Tinnitus Is My New Normal — I'm Back to Living Life, and I'm Grateful for Each Day

Scrivs007

Author
Mar 7, 2023
United Kingdom
Tinnitus Since
Cause of Tinnitus
Unknown
Hi all, I'm new to posting online, so here goes...

I've always lived with tinnitus (I'm now 52) but it was mild, never bothered me until not long after I turned 50, when I started to notice it more and more. Within 6 months it became permanent and extremely loud.

I spiralled into depression, I thought my life was over. I just could not cope. I'm lucky to have an amazing support network, my family, my friends and even my employer.

The NHS were amazing. They stepped in and supported me through my darkest days.

After being 6 months away from work and with lots of support from tinnitus charities and therapy for anxiety, my life slowly returned to the new normal.

I blamed everything, from the times not protecting my hearing to riding motorbikes as a kid (and I still ride now with hearing protection) but, to be honest, from an early age I had hearing and sinus issues and had multiple surgeries for both so I think it was inevitable that my tinnitus would get worse and it wasn't my fault. Both my eardrums are still perforated. I have to accept what life throws at me. Coming to terms with that is hard.

I've tried hearing aids but I struggled. My hearing is OK, so I don't need them, but I hear they help a lot of people with tinnitus.

2.5 years on and my life is normal. Tinnitus is hard; I hear it 24/7 and to me it's so loud, but I live life and I'm grateful for each day. I have to accept my tinnitus.

I think what I'm trying to say is that life will return to normal, but it's tough and it will continue to be tough, but you will get there.

@Scrivs007, I'm pleased to read this. My tinnitus is loud w/ severe unilateral hearing loss, it reacts to all external sound and has been a nightmare.

Is yours stable, not reactive to external sound?

Your attitude has served you well nonetheless + at age 52 there is a good chance you will live to see proper treatment!

@Scrivs007, it's great that you have got to the point where you are OK with your tinnitus. I think at this point it's all we can do till the sweet release of a cure or reduction will help us.

I've accepted my random beeps/distortions over certain sounds/frequencies as there is nothing I can do about it. It's annoying a hell when it flares up but it can't hurt me and that's what I tell myself.

Hi all, I'm new to posting online, so here goes...

I've always lived with tinnitus (I'm now 52) but it was mild, never bothered me until not long after I turned 50, when I started to notice it more and more. Within 6 months it became permanent and extremely loud.

I spiralled into depression, I thought my life was over. I just could not cope. I'm lucky to have an amazing support network, my family, my friends and even my employer.

The NHS were amazing. They stepped in and supported me through my darkest days.

After being 6 months away from work and with lots of support from tinnitus charities and therapy for anxiety, my life slowly returned to the new normal.

I blamed everything, from the times not protecting my hearing to riding motorbikes as a kid (and I still ride now with hearing protection) but, to be honest, from an early age I had hearing and sinus issues and had multiple surgeries for both so I think it was inevitable that my tinnitus would get worse and it wasn't my fault. Both my eardrums are still perforated. I have to accept what life throws at me. Coming to terms with that is hard.

I've tried hearing aids but I struggled. My hearing is OK, so I don't need them, but I hear they help a lot of people with tinnitus.

2.5 years on and my life is normal. Tinnitus is hard; I hear it 24/7 and to me it's so loud, but I live life and I'm grateful for each day. I have to accept my tinnitus.

I think what I'm trying to say is that life will return to normal, but it's tough and it will continue to be tough, but you will get there.
After a very long and dark 4 months, my life is just about back to normal. I thought I would never see the day. It is hard, but I am finally adjusting now, while the last 4 months I was only merly surviving.

@Scrivs007, I'm pleased to read this. My tinnitus is loud w/ severe unilateral hearing loss, it reacts to all external sound and has been a nightmare.

Is yours stable, not reactive to external sound?

Your attitude has served you well nonetheless + at age 52 there is a good chance you will live to see proper treatment!
Thank you. Yes, mine is severe, I give it 10/10 in both ears/brain. Reading other people's stories gives hope that things will improve slowly. It's an invisible and isolating condition, it's good to reach out for support when you need it.

Mine is pretty much constant and doesn't react to external sounds. I'm careful to protect my hearing when I need to and take each day as it comes.

Thank you. Yes, mine is severe, I give it 10/10 in both ears/brain. Reading other people's stories gives hope that things will improve slowly. It's an invisible and isolating condition, it's good to reach out for support when you need it.

Mine is pretty much constant and doesn't react to external sounds. I'm careful to protect my hearing when I need to and take each day as it comes.
I don't give my tinnitus a numerical rating. When I thought it was at a ten, it was really something like a two, as it has increased exponentially. I just tell people it's bad and leave it at that.

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now