The 'Love Hormone' (Oxytocin) May Quiet Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Research News' started by Tim Hogan, Sep 23, 2016.

1. Uklawyer

Uklawyer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Medication - antidepressants
      @ploughna, sorry to hear about the setback - hopefully it will not be long-lasting and the next attempt on Oxytocin will prove fruitful.

To be clear: you are now trying Oxytocin individually, and not as part of the trial, right? And the trial is ongoing and blinded?

2. ploughna

ploughna Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      motor racing and power tools
      @Uklawyer, that's correct, I'm having my prescription filled this week so will start on it again shortly. And, yes, I believe the trial is still ongoing. I say this because my detailed results are not yet available to the researchers.

3. Uklawyer

Uklawyer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Medication - antidepressants
      @ploughna, thanks. Just a quick one: if the study is ongoing, how do you know that you were given the Oxytocin? (Perhaps I am missing something, but I thought that, in blind studies, the participant did not know what they were getting — unless they reveal results to individuals as they finish?)

• Like Like x 1
    4. ploughna

ploughna Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      motor racing and power tools
      For the first half of the study, everyone is given Oxytocin. For the second half, it's 50% placebo and 50% Oxytocin.

5. Lurius
      Wishful

Lurius Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      September 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Valsalva maneuver
      @kuromi, tagging you because I think you may find this very interesting.

Ok, so I spoke to Dirk De Ridder this morning. I got a lot of very interesting information, he answered all my questions and I feel enlightened.

He recommended some stuff for me. One of the things he mentioned was Oxytocin. He referred to a study in Brazil. He would not normally recommend it, because it doesn't really work, except for in a particular circumstance. That circumstance is "people with autism", which I happen to have. It works on people with autism. I have an appointment with my doctor tomorrow, I'm testing for a genetic condition called hemochromatosis. I will ask my doctor for a prescription for Oxytocyin and then I will use it for 1 month. He said it may give me some serious relief. I feel hopeful about this.

• Like Like x 2
    6. Christiaan
      Inspired

Christiaan Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      2016: headphones, 2020: worsened thanks to Rammstein
      Count me in @Lurius :) I'm also a proud member of the Auti club. Thanks for taking some time to talk to Dr. De Ridder about this issue.

Anyway, did Dr. De Ridder provide a reason why people with autism are more susceptible to Oxytocin? It seems super interesting.

I hope your doctor knows how to fix hemochromatosis. From what I've read on Wikipedia, it sounds rather serious.

• Like Like x 1
    7. Lurius
      Wishful

Lurius Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      September 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Valsalva maneuver
      If I had known you had autism, I would have tagged you as well. There aren't that many of us, we need to look out for each other. I seriously recommend that you try Oxytocin, it may work for you. Nothing is guaranteed in life, but I'm seriously going to try this. It's a hormone, not a drug, so the risk is very low. I think the worst thing that can happen is that you might feel clogged in the nose.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    8. Christiaan
      Inspired

Christiaan Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      2016: headphones, 2020: worsened thanks to Rammstein
      It's totally alright @Lurius, it's not like as if I'm walking around with ''autism'' tattooed on my forehead (though it has crossed my mind to put something like that on my arm) ;)

After reading your story, I've decided to go down this route as well. Tomorrow morning, I'll give my GP a call and ask her about this.

But again, thanks for sorting this out. Hopefully, we'll figure it out asap if it works!

9. Isabella 123
      Curious

Isabella 123 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably traumatic noise event
      @ploughna, are you still doing the Oxytocin Rx? Would love to hear an update from you.

My tinnitus is like yours, very unpredictable. Mine is caused by dysfunctional Glutamate neurotransmitter re-uptake system so the volume goes up unbearably sometimes depending on what I’ve eaten... something that contains Glutamate that I wasn’t aware of. So I’m not sure this is going to help me. But my point was, that I know how horribly frustrating it is to have a couple of “good” days and wake up with a shrieking head.

10. paul mclean

paul mclean Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      falling asleep with headphones in on loud
      I'll be doing 2 months of Oxytocin therapy soon. Will post results once I'm done with my experiences.