Thiamine Pyrophosphate (TPP) Stopped My Tinnitus!

Discussion in 'Alternative Treatments and Research' started by Azariah, Feb 19, 2016.

1. Ryan Edwards

Ryan Edwards Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Half is not a bad idea actually. But I think I will wait to see how you get on first. Have you got yours yet?

• Creative Creative x 1
    2. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

DebInAustralia Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      I have a theory why it didn't agree with you. If your glycination pathway (liver detox pathway) is not optimal, Glycine supplements might aggravate rather than help you relax.

I vaguely recall reading that Glycine in some people, might activate sensitized NMDA receptors. I can see how this might have created sleep issues.

If that's the case, then that would point to glutamate excess. So perhaps trial Taurine and GABA without the Glycine.

• Informative Informative x 1
    3. Ryan Edwards

Ryan Edwards Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Ah thanks, that makes sense. So what is glutamate excess indicative of? Since my bad reaction to Doxycycline, I've also noticed that I cannot really tolerate caffeine, it makes me shaky and gives me the sweats...

• Useful Useful x 1
    4. Matchbox
      Wishful

Matchbox Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced, Prednisone (drones), Barotrauma (distortions)
      None of that made any sort of sense. So what if a certain pathway is inhibited, when none of this crosses the BBB.

5. Ben Winders
      Pensive

Ben Winders Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic
      I owe you an apology, haha. I'll be doing the exact same thing, commenting after 1 day for the sole reason that I had an absolutely insane night.

I took 2 GABA Calms yesterday, one in the morning, one right before bed.

I went to sleep and it was as if I had taken XTC and ran a marathon at the same time. I was absolutely undoubtedly insanely wired. I think I slept 3 hours, max. Still feel a bit wired this morning...

So much for the CALM in GABA Calm :D

EDIT: After a bit of research, it seems more people have raised insomnia and anxiety with GABA, mostly related to dosage and timing. I will be taking only 1 lozenge of 750 mg in the morning, not a second one in the evening. I am not planning to drop it yet, as it clearly does something.

• Informative Informative x 3
    6. Ryan Edwards

Ryan Edwards Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Haha, glad I’m not the only one! The wired feeling hanging on for some of the next day too! I’m too scared to take anymore for now so keep us posted on how you get on Ben!

• Hug Hug x 1
    7. Ben Winders
      Pensive

Ben Winders Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic
      @Lane, when you say "head tinnitus," do you mean that it is a buzzing type of tinnitus? I have a hiss and a buzz, the buzz is the most annoying of the two in my particular case.

Did you ever try to take GABA Calm before sleep and did it affect your sleep negatively at all?

Do you let the lozenge dissolve under your tongue or do you just swallow it?

As per their own website, they advise to dissolve it in the mouth before swallowing: "For best results, allow to dissolve in the mouth before swallowing. Suggested Use: 1 lozenge 1 to 3 times daily."

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    8. Lane

Lane Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Single 25 mg dose of (anticholinergic) drug Promethazine
      Hi @Ben Winders -- Definitely not buzzing, more like a high-pitched, vibrational screeching. It has moved around a lot from the beginning of my tinnitus onset four years ago. For a long time, I had intense tinnitus in my solar plexus, heart, and throat areas, in addition to it being in my head and ears. It seemed to have somewhat of a center in my throat. I've seen one other comment on this forum about someone having tinnitus centered in their throat.

From my symptom locations, I deduced my vagus nerve was likely a major factor in my tinnitus. It runs through all the areas I mentioned, and has nerve endings in the ear as well (auricular branch of the vagus nerve). So I began focusing on doing a number of things that are supposed to stimulate the vagus nerve. Singing and gargling often came up as being able to do that, most likely because the vagus nerve runs through the throat.

This gave me some insight into why singing and music are such important aspects of most spiritual traditions. They essentially (would seem to) stimulate the whole body (and psyche). I regularly sing a spiritual mantra called the "Song of HU", and feel it helps calm my ears, body, mind, & psyche, and kind of "transmutes" my tinnitus, making it feel much less intrusive.

Regarding sleep, it normally doesn't take much for something to disrupt my sleep (like chocolate any time during the day). But I didn't get any kind of sense the GABA Calm did so. However, I still take my daily lozenge during the day to help avoid any potential of it causing insomnia. I do let it dissolve under my tongue for several minutes.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    9. ma7555
      Doubtful

ma7555 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bupropion
      There is also another Thiamine derivative that is more commonly available, called "Sulbutiamine" which is sold under the brand name "Arcalion". Did anyone try it for tinnitus?

I found TPP cheaply available in pharmacies too, the generic name of the compound is Cocarboxylase so you may search for that instead of Thiamine Pyrophosphate. It is usually sold with other B-complex vitamins and ATP as an IM injection. I just took a shot now and praying for a miracle...

• Like Like x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    10. ma7555
      Doubtful

ma7555 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bupropion
      Got 3 shots of 50 mg CocarboxyIase (TPP). No effect.

11. Ben Winders
      Pensive

Ben Winders Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic
      I have been taking 1 lozenge of GABA CALM and 1 Coenzymated B1 for 23 days now. No difference in my buzzing tinnitus. I will keep using until the bottle runs out.

12. Ryan Edwards

Ryan Edwards Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      :-(

13. SamRosemary

SamRosemary Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Not sure if it’s been posted in the thread; has anyone found this product, as a Canadian version?

14. Pharz
      Alone

Pharz Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      -
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      -
      Hi all,

After a recent setback I started taking vitamins again.

I have tried Thiamin Hydrochloride recently, and I have to say it has removed my morse code tinnitus. But the general tone I have in my ear still remains.

I will keep a log of how my tinnitus fluctuates, and continue taking this vitamin B1 for some time (a month or so) and report back here if it really helps.

• Like Like x 3
    15. ryand
      Artistic

ryand Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Maybe Dec 2015 - the buzz was low prior
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Diet or TMJ Jaw Inflammation and Clenching??
      @Ben Winders, do you have any issues with dairy (casein)?

I have that head buzzing tinnitus too, it's not from my ear. But I can get it to go away with diet.

I just ordered Thiamine Pyrophosphate (TPP) with Calm GABA.

The reason I'm here to today is because I had a random spike which I tracked back to some chips that I ate yesterday.

What gave me my head buzz spike was cheese cultures found in pita chips. I believe my tinnitus is a sensitivity symptom of casein found in cow's milk. I accidentally ate those chips without looking at the packaging because I was hungry. For me, most dairy causes gut inflammation, bloating, brain fog, and higher dB tinnitus. It can take 1-2 weeks to get out of the system.