Tinnitus and Hyperacusis Have Worsened AGAIN (After Spending an Hour at a 90 dB Restaurant)

Discussion in 'Support' started by dpdx, Nov 12, 2018.

1. jasonbourne

jasonbourne Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise
      Lol

2. Jazzer

Jazzer Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      1/1995
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      From my own perspective I have to say that since I have been contributing to this site I have not met a single person who I would describe as
      a ‘hater - for real!’
      Neither have I encountered anybody that I hate.
      ‘Hate’ is a pretty strong word to be banding about.

There are obviously numerous differences of opinion, differences in character type, and all of the other variables that one would expect in such a large group of people.

But as to:
      Axes to grind
      Dante’s Inferno
      Cannibalisation
      Feuds etc....

Really?

Either I’m quite wrong - or I must be missing out on all the excitement?

PS - I do (reluctantly) admit to a rather wicked sense of humour however - but I would prefer to keep this admission....er.....under wraps if at all poss.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2018
      • Agree Agree x 1
    3. Red
      Crappy

Red Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Exposure (Headphones)
      Most here do not have a lot in common besides our hearing issues. On this website we have the young and the old, the religious and the irreligious, homepathic medicine vs. traditional medicine, different political parties, different economic classes, different ideologies, and no guaranteed shared interests.

Which makes sense because hearing loss doesn't care who you are, what you believe in, or what you like.

• Agree Agree x 5
      • Like Like x 2
    4. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Unfortunately @Jazzer I fully agree with everything @coffee_girl has said in her post. It is for this reason I have had to place certain people on ignore as their intention is to cause me trouble and strife for my opinions and beliefs on tinnitus, and other matters. When these conflicts have arisen, I am not even corresponding with the people concerned, and yet they choose to challenge me. Just another example of extreme bad manners and lack of respect.

Take care
      Michael

5. coffee_girl
      Innocent

coffee_girl Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      All my life, but got worse 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced / Concert
      None of that was directed at you though, I do enjoy teasing you but it's all in good fun... I have zero animosity... If anything I only wish you well and often hope you and your forum groupie are having better days than bad ones.

I don't necessarily agree with Michael's views on dB meters but no need for people to get nasty with him (once again, not you)

Last edited: Nov 14, 2018
      • Like Like x 1
    6. Jazzer

Tinnitus Since:
      1/1995
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Well I don’t blame you Michael.
      We will never get on with everybody in this life.
      We are all capable of speaking a bit too sharply, of being insensitive, too cavalier with our words, of being cynical etc....
      I know for absolutely dead certain that I am !!

For me, one deeply sensitive issue is to see the devastation of severe Tinnitus under played and misrepresented by the ‘ I got over it, and so can you brigade.’

This bastard thing took my passion in life, my career, my income, my joie de vivre, my composure, my silence.....etc.....
      If anybody feels like it’s ‘open season’ to misrepresent or demean the significance of that, well then they’d better be wearing a suit of armour if I ever come across them.
      I will absolutely not tolerate any of that shit.

I mention this just to illustrate where trigger points can cause division among the ranks.

However - we all have to deal with this thing our own way - and making some space is sometimes the right thing to do I’m sure.

Best wishes
      Dave x

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Hug Hug x 1
    7. Mark A
      Wishful

Mark A Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/05/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      Same here, I was finally in a state of not thinking about my tinnitus anymore and became complacent. Life was so good again. What a huge mistake as I forgot how fragile my hearing really is. Accidental or not, I am really going through a rough time right now dealing with much much louder tinnitus, and regretting every second of the day for letting my guard down.

I'm curious about:

1. Why headphones are so dangerous. I use them instead of a phone so I can hear the conversation through both ears allowing me to keep the volume really low. With a handset in one ear, I feel the volume has to be a little higher to understand the caller.

2. Is there a definition to mild, moderate, severe, or extreme severe levels of tinnitus? How can it be measured?

Other than that, I would rather be dead than alive right now, but checking out is not an option!

Really appreciate Tinnitus Talk even if it gets a little heated up at times :)

8. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      I know where you are coming from @Jazzer and how passionate you feel about tinnitus especially when the severity of it is misrepresented as something that can easily be ignored or dismissed. There is distinct difference between you and others that are like you when voicing your opinions especially on a controversial matter as you and I had recently. Even when your language is sharp and a little unsavoury for want of a better word. You deliver it with class and whit so you are able to get away with it for you leave that ounce of respect towards a person so no offence or insult if felt. At least not in my case.

Carry on Jazzer because I like your style and verve. I hope those watching you in action, will learn a thing or two about decorum.

Take care
      Michael

9. Wolfears

Wolfears Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Jan 20/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely accoustic trauma
      I second that sentiment and I'm pretty sure there are many others as well.

Those who are trying to downplay the suffering of severe Tinnitus better be ready for a shit storm coming their way.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    10. Jazzer

Tinnitus Since:
      1/1995
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      One of my mates said to me once:
      “Dave - when I saw you last week you were an arse’ole.
      Now I don’t for one minute want you to worry about it mate.
      Everybody on this earth is an arse’ole at times.
      Last week it just happened to be your turn!
      The trick now is to let someone else have a turn.”

• Funny Funny x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    11. jay777

jay777 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      benzo/ headphones
      If I have seen a dog with 2 dicks he has seen one with 3.

• Funny Funny x 5
    12. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      HI @Mark A
      I am sorry to know that your tinnitus has increased and hope it becomes more manageable with time. I have written many posts in this forum about the dangers of Headphones for people that have "noise induced" tinnitus even at low volume. Not everyone with NIT are affected but it is a risk I advise people don't take. A few days ago someone in this forum telephoned me, whose tinnitus has increased significantly due to listening to headphones at low volume. This person knew of the risks and is no full of regret.

There are many posts in this forum from people regretting using headphones after they have habituated. Two months ago, another member contacted to say she had habituated for 6 years and the tinnitus was low. She began using headphones at low volume. Within one week the tinnitus increased to severe levels and will not reduce. She is unable to return to work due to the distress she is in.

Please go to my article: Tinnitus, A Personal View, there is a piece in there about Headphones and Tinnitus.
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/tinnitus-a-personal-view.18668/

It is up to you whether you want to continue using headphones.
      I advise against it but wish you well.

Take care
      Michael

13. Bam

Bam Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neck/stress
      I third that sentiment. Whether it’s some guy whose had this a week bounding on to this forum like Pawel f***ing Jastraboff on crack, or people who have been on here a while and should know better but seem to delight in being inflammatory and insensitive, it royally pisses me off.

Some people need to wind their necks in. Good people here are suffering horribly and the message to the world needs to be clear and concise. We need a cure. Not more bullshit.

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Winner Winner x 2
    14. Red
      Crappy

Red Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Exposure (Headphones)
      It's subjective. Just like the bs smiley-frownie face pain scale 1-10 doctors and hospitals use.
      My personal scale is this:

Negligible: Don't even know you have it. Probably only find out during a power outage.
      Very mild: Can only hear in a quiet room.
      Mild: Masked in rooms with gentle ambience, can mask with sound machines, sound of tones resembles white noise.
      Mildly moderate: In most non-loud situations it can be heard.
      Moderate: Can be heard everywhere but showers and dangerously loud places. Masking can make tinnitus sound more pleasing. Some difficulty focusing but can be improved with habituation.
      Borderline Severe: Can be heard slightly over a shower.
      Severe: Regular noise becomes background noise to your tinnitus. Difficult to focus. Even dangerously loud noises can't drown it.
      Very Severe: Unsure.
      Catastrophic: Unsure.

Take with grain of salt.

• Like Like x 4
    15. Wolfears

Tinnitus Since:
      Jan 20/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Yes getting the word out there will be one of the biggest challenges indeed.
      Most people either never heard of Tinnitus, or thanks to "leading ENT's" who are spreading misinformation about Tinnitus (such as the guy who claimed it is 20db at the most and therefore no big deal), they think it's just a minor annoyance.

Therefore parallels need to be rightfully drawn between Tinnitus and other torturous (in that category mostly lethal) conditions, including being crippled etc...
      That is the only way the nonchalant and uneducated attitudes about Tinnitus in the medical community will ever change and that is the only way average people will "get it".

Of course it doesn't help, that there are way too many Tinnitus apologists on this very board, whom will go out of their way and try to counter your every step, which will no doubt water down the message.

Either way it needs to be heard...it might take some time, but it will happen eventually.

• Agree Agree x 4
      • Like Like x 1
    16. Bam

Bam Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neck/stress
      There are glimpses of the true reality even in mainstream media. Interviews where doctors ‘touch on’ suicidal ideation. But all too often its just as quickly brushed under the carpet so as not to ‘scare people’. Very much like the BTA situation.....We want money to cure this disease, but don’t panic, it’s not that bad if you get it and you’ll ‘cope’.

This wishy washy middle ground exists in the abscence of a cure. And the abscence of a cure (and the urgency and money) is caused by this wishy washy middle ground!

It’s a catch 22 and it will only be broken when people become emboldened to tell the truth of the hell of T. Not just us, but the associations, the doctors, the ENT’s, everyone!

People need to be scared shitless that screeching suicidal noise that never ends could easily become their ‘new silence,’ ending life as they know it.

If you are an apologist on this forum, you are part of the problem, not the solution. You are burying your head in the f***ing sand while people with the same condition as you suffer endlessly.

The truth shall set us all free!

• Winner Winner x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    17. Wolfears

Tinnitus Since:
      Jan 20/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Once again, you have captured the whole essence of this rather schizophrenic status quo in a short but brilliant way.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    18. gav01

gav01 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      It seems that a lot of places are just too loud. I measured the sound level in my gym and it reaches 91db on my phone. I wear those yellow 3m earplugs and just stuff them in my ears because sometimes I have to talk to people and it gets annoying taking them out briefly but I am sure even just having them in my ear (all be it not perfectly fitted) still brings it down to a safe level (I'd guess 82 decibels). plus the fact that I don't spend more than an hour and a half in the gym.

19. Wolfears

Tinnitus Since:
      Jan 20/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Gyms are one of those places that are predictably unpredictable.
      Lot of people lifting lot of weight, which consist mostly of metal plates clacking against one another.

Also lot of attention seekers, whom will purposely drop a heavy weight on the grond just to show off..this is of course followed by big metallic explosion of rattling plates that resonates throughout the whole building.

Gym is probably one of the places where ear protection should be mandatory.
      Hard to cover your ears when you are in the middle of a bench press..

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Informative Informative x 1
    20. Agrajag364

Agrajag364 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Yes hmm @coffee_girl some people are a bit politer to me here since I wacked the female pic off my profile. Not super unusual on the internet.

I don't understand all the fallouts over perspective either.

• Agree Agree x 1
    21. Agrajag364

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Agree. Mine was spiked by going to an odeon luxe cinema with slightly louder sound. Back down after three weeks though

22. coffee_girl
      Innocent

coffee_girl Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      All my life, but got worse 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced / Concert
      Lol check out the previous responses to my comment; when all else fails resort to misogynistic implications :ROFL:.

• Agree Agree x 2
    23. Jazzer

Tinnitus Since:
      1/1995
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      .....all in good fun.....

8CF3F40B-6448-4613-A1E7-9EF77558442E.jpeg

• Funny Funny x 1
    24. Agrajag364

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Yeah it's not usually funny when you're on the receiving end of that shit jazzer. Disappointed to hear that from you.

• Funny Funny x 1
    25. Jazzer

Tinnitus Since:
      1/1995
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      When a lady says “when all else fails - resort to misogynistic implications” there is more than a hint of caprice implied, or am I wrong - yet again?

I still remember times when it was possible to have some verbal fun between the sexes.
      Situation comedy depends on it.
      It’s sometimes referred to as banter.

Women per se have my greatest respect.
      I love them.
      However, if you truly believe that I am a misogynist and wish to burn me at the stake, I’ll offer myself up as a worthy candidate.

(Blimey - falling on my sword is getting to be a bit of a habit lately.
      Fortunately I missed last time....)

26. Agrajag364

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I don't think you are a misogynist. However you have been eloquent in your descriptions of the effects that ill health have had on your life. My most serious ill-health started with some health care that was undoubtedly down to systemic sexism within the surgical profession. I don't base this on an idle supposition but on a lot of research – peer-reviewed publications have showed that women have a greater problem in getting pain taken seriously and this can have significant secondary effects. I mourn the loss of the joy I had in my life every bit as much as you. My point is sexist attitudes are often not benign. Jokey banter is awesome but doesn't have to include sneering at feminism – by God was that movement ever needed. To be fair people are always going to do that and it doesn't bother me too much -i'm not surprised that bears shit in the woods et cetera –but somehow you give me the impression of being a kind hearted soul so I thought I'd take a minute to explain, that in my humble opinion at least, sexism isn't always a joke or benign. It can have serious effects even for otherwise privileged women in rich western countries.

https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/...th-service-does-not-just-harm-women-1.3636021

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-...mean-doctors-ignore-womens-pain-a7157931.html

• Like Like x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    27. Jazzer

Tinnitus Since:
      1/1995
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise

Thank you so much for giving me a background AJ.
      I honestly meant no harm and I think you know that.
      I also absolutely know that you suffer, as do I.
      We only really have one enemy on here, and I won’t honour it by mentioning its name.
      I hope we both manage to have at least a half way reasonable day.
      love
      Dave x

28. Greg Sacramento

Greg Sacramento Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing + Somatic tinnitus from dental work
      @Agrajag364

That appears to be true within most of the world and the USA, however it's the opposite within the state of California. The reason for women receiving better care in California is because some religious associated hospitals have special focus on women of child bearing age.

The biggest problem by far in the USA is wealth and power status known in hospitals as who's your daddy. The rich are given private VIP suites, private doctors and nurses at the hospital's expense. VIPs often receive fresh cut flowers daily. All costs are at the hospital's expense over basic insurance.

I've seen many VIPs with tinnitus get admitted straight from the ER to a private room with the best medical care procedures available. IV drugs, ear injections, and complete exams by ENTs. HBOT and oxygen treatments given for a week and then special outpatient status. Again all costs over basic insurance expense are at the hospital's expense.

29. Agrajag364

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Inclined to agree that classism often trumps sexism in some walks of life! In healthcare I'm not sure but I've never been to California! Overtreatment and private greed in healthcare can introduce a level of harm and complexity as well though but that's a whole other can of worms. It is a bit vomitus to think of people with new onset tinnitus being rushed off for treatment rather than being told there's no treatment....might only help if they have sudden hearing loss though?

Greg do I recall that you have TMJ linked tinnitus? How is yours now?

30. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      dpdx
      Disappointed

dpdx Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Onset:09/23/2017 Worsened: 1/17/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma, worsened by caloric test/VEMP test 90db nhL
      Sadly it didn't get better. If I could go back in time I would have never done that caloric/cvemp test. I have damaged my hearing further and increased T permanently, on top of that I exposed myself to loud sounds (running next to a busy road and being at a loud resturant - I got too cocky!).