Tinnitus Is Louder When I Wake Up?

Discussion in 'Support' started by katriina, Feb 17, 2014.

tinnitus forum
    1. katriina
      Frustrated

katriina Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      After waking up it calms like in 15 minutes back to lower level... Does this happen to everyone? It's very ennoying to wake up and the first thing you hear is your T louder than ever. (n)

• Hug Hug x 2
    2. Raul
      Inspired

Raul Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2008
      it's always like that with me:/

3. Mark McDill
      Curious

Mark McDill Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Likely stress, anxiety, an antibiotic and nsaids
      Katrina
      Yeah, mine is usually cranking in the morning too :arghh:; then it calms down (especially in the shower)

Mark

4. Stina
      Psychedelic

Stina Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/13
      I think the neurological activity is increased in the morning:)

5. Raul
      Inspired

Raul Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2008
      sometimes i wish i'd like to spend my life in the shower :D

• Like Like x 1
    6. katriina
      Frustrated

katriina Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Well if I MUST say something positive about T, it's made my sleeping habits better! I don't feel like napping anymore during the day because I don't want to hear my T louder more than I have to ... :rolleyes:

• Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    7. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Ambassador Team Research

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      When we wake up, the brain is trying to test out our vital signs to make sure we are alive and also are ready to take on the activities of the day. So it zooms into the missing pieces (such as the frequency of our ringing) and tries to recreate those lost capabilities by phantom sound in the central nervous system. Once we are up and doing things, the CNS shuts down the alert system and it is back to normal level. If only there is something to shut down the alert system. LOL.

8. Stina
      Psychedelic

Stina Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/13
      But if it is more quiet in the morning does it mean that it has to do with smth else? (underactive neurons?:D)

9. Tenna
      Anime

Tenna Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      One of my tones gets more and more prevalent the less noise it has been fed. In the morning it's at its' loudest, the more sound my that ear gets, the more it dissappears. Might be the same for you

10. Stina
      Psychedelic

Stina Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/13
      Could be:) I spend most of my days in the quiet though and that makes it more noticable so Im not sure if thats it. I think it has more to with me not turning attention to it or being well rested:p Or simply being too dizzy and cranky to notice anything:D

11. Tenna
      Anime

Tenna Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      Definitely, but many have some tinnitus which do get silenced by sound. Just as for the people with hearing loss+tinnitus, when they get hearing aid the sound input highens decreasing the t, would make sense if the same concept applied to some

12. RedThinker
      Joyful

RedThinker Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/07/2009
      Well i think you notice it a lot more on mornings as your brain is complete empty :) For me I hope every morning that the ringing is gone but it isnt, I get into the shower and let that do its magic and after that I feel pretty normal :)

13. Lisa88

Lisa88 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      I wonder if it is the adrenalin while dreaming that sparks it off.

14. Dr. Nagler

Dr. Nagler Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1994
      Lots of theoretical and speculative possibilities here. Dr. Jastreboff feels that the issue is one of neurotransmittors being somewhat dependent on the amount sleep - especially REM sleep. I am partial to the views of Kevin Hogan in this particular regard. Hogan's approach focuses on the role of the reticular formation in increase of tinnitus perception after a nap. The reticular formation is a primitive structure in the brain stem. It's a "vital sign monitor". When you wake from a nap or from sleep, the RF checks to see whether or not you are alive! It looks for heartbeat, respirations, blood pressure, temperature - basic bodily signs. It does not care whether or not these signs are good or bad - just that they are present. Since tinnitus is part of "normal" body function in an individual with intrusive tinnitus, the RF checks to see whether or not tinnitus is present. If it doesn't find tinnitus, the RF seeks it with a vengeance - - especially in the post-nap state, when there has been inadequate REM sleep and when -therefore - the RF is already on "high alert" that something might not be quite right. Theoretically. it is this RF hyperactivity in seeking tinnitus, which it equates with life, results in temporarily markedly augmented tinnitus perception.

I recall early on that I was so concerned about the volume of my tinnitus ... I refused to nap. Then, after a while, I said, "Screw it. I love napping!" So I started napping again. Very liberating when you tell your tinnitus to step to the back of your bus - or better still, get the hell off the bus entirely!

Stephen Nagler

15. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Ambassador Team Research

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      I followed Dr. Nagler since my early days. I am a student of his 'toughness' approach. Whenever T tells me not to this, not to that, I said the same thing 'Screw It'. I will do the opposite. Of course I won't go to loud concert which I don't particularly like anyway, nor I will want to stand in front of loud speakers unprotected. But in general, T & H said no cinema movies, no eat outs, no social parties, no fishing, no gardening, no ballroom dancing with my money, etc. etc. I would say 'screw it' and go anyway. As Dr. Nagler says, it is a wonderful feeling to frustrate this T bully and gain your freedom back. Winning this psychological battle with T is very crucial in gaining my confidence and control of living my life again.

• Like Like x 2
    16. katriina
      Frustrated

katriina Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      My T is also louder right before I fall asleep, does that happen because the same reason as in the morning?

17. Dr. Nagler

Dr. Nagler Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1994
      More likely it's a matter of fatigue. Or possibly it's related to being "alone with your thoughts" in a quieter environment. Hard to say for sure.

Stephen Nagler

18. peter1974
      Balanced

peter1974 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Mine is totally opposite. Sometimes gone until I expose my ears to sounds.

• Agree Agree x 1
    19. Dr. Nagler

Dr. Nagler Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1994
      ... which is why in the long run the only predictable thing about tinnitus is its unpredictability!

The good news is that when you have largely habituated your tinnitus, you just won't care.

Stephen Nagler

20. DebInAustralia

DebInAustralia Member Benefactor Team Research

Tinnitus Since:
      30/12/13
      ok, back to habituation...

so, im nearly 3 months in..

im back to functioning and sleeping...

but to be honest, i am still struggling with not being bothered by it.

i have moments when im not as aware of it, but times like now, when im alone, in a quieter environment, my noise is up, as is my aggitation. What do i do? I fluctuate between moments of despair and feelings of hopefulness.

• Agree Agree x 1
    21. Dr. Nagler

Dr. Nagler Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1994
      What do you do, Deb? Well, I can only tell you what I did.

I found a knowledgeable and experienced tinnitus clinician (in my case Dr. Pawel Jastreboff) and did TRT.

Just being very honest here with you here. This was something I figured I would not be able to do on my own. So I got help. If you needed open heart surgery, you wouldn't try to "do it yourself." Well, I don't know about you, but for me my tinnitus was every bit as serious as a heart attack. And I went about getting better (i.e., habituating) very purposefully with professional help.

Stephen Nagler

• Like Like x 1
    22. DebInAustralia

DebInAustralia Member Benefactor Team Research

Tinnitus Since:
      30/12/13
      How intensive was your trt?

i have been counselled by Ross Dineen, numerous talks with Ian Patterson, and have had a recent consult with an audio but still find myself in a hole.

23. Tormod

Tormod Member

I had the same problem. Laying down caused my T to increase by a lot. After weeks of searching I found the cause. If I lower my shoulders, and pull my chin in. The T disappears. My posture has a lot to say, and in this case the onset was stress causing me to tense up...i still get it a little bit in the morning. Knowing this has helped me ignore it much more as I know I can make it disappear.

• Informative Informative x 1
    24. Srdjan
      Inspired

Srdjan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      early 2014 - summer 2014
      It can be the posture as Tormood says (the way I stand or position my body make a difference in my T) and it can be perceiving as well. We all generally sleep in quiet conditions so it's logical we hear it more.
      I think (when it comes to me) that laying down makes pressure to my head and neck which increases the buzzing. Or when I'm laying down and put my head up (so my chin goes to my chest), the T is stronger.
      I'm having some neck pains, that may do something to T but those pains might be from the stress I'm having..Vicious circles vicious circles vicious circles....I feel like I'm a tennis ball used in a match between Depression and Health Issues, so each player keeps throwing me to the other side of the court...The only way is to keep the paranoia away and think rationally and positively.

25. Dr. Nagler

Dr. Nagler Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1994
      Deb, I do not understand your question regarding how "intensive" my TRT was.

TRT is a very specific protocol that makes use of sound therapy and counseling employed according to which of the five "TRT categories" applies in any given case, the category being determined by one's evaluation. It is not a question of how "intensive" - you either do TRT or you don't. Now I'm not suggesting that TRT is the only way to facilitate habituation - but it is what I did.

In terms of your options where you live, I do not know what is available - but I do know that Ross Dineen and his associate, Myriam Westcott, have considerable experience. Perhaps you might address your concerns and frustrations to one of them!

Stephen Nagler

26. Jayne

Jayne Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2014
      I am 4 months with mine. I am also still suffering with symptoms from a head injury which caused my T. I am going to start TRT - I hope this help with both.
      My ringing is also worse at night and in the morning and showers are the best for calming me down.

27. Matt01

Matt01 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      28/11/14
      Clearly tinnitus is unpredictable, as mine is very low on waking up, especially if in the middle of the night.