Thiamine Pyrophosphate (TPP) Stopped My Tinnitus!

Discussion in 'Alternative Treatments and Research' started by Azariah, Feb 19, 2016.

1. Quiet please
      Balanced

Quiet please Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      May 2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Cochlear Endolymphatic Hydrops/Hearing loss
      @Flyingsheep, oops...

I missed that dosage in the article. I looked up ordering it through Amazon. Did you order the sublingual lozenge? Unfortunately it’s full of artificial sweeteners which I’m very sensitive to & get GI distress.

There is a capsule; did you order these?

Of course, I’m hoping you get real relief!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    2. Flyingsheep
      Sheepish

Flyingsheep Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      This is the one I ordered which is free from any fillers, etc:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0898T6NX3/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Like Like x 1
    3. Amaranta
      Dramaqueen

Amaranta Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Thanks for sharing the article, @Flyingsheep! I find it very interesting and I want to try this supplement too.

I am a bit confused between the terms Thiamine and TPP.

According to the article: "most people are required to consume one hundred to one thousand times the daily recommended intake (1-1,5mg) to see restoration of metabolism and symptomatic improvement" (of Thiamine)

I believe TPP is a Thiamine derivative... so when you said earlier in this thread that the author suggests roughly 400mg for mega dosing TPP... That means also 400mg of Thiamine? Or is there a conversion to make?

• Like Like x 1
    4. Quiet please
      Balanced

Tinnitus Since:
      May 2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @Flyingsheep,

Thanks for the info & link. I’m going to order it & hope to be able to compare notes. Good luck to everyone who tries this!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    5. Flyingsheep
      Sheepish

Flyingsheep Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hi, sorry for the late reply. From what I understand TPP is a synthesized Thiamine. 400mg of TPP is 400mg of this form of Thiamine. TPP is absorbed by our bodies differently from other forms of Thiamine such as Thiamine HCl or Thiamine mononitrate. TPP also crosses the blood brain barrier very easily, whereas the other types of Thiamine are much less likely to cross it.

It may be different for each person whether they need to take TPP, HCl, or other kinds of Thiamine. I just want to try TPP first and mega dose it because it crosses the blood brain barrier which may have a higher chance of making a difference for tinnitus, that is if some sort of Thiamine deficiency is what sparked it.

I'm not really getting my hopes up, however the more I think about it, I can find some kind of link to Thiamine deficiency possibly being the cause for me. My tinnitus started after I got incredibly sick from drinking at a really high altitude which I wasn't used to. Since alcohol has a pretty big impact on Thiamine levels, I could theorize that getting so sick like that could have caused an enzyme dysfunction which turns into chronic Thiamine deficiency, and this guy's theory is that chronic Thiamine deficiency can't be resolved by the Thiamine you get from a diet or normal supplementing, but that you have to mega dose Thiamine to resolve it.

This most likely has absolutely nothing to do to with my tinnitus problems but I did catch a glimmer of hope for a second. We'll see when I finally get the Thiamine I ordered.

6. Quiet please
      Balanced

Tinnitus Since:
      May 2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @Flyingsheep, Your theory sounds plausible. Wishing you all the best! Please keep us up to date on your progress.

In the meantime, the TPP I ordered from Amazon is on backorder & I don’t wish to take the artificially sweetened lozenge, I’ll have to wait. I’ve tried other sites & haven’t had any luck. Interesting that this type of Thiamine seems to be either sold out everywhere I checked or is simply not stocked.

• Like Like x 1
    7. Flyingsheep
      Sheepish

Flyingsheep Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      It's also backordered for me. I believe we both ordered the same one. Mine should be shipping at the end of the month. I'll keep this thread updated.

• Like Like x 1
    8. Amaranta
      Dramaqueen

Amaranta Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Thank you for the explanation!

I already ordered Thiamine (now I realize it is Thiamine Mononitrate), so I am going to mega-dose this thing starting Friday! I will report back if I notice something.
      I find very interesting that you do not need to be deficient in this vitamin to suffer from enzyme inhibition. I think it's definitely worth a shot!!

Probably in your case it makes even more sense that the root cause is linked to this enzyme dysfunction and Thiamine will bring things back to normal! I hope so!

9. Quiet please
      Balanced

Tinnitus Since:
      May 2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @Flyingsheep, due to other recent comments, about other Thiamine supplements, I want to be clear about which Thiamine you and your article recommends.

I ordered TPP (Thiamine PYROPHOSPATE) which unfortunately is currently back ordered at Amazon.

I see others are using another version called Thiamine Mononitrate; is that in your option a suitable substitute?

10. Flyingsheep
      Sheepish

Flyingsheep Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Alternatively you can use Thiamine Benfotiamine which is going to be much better than Mononitrate and you only need to take 800mg of it to mega dose I think. It likely can cross the blood brain barrier but TPP will be much more effective to do that.

• Like Like x 1
    11. Quiet please
      Balanced

Tinnitus Since:
      May 2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @Flyingsheep, thanks for the clarification. I saw Thiamine Benfotiamine on Amazon & almost ordered it as it was less expensive. But I’m all in with TPP. Fingers crossed!

12. Flyingsheep
      Sheepish

Flyingsheep Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      • Like Like x 1
    13. Quiet please
      Balanced

Tinnitus Since:
      May 2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @Flyingsheep, thank you for this info. But from what I read, I’m sticking with the TPP. Right now I’m just starting Kava Kava first, so I can wait until it’s back in stock.

Besides, sometimes we get what we pay for. If it works, I don’t mind paying more for the TPP version.

14. Flyingsheep
      Sheepish

Flyingsheep Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Sorry I want to clarify that this is the same TPP supplement as the one on Amazon. You’re just ordering from the official website.

• Agree Agree x 1
    15. Flyingsheep
      Sheepish

Flyingsheep Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Good news! It arrived today surprisingly, even though Amazon didn't notify that it shipped. I'll start at 100mg a day for a few days and bump it up from there.

• Like Like x 1
    16. Quiet please
      Balanced

Tinnitus Since:
      May 2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @Flyingsheep, that’s really great news! I hope mine comes soon. All the best.

17. Flyingsheep
      Sheepish

Flyingsheep Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Experiencing some pure silence right now, however I have a tendency to get placebo when I try things so we still have to see.

• Like Like x 3
      • Winner Winner x 1
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    18. Amaranta
      Dramaqueen

Amaranta Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      That is fantastic! I am so happy for you!

Enjoy the silence and keep us posted!

19. Quiet please
      Balanced

Tinnitus Since:
      May 2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @Flyingsheep, pure silence? It’s been so long, I’ve forgotten how that feels.

Mine is still on Amazon backorder. Frustrating that it has not come yet. Also, when I see the very less expensive Thiamine Benfotiamine, I’m tempted. It comes in a higher dosage of 300-500mg. But I’m not sure if it’s equivalent to TPP. I don’t want a runner-up. Lol.

You know we are SO excited for you & hopeful for us. Looking forward to getting updates!

20. Flyingsheep
      Sheepish

Flyingsheep Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Thank you. The silence only lasted like a few hours and then the rest of the day was a 1/10 background static. I woke up with tinnitus being aggravated and now it's starting to settle down a bit. I still have no idea if this has anything to do with Thiamine because like I said, trying new things tends to give me a placebo effect or sometimes I happen to start a new procedure at the same exact time I hit a really really low day.

• Like Like x 1
    21. Quiet please
      Balanced

Tinnitus Since:
      May 2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @Flyingsheep, yes, it could just be a coincidence and/or the placebo effect of a lower tinnitus day. But maybe because I personally don’t have low days anymore, I’m saying it’s starting to work.

Do you usually wake up with high tinnitus? I absolutely do. It’s ruined every morning for 10+ years. Some aspects of this will take longer to heal, I’m sure. Just the very fact that you had a few blessed hours of silence and a very low (1 out of 10) rest of the day, says a lot.

I hope it continues for you.

• Hug Hug x 1
    22. Flyingsheep
      Sheepish

Flyingsheep Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      It used to be that I would wake up with quiet tinnitus and over the course of the day it would gradually increase in volume until I slept. That was before I would get these intense spikes. Now for the past 8-9 months I would wake up with it loud and it would settle as the afternoon approached.

Two days ago it went from settling down to a bad spike eventually, but I woke up yesterday and it was like 3/10 and stayed that way for the whole day. I woke up in silence again this morning, so maybe something is happening. Still way too early to tell.

• Like Like x 1
    23. Quiet please
      Balanced

Tinnitus Since:
      May 2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @Flyingsheep, yes, you’re right. It’s too early to tell. But hope is in the air; I’m sure.

It’s so weird how this affects us all so differently, yet profoundly all the same.

24. Flyingsheep
      Sheepish

Flyingsheep Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Just to update, I really don't think this is doing anything for me. As I suspected I had some sort of placebo effect in the beginning and now things are behaving like they always do, despite the fact that I'm mega dosing right now. About 50% of the days of the month it's baseline and calm, and the rest are screaming satan filled days. It still blows my mind that I can go from literally silence to something straight from hell that actually blocks my ability to hear soft sounds because it's so loud and high pitched.

• Hug Hug x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    25. Quiet please
      Balanced

Tinnitus Since:
      May 2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @Flyingsheep, so sorry to hear you’re not doing so great on it.

But if you have 50% of doing semi-ok, do you think it’s in fact your baseline or could that be the TPP slowly working? My baseline is 10% of doing semi-ok. I’d love 50% at this point.

Meanwhile, I’m still on backorder for my TPP; so frustrating.

26. Flyingsheep
      Sheepish

Flyingsheep Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Unfortunately that's how it's been for me since last year so no change there really.

• Like Like x 1
    27. Quiet please
      Balanced

Tinnitus Since:
      May 2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @Flyingsheep, that’s so disappointing it didn’t work for you. All the best going forward.

28. corza000

corza000 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Would Thiamine Hydrochloride (HCl) suffice?

29. morgothaod

morgothaod Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
    30. morgothaod

morgothaod Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      I took my first lozenge, so far no change.