Tinnitus from a Bike Tire Explosion

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Winter, Nov 25, 2019.

1. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Winter

Winter Member

Tinnitus Since:
      November 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bicycle tire explosion
      Isn't there anything I can do to heal the infection? No point going to the doctors as they don't even know what is ototoxic and what is not. Can it heal by itself? Is it dangerous for me not to take any drops? My ears are worse than before and I think this infection is adding to the tinnitus and hyperacusis badly.

2. HeavyMantra
      Bugridden

HeavyMantra Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Steadily worsening since 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I can't help you with that unfortunately, I've only had one ear infection when I was a kid so I haven't researched it. I'm sure there's info on this forum or maybe someone more knowledgeable can chime in

Maybe there are non-ototoxic ear drops. If you know a safe variety a doctor should be able to prescribe that to you. Yes, you have to do their job for them to some extent. The worst kind of doctor one who instantly shuts you down if you have your own thoughts or theories on your problems.

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Winter

Winter Member

Tinnitus Since:
      November 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bicycle tire explosion
      If anyone would help me with tips on this I would be so grateful. I really want to get rid of the ear infection/ear canal inflammation, but I don't want to risk my tinnitus getting worse.

Does anyone know how big of a risk it is to take the drops? Is it possible for the infection to heal by itself?

When I read online it just says take the drops as soon as possible, but again the drops are ototoxic. I must have gotten the infection from eardrops + cleaning out wax with water. Damn this nightmare never ends.

4. Mymlan

Mymlan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Doctors gave my mother in law similar eardrops. She doesn’t have tinnitus, but it didn’t end well. Her ear got more blocked with that crap. ENTs know nothing!

In the beginning of my tinnitus journey ENTs gave me bad advice that made me worse and they refused to give me prednisone in my early days/hours with tinnitus, simply because of side effects. Oh dear GOD. I would rather have some side effects than permanent tinnitus that I now have to live with.

• Agree Agree x 2
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Winter

Winter Member

Tinnitus Since:
      November 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bicycle tire explosion
      Today my doctor told me he wouldn’t have given med prednisolone 60mg dose even if he knew it would cure my tinnitus 100%, ”because there could be side effects”. I almost wanted to hit him, that is insane to me! But I don’t think it definitely would have cured me, but maybe 50/50 and I would liked to at least had the chance.

The infection is definitely worsening my tinnitus and hyperacusis every day now. It hurts and itches also. But I can’t even get cured for that because the drops are oxotoxic. I hope I will not have the infection permanently. I can’t live like this much longer.

• Hug Hug x 2
    6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Winter

Winter Member

Tinnitus Since:
      November 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bicycle tire explosion
      Does anyone here know if the drops definitely will have ototoxic effect or is it like a 30-50% risk? I can't live with infection and tinnitus and super sound sensitivity. It’s to much for me to take right now.

7. Mymlan

Mymlan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      This is very typical Sweden. The doctors here are shit scared of side effects in this country.

• Agree Agree x 2
    8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Winter

Winter Member

Tinnitus Since:
      November 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bicycle tire explosion
      It seems the ear drops are the only thing that might fight this infection off. I am desperate so I am going to pray (and I'm not religious...) that these ototoxic won't drops worsen my tinnitus. I have never been more afraid in my life but I am equally afraid of the inflammation worsening things. :(

• Hug Hug x 1
    9. MrCrybaby

MrCrybaby Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      2014, 10/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      School Band, Noxious Car Radio
      I have had MANY ear infections treated with drops and it never impacted my tinnitus. There is a small chance that the drops could harm, but the infection is an actual risk to your health. You will feel MUCH better when it is treated.

Also, I recommend you stop poking and prodding your ears (irrigating with water, trying to scrape out wax, etc) as this can lead to enhanced irritation and inflammation of your ears and leave them more prone to infection (I’ve done that many times to myself).

Lastly, I can see from this thread you are highly distressed by your tinnitus. I recommend that you pursue talk therapy or CBT to help you control this negative spiral (or at the very least read inspirational posts by users like @fishbone who lead rich lives even when confronted constantly with severe tinnitus). It won’t cure the tinnitus, but I have found it helped me deal with the self hatred and self blame around how I ended up here. I can really relate to your fear of the drops, I avoided taking Advil for my nearly debilitating facial nerve pain from my trauma because I was worried it would make things worse. When I finally started to treat the pain everything (tinnitus and life) became more bearable.

Please remember that you can pull through (natural recovery or future treatments will improve your life) and that this moment is temporary.

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 2
    10. fishbone
      Shitfaced

fishbone Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noise and very bad sickness
      I fully get your fear about the ear infection and the med to possibly help it out. The ears are very delicate and so so much happens within our ears. It's up to if you take that med or not, but please try to get better and get rid of that ear infection. The ears can possibly take awhile to get better, even after we stop taking the meds, they are very delicate.

• Agree Agree x 1
    11. fishbone
      Shitfaced

fishbone Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noise and very bad sickness
      All of us will wonder why we got here. I still do, it's normal. I always tell folks on here, to do what works for THEM and hopefully something, can help them live their lives with tinnitus. It's a grind, it's not an easy life. So many good people are afflicted by an invisible beast.

We as a community, need to take things day by day. Support, care, motivate, push each other to stand against tinnitus. We can do it, I know we can!

• Like Like x 2
      • Hug Hug x 1
    12. Lane

Lane Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Single 25 mg dose of (anticholinergic) drug Promethazine
      @Winter -- As a reminder, I suggested a couple of natural methods for you to consider in THIS POST. Both methods strike me a extremely safe, and at the least, much safer than the ear drops that are apparently known to be ototoxic. I would also recommend you consider doing some kind of partial fast to help heal your ears. -- Best...

13. Gman
      No Mood

Gman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ototoxic earwax drops, worsened by MDs (Muppet Doctors)
      I'm not a doctor, but neither are ENTs. Doesn't look like much earwax on your ear drum. Why not just use olive oil drops to see if that clears it? Best not to let any implements touch the eardrum.

14. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Winter

Winter Member

Tinnitus Since:
      November 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bicycle tire explosion
      The right eardrum is really red today. Perhaps I should just try the drops. I hate my life so much right now. Why do I have to deal with an infection on top of everything that has happened to my ears...

15. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Winter

Winter Member

Tinnitus Since:
      November 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bicycle tire explosion
      Also I have new tinnitus sounds today, low frequency beep that I haven't had before, could this be the infection worsening my tinnitus with new sounds now.

16. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Winter

Winter Member

Tinnitus Since:
      November 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bicycle tire explosion
      Have you had many ear infections treated with ear drops since you got tinnitus in October 2019?

17. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Winter

Winter Member

Tinnitus Since:
      November 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bicycle tire explosion
      I'm going to try that. But first I must get rid of my infection. But am very hesitant to use these drops to get rid of it. I see you got your tinnitus from drops. :(

• Hug Hug x 1
    18. Gman
      No Mood

Gman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ototoxic earwax drops, worsened by MDs (Muppet Doctors)
      Do a search to see if there’s any information about possible ototoxicity.
      If I had done a search before I used these common over the counter earwax drops, I would have found research indicating the active ingredient is very ototoxic. But hey I didn’t have tinnitus so didn’t even think about it.

19. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Winter

Winter Member

Tinnitus Since:
      November 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bicycle tire explosion
      It contains polymyxin B, and searching online it seems it is only ototoxic if eardrum is perforated. And I don't think they are. My doctor said nothing about them being perforated, just that I have a pretty irritated ear canal close to the eardrums, and the eardrums they look pretty red with blood veins on them. So some kind of infection in my ears for sure. But I've spoken to three other doctors over the phone and they all say only ototoxic if perforated eardrum. But what if I have a hidden perforation? I don't know how unlikely that is. No doctor want to give me other treatment either, they just say - listen to your first doctor and take the drops.

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    20. MrCrybaby

Tinnitus Since:
      2014, 10/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      To clarify, I’ve had mild tinnitus since 2013/2014 (loud noise exposure from school band) but list Oct 2019 because that’s when I had the big acoustic trauma I am currently recovering from. While I have not used ear drops since my new trauma, I did use them to clear up a painful infection in both ears earlier in 2019 with no issue. I hope you resolve this situation in a way that you are comfortable with.

21. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Winter

Winter Member

Tinnitus Since:
      November 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bicycle tire explosion
      I understand.

If you were in my shoes right now, would you use the ototoxic ear drops even tough the infection isn't very painful yet? It is more causing the ear canal to feel slimmer and full, and some discomfort and itching. The worse thing is knowing I have an infection in my ears and not knowing how it will develop.

22. MrCrybaby

Tinnitus Since:
      2014, 10/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      If I were in your shoes I, personally, would use the drops.

I do not think your doctor would prescribe drops if they suspected a ruptured tympanum.

Right now the infection is minor and could clear quickly, by waiting you give the chance for the infection to worsen and become more painful and harder to treat.

I find ear infections to be very psychologically burdensome, much like the pain immediately following acoustic insult. By resolving this pain you’ll be in a clearer state of mind. This can make it easier to cope with your tinnitus.

Lastly, and I do not mean this to frighten you, ear infections can be damaging if left alone. I have a very close friend with extensive hearing loss and tinnitus from repeated infections. The ears are fragile and treating infection is part of taking care of them.

I hope that you heal quickly and treat yourself with patience and compassion.

• Agree Agree x 2
    23. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Winter

Winter Member

Tinnitus Since:
      November 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bicycle tire explosion
      Thanks for the advice. I just can't take the risk with the ototoxic drops because this doctor I went to is awful. He could have given me a bullet if I said "I want to kill my self but I only have a gun". He actually said he wouldn't give me prednisolone if it was 100% definitely curing my tinnitus because of the side effects of the drug... So I think I'll change doctor and get a second opinion. Problem is that it takes weeks to get a doctor in Sweden because of our awful health care system. I have an ENT appointment in 2,5 weeks and probably just wait till then.

I can't risk it with the drops, I already have suicidal level of tinnitus because of new acoustic trauma this Tuesday + not feeling 100% after a cold. I really hope it will go down after the cold is 100% gone, but I am not optimistic. All the worsening I've had in just 2 months hasn't even once gone down. I have glass fragile ears since my first acoustic trauma.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    24. MrCrybaby

Tinnitus Since:
      2014, 10/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I’m glad you’re making a decision you are comfortable with.

If the infection gets worse in the mean time (which it may) I suggest you make an appointment with another doctor (who you trust) to confirm you don’t have a perforated eardrum. I know in Canada we have walk in clinics that can provide this sort of service, I hope you have a similar option in Sweden. That way you can start treatment if you must and be sure you are not at risk of ototoxic effects.

Definitely start the process of changing doctors as soon as you can. You will want to have a trustworthy opinion down the line, even is not for this problem.

Hang in there!

25. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      An untreated infection is not a fun prospect indeed.

26. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Winter

Winter Member

Tinnitus Since:
      November 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bicycle tire explosion
      I bought an ear camera today and it turns out the picture I posted last week was not of my ear drum, it was of the ear canal. Now I can see both my ear canal and my eardrum. I haven't used the drops yet but my ear canal is still red, but my eardrum seems fine, right? It has been about the same for a week now. I'm still hoping the ear canal would heal without the drops but I don't know. Should I use them even though they are ototoxic?

I attached pictures of my ear canals and eardrums. The infection in my ear canal is not severe (no real pain or anything), but it doesn't seem to get better either. I try not to get any water in the ears for it to heal.

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
        1.jpg
        File size:
        51.7 KB
        Views:
      • 2.jpg
        2.jpg
        File size:
        52.1 KB
        Views:
    27. HeavyMantra
      Bugridden

HeavyMantra Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Steadily worsening since 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I've experienced the same thing many times with plastic bulbs like that, I have a normal ear drum as far as I know

28. Mandalay
      Curious

Mandalay Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2001
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Hi Winter,

I also suffered from ear infection recently, it took me three months to heal in total.
      But mine was a bit different to yours I guess. I had fluid behind the eardrum and my ear canal and sinuses were swollen, I also guess my eustachian tube was swollen, that's how it felt, but I can't describe it properly.

Well, I also had the sniff, all in all it was absolutely horrible and my mild tinnitus was, well, not really louder but somehow really in the foreground. That's the best way to express it.

I took an antibiotic for one week, and it was not ototoxic at all. I have never had a bad experience with this antibiotic, never in all the years I used it. For me, it's the only thing that works, so maybe it could help also you?

The name of the antibiotic (to be taken orally, not drops), maybe there are ear drops as well, is:

Cefuroxime axetil

It worked for my ears, sinuses and sniff, I had 500mg tablets and took them either two or three times a day. I can't remember properly.

It worked well and was safe.

(Before that I was asked to take Azithromycin for one and a half day, and as that one can be ototoxic, I wasn't happy to take it, nothing happened, but still... and then I asked for the Ceruroxime axetil)

I hope it helps, take care.

29. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      It does not look too bad. But I think you are being too radical about what is "ototoxic". Take into account that all those meds can be ototoxic but only if taken in huge doses and over a long long time. So I would personally use the drops.

30. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Winter

Winter Member

Tinnitus Since:
      November 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bicycle tire explosion
      I have had visual snow for about two weeks now. It seems to be permanent when reading about it. It is almost as bad as living with tinnitus.

Went to a comedy show with my dad yesterday (he wanted me to laugh because I've been down since tinnitus). I wore earplugs the whole time (only 19 dB reducing music earplugs though), and only stayed for an hour (left after the first brake), but definitely got a spike in tinnitus today. It was really loud at times with music and shouting, but the loud parts was only about 1 minute at a time, otherwise about 80 dB when using my iPhone db meter app. I need to use foam earplugs with higher reducing dB when I go to these kind of things. It's sad because then I would almost only hear my tinnitus screaming... Hope the spike will go down in a couple of days. I have had spikes before from loud noises that has gone down. My tinnitus is fluctuating a lot every day, and that is definitely a problem that will make it impossible for me to "habituate" or whatever everyone in here calls it.

It is unbelievable unfair that a ear trauma can cause problems with vision. I can't even think "at least I have my eyes and other things working" anymore. Visual snow syndrome is just awful. My life is a nightmare since my sound trauma over 2 months ago. I will probably take time of this site now for a couple of weeks, at least I will try, since reading here makes me even more sad about this condition. I don't believe we will ever see a cure for tinnitus/hearing loss, so reading here about failed hope with Lenire and other things like supplements is just worthless for me.

• Hug Hug x 2