The 'Love Hormone' (Oxytocin) May Quiet Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Research News' started by Tim Hogan, Sep 23, 2016.

1. ploughna

ploughna Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      motor racing and power tools
      It began in 2017, increased in 2018 but was stable, then accidental noise exposure in 2020 put me over the edge - much louder, highly reactive and unpredictable. Before this, I was well habituated but now find that impossible.

I do need to stop the treatment and see what happens in case I'm simply seeing some natural improvement over time, but haven't had the courage to do so yet!

• Informative Informative x 1
    2. InNeedOfHelp

InNeedOfHelp Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      MRI Scan
      I fully understand. Tough choice. You do have the chance to go back on the medicine in case you stop. Going from 1 out of 3 bad, barely functioning days to 1 out of 10 (10%) seems like a great improvement. Gives me hope that I can one day too can make such improvements, with or without medicine. Eager to see the study results. This is one of the least invasive medicinal treatments in the pipeline.

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. ploughna

ploughna Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      motor racing and power tools
      I did keep a daily severity log for approx a year which covers before/after starting with this. When I get a chance, I'll put it into a spreadsheet and see if it shows any meaningful insights. I stopped tracking recently though as it was just another reminder of the unfortunate situation I (along with everyone else on here) is. I keep telling myself the same about this website and I should try and stay away, but the Research News section is an excellent source of information.

• Like Like x 3
    4. InNeedOfHelp

InNeedOfHelp Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      MRI Scan
      So this trial closed yesterday.

With only 41 participants I expect results being published not to take years. Not sure if you need additional phases after this, I assume not. Only the formulation is different, the active ingredient remains the same.

The principal investigator is Lawrence Newman from NYU Langone. Did anyone ever reach out to him to learn what the timelines are, and if a new FDA approval is required?

I'm excited because the first two trials both showed a reduction in tinnitus of roughly 20-30%, and also the placebo controlled trial. This might be the bridge to overcome the gap towards the Auricle device.

• Agree Agree x 1