The 'Love Hormone' (Oxytocin) May Quiet Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Research News' started by Tim Hogan, Sep 23, 2016.

1. Gb3

Gb3 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL
      Right, because of the patent. I would do what @ploughna told you to do.

2. Travis Henry
      Cynical

Travis Henry Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      1 Moderna Vac, Noise and stress I guess, its killing me
      I found a compounding pharmacy near me that said they had it. If I can get a doctor to prescribe it, they could make it up for me? Or they couldn't because of the patent?

So either way it won't be available because of the patent?
      So if I find a doctor that would prescribe it, I could get the proper formulation made at my compounding pharmacy?

3. Nick47

Nick47 Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Viral/noise
      I see this going absolutely nowhere. Another small trial, dubious location and study. Sounds ridiculous.

• Hug Hug x 1
    4. Gb3

Gb3 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL
      Dubious location? New York University Medical? You serious bro?
      @Travis Henry, I'm not trying to be rude but I told you, you should call the clinical trial location and ask them. The compounding pharmacy wouldn't have access to the exact same formula.

• Agree Agree x 3
    5. David1260

David1260 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      My doctor and I have tried 5 different supplements in an attempt to make my tinnitus tolerable.

After finding a link to this study on Oxytocin and tinnitus, I sent it to my doctor and asked him if I could try this.

He prescribed it from a compounding pharmacy. I take 3 sprays a day. I find it reduces the tinnitus to a level where it doesn't bother me. I am so pleased at the result, as I had been suffering with tinnitus.

• Winner Winner x 6
      • Like Like x 2
      • Helpful Helpful x 2
    6. Adam0309

Adam0309 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Hi @David1260.

That’s great to hear. I would like to try this. Which Oxytocin spray exactly are you using? Did you need a prescription, or am I able to get this OTC?

Many thanks,
      Adam

• Good Question Good Question x 2
    7. David1260

David1260 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      What part of "he prescribed it" are you confused by?

• Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
    8. Lane

Lane Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Single 25 mg dose of (anticholinergic) drug Promethazine
      My understanding is that some products can be prescribed, but can also be bought OTC. I think Adam's question is legit. I'm interested in whether it can be purchased OTC as well, perhaps from a reputable online pharmacy. I hate going to doctors begging for a prescription.

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Funny Funny x 1
    9. David1260

David1260 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      As I understand it, OTC and Rx are distinct statuses--never the twain shall meet. Complicating life, the spray requires refrigeration, so shipping needs to deal with that...

• Informative Informative x 1
    10. InNeedOfHelp

InNeedOfHelp Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      MRI Scan
      That's great to hear. Are you following the study protocol or your doctor's normal protocol?

Could you confirm that you are using the high dose (45IU/45 units of 0.1 mL for 38 ML) or the standard dose?

The study protocol is 4 times a day, you are doing 3 times a day. Is that also based on your doctor's recommendation?

As you can read above, the studies are using a "patented" compound.

Thanks and good to hear you have some improvement.

• Good Question Good Question x 4
    11. DaveFromChicago

DaveFromChicago Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Headcold/Flu
      I ordered Oxytocin through eBay. The posting assures that this spray is the real, unadulterated deal.

I'm like the gold prospector who has never found a vein but nonetheless never stops prospecting.

I'll report on whether I received any improvement (it will take 4-6 days for delivery).

Amusingly, the Ad shows a barely clad Babe and Stud embracing in hot foreplay.

If it does nothing more than me horny, then the end (the purchase) will still justify the means (and it is less than $40.00).

• Like Like x 2
      • Funny Funny x 2
    12. Bambam0
      Cool

Bambam0 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      2/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Rock 'n Roll
      @David1260, appreciate if you can share the dosage! Any thoughts on what caused your tinnitus?

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    13. Nick47

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Viral/noise
      The standard Oxytocin will do zero. It's a patented formula that needs storing at low temperature.

• Like Like x 2
    14. Diego LR

Diego LR Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unkown
      What is the actual formula or where can I find it?

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    15. Nick47

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Viral/noise
      You can't find it as it's protected by a 'patent'.

• Like Like x 1
    16. JRC1

JRC1 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      medication
      What is the status of this trial? Is Dr. Newman retired? Is another doctor going to publish results?

17. DaveFromChicago

DaveFromChicago Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Headcold/Flu
      I recall that a few years ago this was announced by a lab in Sao Paulo as being the real, potential breakthrough cure. It was briefly reported on by the News Media, and then never heard from again. Were the results frankly no more than placebo - generated? I'm curious about why, if this is in fact a breakthrough treatment, every ENT Doctor seems to still maintain that there is nothing that can be done about this.

However, thanks very much @David1260 for piquing my curiosity, and converting me into being a Man On A Mission. This is one avenue that may have greater potential than all of the other Quack Supplements I have tried.

I verified that my local pharmacy is in fact a "compounding pharmacy". The question remains, can my Primary Care Doctor prescribe this, or do I have to go to an ENT or a Psychiatrist?

What @David1260 has that I cannot find is a Doctor who is willing to take the time to experiment with several substances. Like @Lane, I also hate going begging to a Doctor for a prescription; most have been so arrogant that they have shut me down for proposing a method that they were not aware of, and utterly uninterested in trying anything further.

• Like Like x 2
    18. Travis Henry
      Cynical

Travis Henry Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      1 Moderna Vac, Noise and stress I guess, its killing me
      ;(

Drug: Oxytocin

The investigational product, oxytocin nasal spray (45 units/0.1mL for 38mL) is composed of: oxytocin powder (0.3080g), magnesium chloride crystals (2.3100g), citric acid anhydrous gran. (0.1080g), sodium citrate powder (2.1500g), sterile water for irrigation (38.000mL), and Pcca Mucolox liquid base (3.8000mL). Subjects will be asked to self-administer the study medication with 1 puff in one nostril 4 times per day

Other Name: Pitocin

This ain't it?

• Helpful Helpful x 2
      • Useful Useful x 1
    19. Watasha
      No Mood

Watasha Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I've exchanged emails with one of the researchers. They said that first impression study 1 was good, but results of study 2 controlled were not that good. I replied to that but never received a response. Study 1 showed progress over an extended period of time (10 weeks) while study 2 was a 24 hour period. Why your follow up controlled study would be based on a short time horizon doesn't resonate with me. It makes ZERO sense to me how that is indicative of failure and quite frankly smells a little funny to me, but I'm not a clinical researcher. Hope this helps.

Tinnitus Treatment with Oxytocin: A Pilot Study

• Helpful Helpful x 2
    20. Adam0309

Adam0309 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Thanks for your comment @Lane. That is exactly what I was thinking because I have some private prescriptions for eye drops that are also available OTC. A quick Google search for Oxytocin made it look like it was available via online pharmacies without a prescription, and so I asked the question. I didn’t expect such a rude response. Perhaps I’m just not as bright as @David1260.

Good luck everyone! Hope this works for you.

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    21. Nick47

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Viral/noise
      It's certainly odd. Why change the parameters that made Phase 1 successful?

• Good Question Good Question x 2
    22. Nick47

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Viral/noise
      I presume the love hormone lost its lust?

I'm not aware of Cognosetta?

Dr. Shore - genuine optimism.
      OTO-313 - DEAD.
      Dirk De Ridder - is this the Ketamine thing he said didn't work?
      Hamid Djalilian - I'm out of the loop here.
      Objective measure - I'm aware of at least 3 institutions working on this, 2 Aussies and 1 UK. Yep, I reckon 2-3 years and they will start to appear in some clinics.

23. Isabella 123
      Curious

Isabella 123 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably traumatic noise event
      Pitocin is a drug used to induce labor. Oxytocin is a hormone that helps a new mother’s milk flow. Two different things altogether.

24. Isabella 123
      Curious

Isabella 123 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I know everyone is eager for an answer but people, if this could be purchased from Walmart and worked, then NYU would not have spent $$$$ on clinical trials for it. It should not be so difficult to understand that a patent for a new drug (that is efficacious) is not going to be the same thing you can buy OTC at Walmart.

Let’s give @ploughna a break from asking him the same questions over and over...

And let’s give him a huge round of applause and thanks for keeping us well informed throughout this whole thing. YAYYYYYY for you good Buddy!

25. Gb3

Gb3 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL
      Pitocin® is a synthetic version of oxytocin.

26. Isabella 123
      Curious

Isabella 123 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Yes that’s true it is a synthetic version of a natural hormone. It’s given intravenously to induce and control labor, usually the IV remains in place throughout the entire labor until close to delivery. In women whose labor is slowing down, the Pitocin is increased and speeds it up, for example. Oxytocin is a natural hormone made in the mother’s body during breastfeeding and induces a bonding of love between the mother and baby, that’s why it’s nicknamed “the love hormone.” If a new mother is having problems “letting down” her milk (letting it flow), the Oxytocin is prescribed as a nasal spray (because that’s the only way it will cross the blood-brain barrier). Certified Lactation Consultants (IBCLC) used to be able to get this pretty easily to use with their clients, but are no longer able to obtain it. I’m a birth doula, postpartum doula and lactation consultant, although I’m not an IBCLC, just a CBC.

BTW, lovers create Oxytocin when they make love, just not as much of it. Next time you enjoy a roll in the hay, check to see if your tinnitus is quieter!

• Agree Agree x 1
    27. MaximBrutii

MaximBrutii Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Medication induced, Wellbutrin
      Actually, Pitocin is just the brand name of synthetic Oxytocin. Kinda like how Advil is the brand name of ibuprofen or Tylenol is the brand name of acetaminophen. I’m a pharmacist and know this.

• Informative Informative x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    28. xela1225

xela1225 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
    29. AfroSnowman
      Balanced

AfroSnowman Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Nonnatural energy source
    30. Gb3

Gb3 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL
      Didn’t someone say the Primary Investigator (PI) retired?