Tinnitus Disappears When I Lie Down — Does Anyone Else Experience This?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Steph1710, May 12, 2020.

1. Steph1710
      Old hag

Steph1710 Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Antibiotics - I think
      Hi all!

I was wondering whether anyone else experiences their tinnitus disappearing when they lay down? It takes about a minute to go but it does go every time. As far as tinnitus goes, I'm pretty pleased about it because it allows me to sleep peacefully without sound enrichment.

I'm just wondering whether that means there's a physical element to my tinnitus.

Any ideas most welcome.

Steph X

• Friendly Friendly x 2
      • Hug Hug x 1
    2. johnsole65
      No Mood

johnsole65 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      For most I would expect lying down (on their side) makes them more sensitive.

Have you had any jaw issues TMJ etc?

• Like Like x 1
    3. high frequencies

high frequencies Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      amoxicillin
      Hey. What type of noise that disappears? My noise is high-frequency 12-13kHz when I go to bed amplified. I hear him everywhere even in the forest with the wind and birdsong :(. You are lucky!

• Hug Hug x 2
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Steph1710
      Old hag

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Antibiotics - I think
      @johnsole65

No issues that I know of. I was lying in bed this morning testing it out. I would roll over - which would start my tinnitus off (I have it in both ears) but after I'd settled down again, it would stop in both ears.

Very strange. Tinnitus is so weird... And by weird, I mean annoying and unpredictable.

Steph x

• Like Like x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Steph1710
      Old hag

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Antibiotics - I think
      @high frequencies

All the nose will stop in both ears. I have so many tones and frequencies that I can't even measure my tinnitus.

• Hug Hug x 1
    6. Sevv

Sevv Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud concert
      Dunno, but it's a strong somatic element. Maybe bad posture, stiff muscles, or low blood pressure (blood flows better when lying down)? It's definitely unusual. Mine goes a bit down when I lie on my back, but that is just because of relaxation.

• Like Like x 1
    7. ASilverLight
      In pain

ASilverLight Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably noise, stress and a neck injury.
      I can't say mine goes away entirely, but some noises come and go depending on my position in bed.

• Like Like x 1
    8. johnsole65
      No Mood

johnsole65 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Well you have me curious!

Can you try sitting on a chair and tilting your head back across the top to see if it stops.

Does it stop when you are resting your neck or do you need you need to be parallel to the celing?

9. Tavia R

Tavia R Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Born with condition
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Born with condition-recently diagnosed/treated for migraines
      It sounds like somatic tinnitus, one of the things I came across in my endless research when trying to find a solution myself. Pretty much the theory is (I think, don't quote me on this) that there are problems with the surrounding muscles, bones, etc of the head, neck, and shoulders that interfere with the nerves and brain area associated with the ears. Adjustments in the body can affect tinnitus levels (like lying down like you said) and even if it's not the whole cause it can be a small or significant portion.

In my case for example, I know that I was born with tinnitus so it is very unlikely that my tinnitus is completely somatic, but when I'm wearing a very heavy backpack and have to bend over to pick something up, or push on a my temples, my tinnitus gets temporarily louder for those moments.
      I saw a video of Dr Jay Hobbs of Synergy on YouTube (I don't recommend him, that's just the video I watched, the guy rambles and makes promises of giving information, and then never gives you any information) and he mentioned (only mentions) something about exercises and manipulating and treating the surrounding structures around the ears to help quiet the tinnitus. It may not completely take it away, but it may help greatly reduce it by taking away one of the main contributing factors. Or what the hell, it may take it away. Let's hope for a miracle.

Good luck honey, I hope that helps, I didn't look into it too much so I may be wrong on a point or two, I don't want to give bad info. Anyways, give that a good search into or ask your ENT what they think, I personally would rather invest my energy into getting rid of my hyperacusis so when I found this I thought it was brilliant but I just never looked into it deeper.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    10. Tweedleman
      Depressed

Tweedleman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown/Noise
      Wow, I wish. Mine gets worse when I lay down. Especially sleeping on my side, the ear facing down will just scream.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Hug Hug x 1
    11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Steph1710
      Old hag

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Antibiotics - I think
      @johnsole65 yeah that does nothing. It only seems to be when I'm lying flat. I reckon it's more to do with being relaxed rather than anything else. I fall asleep so easily so I guess that helps.

12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Steph1710
      Old hag

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Antibiotics - I think
      @Tweedleman that sucks dude :( I hope mine never does that. Then I really wouldn't be able to function.

13. Anxinnitus
      Spaced

Anxinnitus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Valsalva Left Ear / Ototoxic Right
      If my T lowered in volume when I lay down I would live life horizontally!

• Agree Agree x 5
      • Funny Funny x 2
    14. Nobody19

Nobody19 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Clubbing
      No, but my reactive tinnitus is sensitive to the way I position my neck/head.

• Like Like x 1
    15. dan
      Chatty

dan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      Oh oh I got it! Don't stand up...

• Funny Funny x 1
    16. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Steph1710
      Old hag

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Antibiotics - I think
      @dan unfortunately I have intracranial pressure, so if I lay down for extended periods - it feels like my head will explode!

So no. That's not an option you cheeky git! :p

• Funny Funny x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    17. Deniseh

Deniseh Member

Tinnitus Since:
      July 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Possibly b12/folic acid deficiency and GERD
      Hi @Steph1710

I have something similar to you in that when I go to bed at night if I lie on my front with my head positioned to the left then my tinnitus disappears and also if I lie on my right with my head straight and my shoulders down it either disappears or reduces phenomenally any other position and it comes back... no idea why!!!

M tinnitus is mainly in my left ear with a low hum and a screech which can be intermittent, have had it since last July/August and has changed so much in that time.

• Hug Hug x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    18. Amaranta
      Dramaqueen

Amaranta Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hi @Steph1710,

Did you ever find out why your tinnitus disappeared when you would lie down? Does it still happen? How are you doing now?

I can't say mine goes away entirely, but I get something like a "dirty silence" when lying down.

I read that you also had multiple sounds like me... Did you get them all at the same time? I get a new one every month since the onset for no reason that I can think of. It is driving me crazy.

19. Guywithapug
      Dreaming

Guywithapug Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL
      Steph, how are you doing today? Hope all is well, have any of your symptoms improved at all?

20. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Steph1710
      Old hag

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Antibiotics - I think
      Hi buddy!

Thanks for asking how I am. Means a lot :)

Tinnitus wise, I'm doing just fine. It's pretty faint these days. Probably about a 1/2 and sometimes pretty much gone altogether.

It always becomes a little louder round "that time of the month" - however, it settles down quickly enough.

Habitation is definitely real! I often go hours without noticing or thinking about it - until I remember I have it, and then I can't hear it. The mind is a strange thing hey!

I still protect my ears. Never wear headphones/earbuds. I take magnesium and try to keep hydrated, sleep well etc. All of the above keeps it quiet.

Fading is also something which happens. I went from quiet tinnitus, to very loud tinnitus, to very quiet tinnitus again. So there's hope for all the newbies on here.

Right now, I unfortunately have many other crappy health problems. The last few years it's been one thing after another.

I'm still staying strong - though I did cry this morning about everything, but I mostly make the best of life still.

Blimey! Sorry about the long reply! I obviously needed to get all that off my chest. Ha!

Anyway, enough about me. How are you doing? :)

• Hug Hug x 6
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 2
    21. matthew_bk
      Crappy

matthew_bk Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Feb 2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      sudden hearing loss - left ear only
      Notes like this are a great salve for those of us early on in the world of tinnitus. I hope it stays low & mostly gone -- and that as many of us as possible on here can get some of that peace too.

• Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    22. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Steph1710
      Old hag

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Antibiotics - I think
      I'm glad they can offer words of comfort. :)

I'm planning on writing a year update post in April. So look out for that. I will tell all. The ups, and the downs, what has helped, what hasn't etc.

Hope you're holding up okay? It's a tough world we live in.

• Hug Hug x 2
    23. Guywithapug
      Dreaming

Guywithapug Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL
      Absolutely, I am glad it means a lot to you! :)

I do love long replies, so no worry, it's a lot better than a couple of lines. You're story is very inspiring, I am glad you seem to be I'm a better place now and that your tinnitus has become somewhat of a non issue.

I am sorry to hear you are dealing with other health issues, hopefully you can work through those just like you did with the tinnitus and find yourself in a good place in the very near future. You seem like a very strong person, so it makes sens you are making the best out of life despite the obstacles presented.

I'm doing alright, not as good as I was before but, like you, making the best of life with what I have. I am hoping in time, I will look back and say "wow, that was an awful period of my life but I'm glad I persevered and bounced back!"

• Hug Hug x 1
    24. Mister Muso
      No Mood

Mister Muso Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2011 / April 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      That's very strange.

If I were you, I would spend as much time in bed as possible.

25. Dejana Cucak

Dejana Cucak Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Postpartum
      Hi,

When my tinnitus started 4 weeks ago (2 weeks after giving birth), it was a jet engine type of sound in one ear which used to disappear when my neck was in a horizontal position (and my neck still hurts)... Tthis was the reason why my ENT said that the cause is most likely epidural/spinal anesthesia (I had both), badly done. Most likely I have a hole where the anesthesia needle was placed which causes changes in intracranial pressure.

But, two weeks ago, that sound went away and was replaced by mild constant metallic/hissing sound which is always present. It’s not that bad as I can hear it only in a quite room but still gives me anxiety (especially when my baby cries- my ears literally burn)...

Do you mind me asking if you found the cause of your tinnitus? Did it get better?

Take care,
      Dejana

• Like Like x 1