Threw Away My AirPods Today

Discussion in 'Support' started by tbuzz89, May 31, 2020.

1. tbuzz89

tbuzz89 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Intrusive 03/2020; Very mild 2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Power Tools as a trigger, AirPods for the long term damage.
      After dealing with an intrusive and fluctuating electrical buzzing tinnitus sound for over two months now, in a fit of rage I threw my AirPods into curbside trash and watched the truck haul them away an hour later.

While I'm pretty sure the onset of my tinnitus is due to an incredibly stressful and anxious period of my life during the first three months of this year, I believe there is an acoustic trauma component due to the reactivity (not sensitivity) I've been experiencing to sounds. The most likely cause is probably noise-induced from the use of a few power tools back in March, perpetuated by long-term earbud use through December of 2019 and the subsequent months of stress, anxiety, and depression that lead up to waking up with on March 20th or so.

I've had good days and bad days where the tinnitus either sounds/feels lower or decides to scream and squeal all freaking day, but these last few days have been some of the worst so far and I'm struggling to remain hopeful. Needless to say, and heeding the advice of many knowledgeable people on this forum, I've gotten rid of any headphones I own as a sort of "closing a chapter" moment on old life habits. If my tinnitus ever (gosh, I hope) goes away, I'll never wear earbuds or headphones again.

Even on the handful of low tinnitus days so far it's still an intrusive beast that I can hear over just about every other sound. Needed to vent as it's been quite a mental battle today dealing with the electrical cacophony in my head.

• Hug Hug x 9
      • Like Like x 1
    2. Lucifer

Lucifer Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      -
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      -
      Should have just sold them man. Why waste money by throwing it out in the trash bin.

Could have used that money for a good cause.

3. Tweedleman
      Depressed

Tweedleman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown/Noise
      I've had to do the same. It sucks, but making these kinds of changes has helped me to "close the chapter" and emerge as a different person.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Hug Hug x 2
    4. Steph1710
      Old hag

Steph1710 Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Antibiotics - I think
      I've also had to do the same.
      I absolutely love this. I'm going to see it as closing a chapter. I suppose life is always changing. Gotta embrace it (even if it's sh*t) and try to move forward.

• Agree Agree x 2
    5. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      @tbuzz89

One of the best things you have done tbuzz89 and I know how you feel. I am an Audiophile and used to listen to music through high quality headphones that eventually gave me tinnitus. It was my fault but didn't realize I was listening at too high a volume. That was 24 years ago and have never used them since. By far these dangerous devices are one of the most common causes of noise induced tinnitus and if a person continues using them, even at low volume they risk the tinnitus getting worse. Often but not always, after a person habituates to NIT and returns to using headphones, earbuds, Airpods or a headset, they are playing Russian roulette with they health, as the tinnitus can increase or spike. If this happens the tinnitus might not return to its previous baseline level. There are many posts in this forum written by members with NIT, and regretted using headphones after habituation.

Michael

• Agree Agree x 2
    6. astaff14

astaff14 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Earwax/Botched Irrigation/Noise Trauma
      Sorry that you had to do so. In the end though I think it’ll lessen some of your symptoms and help your ears to heal, and hopefully give you some quality of life back too.

• Hug Hug x 1
    7. Tybs

Tybs Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Fall from stairs
      Note: reactivity is not always related to sound-induced tinnitus. Mine has a different origin (neck), yet I've experienced reactivity for about six months after onset, until it lowered and finally disappeared.

That said, you did well by getting rid of the Airpods. It is useless to risk creating/increasing sound-induced tinnitus. Personally I don't think that low earbud/headphone sounds are dangerous, but a sound accident can be right around the corner. Just last week, I wanted to watch a YouTube video, but its introduction contained an unexpected major sound effect that shook my ears. Luckily I stopped using headphones last year, so the speaker sound diverged itself into the rest of the room, and no damage was done in the end: but it shows how easy it is to get things messed up in this electronics age.

Take care, I wish you a full recovery despite of the current impact of your tinnitus.

• Hug Hug x 1
    8. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

DebInAustralia Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Nearly 7 years in with tinnitus and hyperacusis here.

I get your frustration and the mental battle that you describe.

I mostly live a near normal existence.

I'm here if you need some support.

For me, it has gotten a lot better (with a few bumps in the road).

• Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    9. vermillion
      Whistles

vermillion Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Fluconazole
      Hello Deb. If you have any advice of how to improve hyperacusis and tinnitus, I'm all ears. Thank you in advance!

• Agree Agree x 1
    10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      tbuzz89

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I agree with this but the AirPods were first gen and at this point barely had any battery life left in them. I think it's something like $50 each Pod and case to have the batteries replaced, so between that and the hygienic concern, it makes them essentially worthless on the secondhand market.

11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      tbuzz89

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @Tybs

I do notice that my tinnitus attenuates substantially when I move my neck around, particularly when I perform a chin tuck exercise. I started physiotherapy two weeks ago in the hopes that it will help alleviate the intensity of the tinnitus. Even if it has a somatic component, not sure if that explains the ear fullness felt especially in the first month after onset as I thought that was more geared towards noise-induced tinnitus.

12. Tybs

Tybs Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Fall from stairs
      Keep up the physio for at least a few months, and make sure to do daily exercises at home as well. On a 10-scale, my tinnitus went down from 9 to about 3 (on average) within two months while I was doing this. If there is a somatic element involved, investigating this is always worthwhile. Just don't overdo it with the exercises (stretch is good, pain is bad).

Of course there is a chance that it does not help your tinnitus in the end, but that is useful information as well: it would mean you can likely exclude the neck as a factor in the equation.

• Like Like x 1
    13. Lucifer

Lucifer Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      -
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      -
      True. I assume you bought them recently and threw them out. Didn’t realise it was first gen.

• Like Like x 1
    14. Andymo

Andymo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Early May 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Possible earbuds and/oxoticity
      Best thing you ever did! I firmly believe I have developed mild H using ear buds while cycling many hours on my road bike during the spring. I'm only just starting to forgive myself; once this process is over I can begin the long bumpy road to habituation. First day started to feel more positive in a week

• Like Like x 2
    15. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      tbuzz89

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @Andymo

Hopefully your hyperacusis and tinnitus begin to fade and eventually go away.

• Like Like x 2
    16. Maarryy123
      Wishful

Maarryy123 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Pop in left ear
      I did it too!
      I look at headphones that people are wearing in disgust and rage!

• Agree Agree x 1