Tinnitus Loudness Scale?

Discussion in 'Support' started by OddV, Nov 17, 2014.

1. Chadilac

Chadilac Member

Tinnitus Since:
      June 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      2 months into my tinnitus and I would rate mine as a 8-9. I have to mask it during the day with white noise otherwise it drives me crazy. I can hear it all the time . The only time I don’t hear it is while in the shower or while out riding my bike. I use meds to sleep so I don’t seem to have issues sleeping but I do play white noise in the background while sleeping because it is recommended for habituation.

• Like Like x 1
    2. aot
      Depressed

aot Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2016. Worsened 11/2019.
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably noise induced, worsened due to noise exposur + flu
      Mine started as 6, then faded to a 2.

Then in November of 2019 it worsened to an 8, but gradually (and thankfully) faded to a 3.
      Currently having a spike, putting me at a 6. Hoping that it'll fade, trying to stay positive. (y)

• Hug Hug x 2
    3. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

DebInAustralia Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      I read a small study, whose findings suggested that unstructured white noise might cause further disinhibition, so I try to avoid this.

4. Bartoli

Bartoli Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2009,worsened 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Around 8, with bouts of severe distress.

• Hug Hug x 1
    5. Orions Pain
      Sad

Orions Pain Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      7-8 as far as loudness, but it feels like a 10 at times because of H. My T isn’t maskable in a sense that it tends to complete with any external noise

I think the type of sound is also important
      If I could exchange the droning/tuning fork hum sounds that I have for a white noise/field of crickets sound of the same volume or even a bit louder, I’d do so in a heart beat

• Hug Hug x 1
    6. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      My tinnitus changed in 2008 after 2nd noise trauma. I now have large fluctuations in intensity. Completely silent, mild, moderate, severe and very severe which is completely random. It has improved over the last 2 years and don't have to take clonazepam as often but there if I need it, when the tinnitus won't reduce by itself if severe for my than 2 to 3 days.

Michael

• Hug Hug x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    7. Rosco99

Rosco99 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      7/20
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hearing Loss
      I’d say I’m about the same as everything you said here.

Question: I’m new to this as well. I’ve been playing “Pink” noise in the background when I sleep. Do you know if white noise is better for habituation or is it all the same? I’ll switch if need be, I just found the Pink noise a little nicer.