Tinnitus Disappears When I Lie Down — Does Anyone Else Experience This?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Steph1710, May 12, 2020.

1. Steph1710
      Old hag

Steph1710 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/04/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Antibiotics - I think
      Hi all!

I was wondering whether anyone else experiences their tinnitus disappearing when they lay down? It takes about a minute to go but it does go every time. As far as tinnitus goes, I'm pretty pleased about it because it allows me to sleep peacefully without sound enrichment.

I'm just wondering whether that means there's a physical element to my tinnitus.

Any ideas most welcome.

Steph X

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    2. johnsole65
      No Mood

johnsole65 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      For most I would expect lying down (on their side) makes them more sensitive.

Have you had any jaw issues TMJ etc?

• Like Like x 1
    3. high frequencies

high frequencies Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      amoxicillin/dexketoprofen/tolperisone
      Hey. What type of noise that disappears? My noise is high-frequency 12-13kHz when I go to bed amplified. I hear him everywhere even in the forest with the wind and birdsong :(. You are lucky!

• Hug Hug x 1
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Steph1710
      Old hag

Steph1710 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/04/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Antibiotics - I think
      @johnsole65

No issues that I know of. I was lying in bed this morning testing it out. I would roll over - which would start my tinnitus off (I have it in both ears) but after I'd settled down again, it would stop in both ears.

Very strange. Tinnitus is so weird... And by weird, I mean annoying and unpredictable.

Steph x

• Like Like x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Steph1710
      Old hag

Steph1710 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/04/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Antibiotics - I think
      @high frequencies

All the nose will stop in both ears. I have so many tones and frequencies that I can't even measure my tinnitus.

6. Sevv

Sevv Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud concert
      Dunno, but it's a strong somatic element. Maybe bad posture, stiff muscles, or low blood pressure (blood flows better when lying down)? It's definitely unusual. Mine goes a bit down when I lie on my back, but that is just because of relaxation.

• Like Like x 1
    7. ASilverLight
      In pain

ASilverLight Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      That's the question.
      I can't say mine goes away entirely, but some noises come and go depending on my position in bed.

• Like Like x 1
    8. johnsole65
      No Mood

johnsole65 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Well you have me curious!

Can you try sitting on a chair and tilting your head back across the top to see if it stops.

Does it stop when you are resting your neck or do you need you need to be parallel to the celing?

9. Tavia R

Tavia R Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Born with condition
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Born with condition-recently diagnosed/treated for migraines
      It sounds like somatic tinnitus, one of the things I came across in my endless research when trying to find a solution myself. Pretty much the theory is (I think, don't quote me on this) that there are problems with the surrounding muscles, bones, etc of the head, neck, and shoulders that interfere with the nerves and brain area associated with the ears. Adjustments in the body can affect tinnitus levels (like lying down like you said) and even if it's not the whole cause it can be a small or significant portion.

In my case for example, I know that I was born with tinnitus so it is very unlikely that my tinnitus is completely somatic, but when I'm wearing a very heavy backpack and have to bend over to pick something up, or push on a my temples, my tinnitus gets temporarily louder for those moments.
      I saw a video of Dr Jay Hobbs of Synergy on YouTube (I don't recommend him, that's just the video I watched, the guy rambles and makes promises of giving information, and then never gives you any information) and he mentioned (only mentions) something about exercises and manipulating and treating the surrounding structures around the ears to help quiet the tinnitus. It may not completely take it away, but it may help greatly reduce it by taking away one of the main contributing factors. Or what the hell, it may take it away. Let's hope for a miracle.

Good luck honey, I hope that helps, I didn't look into it too much so I may be wrong on a point or two, I don't want to give bad info. Anyways, give that a good search into or ask your ENT what they think, I personally would rather invest my energy into getting rid of my hyperacusis so when I found this I thought it was brilliant but I just never looked into it deeper.

10. Tweedleman
      Depressed

Tweedleman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown/Noise
      Wow, I wish. Mine gets worse when I lay down. Especially sleeping on my side, the ear facing down will just scream.

• Hug Hug x 1
    11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Steph1710
      Old hag

Steph1710 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/04/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Antibiotics - I think
      @johnsole65 yeah that does nothing. It only seems to be when I'm lying flat. I reckon it's more to do with being relaxed rather than anything else. I fall asleep so easily so I guess that helps.

12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Steph1710
      Old hag

Steph1710 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/04/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Antibiotics - I think
      @Tweedleman that sucks dude :( I hope mine never does that. Then I really wouldn't be able to function.

13. Anxinnitus
      Spaced

Anxinnitus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Valsalva Left Ear / Ototoxic Right
      If my T lowered in volume when I lay down I would live life horizontally!

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Funny Funny x 2
    14. Nobody19

Nobody19 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Clubbing
      No, but my reactive tinnitus is sensitive to the way I position my neck/head.

• Like Like x 1
    15. dan
      Chatty

dan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      Oh oh I got it! Don't stand up...

• Funny Funny x 1
    16. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Steph1710
      Old hag

Steph1710 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/04/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Antibiotics - I think
      @dan unfortunately I have intracranial pressure, so if I lay down for extended periods - it feels like my head will explode!

So no. That's not an option you cheeky git! :p

• Funny Funny x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1