Thiamine Pyrophosphate (TPP) Stopped My Tinnitus!

Discussion in 'Alternative Treatments and Research' started by Azariah, Feb 19, 2016.

1. Jerad

Jerad Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Medication ototoxicity
      I ordered this same exact product as @RadioKid722 and it came in the mail yesterday. So I plan to try soon.

• Like Like x 2
    2. David S

David S Member Benefactor Ambassador

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      @RadioKid722, and how much did your tinnitus improve with B1? Do most environments mask it now? Thanks!

3. RadioKid722
      Wishful

RadioKid722 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/22/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Medication
      @David S, it improved, but it's still difficult to totally mask. I just feel it's slightly less intrusive and bothersome than it was.

• Like Like x 1
    4. RadioKid722
      Wishful

RadioKid722 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/22/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Medication
      @Jerad, how did taking the vitamin go? Any improvement?

• Like Like x 1
      • Good Question Good Question x 1
    5. Jerad

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Medication ototoxicity
      I haven’t started them yet because I recently started NAC and was giving it a few more days to make sure I can tell what’s doing what. I feared that if I start two new supplements at once, it’d be hard to tell which is hurting or helping. I’m gonna try TPP soon. :)

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Useful Useful x 1
    6. Joe Cuber
      Angry

Joe Cuber Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Gradual hearing loss + a huge amount of stress
      I should have waited too. I started NAC 5 days ago and TPP yesterday. No effect so far, too early to tell. Now if I do experience anything, I won't know what did it.

• Like Like x 1
    7. tpj
      Sad

tpj Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      probably noise
      I wonder what the waiting period should be? Is one week enough time before adding another supplement?

• Like Like x 1
    8. Jerad

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Medication ototoxicity
      I would think a week would be enough. Maybe two at most.

• Informative Informative x 1
    9. Tasty
      Feminine

Tasty Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Visual Snow Syndrome, possibly TMJD/Cervical Instability
      Does it have any bad side effects?

I don't know honestly, how should it stop the tinnitus? Is it some kind of anti-inflammatory?

I can't find information about it.

10. DimLeb

DimLeb Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Idiopathic Cochleopathy or Maybe Loud Music
      It most likely does nothing against tinnitus in most people. It is just vitamin B1 in the family of B complex that supposedly helps nerve repair and some other brain and blood functions.

If you don't have any deficiencies and you eat normally (meat, fish, vegetables, fruits etc), your body has all these substances sufficiently.

Vitamins and supplements are a waste of time and money for 99.9% of people with tinnitus.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    11. RadioKid722
      Wishful

RadioKid722 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/22/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Medication
      @DimLeb, your negativity isn't needed here. I eat normally and am very healthy and this supplement made a difference for me. Take your inability to have hope and go someplace else.

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    12. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

DebInAustralia Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      The OP theorized it worked for him because of a fault in the Krebs cycle.

13. TigerMattle

TigerMattle Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Wisdom tooth extraction
      Hello, I created an account on this forum to let you know that this product is working for me.

I've had a one-sided tinnitus on the right ear since I got my wisdom tooth extracted in November 2022.

This has affected my mental health and sleep quality a lot. I started using half a pill per day of this product and within 2 weeks I have been feeling a decrease in volume of my tinnitus. It went from a 6/10 to a 2/10.

• Informative Informative x 4
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    14. Lane

Lane Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Single 25 mg dose of (anticholinergic) drug Promethazine
      Hi @RadioKid722 -- Thanks for the info and testimonial. I discovered the below-linked supplement definitely softens my tinnitus, and calms down my whole brain and neurological system as well. In fact, I'd say it helps my head tinnitus even more than my ear tinnitus.

Source Naturals Serene Science, GABA Calm - Supports A Calming Mood, Quick Dissolving Orange Flavor - 120 Lozenges

15. Ryan Edwards

Ryan Edwards Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Thanks Lane. I will try this. Since the Doxycycline has spiked my left ear tinnitus to the worst it’s ever been, I will try anything!

16. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Hi Lane.

Since we both seem to have head and ear tinnitus, your post caught my eye.

I hope you are doing well?

Why do you think this supplement helps your head tinnitus? Any theories?

• Good Question Good Question x 2
    17. KP26

KP26 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      COVID-19
    18. Ben Winders
      Pensive

Ben Winders Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic
      Ordered both GABA Calm (as suggested by @Lane) and Coenzymated B1 (as suggested by @RadioKid722).

Will probably try the GABA Calm first as I have a buzzing head tinnitus that is driving me mad (I also have slight static hiss).

Will report back, of course.

Here's to hoping I've not wasted another €200 EUR on nothing, in these economically challenging times.

• Useful Useful x 1
    19. Ryan Edwards

Ryan Edwards Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      The B1 did nothing for me unfortunately, but hoping for GABA CALM.

20. Lane

Lane Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hi @DebInAustralia -- I'm assuming because of the increase in GABA levels in my brain. GABA is a calming neurotransmitter, and since this supplement GABA Calm apparently increases GABA levels, it's "somewhat" similar to benzodiazapines. Benzos also increase GABA levels, albeit artificially, and sometimes at great cost and very high risk of dependence. I seriously doubt the GABA Calm product would present such risks.

The GABA Calm effects would also seem "somewhat" similar to what alcohol does in the body, namely increases GABA levels, and cause all kinds of activities and reaction times in the body to slow down. I've always assumed--though not certain--that GABA is the main neurotransmitter that is modulated by the vagus nerve. The vagus nerve orchestrates the function of the entire parasympathetic nervous system, whose primary function is to calm the body and nervous system down, especially after traumatic events.

I've been experimenting with this product, taking anywhere from 1-3 lozenges a day. At this point, I'm not sure I need more than one, as I first noticed a softening of both my head and ear tinnitus the very next day after taking only one. At first I didn't make a connection, until I remembered later on I had taken it. Since I'd never taken one of those before, and since it's quite rare for me to experience such a noticeable reduction at any given time, I'm pretty convinced there's a direct correlation. Especially since I've not returned to my previous higher baseline levels.

It's possible this worked well for me because my GABA levels were too low to begin with. There's likely people with tinnitus that already have GABA levels that are optimal, and they may not notice the kind of effects that I did, or somebody else might who have abnormally low GABA levels.

As an aside, I suspect this could be a very helpful product for those who are going through benzodiazapine withdrawal. And a good thing to have on hand if a person thinks there's a possibility they may go through a benzodiazapine withdrawal process in the future. @linearb.

• Informative Informative x 2
    21. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Hi Lane,

I am glad you have found something that helps you cope with your tinnitus better.

I am on a myriad of things at the moment, under the direction of a naturopath, but really haven't experienced any significant improvement yet.

I had a look at the ingredients of your supplement. I have tried GABA before. Didn't do anything for me whatsoever, sadly. It does contain Taurine, which you probably know, is a precursor to GABA. I am cautious with Glycine, as it can activate NMDA receptors, if sensitive to it. I tried L-Tyrosine years ago, but at that point, I think I had subclinical hyperthryoidism, so decided I better stay away from it. Now that I am sub clinically hypothyroid though, I may reconsider it. I don't remember it helping my tinnitus back then either.

Does your t sometimes sit in your head and then on bad days, move to your ears as well? I wish I knew why????

22. KP26

KP26 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      COVID-19
      Hi Deb.

Does your tinnitus get louder when you try to sleep?

23. Ryan Edwards

Ryan Edwards Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Mine does!

24. KP26

KP26 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      COVID-19
      Hey Ryan,

Does yours also seem as though it’s coming from both your head and ears?

25. Ryan Edwards

Ryan Edwards Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Yes very much so. I have Ehlers-Danlos syndrome and I think physically there are issues (I can change the tinnitus pitch by opening my jaw wide or moving my head far left). My tinnitus is spiked by medication; most recently Doxycycline. And so I think it's part head and part ears.

• Agree Agree x 1
    26. Ben Winders
      Pensive

Ben Winders Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic
      My blue-labaled Coenzymated B1 from Source Naturals arrived today in Belgium (with a stroke of luck I did not have to pay extra import taxes to the DHL guy since the package is coming from the UK).

Took my first sublingual pill just now. I will report back in case of anything, or nothing, happens.

6th of August I should be getting the GABA Calm (as per Lane's report).

Now the most difficult challenge will be to not take the GABA immediately when it comes in as not to compound the two supplements, because in case something works/breaks, I won't really have a way to pinpoint which one is responsible :)

• Agree Agree x 4
    27. Ryan Edwards

Ryan Edwards Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I didn’t get on well with the GABA Calm that arrived yesterday. I took one and it made it difficult for me to sleep. Still feel wired this morning!

• Hug Hug x 2
    28. Ben Winders
      Pensive

Ben Winders Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic
      Give it more time imho. Unless you have an immediate insane reaction of course.

The difficulty sleeping may have any other reason. That's why I will only report back on any supplement after x time of use, not after one day.

• Agree Agree x 2
    29. Ryan Edwards

Ryan Edwards Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      The brain altering effects really didn’t agree with me. I still don’t feel right. I’m not taking another lol but I hope it helps you.

• Hug Hug x 1
    30. Lane

Lane Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hi @Ryan Edwards -- Sorry to hear about that. I make it a habit to try any new supplement in the morning, just in case it might have the potential to disrupt my sleep. Doesn't really matter sometimes whether or not the supplement is good for me, my body just sometimes has a hard time adjusting to something new. I'd say start with a lower dose (like half a lozenge or so) in the morning, and see what happens.

• Agree Agree x 1