ti-ex Tinnitus Therapy

Discussion in 'Alternative Treatments and Research' started by Michael Larsen, Aug 10, 2016.

1. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Sorry I am unable to do that.....

• Informative Informative x 1
    2. Ecip

Ecip Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Still unknown... possibly noise exposure?
      bummer.

3. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      @Ecip

I think you should get a referral to ENT for tests and then see a Hearing Therapist or Audiologist for help with tinnitus treatment and management.

4. Ecip

Ecip Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      been there, done that.

5. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      What treatment have you had for your tinnitus?

6. Ecip

Ecip Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      nothing in particular. I've tried hyperbaric oxygen therapy, massages, acupuncture, chiropractor, some other weird non invasive massage/chiropractic thing, and various supplements.
      doctors and ENT have no answer. "gotta learn to live with it", they say. and I'm not really interested in taking any hard medications that may be addicting.

• Agree Agree x 1
    7. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      CBT, TRT can help or counselling with a Hearing Therapist. Do you listen to music through headphones even at low volume? If you do then I don't believe this is a good idea since your tinnitus was caused by exposure to loud noise. You have had tinnitus for quite a while. Since you haven't yet habituated you may need the help of the treatments I've mentioned in this post. Do you go to places were loud music is played or work in a noisy environment?

I had TRT and still use medication and white noise generators to manage my tinnitus, in addition to using my Tiex machine. It is my belief, that Tiex worked and still does with these treatments enabling me to have a better quality of life.

Michael

8. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      The original website (tinnitus.cc) seems to redirect to another site now.

9. Ecip

Ecip Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I'd consider myself habituated... I got a middle ear infection a month ago though, that's still healing up, so my T is spiked in the left ear still, but quiteter then it was.Hearing in that ear still isn't back to 100% either. Still a bit muffled, maybe a tiny bit of effusion still in the middle ear. Doctor says it's looking better and healing, and that it can take 2 to 3 months to recover completely.

No music through headphones.. My job is a bit noisy atm, but I do wear earplugs, and I will be switching withing a couple months, and it doesn't seem to have caused any irritation to my T this far, as far as I can tell.

10. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      An ear infection can take up to 3 months or longer to clear up so I agree with the advice your doctor has given you. Therefore, I don't think buying Tiex is the right thing for you to do. My advice if you wish to follow it, is to leave your ears alone and in time you will hopefully make a full recovery.

All the best
      Michael

11. Ecip

Ecip Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I'm not quite sure that you understand my situation. Regardless of the ear infection, I've had noise induced (probably) tinnitus since November 2015. I've habituated fairly well, and unless I'm exposed to loud noise, my T doesnt spike and doesnt bother me much. If something like Tiex can work for me to suppress the tinnitus in both ears to a lower level, then it would be worth it for me as well, especially since the treatment is 20 to 30 mins a day, twice a day. Something like ACRN which has to be done for hours isnt feasible for me. Maybe if I had an office job.

12. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      I see. Well Tiex might help you so give it a try if you want. If you rent it the period of time is for just 4 months. As previously mentioned, I bought it outright and began noticing improvement after 6 months. It was a slow process and I'm still using 7 years on.

Best of luck with whatever you decide to do.
      Michael

13. annV
      Fine

annV Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown - possibly hereditary
      @Allan1967 you bought this ti-ex apparatus? Looking forward to reading how you get on with it.

14. Allan1967

Allan1967 Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      I've ordered it.

Anything is worth a try and I trust @Michael Leigh's judgement although I know it might not work.

Hurry up Neuromod!

15. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      I hope you have some success with Tiex @Allan1967 I would like to give you some advice and hope you don't mind. Try not to become fixated on finding a cure for tinnitus or putting all your hopes on a particular treatment expecting a certain amount of improvement, as this is not the right approach. I say this because of the last comment in your post: Hurry up Neuromod! With this sort of attitude you are setting yourself up for disappointment if your aims and goals are not realized.

It took me 4 years to habituate the second time and believe me when I say I have been to hell and back many times. I have a severe and unusual form of tinnitus according to my Hearing Therapist and ENT consultant, for they don't see many patients with my type of tinnitus.

I have learnt to be patient and try to be a positive thinking person about life and my tinnitus. These two ingredients for want of a better word, are absolutely essential in habituating to tinnitus and living with the condition long term. @fishbone who I regard as the master of positivity and optimism, knows all about this and I advise you to read his posts.

One last thing. If you decide to write about your experience with Tiex, leave it for at least 12 months. I also advise you not to discuss any treatment that you are having at ENT for your tinnitus. It would be better to keep away from tinnitus forums once you start treatment.

Michael

• Informative Informative x 1
    16. Allan1967

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      Thanks Michael. Yes I'm aware of the pitfalls of pinning your hopes on something.

Are you able to tell me or post about your tinnitus please?

I was probably a lot more accepting of my tinnitus within about a year or so the first time around and I'd consider mine 'up there' in terms of intrusiveness so I'd be interested to know how bad it was for you, not out of morbid curiosity you understand but more out of compassion for my fellow sufferers.

If you're not ok to talk about that, it's ok.

Out of curiosity I noticed on a thread where Ti-ex is talked about you said when your tinnitus is intrusive you can feel the headphones on your tinnitus? Did it ever make it worse at any point?

I just read one of their press articles and in it the author said it made his mother-in-law's tinnitus worse and it says that in the instruction manual I saw on line as well, but they recommend persevering.

Did you ever experience it getting worse then better?

17. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      HI @Allan1967

When my tinnitus increased in 2008, I had no idea what was installed for me or the fact that it would take 4 years to get my life back on track. How I made it through those years is still difficult for me to fathom at times. I can only put it down to patience, perseverance and having the support of my Hearing Therapist, ENT consultant and GP and I will be eternally thankful to them. As I mentioned in my post: My experience with tinnitus. After 2 years of having TRT there was some improvement but not like the first time around and I began to feel there was really no hope for me. When my ENT doctor said: "I will never give up on treating you" I saw a glimmer of hope, a very faint light at the end of the tunnel.

When I began using Tiex it did increase my tinnitus and I felt like stopping the treatment. That was until I read it means the treatment is working. Some people give up and they shouldn't. As I have previously said, it has been a long hard road and I am not exaggerating when saying this.

My tinnitus can still reach severe levels but not so often as it used to. Within the last year it has improved more. The tinnitus is completely random so I don't know what tomorrow will bring. It can be completely: silent, mild, moderate or severe. It can occasionally reach extreme severe levels and I will need to take clonazepam to calm it down if it doesn't reduce on its own. Again, I am taking clonazepam less and don't think I've taken it for around 4 weeks. I hasten to add, this could change for as I say the tinnitus is random but more manageable now.

When the tinnitus is silent, mild, moderate I am not bothered by it in the slightest. Even if it is very intrusive/severe, I can cope with it for a day or so. Sometimes it will calm down on it's own or increase, then I might need to take clonazepam. It is not the first thing I go for and will wait to see what happens. As I type the tinnitus is completely silent I can hear a pin drop. These quiet periods although they are nice it is not something I long for as I know things can change.

For me it's all about accepting the way things are, for I am in a much better place than I was from 2008 to 2012 and count myself fortunate. I am still under the care of the hospital, as an outpatient and they look after me very well.

Michael

Last edited: Jan 3, 2019
    18. Allan1967

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      Thanks Michael. When the Ti-ex increased your tinnitus, how long for and at what point i.e. quite soon after you started? I'm dreading that happening as the temptation is to pack in.

19. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      @Allan1967

HI Allan,

I am always happy to try and answer your questions and hope I am of some help. You have a good disposition and are respectful, qualities I admire in people.

Tiex increased my tinnitus from day one and this would last for a few hours and would then subside. This continued for quite a while, over a year in fact. Saying that there were times when I used Tiex and didn't notice an increase in the tinnitus. Tinnitus has made me a more patient and tolerant person so I never let this affect me too much. Eight years on I still use Tiex as I did this morning. My tinnitus began ringing whilst using it but this was subtle and gradually reduced and I just didn't pay it attention as I'm so used to it. As I type the tinnitus is completely silent once again. As I said in my previous post, these quiet periods are nice but if the tinnitus were moderate, it still wouldn't bother me in the slightest.

Remember Allen, my tinnitus is quite severe so your tinnitus may not be affected in the same way when using Tiex. Persist with it and don't give up. Anything worthwhile never comes easily and without some difficulty. It took 4 years for me to habituate and I am glad I never gave up!

Michael

20. Allan1967

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      Thanks Michael. Obviously you'll know that any spike in tinnitus generally sends people into panic mode. Mine has gotten pretty severe since the piano spike although I'm now finding it hard to remember what it was like before hand.

I remember telling my boss during my job interview that I could hear it as we spoke but saying 'it doesn't bother me ' and meaning it, but now it does more plus the anxiety and depression are actually more of a problem then the tinnitus itself.

I'm not unaccustomed to bouts of depression and anxiety...I also seem to bounce back eventually but this has been a wild ride. In fact I've been getting anxious over stuff that is normally water off a ducks back. I nearly threw a panic attack after speaking about nothing with a colleague, two Propanol later and I'm alright.

Really need to get my head together.

21. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      @Allan1967

A resurgence in tinnitus after years of habituation can take a while to adjust to. I found this and it seems the same applies to you. It is one of the reasons, I advised you to first see what help you are able to get via the NHS before starting Tiex treatment. Tinnitus can play havoc with one's mental and emotional wellbeing and I can't reiterate that enough.

Try not to push yourself too hard. If stress and anxiety is becoming too much, have a talk with your GP as I have previously mentioned.

Michael

Last edited: Jan 4, 2019
      • Like Like x 1
    22. peter d

peter d Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6-2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      • Informative Informative x 2
    23. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      @peter d

Very interesting and thank you for posting the website link. I have been using Tiex for 8 years and find it helpful. I bought a second unit a while back as the first one stopped working. My brother is an electronic engineer and repaired it but wanted a second unit as a backup with headphones. Ordinary headphones will not work and when the Tiex headphones are plugged into an audio out-put source no sound is heard. My brother came to the same conclusion as the author of the website. Unless the headphones are dismantled and then rendered useless, there's no way of knowing what's inside - clearly these are not ordinary headphones.

I agree with the author that the cost of internal electronics in Tiex control unit may not amount to much. However, when one considers the inventor spent time researching and designing it, he has to make a living. Like most things manufactured today, it's overheads and labour that people are paying for. Cost of the raw materials are considerably less.

As I have previously mentioned, over the years I have reduced or stopped using Tiex. Each time I have done this, the tinnitus becomes more intrusive after a while to the point where it's quite uncomfortable to live with.

Michael

24. AZeurotuner

AZeurotuner Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I hate to burst this bubble but ti-ex is nothing more than a scam... Have a read.

"Ex Tinnitus Therapy Device This portable electromagnetic device was developed by an Austrian electronics engineer named Gerald Neuwirth in 1998. Mr. Neuwirth had suffered severe tinnitus for many years and had not experienced relief with any therapy. He developed a hand-held device that directed electromagnetic energy into the cochlea and reported that his tinnitus symptoms disappeared after 10 weeks of use.

tiex.jpg The scientific basis of this device is predicated on the belief that electromagnetic waves will stimulate and regenerate hair cells that have been damaged. A quote from their website reads, “In order to understand how ti-ex works, it is important to realize that the hair cells in the inner ear can regenerate. If they are damaged, they regenerate completely from the tip to the root, creating a new hair cell in about two days.”

This dubious statement contradicts all scientific knowledge to date. Hair cells in humans do not regenerate. If they could, or if scientists could find a way to stage the regeneration, hearing loss in humans would become a thing of the past.

Certain cold-blooded animals, such as sharks and frogs can regenerate hair cells. More recently it has been found that some birds can regenerate hair cells as well. This has led to a surge of research into how to duplicate this process in humans. It has not been accomplished so far.

The comparison between a portable electromagnetic device designed for home use and rTMS is a very large stretch. rTMS generators use capacitors that can generate 5,000 to 8,000 Amps. This amount of power is necessary to induce a magnetic field inside the skull which can effectively change the metabolic activity of the auditory cortex. Even at this power level, many researchers believe the magnetic field cannot extend deep enough into the brain to affect tinnitus and that only implanted electrodes will truly accomplish tinnitus relief.

Furthermore, rTMS seems to be effective in interfering with the neuronal changes in the auditory cortex, not by regenerating hair cells.

Ti-ex has not undergone clinical trials. It is available in Europe and costs 290 to 490 Euros (approximately $390.00 to $650.00 US dollars). The device can be found at ti-ex.com/en."​

Science just doesn't back this up at all...

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Winner Winner x 1
    25. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Hi @AZeurotuner

Hope you are keeping well.

You haven't burst my bubble for I know Tiex works for me and will continue using it. There are many that say TRT is a scam without ever trying it but I know it has worked for me, having had the treatment twice. I do not pay too much attention to websites, although some can be quite informative but I'd rather trust my own experiences which I have done using Tiex over the years.

As far as I'm concerned science is lies mixed with the truth. We should believe everything that those with their, MSc, BSc and PhDs tell us. Well I'm not so easily convinced especially when the truth is right in front of me.

All the best
      Michael

26. AZeurotuner

AZeurotuner Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I'm doing well Michael, that's for asking my friend.

The major problem I have is the claim that the device uses electromagnetic pulses to regenerate hearing. Electromagnetic therapy (rTMS, tDCS, DBS, and VNS) has a proven mechanism, which is to reduce hyperactivity in the neural cortex. Nobody but Gerald Neuwirth has ever claimed electromagnetic therapy to have any effect other than on the brain. Not only that but he claimed that hearing can be regenerated in only two days, that is just way too good to be true.

• Agree Agree x 3
    27. InfiniteLoop
      Relaxed

InfiniteLoop Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/21/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      High frequency hearing loss in left ear from head trauma (?)
      The fact that the ti-ex system is basically a forgotten device after 20 years in the market speaks by itself about the kind of relief that provides.

28. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      @AZeurotuner

I agree with you and don't believe Tiex can regenerate hearing. I think it would have been better Gerald Neuwirth, not make such a claim because it will be tested to the hilt by those in the know and if unfounded, one is going to get vilified to say the least. Putting that aside, I am a seasoned veteran to "noise induced" tinnitus and hyperacusis and know, the treatments that have helped me to have, a better quality of life as mentioned in my post, My experience with tinnitus: https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/my-experience-with-tinnitus.12076/

I will always engage in respectful debate with anyone about tinnitus and treatment even if their views differ from mine. Disrespect, insolence and bad manners is an entirely different matter and something that I will not participate in.

It is a pleasure to correspond with you.
      All the best

Michael

• Like Like x 1
    29. annV
      Fine

annV Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown - possibly hereditary
      I read in another topic that you have now cancelled your Ti-ex order? Because you read it makes some people's tinnitus worse? Do you know what's the percentage for it making tinnitus worse?

30. Allan1967

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      I don't know, but I know if it made mine worse, I'd probably freak and throw the thing out. Sooner wait for Neuromod... at least they have top people on board.