The Decline of American Tinnitus Association's (ATA) Tinnitus Today Magazine

Discussion in 'Awareness & Fundraising' started by Luman, Aug 15, 2020.

1. Luman
      Benevolent

Luman Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Intermittent Tinnitus probably noise induced
      The official publication of the American Tinnitus Association (ATA) is Tinnitus Today. I used to subscribe, but eventually lost interest and didn't renew, because it became very repetitive.

Today, perhaps a year after I received my last issue before the subscription died out, I received what I assume is a complementary copy, which contains a request for financial support.

I don't like to complain about a freebie, but something is very wrong when a magazine that I had previously recommended, has sunken to new lows. This issue,Vol. 45, No.2, Summer 2020, has actually done this. The theme of this issue is, "Lifestyle Choices That Can Limit the Impact of Tinnitus", which can be found online, for free.

Aside from general tinnitus related articles such as how to exercise, by a personal fitness coach, tinnitus and hearing loss, diabetes and tinnitus, COVID-19 and tinnitus, etc., and a completely misnamed article, "Can Marijuana Decrease Tinnitus Distress", which had not a single mention of tinnitus distress in it, and nothing of value in the rest of the piece other than the usual conclusion that more research needs to be done, to study whether marijuana is a help, or hindrance, to tinnitus.

When I saw the name of tinnitus therapist Julian Cowan Hill listed, I thought that perhaps it was an expose of his claims to be able to relieve tinnitus through some kind of pseudoscience known as craniosacral massage, which naturally is very expensive and requires in-person visits. Instead, he is treated like a legitimate tinnitus therapist and expert. His current article isn't bad, about reducing stress due to tinnitus. The skull quackery isn't mentioned, the article is likely just bait, for desperate people who are willing to pay for just about anything that might help them, including methods that are unproven and not recommended by any legitimate medical authorities or organizations.

I used to recommend this magazine, and although there's a few good articles to be found in this issue, the inclusion of an article by a known quack is clearly an indication that the organization has lost some of its integrity.

• Like Like x 6
      • Informative Informative x 3
    2. Gabriel5050
      No Mood

Gabriel5050 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure (most likely)
      This Julian Cowan Hill guy is a big time thief and scammer. The things I would say about him aren't really appropriate, so I won't say them. Just screw him. I rated his app one star on the Google Play Store.

• Agree Agree x 3
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Luman
      Benevolent

Luman Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Intermittent Tinnitus probably noise induced
      How the ATA could sink so low as to print an article by him, is mind boggling. Perhaps he is a generous donor to the organization.

If anybody who is associated with the magazine is reading this, and would like to offer a rebuttal, please feel free to do so.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Craniosacral_therapy

4. DaveFromChicago

DaveFromChicago Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Headcold/Flu
      Thanks ever so much, Luman. I am seriously considering composing an E-Mail letter to be sent to the Editor-in-Chief of ATA magazine.

In recent months I have mentioned that in two of Julian Cowan Hill's videos he said that when the words LOVE and HATE were written on tape and affixed to the exterior of a steel cooker, the force contained in the meaning of these words penetrated the cooker and actually changed the molecular configuration of the substances inside (the examples he gave were rice and ice).

This is fully tantamount to the practices of phony psychics who promise that if you send them money they will tell you what the winning lotto numbers will be.

I may also briefly notify them of some of his other egregiously, laughably pseudoscientific pronouncements and recommend that they visit this site and read Corinna's lengthy "Bad Experience With Julian Cowan Hill" commentary.

In conclusion, I will state taking Julian Cowan Hill seriously indicates a shameful absence of scientific professionalism. Such worthless, unresearched reportage that can only serve to misdirect readers such that I cannot in good conscience ever consider being a subscriber.

• Agree Agree x 3
    5. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      I liked reading your post Luman and thank you.

I stopped subscribing to the BTA Quiet magazine for very similar reasons to your own.

• Like Like x 2
    6. ajc

ajc Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2002; spike 2009; worse 2017-18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music - noise damage
      • Informative Informative x 1
    7. DaveFromChicago

DaveFromChicago Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Headcold/Flu
      Thanks ever so much, ajc for providing this:

Nearly every article has some sort of questionable, obvious (to the point of being stupefyingly banal) recommendations without any real scientifically established content. So much of it resembles the trite, unserviceable nonsense espoused by Julian Cowan Hill.

I pray and so fervently hope that a real treatment is made available so that this entire industry of grifting charlatans and jackanapes will disappear the way the Oz's Wicked Witch of the West did.

• Agree Agree x 2