Tinnitus from Someone Shouting in My Ear

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Chris809, Mar 13, 2022.

1. Chris809

Chris809 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise-induced
      Has anyone got their tinnitus from someone shouting so loud and unexpectedly in or near their ears? I've read that this is likely acoustic shock.

I got tinnitus when someone shouted near my left ear but strangely I don't have any hearing loss. I've checked online that someone who shouts near your ear can be (on average) 110 dB.

Is it possible that when you don't expect someone to shout next to your ear that your auditory system is disrupted to such a point that, while the sound impact isn't enough to damage your hearing in terms of hearing loss, it can still trigger tinnitus?

Do the ears' natural frequency have anything to do with the onset of tinnitus in this case - as in it's not how loud the sound is per se but whether it is unfortunate enough to disrupt the natural frequency of your auditory nervous system?

Just curious.

2. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Any sound that is loud enough can cause tinnitus @Chris809 and this includes if someone were to shout close to your ear. Many people don't have hearing loss with the onset of noise induced tinnitus. If they do, the hearing loss may not always be enough to warrant the use of hearing aids.
      I don't think this really matters. The facts are, if a person is exposed to a loud enough sound it can cause tinnitus. Sometimes this is temporary and in a day or two the tinnitus goes completely away. However, if a person frequently goes clubbing or attends concerts where loud music is played and gets tinnitus on more than one occasion, there may come a time when it won't subside and go away but instead becomes permanent.

This can also happen to people that regularly listen to audio through headphones, earbuds or headsets at too high a volume without realizing it. They may experience tinnitus once or twice and it goes away. If they continue on this path it's quite possible for the tinnitus to one day become permanent.

Michael

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 2