Tinnitus Changed from High-Pitched Eeeee to a Low Hissing/Fizzing Sound — Good Sign?

Discussion in 'Support' started by CT84, Apr 7, 2020.

1. CT84

CT84 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hi,

My tinnitus started 4 weeks ago.

It began with very high pitched eeeee sound which was constant.

During the last 3 days it's changed to a low hissing/fizzing sound in my head, with the odd second of the high pitch trying to break through again.

I have no idea what caused my tinnitus.

I did suffer a nervous breakdown recently, medication was increased (Sertraline) and suffered a head injury after blacking out. Also was told I had an ear infection and was given a course of antibiotics. So the cause could be any of those things.

I don't know if this is a good thing or not that the sound has changed? I still feel pressure behind my nose and in ears as well as throbbing in head and ears sometimes.

I can't see a doctor due to the coronavirus pandemic, so I'm wondering if anybody on here has some words of wisdom for me?

• Like Like x 1
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    2. Gabriel
      Depressed

Gabriel Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I focused on verifying if I had tinnitus
      It's a good sign.
      Me and other people with tonal high pitch tinnitus have noticed it going from pitch to hiss and then disappearing.

Continue curing your ear infection, and maybe try tappering off Sertraline? To the level it was before.
      SSRI are known to possibly give tinnitus.

• Like Like x 1
    3. monkey124

monkey124 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unkown
      Mine has turned into a hiss now as well - 11 weeks into this now so am praying it will lower / totally go! Xx

• Like Like x 3
    4. PhoenixAcademy

PhoenixAcademy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise?
      Mine goes back and forth and changes all the time and even changes ears.

• Hug Hug x 1
    5. Maddy Oliveira

Maddy Oliveira Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I have no idea other than ETD/ear infections bAck in 2014.
      Mine changes too. Sounds were a low hiss, then faint pitch tone Eeeeeeeeee and then low hiss but I feel like a small ringing is trying to break through again. I also had an ear infection/retracted ear drum... it’s in both ears though. Started last month. I’m sorry you’re going through this.

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      CT84

CT84 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I'm sorry you are also... it's hellish.

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      CT84

CT84 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Fingers are crossed for you ❤

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      CT84

CT84 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Thank you for this hope!

As much as I'd love to come off the Sertraline, I'm just not well enough! I had previously been on it at a dose of 50mg for 3 years with no tinnitus... but after 4 weeks of the increase to 100mg the tinnitus started so I have no clue if it's the Sertraline.
      It seems the list of causes for tinnitus is endless!

9. Gabriel
      Depressed

Gabriel Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      It's not false hope by the way ;)

I really did "work" for me and I find it very interesting that we are several to notice that kind of change. I think it's the brain trying to fade the sound in the background.

I mean the list is not that long! But yes there are a lot of possibilities.
      But SSRIs are definitely one of it. Lots of people have got tinnitus after starting it/upping the dose.
      And also people seeing it disappearing after lowering the dose.

So I would recommend you try to go back to 50mg!

Also, another advice: don't focus on tinnitus, stop thinking of it.

The brain has the faculty to make it disappear if you LET IT. So stop looking for the sound, don't check if it's there if you can't hear it ;)

Good luck everyone.

• Like Like x 2
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      CT84

CT84 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I am really trying to figure out how to do this, it's almost like it becomes an obsession!
      I am going to try this, already got it down to 75mg but it's a slow process due to the nasty side effects.

Thanks so much for the support x

11. Tybs

Tybs Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Fall from stairs
      To be fair, this depends on the cause: it doesn't apply on physical origins like with pulsatile tinnitus, since those sounds are "real". I'd believe it applies to this case though :)

• Agree Agree x 1
    12. Aaron44126
      Balanced

Aaron44126 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      July 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Eustachian tube dysfunction (from infection / labyrinthitis)
      Mine did this. I had high-pitched straight tone "eeeeeeee" for the first five weeks or so. Then I had another five weeks or so when it was going through a lot of changes, including a hissing/buzzing sound for a while. It never went away completely but it did stop changing and lowered in frequency and volume substantially from what it was at the beginning... I habituated after a few months and rarely pay it any mind anymore.

(Interesting thing, it does flare up a bit when a cold is coming on. It's the first symptom, sort of like an early warning sign.)

• Like Like x 2
    13. Jaka
      Wishful

Jaka Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Mine is doing this right now as I write this.

It also feels like that the hissing/buzzing electrical kind of sound is fighting with the "eeee" in the background.
      I hope that this is what neuron rewiring sounds like and that it will sort itself out.

High aerobic physical activity usually helps the electrical sounds fight the background "eeee" and that in turn quiets everything down a bit.

I am not a fan of benzodiazepines but I once tried bromazepam (had only calming effect) and on other occasion clonazepam, which actually brought the volume down (and also made me more tired).

For now I don't want to mess with the chemical neurotransmiters in my brain and I'll give it time to try to sort itself out without "substances"

Let's hope for everyone that this really means healing :)

• Like Like x 3
    14. Gabriel
      Depressed

Gabriel Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      True, but for me pulsatile tinnitus is not "really" tinnitus. I mean it is but as you said it is 100% physical and can be "cured" with vasodilator or some stuff like that for some cases, and the sound heard is real.

15. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      CT84

CT84 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hi, I just read your success story. Sounds like I could have written it myself... except for the success and habituation part. I feel exactly how you describe, like this will never get better and I'll NEVER get used to it. I too have diagnosed OCD, and that frightens me as I feel like that will not allow me to get used to the tinnitus. Your story gives me hope. But at the moment I'm sooo struggling, I don't sleep, and when I do I wake a jittering anxious wreck at the thought of having another day of this hell.

16. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      CT84

CT84 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      @Aaron44126 also... a long time ago I know but can you remember what sudafed you took, spray, tablet? I've got the same ear symptoms you describe.

17. Tybs

Tybs Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Fall from stairs
      I fully agree. Sadly though, many ENT's do not: they prefer to just shove all the cases below one big T banner. That way, no further diagnosis is needed, and we can just "live with it" :rolleyes:

On a bit more positive note: of course there are also doctors out there who take us seriously. It's a shame they're so hard to find though.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    18. Aaron44126
      Balanced

Aaron44126 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      July 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Eustachian tube dysfunction (from infection / labyrinthitis)
      I got regular 24-hour Sudafed, just tablets, it is available "behind the counter" at most U.S. pharmacies (you have to ask for it but you do not need a prescription). Not sure what the availability is like in the U.K.. Note, "Sudafed PE" which is available off the shelf is not the same thing.

It was very, very rough for me for the first two or three months and it was the better part of a year before I started to feel really normal. Hang in there. I believe that it will get better for you too.

• Like Like x 1
    19. Bill Arsenault

Bill Arsenault Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Permanent/Highly intrusive since 2017.
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Over Exposure. Worsened by ototoxic Street Drugs/Meds.
      In my experience- and from what others say around here - its a great sign.
      My best days are when the high pitched piercing tones and tea kettles from hell are downgraded to the sounds of punctured truck tires and frying bacon.

But you are experiencing a positive trend in my opinion.

Best wishes and stay well.

• Like Like x 1
    20. Aaaron8

Aaaron8 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Feb 20
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      My tinnitus started as high pitch and then went to low hiss for about a week that was barely noticeable. Unfortunately in the past 24 hours it has now gone to a more intense static hiss and it's the first time I haven't been able to sleep with tinnitus.

I am only 3 weeks in so hoping and praying my brain is just figuring this out.

• Hug Hug x 2
    21. Andrea Rings

Andrea Rings Member

Tinnitus Since:
      August 3, 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I agree, @Aaron44126. The beginning was pure hell. I'm 9 months in, and each day is slightly better. Baby steps accumulate. To all the T sufferers, hang in there.

22. CAgirl

CAgirl Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      3 M80 Firecrackers
      Hi everyone. I’m reading all your stories. My tinnitus is noise-induced from a neighbor setting off fireworks at close range. I had no warning. I wasn’t even at a party. Just in my backyard at dusk packing boxes for our upcoming move.

As a result, I’m on Day 11 of the most annoying hissing sound in my left ear. I hear it over everything, even the A/C, the TV, etc. so it’s not maskable. It sounds like electrical lines/hissing/static. I’ve had a very maskable version of tinnitus (eeeee) in my opposite ear for 15 years that I only hear in quiet rooms. This is a completely different animal as I can hear it day and night. I’ve lost weight since it’s happened and am barely sleeping. My anxiety is on overdrive from morning when I wake up and hear it (loud!) to night when I somehow fall asleep. I have always worn earplugs and am careful with my hearing which makes it that much more devastating.

Is there still hope this will go away or at least lower in intensity?? I feel like my life is over. :(

Attached Files:

23. tbuzz89

tbuzz89 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Intrusive 03/2020; Very mild 2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Power Tools as a trigger, AirPods for the long term damage.
      @CAgirl

Yes, there is still hope. You're only 11 days in which in tinnitus time is extremely short. I'm almost four months in with the same type of electrical hiss, and while it's still unmaskable, I do believe it has gotten better. Some days/moments are worse than others, but I can finally say that I think it's slowly getting better, so there's hope for you as well. It takes a long time for ears to heal, many many months. Seems like you already take precautions with your hearing, so continue to do so and allow time to heal.

I know it's scary and it feels like life is over at times. Believe me, I still struggle with that even now some days and everyone here will understand how you feel. I think there's a good chance that over time you will begin to feel much better.

24. CAgirl

CAgirl Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      3 M80 Firecrackers
      tbuzz89. Ok thanks for talking me off the cliff. This is so tough. And no one around me really understands how traumatic loud intrusive tinnitus is. I will try to be patient and hope for some healing. Was yours also noise-induced?

25. CAgirl

CAgirl Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      3 M80 Firecrackers
      @tbuzz89

26. tbuzz89

tbuzz89 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Intrusive 03/2020; Very mild 2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Power Tools as a trigger, AirPods for the long term damage.
      I’m pretty sure it’s a combination of acoustic trauma and severe stress/anxiety. At the time of onset I was in the middle of a nervous breakdown that was ongoing for two and a half months pretty much. My life was very quiet for that time but I had been a heavy earbuds user for at least five years before, so that’s the most likely cause. I’ve since thrown away all my headphones.

My only hope at this point is for it to fade away. For all of us.

• Like Like x 1
    27. PrayForMe
      Pooptoast

PrayForMe Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10th September 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Blocking my ear with oil
      Hi,

I have had tinnitus for 5 weeks now from fluid in my ear. The first 2 weeks were bad with the constant ringing chirping moving from my right infected to ear to my left and my brain. Then it calmed down and then week 3 I had a spike and from there it’s gone to a hiss and it is just mainly in my right ear and head now. Is this a positive sign?

I have read that fluid in the ear can remain up to 3 months. Doctor said to come back if the ringing isn’t better in 3/4 weeks. I am reluctant to go because I don’t want them to diagnose me with chronic tinnitus.

I am hoping it will fix itself and it will probably take its time too. But during the day I can often forget about it now and I have moments where it’s no longer as constant as it was before.

Anyone had any similar stories?

I do feel like I still have fluid in my ears. Some moments my right ear can feel a tad full and I hear popping and cackling.

• Hug Hug x 1
    28. Psych
      Wishful

Psych Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Many moons...
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I would think it will get better with time. Hope you've had some improvement!

29. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

DebInAustralia Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      I hope you are feeling better.

Did you end up taking the Amitriptyline?

Which antibiotics were you given?

• Hug Hug x 1
    30. Jinxy2301

Jinxy2301 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      COVID-19
      @Psych, did you improve at all?