The Positivity Thread

Discussion in 'Support' started by demi, Jan 16, 2014.

1. epin3m
      Badass

epin3m Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      I already posted this here but I think it would suit this section:

I am as happy as I was before T since my level of happiness and my T do not go hand by hand anymore.

I was very depressed about my T but not anymore. I do not give him the strength to determine my mood.

So yes. I AM HAPPY AND I LOVE BEING ALIVE!

PS: That does not mean that I would not like my T going away. Of course I would prefer not having it but I do not think that my overall level of happiness would change.

• Like Like x 3
    2. sgal

sgal Member

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2005
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ? probably hearing loss.
      This is a great idea and I actually came to the forum today to post a few positive notes. I just returned from a trip to Virginia Beach, Va. to go whale watching. That's a big deal because I went by myself and I did it because living your life while you are dealing with tinnitus is the best thing you can do. It's not easy but more than worth the effort. Unfortunately, I didn't see whales but I did spend some quality time with my family, especially my sister. Did the T bother me while I was there? Yes, but that was more than balanced by the fun experiences I was having. I also just visited an audiologist who was very knowledgeable about ototoxic drugs which plays a big part in my story. She put some of my fears to rest and gave me lots of hope for things getting better in the future.

I know I will still be having good days and bad but I'm going to remain proactive and positive.

• Like Like x 3
      • Hug Hug x 2
      • Winner Winner x 1
    3. Amelia
      Daring

Amelia Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2013
      I'm so glad to hear this! Whenever I'm down I'm going to pop back in and re-read this!

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    4. cullenbohannon
      Thinking

cullenbohannon Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2014
      Hey guys this is a video which I think is vey helpful. He relates happiness to success in business but you can relate to the situation we are all going through. In one of these videos i cant remember which one but the speaker said "sometimes it doesn't matter what you know but its all about how you feel and perceive things". We all know this wont kill us and it shouldn't bother us as much as we let it but we do. But the way it makes us feel is the problem. Hopefully this video will help some of you the way it has helped me
      TEDxBloomington - Shawn Achor - "The...

• Like Like x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    5. katriina
      Frustrated

katriina Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Today I walked outside and listened music with EARPUDS! With lowest volume that is possible of course but it was still a huge step forward to me :) My T is still loud when I go sleep and when I wake up but in the daytime it keeps pretty quiet, I assume that is a good sign...

• Like Like x 6
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      demi
      No Mood

demi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2012
      T positivity update: I've been falling asleep without masking. The ringing is still there and loud, but I'm trying to just not let it bother me.

• Like Like x 9
      • Hug Hug x 3
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    7. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      March is coming up and will be my 5th anniversary of my T life. I am living an absolutely enjoyable and abundant life despite my T screaming at me most mornings. What a change. 5 years ago I thought my good life, even my mortal life, would be over soon. Considering the immense sufferings I went through in the beginning, and the beauty of life I am enjoying and absorbing now, it is nothing but miracle. I praise the Lord for this miracle and I pray He will extend His love and mercy to help out all those who are in need of help.

Don't believe the lies from the T bully. It wants to control you, scare you, paint a distorted and catastrophic view of the future to cause you endless panic. It lies to you that no way you can accept this sound, no way you can escape its tyranny. These are nothing but lies, worse lies than what some politicians can spill out to you. LOL.

Stay hopeful and positive. Give your body TIME to absorb in the new condition. Stay calm as much as you can. Keep living. Keep believing. I am heading out to Hawaii in a few months to see my daughter and her new-born son. It is her first child after 14 years of marriage. We all thought she would be childless for life. But we pray hard for God's mercy on her (who really like kids) to give her a child. Miracle does happen. Never give up. In HI, I will see the coconut palms again. I lived in HI for 6 years during my university days. I learned some valuable lesson in life from observing these palm trees. They learn how to live in numerous wind storms (even hurricanes/typhoons in other areas) which otherwise would have uprooted most other trees. They flow with the fierce storms by bending, giving, by shedding their heavy leaves if needed, and by developing a firm root system. They don't resist something beyond their control (the storms), but accept the fierce storms and adapt to them. Even when a young palm seem to fall, it will lie low but the roots will still hold on to the ground. When the storm is over, it will bend up again and grow into some of the most beauty coconut palms you will ever see, as like these. May we learn from the coconut trees to stay firm and resilient, to learn to accept and flow during the fierce storm of T, or for that matter of life, and yet emerge unscathed with nothing but beauty to enjoy for the rest of our life. Amen.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

• Like x 13
      • Hug x 3
      • Funny x 1
      • Winner x 1
      • Optimistic x 1
    8. DebS

DebS Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      What a beautiful message and gorgeous images...especially welcome where I'm shivering in 16-degree weather. I love the image of the palm tree bending in the storm, then springing back to stand straight. I hope it will help me on the bad days! Thanks.

• Like Like x 2
    9. Tom KW
      Fine

Tom KW Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      have to admit, I do more reading than I do replying, but this was such a great idea, positive positive positive I like it!
      i've had T for a bout seven months now, when I first got it I was very down and out as most people are, I have learned to live with it, and it really doesn't bother me that much anymore, and I really think that a cure is coming very soon.
      Life is good people, let's enjoy it to the fullest...:)

• Like Like x 4
      • Agree Agree x 3
    10. gary
      Transparent

gary Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Who Knows
      Great thread Demi, much needed. Now lets see an avatar of you with a smile....:huganimation:

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    11. Saif
      Suicidal

Saif Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      I had type 2 diabetes Since NOV 2013 and tinnitus DEC 2013 and I weight 130 KG on that time.
      Now with this noises in my head I still do exercises and diet and for the first time I cheeked my HbA1c and it was 5.5 and my weight 114. :woot:
      Sorry tinnitus but I'm not letting you to destroy my life. :)

• Winner Winner x 7
      • Like Like x 4
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 2
      • Hug Hug x 1
    12. Jeff M.
      Breezy

Jeff M. Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct. 2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Idiopathic
      Stoked to see this thread still active and well read!! I recently had a seminal moment of sorts. A week or so a go my T (which is high volume, high pitch, both ears), completely disappeared in my right ear for a few hours and during that time, even minimized in my left. It was AMAZING!! First "quiet" hours I have had in over a year!! It did come back in both ears, but it has been really weird and erratic ever since. Which is intriguing because it has been so consistent since onset. Something is going on in my melon!! Staying positive and hoping for another (longer) respite soon!! Best to you all!! I appreciate you guys!! :D (y)

• Like Like x 5
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 3
      • Hug Hug x 1
    13. Stina
      Psychedelic

Stina Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/13
      Have you been doing anything different recently (vitamins, some sort of therapy)? maybe its working :)

14. Grace
      No Mood

Grace Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/14/2013
      Soo glad you had that happen!! :) anythings posssibleee! Hope it happens more for you!!

15. Jeff M.
      Breezy

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct. 2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Idiopathic
      Hey Stina!! How are you? I haven't been on in awhile, miss you guys! I hope you are well!

I tried a run of magnesium and GABA for awhile, and didn't really see any results. So I stopped a couple weeks ago. Funny, it wasn't until I stopped the supplements that I had that quiet episode. So now I am confused if I should resume taking them or stay off and see what happens!? This silly T!! :confused:

• Like Like x 1
    16. Jeff M.
      Breezy

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct. 2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Idiopathic
      Thanks Grace!!!:thankyousign: You are so right..... anything IS possible.

Best and peace to you!

• Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    17. Jeff M.
      Breezy

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct. 2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Idiopathic

As usual, FANTASTIC post and AMAZING photos!!! Congrats on your new Grandson!!

Thanks for your continued inspiration Billie!! :thankyousign:

18. Steve
      Creative

Steve Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Flu, Noise-induced, Jaw trauma
      Great thread.

Years ago while I was at college, Sting came to do a music workshop. In between songs he told a few stories, and one always stuck with me. He said that when the sun is rising, and you look straight to it while it's still safe to do so, it's rays are filtered into the eyes and it gives the same effect as a shot of lithium, making you feel naturally happy. He said 'if you're ever depressed, just go and watch the sunrise'.

I have no idea if it's true but I always smile a little extra at the sunrise because of it.

• Like Like x 5
      • Agree Agree x 2
    19. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      Thank you very much Jeff for the good words. I am just doing my part to help bring some positives and hope for the newer T sufferers. I am really happy for you that those 'ah' moments are happening to you. Those should come more often in the future. It can only get better. God bless.

• Like Like x 1
    20. Tom KW
      Fine

Tom KW Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Grace got me thinking, I never seem to have T in my dreams, although I dream all the time, don't get me wrong, i'm glad that I don't. I wonder if that's a totally different part of our brains. wouldn't it be nice if we could use that part of our brains in the daytime :bored: . does anyone experienced T while they're dreaming?

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
    21. Grace
      No Mood

Grace Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/14/2013
      Alot of people say they dont experience T in there dreams either.. When mine was really loud I would dream all night and my dreams are real vivid and i always remember them and i didnt hear the T.. Scientists say our dreams may be the key to unlocking T but i dont know anything bout it i just figure if you cant hear it in dreams then theres deff something that can be done in the future for t they just gotta research more parts of the brain to figure it out

• Agree Agree x 1
    22. mmacabre
      Ape-like

mmacabre Member

Tinnitus Since:
      I hear my tinnitus extremely prominently in my dreams every night.

23. smel

smel Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1/1994
      Hi all, I've been lurking here on and off for a few years. I'm a long-time T "adapter," and although I have bad days just like the rest of yas, I've been learning to focus more on the positive points. For example, it's not going make me go deaf, it's not going to cause health problems (well, aside from sleep issues), and a cure will come eventually, I believe. It's just a matter of time. Science has cured some very serious diseases over the past 100 years. Tinnitus, although it drives us crazy mentally, is relatively minor in comparison with some of the health conditions we've been able to cure or treat.

I remember reading about people long ago who would take desperate measures to get rid of their T by having a doctor somehow induce deafness (not sure what the doctors would do to damage the ear), and of course the tinnitus didn't disappear. Although we still have a lot to learn about tinnitus, we're far beyond those older times in terms of our knowledge about T and our support options and methods of coping.

I'm grateful to know that researchers are actively trying to find ways to treat and cure T and that I have places like this to learn and share. I don't have a choice when it comes to having T, but I do have a choice as to how I cope with it, and I'd rather choose to not let it take over my life. There are days when it's a struggle, but I always win in the end. :)

• Like Like x 3
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    24. Stina
      Psychedelic

Stina Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/13
      Welcome aboard! How about a post in the theread "Intoduce yourself" where you can speak more about how you developed in the first place and share some tips as a longterm adapter? Tips are always welcome:)

• Agree Agree x 1
    25. smel

smel Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1/1994
      Did that now. Thanks for the suggestion. :)

26. Saif
      Suicidal

Saif Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      @smel

Yes I think they will find a cure for the next years, when you got Tinnitus scientists developed the (omnipod) for type 1 diabetes and some pills for some cancers.
      So I'm sure they will find a cure or some pills to reduce the sound. :)

• Agree Agree x 1
    27. tandpiano
      Relaxed

tandpiano Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/2010
      casting-all-your-cares.jpg The other night we spent the evening out with family having dinner and shopping. For the most part I did not notice my T. :) When I got home to the quiet of the house my T was screaming in my left ear. OY! I decided not to panic and took a very long hot soak and by the time I was done my T had settled down. These last 2 days have been good! I am making a lap quilt and have been trying to inspire the weather by doing some spring cleaning! I am hoping it will encourage these very bitter cold NY days to hurry spring along. I am a photographer and I love to capture the beauty of nature and add scripture to it! Be encouraged and know that God is good and He will see you through! Have a good T day from me to you!

• Like Like x 6
      • Hug Hug x 1
    28. Tenna
      Anime

Tenna Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      Tinnitus made me start sports again, eating better and taking better care of myself. If I can't improve my ears, I'll do an effort to improve what I can (y)

• Like Like x 8
      • Hug Hug x 4
      • Agree Agree x 3
    29. here2help

here2help Member

Steve, I enjoyed reading your recollection of Sting talking about looking into the sun. Sting wrote a song about this called "Lithium Sunset". He credited a Brazilian shaman for giving him the idea.

I'm guessing Brazilian shamans don't get many shout-outs on tinnitus websites, so there you go!

here2help

• Like Like x 1
    30. mikey13
      Mellow

mikey13 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/ 2014
      sat down and watched Gravity with my son today - he absolutely INSISTED we buy it last night great movie, really exciting and edge of your seat stuff, and sitting there I forgot

• Like Like x 3