Tinnitus Momentarily Disappears When About to Fall Asleep

Discussion in 'Support' started by LMTB03, Jul 10, 2021.

?

Has your tinnitus ever momentarily disappeared just before falling asleep?

1. Yes

2. No

Results are only viewable after voting.
    1. LMTB03

LMTB03 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Music / Headphones
      I was wondering if anyone else has had this experience that I have had a few times before? Over the past couple of years whilst dealing with my tinnitus, I've noticed one thing that stands out the most to me. When I am tired and I'm about to doze off, for a split second my tinnitus will completely fade or go away all together.

The thing is that this rarely occurs and when it does, I notice it straight away (obviously). Because of this, I become alert that my tinnitus has gone but when I realize, it comes straight back again. Only this time the tinnitus has slightly improved but it does eventually go back to its original state.

It happens as I'm about to fall asleep and I even sometimes have this occur more than one time in a single episode of trying to fall asleep!! It's amazing being able to hear silence again but the main point I am trying to get across is: Has anyone else experienced this or is it just me?

This was kind of hard to explain so that it makes sense. Please let me know if you would like me to reiterate anything.

I'd love to hear your responses!

:thankyousign:

2. Matchbox
      Wishful

Matchbox Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced, Prednisone (drones), Barotrauma (distortions)
      In the very beginning it would fade out as I went to bed. Like for the first month.

The only time I might not hear it is on the cusp of sleep, where my brain turns "off" but that's a pretty brief moment in time.

And sometimes that's where I'll get exploding head syndrome instead.

3. AfroSnowman
      Balanced

AfroSnowman Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Nonnatural energy source
      Yup exact same thing. It used to happen to me real consistently now it seems like a rarer occurrence. I try to hold that silence 1 second, 2 seconds, and then it slips through my mental fingers.

4. twa
      Busy

twa Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2017- mild /Sept. 2020-moderate
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      meds/acoustic trauma
      @LMTB03, I have just the opposite. When I wake up for a few seconds I don't hear it or it's very faint and then it starts up as I become more awake.

5. Stacken77
      Wishful

Stacken77 Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise (likely headphones & cars), Acoustic trauma did me in
      Definitely. I experience this very often. When I hear that my tinnitus cuts out, I know that I'm about to fall asleep, so it's always a nice reminder to me that sleep is still possible despite this cacophony.

I believe it has to do with the brain disconnecting the senses from our consciousness as we fall asleep. We can literally hear this happening when the tinnitus goes silent.
      I remember truly experiencing exploding head syndrome one time, it was rather horrific as the tinnitus increased progressively for a few seconds, thought my head would explode. Nowadays, what happens sometimes is, my brain cuts out the tinnitus as above, and I hear a small noise, maybe just my tummy rumbling or something, and it makes the tinnitus come back in a violent zap so I wake up - really obnoxious stuff! I think my hyperacusis is why I'm hyper-sensitive to such small noises, because it didn't happen before my major hyperacusis setback in March.