Tinnitus Is Much More Than an Inconvenience

Discussion in 'Support' started by Rono1943, Apr 1, 2015.

1. Rono1943
      Balanced

Rono1943 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      16/09/1995
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      compressed air and high blood pressure
      Tinitus is much more than a inconvenience ,it robs a person of his natural life, the ability to hear silence forever,until Death takes a hand,, for many that is the final solution to obtain Peacefull silence, I'm now 70 yrold having suffered for 50 years, while Billions of Dollars are spent on war and Futile Space jaunts, as we can not even look after what we have here on this beautiful blue Planet,, I have not got long to go, but many many more Will follow in the future,

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Like Like x 2
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    2. RichardRR
      Tired

RichardRR Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2011
      True that.

3. NiNyu

NiNyu Member

Tinnitus Since:
      29/12/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      barotrauma? stress?
      It's the worst disease there is 'cause there are NO breaks -- EVER.

• Agree Agree x 2
    4. Mikey Cliff
      Fine

Mikey Cliff Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      This makes me want to die

• Agree Agree x 5
    5. SoulStation
      No Mood

SoulStation Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise / Possible Medication
      Wow what a positive productive thread!:thankyousign:

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Funny Funny x 2
    6. valeri

valeri Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2011
      It's far from productive but what do you expect from a tinnitus sufferer?

Good on those who can only hear it when they "look for it" or those who's "lives are even better then before tinnitus":banghead:

In my opinion no other disease will affect you like this 24/7 hell, mentally, emotionaly, physically, socially, financialy.....:(

It's a life changer!

• Agree Agree x 4
      • Winner Winner x 2
    7. Telis

Telis Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      That's not nice man. He's had T for 50 years, I think he's earned the right to vent a little.

• Agree Agree x 4
    8. Stink

Stink Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2000
      yes it should all be rainbows .......

tinnitus is much more than that. it can transform a person (for the worse).

give support to the man, not complain its unproductive....

• Agree Agree x 4
    9. Matt01

Matt01 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      28/11/14
      I think it depends on severity. I am getting less bothered each day.

• Agree Agree x 1
    10. Calories
      Surrender

Calories Member

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      B12 Difficiency, Possibly salycilic poising from fenugreek and ginger
      50 Years, wow!!! I could not bear this trauma for more than 5 DAYS!!!

Only a cure could be found!:cry::cry::cry:

11. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09-2013
      I can think of many diseases that are far worse......

@Rono1943: it is sad, but it is true. Goog luck to you!

• Agree Agree x 1
    12. Joe P. Tamborra
      Inspired

Joe P. Tamborra Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic neuroma tumor
      Hey Rono, Sorry to hear that you have suffered so long. Everything that we go through as humans is
      not easily explainable; however I know there is a God in heaven that loves you and knows all you have been
      through. His ways are higher than ours, and He has a master plan for each of us, and always that involves some suffering along the way.

• Agree Agree x 1
    13. RaZaH
      Cheeky

RaZaH Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2012/04
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzo + loud noise
      Are you being serious ? If he loves us so much why is he fucking up our lives ?
      Because he has a plan ? What kind of sick plan is that ?

:p

• Agree Agree x 5
      • Funny Funny x 1
    14. Oh dear, we should have a religious sub forum here(y)

• Agree Agree x 1
    15. MarioT
      No Mood

MarioT Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress + SSRI medication
      Don't bother debating with religious people about God and the meaning of all of this... just don't , it's pointless. I respect and almost envy those who find comfort in their belief. And when I read/hear things as " His ways are higher than ours...", yada yada yada, although infuriating from a rational point of view, I know they try to mean well...

Belief/religion is a great resource for people, especially when they are suffering, to keep them going and even accomplish extraordinary things (both good and bad). But for me, even though I am suffering from this condition, it does not change my persuasion that religion is just a grand delusion (the pathological kind).

That being said, I think that a little bit of "delusion" is not necessary always a bad thing. Especially when it comes to our emotional response to T. For example one can think like "Tinnitus is the WORST ILLNESS in the universe - I am f"§§$d for life"... your mind and your body will react accordingly to that line of thought. On the other hand though one can try to "delude" himself a little bit and counter that thought with "meh, it sucks but f"$% it, I can pretty much move around and still do anything I want.. it isn't that bad considering the other guy I met last night had an amputed leg since he was 17 and struggles with a gene defect that causes his blood to thicken. Nevertheless he was a really cool dude, one of the rare kind, with a grand smile on his face" (random example, true story though!).

It takes time, effort and one has to accept constant setbacks... but in the end whether we want to accept it or not, It is all about state of mind. And to accomplish that, you need a little bit to "believe"/"delude" yourself from time to time. If you don't believe in religion then simply believe in yourself and your ability to overcome this.

Sorry if I sound like a preacher, not my intention. Writing this down might be a little bit an attempt to "delude" myself as well ;)

Happy easter!

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    16. RaZaH
      Cheeky

RaZaH Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2012/04
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzo + loud noise
      Yeah , maybe its all good for getting out of a bad situation.
      Like its nice when you are drowning and someone throws you a lifesaver, but then again you would look silly wearing it all the time. :p

• Agree Agree x 1
    17. SoulStation
      No Mood

SoulStation Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise / Possible Medication
      Agreed. I apologize for that snarky remark. I am just at a point where attitude is everything for me and need to focus on positivity. Hugs to everyone. Trust me.

• Hug Hug x 3
      • Like Like x 1
    18. NiNyu

NiNyu Member

Tinnitus Since:
      29/12/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      barotrauma? stress?
      Like what disease gives you agony 24/7 and there are ZERO treatments? I'm curious.

• Good Question Good Question x 3
      • Winner Winner x 1
    19. Dana
      Lonely

Dana Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      @MarioT
      Taken as a whole, I loved your post, but i don't agree with this one sentence I quoted above.
      If what we want to do is to think deeply and T hinders our thinking, cause it prevents us from hearing our thoughts, we can't even "delude" ourselves that we can still do anything we want. I can't play chess anymore, to give a stupid/unimportant example. We sort of come to the realisation that, once the thinking part goes down the chute (and in doing a lot of things thinking is required), many of the things that we used to be able to do are crossed out.
      Yes, we can move around if we managed to get some sleep the previous night so we are not too tired, but our inner life, the thinking, takes a hard blow and delusion that we can still do anything that we want is hard to do.

Yes, we can believe/delude ourselves that we can overcome this. Not only that we can, but we have to! It's a must! Well said!
      That's what I do every day.

• Like Like x 2
      • Hug Hug x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    20. RicoS
      Alienated

RicoS Member Benefactor

Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress or Acoustic trauma
      T is not the worst but it's in the top 10 for sure. I had depresssion symptoms that my tongue felt to big for my mouth 24/7 it also had a burning feeling. This was for me worse than T. T i could mask but this drove me nuts. It is hard to imagine but the same goes for people who do not have T and tell you to get over it.

Though i think when your T is not possible to mask every symptom that bothers you 24/7 and gives you major anxiety and stress is the same because for you it is the worst feeling ever.

With T i went to work depressed and used masking to go through the day ...with that tongue thing i completly broke down and could not work anymore. So i guess it is all about perspective. If you do not have it it's hard to imagine...

I thought extreme eyefloaters were the worst thing that could happen to me.
      Than 1.5 year straight lower backpain ....could not sit or anything 24/7 backpain.
      Than T came along which was just as bad or even worse.
      Than that tongue thing came along and blew me of my feet...... i think there is always something that comes along which feels even worse than the thing before.

But do not tell me god has a plan for me because i suffered enough....he is the guy i pray to and does not listen.

Who prayed to god to get rid of T and the moment after praying it was gone? Please let me know because than we can stop searching for a cure and need to pray the same words the person did where it was gone after the praying.

21. NiNyu

NiNyu Member

Tinnitus Since:
      29/12/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      barotrauma? stress?
      Of there is God there must be Satan as well. Are you ready to sell your soul?

@RicoS , you should have tried ice cream. If I understand you correctly, T caused depression you got psychosomatic tongue issues but that was all worse than T ?

Let me tell you something, I once had an oral mucosa inflammation and I could NOT touch my oral mucosa with my own tongue without getting excruciating pain. I wasn't able to eat for two weeks! I genuinly thought that's it, I'm going to die. To make a long story short, I did not die but survived the oral mucosa inflammation.
      Now thinking back about it and comparing it to my debilitaing T this oral mucosa inflammation was a piece of cake, a walk in the park. Yes, I did have excruciating pain but there were breaks, and painkillers. Now you tell me what is there for T ?
      Honestly, if you genuinely think that your tongue issue was worse than T you can't have debilitaing T.

22. RicoS
      Alienated

RicoS Member Benefactor

Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress or Acoustic trauma
      Indeed i don't that is what i said....if your T is not to be masked you have a 24/7 issue with it which makes it worse or equal than the tongue issue. I think it is different for every person. Since my T can be masked now and my H is not that bad anymore i care less about T. The first year my T screamed like a jetengine with a drunken pilot on the throttle. In conversations i could hardly hear the other person. Compared to that moment....it was hell for me just as the tongue issue. My T now is mild. In a silent room it still screams but the slidest sound masks it now.

The tongue issue started with chloorhexidine which i was extremely allergic for. I and the dentist did not know that. I got the weirdest symptoms and also BMS. Everything became to much i guess. Just managed T and now this. I went on to get a major depression and anxiety disorder. The feeling of my tongue to big for my mouth together with BMS....made me have suicidal thoughts again.

Knowing i could not use ssri because it can make T worse put me in a spot where i did not know what to do anymore. I never had a depression....i laughed it off if somebody was at home because of it. Anxiety i had when T started but that depression stuff is another monster. So together with the tongue issue which is partly because of the depression and perhaps chloorhexidine allergic reaction ......for me it felt worse than T. I am not saying that this goes for everybody. The severety you experience something can be different for everybody.

In therapy i met a person who was suicidal because she could not stop thinking of blinking with her eyes. It was the worst for her.

There was a person with extreme backpain and also had loud T but she said i don't care about T ...it's loud and hear it over everything but my backpain is much more worse. She could hardly sit or lay down.

Don't get me wrong T is bad....very bad...but you have T and you have T.

If it was as loud as the onset of it i could not tell you honestly what was worse. Eyefloaters were bad but T is much worse....for me.

The depression made me feel emtionless that was the scariest feeling i ever felt. I did not feel love for my son anymore.....nothing mathered and everything was doom. I knew i love my son but i felt no emotions anymore. They say do the things you like. I felt nothing so i did not like anything that i used to like.
      I'm getting out of it now slowly without medication and who knows what is next.

I understand people say T is the worst ever and from their perspective i believe that is true. But it all depends on the person. Some realy do not care about their loud 80db T and just go on.

So that is why i say for me it is in the top 10 for sure for others it might be in the top 1...

Ps icecream did not work...nothing did...
      The depression was not because of T it was because of the allergic reaction of chloorhexidine which gave me the weirdest synptoms i could not place and than the depression kicked in

23. valeri

valeri Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2011
      Back in 2004 I got major anxiety disorder.
      It went on for nearly 5 years, it was living hell, physical symptoms of all sorts, changing from day to day, lot of tears, sleepless nights.....

But... I never ever had dark thoughts, yes my life was altered but not to this degree that I experience with tinnitus.
      I still worked, took care of my family, engaged in social life....
      It was hard but I wasn't so down like now.
      I would swap in a blink of an eye to have all that anxiety hell back but to be free from tinnitus.
      At least it gave me some rest from time to time:(

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Hug Hug x 1