many ups and downs). These phases follow my use of benzodiazepines more closely than my use of sound enrichment.

6. Zenyatta
      Depressed

Zenyatta Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2012/2017(spike)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown/Ear-tooth infection
      No offense, but 1: it clearly is an option, Chester has just provided an example and 2: you're actively choosing to participate in these threads and telling everyone it's stupid... what are you hoping to achieve? I've started looking up lawyers and making sure my will is legally perfect, and I'm also looking at urns I want to buy so my family doesn't have to spend money on some gaudy shit that I wouldn't like anyway. Telling us that it's stupid and not an option over and over again is not doing helping, the only thing it does is make you look like you're enjoying kicking people who are already down. This is not going to inspire anyone into staying alive.

• Agree Agree x 4
      • Winner Winner x 2
    7. TuneOut

TuneOut Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Worsened 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert
      I hear you. The benzos giveth and the benzos taketh away.

• Agree Agree x 1
    8. Telis

Telis Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      These people are twisted and sick. Slamming people that are caught in a desperate position to make themselves feel/appear superior is totally f cked up. This is truly as low as you can get in life, scum of the earth individuals.

9. Sen
      Caffeine

Sen Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      dunno
      Anti-depressants too, though. There is no free lunch in medicine.

• Agree Agree x 3
    10. vermillion
      Whistles

vermillion Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Fluconazole
      My tinnitus is getting more intrusive and so my life becomes more limited. We do not suffer everybody from the same type of tinnitus. All the people I know personally with tinnitus are doing perfectly fine. They keep going to loud places etc. no life changes. My condition seems totally different. Sound reactivness,loudness, sleep deprivation etc. It's a kind of progressive disability. I don't believe in habituation when this is severe. I'll take care of some things during this year and I will probably commit suicide when this reach to the totally unbearable level. Unfortunately it seems that I belong in the minority. I am not happy anymore and there's no real help. It's just the way it is.

• Hug Hug x 5
      • Like Like x 2
    11. Artazanasss
      Caffeine

Artazanasss Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2016/09
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced hidden hearing loss and acoustic trauma
      Suicide is always an option it should be a last resort,but suicide not being an option is a scary though.

Hyperacusis,tinnitus and hearing loss took everything for me literally everything my job,my confidence,my self respect,good looks since i have to be on anti depressants and gained a ton of weight because of them all of my life quality i can't even listen to music because it sounds so distorted can't enjoy my favourite TV shows because everything sounds so muffled in general i can't get any enjoyment out of life anymore.

And this horrible bullshit jut adds up to the torture life has put me throught in the last 6 years i experienced my father dying a sudden death,my dog dying,my sister husband i knew since childhood who was like the brother to me commiting suicide it's one tragedy after another and yes i count my hearing loss,tinnitus and hyperacusis as one of the biggest tragedies of my life.
      I have very small disability payment since i can't support myself anymore and after my mother dies i will likely become homeless.So what do i have to life for exactly?

I'm tired of suffering i just want eternal peace and to sleep forever no more suffering no more death of my family members no more distorted hearing no more tinnnitus i plan to do it within the next year it's unfortunate that inner ear hair cell restoration is too far away since it could have saved me and i can't wait another 5-10 years living like this.

• Hug Hug x 7
      • Agree Agree x 3
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    12. Lorac

Lorac Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sudden profound hearing loss in left ear.
      Suicide is an option. I lost all hearing in my left ear four years ago. My deaf ear filled with pain and tinnitus, and my deaf ear started reacting to every sound my good ear hears. I lost my ability to play music. My occupational and social life took a huge hit. Suicide was definitely an option.
      I chose to live. I could not choose to live my normal life. I had to choose and embrace my broken, abnormal life. My life is different - not as good, but it's mine. Having the option to die actually helps me to cope with living because at least, I have a choice. Suicide is an option.

• Agree Agree x 7
      • Hug Hug x 1
    13. Sen
      Caffeine

Sen Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      dunno
      Which one did you settle on?

What is your tinnitus like? Do you have hyperacusis? Any related symptoms?

14. TuneOut

TuneOut Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Worsened 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert
      Hi Sen. I've been on Nardil, an MAOI, for a few years. It's a pretty strong drug. It's very effective but has side effects. I'd prefer not to be on any medications.

T has been kinda bad lately, to be honest. Dealing with a large spike right now and hoping it's not permanent. I have very reactive tinnitus or hyperacusis or whatever.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    15. TuneOut

TuneOut Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Worsened 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert
      @Sen

Antidepressants can make a big difference. They can really help pull someone out of a rut or spiral of negative thinking and hopelessness. There are risks involved, either way.

• Agree Agree x 2
    16. Sen
      Caffeine

Sen Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      dunno
      I'm reluctant, because I have a very long history of difficulty with psychiatric medication. I'm sensitive to meds in general, but psychiatric meds really take a toll on me. I'm worried I'll become dependent on it and get "paxil poopout" 5 years down the road. It's for these same reasons that I don't want to continue taking benzos.

17. TuneOut

TuneOut Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Worsened 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert
      What problems have you experienced with antidepressants?

18. Sen
      Caffeine

Sen Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      dunno
      Severe anxiety, obsessive thoughts, aggressive suicidal thoughts, and insomnia, from what I can remember.

But my post wasn't about my experience with antidepressants. It was about my experience with psychiatric medications in general. I also expressed concern over "poop out" and consecutive withdrawal which tends to actually be very common and not at all pleasant.

In addition, I have concerns about side effects.

• Like Like x 1
    19. Christophe_85
      Alone

Christophe_85 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      November 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure...
      Even if I don't want to die, I "have to" think about it because of this constant ringing in my ears... :(

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Hug Hug x 1
    20. attheedgeofscience
      No Mood

attheedgeofscience Member Podcast Patron Mighty Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Resolved since 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown (medication, head injury)
      • Like Like x 3
      • Winner Winner x 1
    21. Lex
      Blah

Lex Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bad decisions
      I find it sad that he gave up only after 12 weeks of T and H. But then again, I don't know just how bad he had it and what else he had going on in his life. Three months of non-stop torture is still horrible regardless of his other circumstances. I'm sure it didn't help when doctors told him to just live with it. That's one of the worst things to hear.

Anyway, I hope he already found his peace.

• Agree Agree x 6
    22. slipware
      Bookworm

slipware Member

Tinnitus Since:
      I live near him, there is NO support locally. None.... we are on our own.

• Hug Hug x 2
    23. Pomme
      Crappy

Pomme Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concerts and Stress
      Further details can be found here.

http://www.northamptonchron.co.uk/n...e-following-12-week-tinnitus-battle-1-8188561

It does appear to be linked to a British Tinnitus Association 'Share your Sound' campaign to raise awareness amongst doctors and other medical professionals about how debilitating tinnitus truly can be.

As much as I applaud the BTA for trying to promote such a message, I still feel we are many many years away from finding effective treatments for All levels of tinnitus & related conditions. :(.

• Like Like x 3
    24. Pomme
      Crappy

Pomme Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concerts and Stress
      Sadly that appears to be quite common in the UK these days. The NHS has stepped away from using TRT nationally and it appears to be only available in selective areas. I have an appointment with ENT in a few weeks and am waiting for the dreaded 'You'll just have to live with it' speech. I'm really not sure what I will do if I hear that. It scares me.:(

• Hug Hug x 1
    25. brownbear

brownbear Member

Tinnitus Since:
      July 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sudden sensorineural hearing loss ? cochlear hydrops
      Another very sad story about someone with seemingly no prior history of depression who had their life ruined by tinnitus. Whilst it is often said that severe sufferers have a history of prior depression/anxiety this is definitely not the rule (it wasn't for me, I was as happy as Larry before!).

The difficult thing about T though seems to be the fact that in order to habituate you have to convince yourself that it isn't such a big deal. In my case a gradual reduction from catastrophic to terrible to very bad to bad to very annoying to annoying and so on. I'm stuck at annoying.

There can't be many conditions where taking it very seriously, trying everything to make yourself better, protecting yourself, etc makes it harder for you to get better rather than easier. It's a cruel irony.

• Agree Agree x 3
    26. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Can you elaborate on what you mean by that? Is it just that your tinnitus tends to be better while on benzos, and worse when off again, or is there more to it than that? Do you believe that benzos are connected to the severity or worsening of your tinnitus?

27. Sen
      Caffeine

Sen Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      dunno
      Benzos improve many of my symptoms, including hyperacusis, tinnitus and my facial symptoms. I never had facial symptoms in the first year or so, though, they started after I tapered benzos in 2013, so it's possible they were initiated or caused by benzodiazepine withdrawal.

I went back on benzos in early 2014, and my facial symptoms went away. Now that I'm coming off of benzos again, they're returning.

28. Core2Duo

Core2Duo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Is an option according to the severity.

• Agree Agree x 3
    29. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Bobbie7
      Wishful

Bobbie7 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Extreme stress, sinus infection
      So.... when you hear of a suicide and listed is tinnitus as the cause... ever so seldom... THIS is what you focus on???
      Why don't you try to conduct some sort of survey or find information on the percentage of those who have tinnitus who have actually gone and committed suicide??? Sure.. when people are first faced with this interloper, of course, they are in extreme emotional turmoil and don't have any coping mechanisms with which to deal and this is why support forums/groups such as TT exist.

Every so often we hear of someone ending their life and tinnitus is the culprit but we can not say this is the norm... because, in fact, it is not. Each life is complex and there are countless reasons why people choose to commit the ultimate act of self-destruction but it seems those others who don't have tinnitus who committed suicide are not highlighted at all.

Yes, ALL of us would surely welcome a cure but until that day comes... we should do our very best to encourage those who despair that given time, hopefully it will get better - for most will habituate if patient enough. Life is precious and soon enough we will all perish - why rush it? Of course I understand that for some it can be unbearable and habituation seems impossible but when I read some of the stories by our esteemed members and the way they have triumphed over their horrible tinnitus.. I feel there must be hope.

• Like Like x 1
      • Creative Creative x 1
    30. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      It can't be THAT precious when one has debilitating tinnitus.

• Agree Agree x 8