Tinnitus and Valium (Diazepam)

Discussion in 'Support' started by Joel31, Aug 18, 2018.

1. Joel31

Joel31 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      This might be a strange question, but has anybody noticed that their tinnitus drops significantly after taking Valium?

I was prescribed it a while ago, but never usually took it. Today I had 10mg, and the effects of tinnitus has dropped 90%, which is a huge relief for me.

Of course there are many downfalls with taking this medication which I am aware of.

One of them, for me is that the tinnitus actually increases temporarily when the Valium wears off (within 30 minutes).

The other is possible addiction.

Does anybody know of any studies in relation to the matter at hand?

2. BobbyH

BobbyH Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustical trauma
      Here is one study, see page 8 regarding Valium.

In my experience, anxiety and the related stress exacerbates tinnitus. Benzodiazepines such as Valium reduces your anxiety which tends to help those bothered by tinnitus. Benzodiazepines do not cure nor reduce tinnitus but rather reduces your anxiety over it.

In my case, I’m prescribed Ativan to help me cope when my tinnitus begins to overwhelm me. The volume and frequency of my tinnitus remains the same; the Ativan just keeps me from going off the deep end. I cycle and taper so I’m not addicted nor suffer withdrawal symptoms. I also have other meds to control the anxiety associated with my tinnitus.

Hope this helps you,
      Bobby

3. CricketEars

CricketEars Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2003
      I had someone tell me today that their doctor recommended a low dose of Valium for recurrent vertigo and it went away permanently. Not sure what the mechanism might be.

4. lymebite
      Vegged out

lymebite Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      It seems fairly well established that benzos, including Valium, can lower the volume of tinnitus in many patients. Clonazepam often seems to be the preferred benzo for this purpose, but others can have a similar effect.

Some details here:

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/posts/245872/

5. Frayact

Frayact Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Long before I was afflicted with tinnitus, I suffered from panic attacks. My first one happened when I was 27 and continued off and on for a couple of years. Now I'm 61 and still have one on rare occasions. Valium definitely helps me get through those episodes. A lot of people who have tinnitus also have a history of depression and panic attacks prior to acquiring it.

Taking Valium has never made my tinnitus worse and, in fact, has helped me through some very rough patches when the noise got unbearable, especially at night. I've also been on a number of antidepressants in the 26 years I've had tinnitus. None of them ever made my condition worse.

• Hug Hug x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    6. dd314

dd314 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma + stress?
      Is there any harm in a weekly Valium, taking indefinitely? If you stick to a strictly once per week regimen, the risk for tolerance and dependence is basically zero.

Does anyone do this? Any reason not to (in regards to ototoxicity)?

7. Nick47

Nick47 Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Viral/noise
      Valium is not bloody damaging to the inner ear. FFS.

Once a week is fine @dd314, in my opinion.

I take 1-2 mg daily, only occasionally missing a day. It's a low dose and probably not worth it but I do it anyway.

8. DeanD

DeanD Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Mild since 1982 - then Severe Oct 2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Microsuction (Oct 2022)
      I have been prescribed Valium, not for tinnitus but as a muscle relaxant and to help ease anxiety (if I have any - jury still out on that one).

I have been hesitant because I have avoided meds like the plague, especially benzos, but my GP won't prescribe a full muscle relaxant as I'm waiting to be diagnosed so this was intended as a stop gap to take as and when needed.

I have been so anti-meds since joining here.

Looking online about bad stories relating to any medication and you'll end up too scared to take a damn thing.

9. BrysonKingMe

BrysonKingMe Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Paradoxical on Klonopin leading to a shitton of other proble
      This is not true at all.

10. makeyourownluck
      Magical

makeyourownluck Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Valium was a godsend for me. I take 15 mg daily for muscle spasms. It doesn’t help my ear fullness so that must be nerve related. It also has zero effect on my tinnitus (good or bad). No medication has impacted my tinnitus and I’m on an ever evolving cocktail.

Last year some of the comments on this forum had me scared to take Paracetamol. Funny looking back at it now.

My tinnitus is from hearing loss, probably caused by shingles.

• Like Like x 4
      • Hug Hug x 1
    11. Strawberryblonde
      Chowing

Strawberryblonde Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      1st mild (6/12/2015) mild-mod (3/5/2022)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      HEADPHONES/TMJ/ETD/SINUSES/AMITRIPTYLINE one of them???
      Same here. I've popped all sorts of medicines in the past without worry or spike and now I'm worrying about taking a Paracetamol lol. Being on here makes me paranoid at times reading some of the stuff posted. :)

• Agree Agree x 8
      • Like Like x 1
    12. dd314

dd314 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma + stress?
      It's true for low doses.

13. Nick47

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Viral/noise
      It depends on the dose and half life. Diazepam has a long half life, but a dose under 10 mg once a week should be ok.

14. Ryan Scott
      Inspired

Ryan Scott Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      Are you still taking the Valium? I was off it for a while but have been back on it for about 3 weeks.

I have been taking 2 mg in the evenings for sleep.

15. Nick47

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Viral/noise
      Yes, I get through about 45 mg diazepam a month and 5 mg of Clonazepam.

• Like Like x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    16. momus

momus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/1998
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      antibiotics
      Valium is very addictive, but not necessarily to everyone that takes it. If you have the self-discipline to take it only once a week, I don't see you getting addicted to it. Just keep in mind that it is an addictive drug, so if you catch yourself taking it more often, you should lay off it for spell.

Valium was a big thing in the 60's - 80's. Lots of shrinks prescribed it to people, especially to housewives. After taking it for extended periods of time, it seemed as if they HAD to take it to feel "normal". So it is addictive if taken for long periods of time, and once a tolerance is built up, people need to increase their dosage to get the same effect. This is classic addictive stuff.