Tinnitus Just Began — Tried to Tell Myself to Keep My Music Turned Down... But Never Did :(

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Nathan31301, Mar 21, 2020.

1. Nathan31301

Nathan31301 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/20
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      I started noticing my tinnitus this month when I would be about to go to sleep, I can still fall asleep pretty fine tho and it’s not every night. Have also just realized ear damage in general, haven’t told very many people. It definitely affects me but it hasn’t been a huge deal yet, I’m 19 tho and kind of scared.

• Hug Hug x 5
    2. Luman
      Benevolent

Luman Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Intermittent Tinnitus probably noise induced
      Hi and welcome. You're handling it well. Most of the time, for young people, it's due to exposure to excessive sounds. Do you think that noise was the cause?

3. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

DebInAustralia Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Stay away from headphones and ear buds ( even at low volumes), or anywhere loud.

Don't give your tinnitus a foothold. Focus on your reactions, rather than your noise ( as described in the back to silence thread on Tinnitus Talk).

It could become a HUGE deal if you expose yourself to loud noise. Your cochlea is not infallible.

It's early days. Your tinnitus could still disappear over time. If it doesn't, you'll still be OK as long as you try to prevent further hearing damage (if you think this is the likely cause).

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Nathan31301

Nathan31301 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/20
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      Yes, repetitive very loud music has caused it.

5. Tweedleman
      Depressed

Tweedleman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown/Noise
      Best advice I can give is to get a dB measuring app on your phone and start carrying earplugs. Familiarize yourself with safe exposure levels and generally don't expose yourself to continuous noise over 80 dB without protecting. You're tinnitus isn't bothering you much now, so that's good, keep it there. More damage will mean lousy hearing ability and tinnitus that can reach absolutely hellish levels.

• Agree Agree x 1
    6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Nathan31301

Nathan31301 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/20
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      Got some good earplugs on the way, have been using a pair but lost them oops, gonna try and contain it as well as possible, oh well if I have to wear something extra to do it, gonna be a journey, thank you

7. hans799
      Mellow

hans799 Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Born with it
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Worsened Dec 2016 by headphones
      You're extremely lucky that you didn't wait until this became a real problem. Do yourself a favor... spend a few hours reading the Support threads. Immerse yourself in the misery and hopelessness and pain. Panic. Realize that all of this can happen to you, too.

Then take a deep breath and realize that you can still prevent this fate. Buy quality earplugs and carry them everywhere like your life depends on them. Learn to say no to loud events and the power of just leaving. Install that decibel meter that was recommended.

It takes only a single loud concert to land you in permanent tinnitus hell. Take this deadly seriously.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    8. OnceUponaTime
      Wishful

OnceUponaTime Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/11
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Take advice, stay away from loud noises and save yourself from this nightmare.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Nathan31301

Nathan31301 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/20
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      If I wear good earplugs, I am safe to be around loud noises tho right???

10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Nathan31301

Nathan31301 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/20
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      I just ordered a good pair

11. OnceUponaTime
      Wishful

OnceUponaTime Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/11
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      It wasn't enough for me. But everyone is different. Be careful.

12. fishbone
      Shitfaced

fishbone Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noise and very bad sickness
      Welcome to the forum! The best thing to do about tinnitus is being proactive, always plan and just take it day by day. A lot of young people may have a stigma about tinnitus and what should or not should be done. Since you have tinnitus be proactive on making sure that you protect your ears. Let people know, that you need to protect your ears. You are at the very beginner stage of tinnitus, it is barley noticeable.

I remember over 32 years ago when I first got tinnitus and it was just like yours. Very mild and not heard unless I was in a very quiet room. Now my tinnitus is very severe and hearing is bad as well. I have been though quite a bit with tinnitus and from EXPERIENCE can tell you that it can possibly get louder if you do not protect your ears.

Being upfront with people and letting them know about your ears and situation is what I would do. Being scared or nervous about tinnitus is natural and many have felt this way. I will tell you this much, all you can do TODAY is protect your ears, try to reduce your stress and live your life.

Try not to worry about the future, do the best today and let tomorrow be tomorrow. Stress and anxiety can possibly be just as bad as the noise. Trying to reduce and keeping our stress low is important when dealing with tinnitus.

Gaining support can be quite helpful when it comes to dealing with tinnitus. Gain it from this forum, but it is very important that you gain it from those that love you and care for you as well.

Tinnitus becomes a journey in life or it can become one. If it does become chronic, you need to develop a game plan to deal with it. Journal your habits and see what helps you and what does not. Each day take small baby steps and try to keep on moving forward.

• Like Like x 2
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    13. Brooklyn NY

Brooklyn NY Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      November 5, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      probably pepto bismo and aspercreme
      Hi, after 3 years of experience with tinnitus, I can say that ear plugs go everywhere I go, and are an absolute necessity if you have tinnitus. However, they have their limits . They do not help with loud bass sounds, and if amplified sound is loud enough, the sound will still get through to your inner ear. Good luck!