Surgical Tinnitus Procedure

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Bill Fellows, Jan 25, 2018.

1. Bill Fellows

Bill Fellows Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6 months
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown ??
      I would like to know if anyone has a Doctors contact for the surgical tinnitus procedure Severing the nerve to the brain ? I understand there is some success with this and would like to find a Physician to facilitate this procedure for me. The constant headaches and high pitched ringing is unbearable for me...if you can help me thank you !

Bill Fellows
      Kingston Ont. Canada K7P0K3

2. InfiniteLoop
      Relaxed

InfiniteLoop Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/21/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      High frequency hearing loss in left ear from head trauma (?)
      @Bill Fellows

That kind of surgery is not common for just plain T. There are old studies, and in many cases the result was more T rather than eliminating T. It is a very risky proposition. The fact that this surgery has low success rate is used as one of the foundations that T is a brain problem that might be initiated by suppression of the auditory input signal.

• Agree Agree x 2
    3. Jan64

Jan64 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise
      By cutting the 8th nerve the auditory cortex will be less (or just not) stimulated. And that is just the cause of tinnitus... I strongly advice against the suggested procedure!

• Agree Agree x 2
    4. Jake007

Jake007 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      hearing loss for long time, chainsaw, infections
      I'll second everything the above posters just said. My audiologist told me about a guy that was fed up with it and had his cut. It moved from his ear to his head (brain tinnitus). I strongly recommend you don't do it.

• Agree Agree x 1
    5. Bobby B
      Fine

Bobby B Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Large caliber rifles&machine guns, +30 years of loud clubs
      The study showed that a small majority had their T silenced or greatly diminished but the risk is high to be part of the deaf large minority without possibility of masking it

6. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      I wouldn't have the nerve cut as you can still have tinnitus and lost your hearing also.
      I would look in to trying hearing aids as really help my sever bilateral tinnitus.
      Love glynis x